As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Refuses To Warranty PS3-UPDATE-THE CALL!!!

AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
System was received this year around the end of March as a gift. The system is broken and no longer can sync controllers.

Well I called Sony and at first everything went fine. Then when I told them it was a gift and I didn't have a receipt, they bought up how they said they would not warranty it and had to pay them 150$ in order for them to replace it.

any help from people who have had this happen to them?

UPDATE!!!

Well I called them up, and the supervisor hung up on me

Sent them an e-mail'

they called me back and said they would fix it for free.

Now I wait for the box

Algertman on

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Did you register it with Sony's website? Who did you receive it from? How did they pay for it? If credit card, could they get a statement for that month? Some stores can also print off receipts if they have the credit card.

I thought Sony could tell when it was purchased based upon the serial number (at least I know it has to be scanned into the register before they can be purchased).

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Don't know how it was paid. I do know it came from Best Buy and a reward zone card was used. Would that be helpful?

Algertman on
  • Options
    Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Personally, I'd ask the person who bought it. Hopefully they'll still have the reciept kicking around somewhere.

Other than that, I can't help you.

Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    OK thanks

Algertman on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    should have demanded a supervisor until you got someone who didn't think you were lying

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    should have demanded a supervisor until you got someone who didn't think you were lying

Well I still got the case #s that were have given to me. Don't see how they would think I'm lying. I've been online with the system

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

Well I still got the case #s that were have given to me. Don't see how they would think I'm lying. I've been online with the system

They have ZERO grounds to deny your warranty right now, unless they are assuming that you bought it second hand or stole it.

Recieving something as a gift NEVER invalidates the warranty.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

They have ZERO grounds to deny your warranty right now, unless they are assuming that you bought it second hand or stole it.

I can;t call them back tonight, but I will tomorrow after my finals.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Yell if you have to, because they are ABSOLUTELY dicking you over here.

You are the original owner of their product, and they are obligated to honor their warranty to you.

I'm not kidding, keep escalating it, and eventually you will get a supervisor who realizes that you mean business, and things will get done. It is unfortunate that things have to work this way, but that's how to do it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    OK thank you very much. You have been very helpful

Algertman on
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    A VALID PROOF OF PURCHASE IN THE FORM OF A BILL OF SALE OR RECEIPT FROM AN AUTHORIZED RETAILER WITH THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE MUST BE PRESENTED TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE.

Although I think that's retarded BS. I've been through like, 3 Xbox 360's and each time I had to call MS they never even mentioned a receipt. They had it right in their computers what the original date of purchase was.

Also, that page says absolutely nothing about the warranty being non-transferable. So buying a used PS3 does not mean you aren't entitled to the warranty, just the warranty as it started from the original date of purchase.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    A VALID PROOF OF PURCHASE IN THE FORM OF A BILL OF SALE OR RECEIPT FROM AN AUTHORIZED RETAILER WITH THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE MUST BE PRESENTED TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE.

Although I think that's retarded BS. I've been through like, 3 Xbox 360's and each time I had to call MS they never even mentioned a receipt. They had it right in their computers what the original date of purchase was.

Also, that page says absolutely nothing about the warranty being non-transferable. So buying a used PS3 does not mean you aren't entitled to the warranty, just the warranty as it started from the original date of purchase.

I'm pretty sure that unless the whole reciept thing is explicit on the outside of the box, they really have no grounds there, since that is not at all an expected condition.

Keep on them and they will cave.

It can't hurt to see if you can get a copy of the reciept, though, just to make your own life easier.

Evander on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

You are the original owner of their product, and they are obligated to honor their warranty to you.

I'm not kidding, keep escalating it, and eventually you will get a supervisor who realizes that you mean business, and things will get done. It is unfortunate that things have to work this way, but that's how to do it.

They cant just give service to any fuckwad who calls them up, they need total confirmation if they are gonna use their resources to fix it.

They aren't dicking you, they are following procedure.

I work in retail and sometimes, things just don't work out, and 99% of the times it's because the customer made a small mistake earlier on.

You need the receipt and the PS3 warranty handbook.

ALSO: Are the controllers charged?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

They cant just give service to any fuckwad who calls them up, they need total confirmation if they are gonna use their resources to fix it.

I work in retail and sometimes, things just don't work out, and 99% of the times it's because the customer made a small mistake earlier on.

He's not dealing with the store he bought it from, he's dealing with the manufacturer. The serial number should be enough, possibly the UPC off of the box, but essentially he doesn't need to prove to them what manner it was paid in, just that he is in possession of it.

Evander on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

He's not dealing with the store he bought it from, he's dealing with the manufacturer. The serial number should be enough, possibly the UPC off of the box, but essentially he doesn't need to prove to them what manner it was paid in, just that he is in possession of it.

They really do need proof.

Microsoft isnt bothering due to the warranty change and the sheer number of calls they are getting.

And for all Sony knows it is stolen. The person he calle probably did trust him, but in the 1/1000 chance it was stolen, they need to follow procedure on that, or they will be dropped on their ass and have charges pressed. That's how it works where I am, that is probably very similar to Sony

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    they need to follow procedure on that, or they will be dropped on their ass and have charges pressed. That's how it works where I am, that is probably very similar to Sony

WTF?? They will be sued or charged if they provide warranty service on a stolen unit? That is insane. Receipts are pretty much an ancient technology no longer needed in cases where the transaction is captured at the pos. I know from working the legal side of retail rebate promotions that most of the hoops in the promotion are to discourage people from using them. I suspect the same is true for receipts and warranty service.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    they need to follow procedure on that, or they will be dropped on their ass and have charges pressed. That's how it works where I am, that is probably very similar to Sony

WTF?? They will be sued or charged if they provide warranty service on a stolen unit? That is insane. Receipts are pretty much an ancient technology no longer needed in cases where the transaction is captured at the pos. I know from working the legal side of retail rebate promotions that most of the hoops in the promotion are to discourage people from using them. I suspect the same is true for receipts and warranty service.

It is assisting in theft, and all sorts of other shit.

At my orientation for where I work, the guy running it said they can press a myriad of charges, depending on whether they want to cause a slap on the wrist or a permanent scarring.

Alot fo the time it is how they keep their shit secure.

Also, I bought my PS3 with cash, so receipts are pretty important. No store should need to keep a 50 Terabyte database just so people dont need receipts. Also in the cases of people at say wendy's buying bread at woolworths for their hotdogs, they need the receipt for taxation purposes and to show their boss.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How long is the PS3 warranty good for anyway? I didn't think it would still be covered after 8 months.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

It is assisting in theft, and all sorts of other shit.

It has been easy for a while for big retailers to capture the transaction and record it at the POS but even if it wasn't, by your logic a place like EBGames or Gamestop couldn't exists since they have no way of knowing whether all the used stuff traded in was stolen or not. You will note they never ask for proof of ownership when they buy stuff from you. They just need to know who you are.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    How long is the PS3 warranty good for anyway? I didn't think it would still be covered after 8 months.

Guy on the phone told me 1 year

Algertman on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    And anyway, if they were doing it to "prevent theft" the simple way of doing that would be to have a system in place so that when you get your shit stolen you can ring up customer service and have that PS3tagged as stolen.

That way when it logs onto the PSN they can go, "Hey look there it is!".

Blake T on
  • Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It is absolute BS if they are claiming you need a recipt. Recipt's are pretty much only required to return things to a retail store, as it is the stores recipt. You also need them for rebates and other things, but for warranty's, absolutely not. My HDTV has a serial number, I bought a 2 yr warranty on it, no recipt required, when it was purchased the serial number was marked on the system and given the warranty, simple. This is done all the time, especially with pre-paid cellphones where you need to ring it out at a register to "activate" it before you can actually use it. Unique serial numbers are used for all sorts of things, from your Wii, your 360, and even your Car's VIN can be tied to a manufacturer warranty. Dont take any of that nonsense.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    jlrx wrote: »
    It is absolute BS if they are claiming you need a recipt. Recipt's are pretty much only required to return things to a retail store, as it is the stores recipt. You also need them for rebates and other things, but for warranty's, absolutely not. My HDTV has a serial number, I bought a 2 yr warranty on it, no recipt required, when it was purchased the serial number was marked on the system and given the warranty, simple. This is done all the time, especially with pre-paid cellphones where you need to ring it out at a register to "activate" it before you can actually use it. Unique serial numbers are used for all sorts of things, from your Wii, your 360, and even your Car's VIN can be tied to a manufacturer warranty. Dont take any of that nonsense.

That's another thing that's odd. I've electronic devices, even from SONY, crap out on me in the past and I never needed a receipt

Algertman on
  • Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    jlrx wrote: »

That's another thing that's odd. I've electronic devices, even from SONY, crap out on me in the past and I never needed a receipt

In reality, the only proof they need is the device itself. Ususally a company secures the item on your credit card, sends you a replacement and packaging to send in your broken one and wham your done. If you dont send in a broken one in X amount of time, then bam you've just bought one!

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    And anyway, if they were doing it to "prevent theft" the simple way of doing that would be to have a system in place so that when you get your shit stolen you can ring up customer service and have that PS3tagged as stolen.

If they have the serial numbers they pretty much have a system such as that.

They arent trying to keep themselves from getting sued[ha ha ha, assisting in petty theft, what in the world will Sony ever do!?!?!?"]

They are trying to not pay money out to as many people for defective products as possible.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They really do need proof.

Microsoft isnt bothering due to the warranty change and the sheer number of calls they are getting.

And for all Sony knows it is stolen. The person he calle probably did trust him, but in the 1/1000 chance it was stolen, they need to follow procedure on that, or they will be dropped on their ass and have charges pressed. That's how it works where I am, that is probably very similar to Sony

They have proof that the system was purchased. When the system is rung through at retail, the store scans the serial number. The reason for this is two fold. One, for record keeping on the part of the store (they know which system they sold, if you return it they know you're returning the same one). The other, and this is important, is to notify the manufacturer that the system in question has been sold, and to begin it's warranty coverage. This has been the case since the SNES, with it's tear-off mail in card that retailers took care of. Sony uses the "we need the receipt" line to keep from having to offer warranty service on defective units. They were doing this with the PSX, PS2, and PSP, and now with the PS3. It's horseshit, and no one should have to put up with it.

That said, OP was foolish for taking "No" for an answer. Call back, escalate, escalate, escalate. Be polite, but firm. The site can be a bit sensationalist at times, but the advice here is great for situations like this.

Edit to trim quote tree.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    lolsony.

I was actually going to post that link from consumerist but I see now I am too late.

Shogun on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To get the 5 free blu-ray movies you had to mail them your receipt along with the bar-code. If mine broke and they pulled this shit on me I'd kindly point that out, and if they still tried to give me trouble I'd shortly and suddenly be one big smelly shoe richer, if you catch my drift.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To get the 5 free blu-ray movies you had to mail them your receipt along with the bar-code. If mine broke and they pulled this shit on me I'd kindly point that out, and if they still tried to give me trouble I'd shortly and suddenly be one big smelly shoe richer, if you catch my drift.

I'm pretty sure it specified to send a copy. At least that's what I sent. Not that it justifies Sony acting like an ass.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »

They arent trying to keep themselves from getting sued[ha ha ha, assisting in petty theft, what in the world will Sony ever do!?!?!?"]

They are trying to not pay money out to as many people for defective products as possible.

It isnt about Sony being busted for petty theft, it's about the operator.
    The operator would be breaching procedure, and they would be the ones getting in shit.

The fact you thought I was refering to Sony in that statement, then attempted to belittle me for it really does not bode well for your cognitive capacity.

Also, all barcodes on the one type product are the same. They can tell that such and such from such and such batch was sold, but they can't pin down one console.
    Also, I have a feeling the theif would be able to obtain the serial number if they broke into someones house to steal a PS3. That provides little security for the true owner of the PS3.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The operator would be breaching procedure, and they would be the ones getting in shit.

The fact you thought I was refering to Sony in that statement, then attempted to belittle me for it really does not bode well for your cognitive capacity.

Also, all barcodes on the one type product are the same. They can tell that such and such from such and such batch was sold, but they can't pin down one console.
    Also, I have a feeling the theif would be able to obtain the serial number if they broke into someones house to steal a PS3. That provides little security for the true owner of the PS3.

What he ment is the real owner writes down the serial number and calls Sony saying "Someone stole my PS3, this is my serial number." and they mark it as stolen.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2007

What he ment is the real owner writes down the serial number and calls Sony saying "Someone stole my PS3, this is my serial number." and they mark it as stolen.

I guess that could work, but the receipt is a definite proof of purchase, You might be able to use the serial number, but they'd rather have the receipt up front and not have to fuck around for half an hour with every console they get in.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I guess that could work, but the receipt is a definite proof of purchase, You might be able to use the serial number, but they'd rather have the receipt up front and not have to fuck around for half an hour with every console they get in.

Well I have never had to supply a receipt for any of the times i have had to send in video cameras, my PSP, or my 360.. So saying they need it for a PS3 is total bs when they took my PSP just fine.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Well I have never had to supply a receipt for any of the times i have had to send in video cameras, my PSP, or my 360.. So saying they need it for a PS3 is total bs when they took my PSP just fine.

I guess the PS3 just has extra security sorrounding it then.

Where I am, you need the receipt and the warranty booklet for anything you buy if you want to return or fix it.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never returned a console but for computer returns to the manufacturer all you need is the serial number.

I used to do around 5-10 returns a day for defective shit and every pc hardware manufacturer only required the S/N: . Sony is screwing you around.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

So true. When you are dealing with big companies you either demand respect and good service or you roll over and get you consumerist virginity taken.

Sueve on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

On the contrary. There's the UPC which is the same for all consoles, but there is also a barcode that is unique to the serial number. I never registered my 360, but when I needed service, I read off my serial number to them, and they were able to tell me where I bought it, and the day I bought it. They do track this stuff.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Where I am, you need the receipt and the warranty booklet for anything you buy if you want to return or fix it.

The warranty booklet? You're kidding, right? If some customer service rep convinced you of that, you were taken, big-time. Even if you're outside the US, I just can't imagine a booklet that usually gets lost/thrown out in minutes is required for a warranty.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

The warranty booklet? You're kidding, right? If some customer service rep convinced you of that, you were taken, big-time. Even if you're outside the US, I just can't imagine a booklet that usually gets lost/thrown out in minutes is required for a warranty.

It isn't meant to be thrown out, it is the fucking warranty conditions.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Man you Americans keep getting boned on consumer protection laws.

Echo on