Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Wiimote API?

mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/archive/2007/03/14/1879033.aspx

Somebody pinch me this is too good to be true...

edit: I'll make a better OP later right now I'm just speechless.

mrcheesypants on
Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.

• FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Looks nice, and doesn't have the crazy EULA of Glovepie.

• rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is pretty hot.

• mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Getting Connected

This will likely be the biggest sticking point. The Wiimote will not pair and communicate successfully with every Bluetooth device and stack on the planet. For example, I can get the device to connect to my desktop's MSI Star Key 2.0 USB adapter which uses the WIDCOMM stack, however I cannot get it to connect to my laptop's Dell Truemobile 350 adapter with the standard Windows stack. There's little I can do to help get you connected if the following steps do not work. Either it's going to work, or it isn't. Cross your fingers...

Only downside I could see but I'm only a novice programmer and I haven't touched the API.

Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Sorry to bump something old, but I hate starting threads that will probably just die.

Has this ever been posted here? Basically just examples of using the Wii Remote as a PC interface device. The cool thing is, he doesn't use the remote actually, but instead puts an LED in a pen and moves it around. The result is essentially a really big multi-touch screen, except without the cost.

He also has a weird Minority Report demo where he puts reflective tape on his fingers and then tracks them, which looks kinda useless, unless you're really into the whole eyeToy thing.

• PolagoPolago Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Well, i'll be checking this out. :D

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    does the interactive controller using the wiimote as a camera for a multitouch surface work in linux? I was going to build a multi touch display for my htpc into a coffee table, but bluetooth/wireless cameras are expensive, a wiimote is 50$ (and wireless usb converters are 200$+). this would be perfect.

hmmmm maybe I can write something since its just C#..... who knows

steam_sig.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That's awesome.

"For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    does the interactive controller using the wiimote as a camera for a multitouch surface work in linux? I was going to build a multi touch display for my htpc into a coffee table, but bluetooth/wireless cameras are expensive, a wiimote is 50$ (and wireless usb converters are 200$+). this would be perfect.

hmmmm maybe I can write something since its just C#..... who knows

http://www.wiili.org/Main_Page

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell