Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

2456758

Posts

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Oh damn. Turns out I didn't read your post as well as I thought I had.
    Ah, goody.

    t Darmak: it shows that good artists are a lot cheaper than good game designers. ;)

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    re: Shattered Galaxy:I got a squad of 6 Shades to level 16 and Eagles to 13, and changed factions so I could play on the other planet, figuring that if I could switch from one to another, I could switch back later.

    So now I have my level 16 shades and level 13 Eagles stuck on a planet where everyone out-levels me by about 40. You might think I could try the caverns in town to level up a bit, but the aliens there wreck all my units in a few shots. Needless to say, that won't do at all. And I'm not starting over.

  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    re: Shattered Galaxy:I got a squad of 6 Shades to level 16 and Eagles to 13, and changed factions so I could play on the other planet, figuring that if I could switch from one to another, I could switch back later.

    So now I have my level 16 shades and level 13 Eagles stuck on a planet where everyone out-levels me by about 40. You might think I could try the caverns in town to level up a bit, but the aliens there wreck all my units in a few shots. Needless to say, that won't do at all. And I'm not starting over.

    I'd generally advise starting over in this situation: The "veteran" planet is dominated by people who are not only 40 levels above you, but some of them have had 20 or more "reincarnations" (Paying customers at the level cap can periodically trade their level and units for a larger unit hangar and more stat points - there's people who've done this to the point that at level 1 they're effectively already level 30). On top of that, paying customers have several units, some of which at high levels are immensely powerful.

    If you're going to play Shattered Galaxy for free, my advice is to stay on the lowbie planet with its level cap. You see some of the pay units here, but they aren't quite as impressive as they are on the veteran planet, particularly since they aren't backed up by 50-60 extra stat points from reincarnations. Personally, I felt the lowbie planet had more strategic fights than the higher level planet. Units can't take nearly as much beating, so it's very necessary to hunt down artillery units and specters, rather than just moving high level tanks onto the capture point. A single nuke can turn a game in the last few seconds, too, whereas many high level units can shrug off artillery fire or nukes.

  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    re: Shattered Galaxy:I got a squad of 6 Shades to level 16 and Eagles to 13, and changed factions so I could play on the other planet, figuring that if I could switch from one to another, I could switch back later.

    So now I have my level 16 shades and level 13 Eagles stuck on a planet where everyone out-levels me by about 40. You might think I could try the caverns in town to level up a bit, but the aliens there wreck all my units in a few shots. Needless to say, that won't do at all. And I'm not starting over.

    I'd generally advise starting over in this situation: The "veteran" planet is dominated by people who are not only 40 levels above you, but some of them have had 20 or more "reincarnations" (Paying customers at the level cap can periodically trade their level and units for a larger unit hangar and more stat points - there's people who've done this to the point that at level 1 they're effectively already level 30). On top of that, paying customers have several units, some of which at high levels are immensely powerful.

    If you're going to play Shattered Galaxy for free, my advice is to stay on the lowbie planet with its level cap. You see some of the pay units here, but they aren't quite as impressive as they are on the veteran planet, particularly since they aren't backed up by 50-60 extra stat points from reincarnations. Personally, I felt the lowbie planet had more strategic fights than the higher level planet. Units can't take nearly as much beating, so it's very necessary to hunt down artillery units and specters, rather than just moving high level tanks onto the capture point. A single nuke can turn a game in the last few seconds, too, whereas many high level units can shrug off artillery fire or nukes.

    That's a bit moot seeing as I can't change to a faction on Relic ("No factions are available at this time." when I check the pledge thing), and I don't intend to start over. :P

    KRU support wasn't too helpful:
    "The Support Staff can no longer assist with faction movement. The only way to switch factions is to use the star portal [which I can't do, since no factions are available to switch to]. If you are trying to return to the lower level planet, you can use the /relicmove command. Transitioning to the upper planet can be tough to do. I suggest sticking it out. Even a devastating defeat should give your units close to a full level of exp. Soon enough you will be fully competitive in the upper planet."

    I might have considered paying down the road, but if they can't even click a button to let me get my bearings in an environment that I stand a chance in, I don't want to bother with it.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dream of Mirror Online
    European version
    Penny-Arcade thread
    Open Beta--will be Free to play
    Cell shaded graphics, lots of classes and a system that makes teaming up with other people actually interesting. The Goons of SA also seem to appreciate this, so there must be some redeeming value to it? A note for European players: we can't play with North America at the moment.

    Off the record: if it weren't for playing Baldur's Gate II right now and almost having a new PC so I can play demos of new games (I'm cheap and short on time) I would be playing this right now.

    Oh also, Secrets of Solstice (sp?) is hitting open beta. If you appreciated RO, you will probably like this as well.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Armada Online

    Technically still in alpha but it's recently had another large dolop of content so it's looking good. Looslely based on the DC game Armada this is Asteroids the MMO. With giant bio-mechanical enemy crabs.

    Six races split into two factions. The game is based around several different zones. All zones are semi-instanced, a maximum of 16 players can be in a zone, if you try and join a zone that's full a new instance will start and any other players who join will join that zone.

    Delta 3 is a typical PvE zone where you fly around shooting the Aramda and gaining XP, tresure, and influence (effectively money). Influence can be used to purchase ship upgrades that persist across all zones and it can also be used, along with treasure, to buy a better ship.

    Haven is a newbie friendly zone, help escort refugee ships while fighting of the Armada and upgrading your ship. Unlike Delta 3Influence and ship upgrades here only exists whilst you are in the zone. Leave and they're gone. Once you complete the mission you get a large dollop of XP, you get none if you leave early.

    The Burn is for players over level 10. It's basically tower defence in space. Defend the star base by purchasing temporary upgrades that allow you to deploy turrets. Hunt down the rogue alien Brains otherwise you're in for a world of hurt later on. Influence and XP work like they do in Haven.

    The Neutral Zone is anything but. This si the PvP zone with players split by faction, maximum 8v8. Support NPC constructor ships as they fly out and build bases at various asteroids. Build a line of bases across the map to the opposition side and then assault their star base for victory. Influence and XP work like they do in Haven. Even low level players can be useful by helping to mine asteroids or picking up support powers like Steel Messiah, Echo Locator and Sabotage to make you punch way above your weight in certain situations.

    Check out the Wiki to find out what powers require what other powers in the various zones.

    I have a thoughful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/
    I made a game, it has penguins in it. WANG gets you money off.
    Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Added it, thanks for the info, I copy/paste'd the first few lines. Game looks pretty. :^:

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Added it, thanks for the info, I copy/paste'd the first few lines. Game looks pretty. :^:

    As a game it's easy on eye. One thing I forgot to mention is that in Delta 3 you can choose to solo mobs but at low-levels I think that's fairly similar to pulling teeth as a level of fun. Join a group (and there's always a group around who'll want another member) and your fun and influence/Xp gain increase exponentially. All 16 players in an instance formed together in one convoy of hot plasma death? Oh yes.

    You need 4-6000 influence to get a tech-level 2 ship. Join a group and you'll easy have that in 4 hours of unstrenuous play.

    I have a thoughful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/
    I made a game, it has penguins in it. WANG gets you money off.
    Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hm, kinda silly that all players aren't automatically grouped, then.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Hm, kinda silly that all players aren't automatically grouped, then.

    Grouping isn't a formal mechanism, if any alien gets killed within a certain radius of you then you get Influence/XP even if you did diddly squat. Grouping simply consists of being close to other people (there is a follow ship command to make this easier)

    EDIT: So I suppose in a way players are automatically grouped.

    I have a thoughful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/
    I made a game, it has penguins in it. WANG gets you money off.
    Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ah, that explains.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • citizen059citizen059 on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeamRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Update to Dungeon Runners, they're giving free players in-game ads in exchange for some extras:
    Spoiler:

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That should make the game a bit more freebooter friendly. :3

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I gave SG another shot, and it looks like it's fairly easy to get units up to decent levels once you know what you're doing.

  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I downloaded and tried out Irth. Apparently, the people that designed the game have never played a single video game in their entire life. Not only is the default control scheme so convoluted and confusing that it makes it impossible to play, the options to bind the keys are so vague and bloated I decided it was a better use of my time to just not play it.

    Seriously, I'm not looking for "dur dur Halo" simple, but fuck it if I have to decipher 80 keybindings that aren't grouped in any fashion but instead just all thrown into one list alpha-numerically (instead of in subgroups such as movement/combat/etc).

  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does anybody know how I can get another email from Armada Online? I already registered it seems, but I don't have my username and password.

    JKKaAGp.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does anybody know how I can get another email from Armada Online? I already registered it seems, but I don't have my username and password.

    As far as I can tell there's no automated way to do this. However, at the moment Armada Online doesn't do any e-mail validation so I think you can use a completely nade up e-mail address at a nonexistant domain to sign up.

    I have a thoughful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/
    I made a game, it has penguins in it. WANG gets you money off.
    Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In trying to find an MMO that myself and a friend could partake in, I tried out Asda Story,
    Here is my miniminireview:

    I did the usual first quests, kill some wolves which are actually badgers, blah blah blah. The people that were digging outside of the town when I first saw them were still digging about 20 minutes later when I was doing more quests.
    Something tells me they have been and will be doing it for longer than that. Uninstalled.

    GxewS.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Soooo, you were having fun with your pal, you looked at some people who (to you) didn't look like they were having fun and decided to uninstall?

    Did I get that right?

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It was more like:
    I really wasn't having all that much fun as the combat consisted of clicking the sword button, waiting for my character to kill the enemy, then repeating.
    The controls were mouse only, no WASD, which was a large pain.
    Then, upon realizing that a substantial part of the populace was sitting around hitting a single button once in a while in hopes of finding items for large periods of time, I decided to uninstall.

    I admit it does make sense if you're looking for a social game, as it allows characters to talk while only having to hit the dig button once in a while, but I prefer games with some semblance of depth, which the game offered little to no hope of.

    GxewS.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh, aha.

    Yeah, that sounds a lot like that other abortion of the same company: Fiesta. =_=;;

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • LlyLly Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Not sure if these count as MMO's but Travian and Tribal Wars are pretty fantastic. Browser based and free unless you want additional functionality that in tribalwars just makes your life easier, in travian it gives you an edge over non-payers but not a huge one.

    I'd say more about them but i think they are fairly well known so it'd probably redundant to spend ages summarising them.

    Great list by the way. Downloading perfectworld as we speak and playing 9dragons as it downloads. 9dragons seems kinda fun for a while but the click to move system always turns me off, and the combat is very uninvolving. Also seems too grindbased for my tastes.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I added them. :3

    Yes, 9dragons is grindgrindgrind.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DOMO while slightly grindy,is a pretty awesome game.I was surprised by the fact that it had story sequences,not to mention save for a few small grammatical errors not very engrish.

    I also found how awesome some parts of this game is,I sold some of my lower swordsman armor to a NPC,only to gain experience for doing so.

    Pretty nifty if you ask me.

  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User
    edited December 2007
    OH btw Fury is f2p now and I hear the grind is now changed to a brick wall to the moon. But now sure if it can be categorize in the MMO-RPG list...

    Haven't tried it yet, too many things to play! D:

    camo_sig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    OH btw Fury is f2p now and I hear the grind is now changed to a brick wall to the moon. But now sure if it can be categorize in the MMO-RPG list...

    Haven't tried it yet, too many things to play! D:
    That went f2p fast. XD It's a clear indication that it sucked balls. :P

    I'll put it on the list.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User
    edited December 2007
    The company that made/runs Fury, Auran, is going out of business. You should probably mention that one.

    Game programmer
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    JNighthawk wrote: »
    The company that made/runs Fury, Auran, is going out of business. You should probably mention that one.
    ahahhaa

    I wrote that they were probably trying to cut their losses, I guess I was sort of spot on. :P

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • LlyLly Registered User
    edited December 2007
    re: Perfect World. I was slightly taken aback when they demanded an ID number/password number for account registration, but then tried 01234567 which worked. There seems to be no verification at all so don't let it put you off. Will report back at some point if i like it or not. I saq a screenshot of someone flying a huge glowing sword so it looks promisingly awesome! (I love ridiculous games)


    edit: oh and according to MMORPG.com the Fury company is retaining a few people to maintain fury, although how long for who knows.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So apparently CABAL is coming out with a new free expansion for Europe: http://www.cabalonline.com/news/view.asp?articleID=377&catid=6

    Still no word on a free release for the US. Is the game making enough profit there or what?

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, in a desperate fit of boredom I checked out Secret of Solstice, which is in open beta now. Game is A LOT like RO, except there are fewer classes and less to do. All the quests and gear are tied to your level, so that at level 16 you'll be able to use one set of gear, the next at level 22, and on and on. Also, you can't even leave the starting town until you're level 10, and you get there by completing 10 fetch quests, of which only the last is a pain, and that's only because the Engrish neatly obscures exactly where you're supposed to go. When you finally get your "class," you'll find that your actual choices are VERY limited. You can be a fighter who uses a sword and shield, and that's it, or a rogue who duel-wields daggers, and that's it, etc. Skills are also very limited, from what I could find out. And finding things out is a chore; the official website is useless for actual details on the game, and there are no fansites, at least according to Google, and most info around is still based on the closed beta. I'm sure that will change with time, and maybe the game will open up some, but right now it's quite bleh.

    Really, if you want to play it, just play iRO instead.

    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated August 18th - Monster Hunting
    stream
  • MithMith Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    So apparently CABAL is coming out with a new free expansion for Europe: http://www.cabalonline.com/news/view.asp?articleID=377&catid=6

    Still no word on a free release for the US. Is the game making enough profit there or what?

    There's a US version (ogplanet) closed beta apparently starting tomorrow and scheduled to last all of five days.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mith wrote: »
    There's a US version (ogplanet) closed beta apparently starting tomorrow and scheduled to last all of five days.
    Not released at all over there, alrighty. o_O

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Cpt. MurpheyCpt. Murphey Registered User
    edited January 2008
    The new version of Space Cowboy Online is going to start beta testing on thursday, there is currently no one with a license in the US for it and gameforge hasn't specified if they are going to ip block non-euro players.

    http://board.flysis.com/



  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The new version of Space Cowboy Online is going to start beta testing on thursday, there is currently no one with a license in the US for it and gameforge hasn't specified if they are going to ip block non-euro players.

    http://board.flysis.com/
    That's just a message board, do you have a site/topic with some information I can skim over?

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • LlyLly Registered User
    edited January 2008
    looks like an mmo flying shootemup.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05aZngUeQI

    Looks interesting.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    looks like an mmo flying shootemup.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05aZngUeQI

    Looks interesting.
    Yeah, I know what Space Cowboy is. It was one of the better free MMOs out there, but it stopped a few weeks ago. If this is a decent restart I'd like to know more about it, but the fact that their main site is a webforum does not bode well.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Cpt. MurpheyCpt. Murphey Registered User
    edited January 2008
    The main site isn't up yet, and the client isn't going to be released today as planned due to security issues.
    There really is no reason to be concerned about it being a decent restart or not.
    Flysis is Space Cowboy, its just has bug fixes and improvements that we never got through gpotato.



  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The main site isn't up yet, and the client isn't going to be released today as planned due to security issues.
    There really is no reason to be concerned about it being a decent restart or not.
    Flysis is Space Cowboy, its just has bug fixes and improvements that we never got through gpotato.
    I'll add it to the list, at least. I don't have time for anything other than uni and Jade Empire at the moment, but I'll probably check it out in a few months.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Will they be changing the amount of experience gained?

    It's a real killjoy having to kill the same shitty AI over and over again just to get to the good pvp parts.

This discussion has been closed.