As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's worth owning on Sega 32x?

CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm looking for 32X suggestions. I know you're all going to just say "Kolibri! It's arguably the best hummingbird-based shooter on the 32X." (HA HA), but I'd like to know if it's a joke or if the game is actually any good.

I haven't played my SEGA Genesis 32x in a while, but I was happy to find it still connected when I needed to test my most recent purchases:
Star Wars Arcade (dupe - already own)
Cosmic Carnage
Virtua Racing Deluxe
and...
KNUCKLES' CHAOTIX

I was excited about CHAOTIX because I have been waiting to play it for over ten years, but that excitement waned as soon as I started listening to the sound test... ugh. After doing a little training, I tried a little of the single player and found it slow, cumbersome, and boring. The 3D special stage was interesting until I fell through the floor.

I *LOVED* Sonic & Knuckles, so I was really looking forward to this. After a disappointment like CHAOTIX, what is left to try? I already have Doom and Shadow Squadron, along with the 32X/CD game Supreme Warrior (my Sega CD doesn't work, so I'm stuck with my crappy 3DO version).

CZroe on

• apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    You forgot the part where the 32x is, itself, not worth owning CZ.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had a 32x when I was younger but sold it. So a few months back I have a nostalgic urge to re-acquaint myself with the 32x and buy one off eBay. Kinda sad that I did. Chaotix was disappointing to me as well, whereas I could play the Genesis Sonic games forever, Chaotix really did seem frustratingly boring.

The only 32x game I actually owned when I was younger, was Kolibri. I sold it, but bought it again here the past month. It's... um... an okay game. It's fun for awhile, and slightly strange: You're a hummingbird. Uh-oh, a giant volcano/comet/something happens that changes the world. Wow, there are crystals that pump out random power-ups. I'm a hummingbird that is shooting deadly lasers at killer bees and dragonflies. That's pretty much it. But I do recommend it, it's fun, fairly hard, and makes for a good experience.

Geod on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the only 32X game I remember owning was DOOM.

Evander on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Mortal Kombat 2, NBA Jam, and Wrestlemania: Arcade ports are all very good. I've heard Tempo was a solid little title and Blackthorne is a great game.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Get Space Harrier and After Burner. Pretty much flawless arcade conversions.

Also pick up Kolibri

And fucking definitely, DEFINITELY make sure you pick up Virtua Fighter. it's better than the saturn port.

TheSonicRetard on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    You forgot the part where the 32x is, itself, not worth owning CZ.

It is when it came from a thrift store for pennies (not sure of the amount, but it was likely under $8 several years ago). My friend wasn't terribly disappointed when he bought it new back in the day with Doom included, but I couldn't STAND it. I'm sure he got it after one of the major price drops. As bad as the SNES Doom was with missing levels and 1-sided sprites, I was playing it on my SNES XBAND modem and just couldn't take the graphics and audio down-grade on the 32X. He was CONVINCED that it was better than the FX2 SNES version though (probably to justify his purchase).
    Geod wrote: »
    I had a 32x when I was younger but sold it. So a few months back I have a nostalgic urge to re-acquaint myself with the 32x and buy one off eBay. Kinda sad that I did. Chaotix was disappointing to me as well, whereas I could play the Genesis Sonic games forever, Chaotix really did seem frustratingly boring.

The only 32x game I actually owned when I was younger, was Kolibri. I sold it, but bought it again here the past month. It's... um... an okay game. It's fun for awhile, and slightly strange: You're a hummingbird. Uh-oh, a giant volcano/comet/something happens that changes the world. Wow, there are crystals that pump out random power-ups. I'm a hummingbird that is shooting deadly lasers at killer bees and dragonflies. That's pretty much it. But I do recommend it, it's fun, fairly hard, and makes for a good experience.

As I now understand it, it's from the makers of Ecco the Dolphin series, so I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.
    Herby wrote: »
    The Mortal Kombat 2, NBA Jam, and Wrestlemania: Arcade ports are all very good. I've heard Tempo was a solid little title and Blackthorne is a great game.

I forgot about Mortal Kombat 2! I know it existed for the Saturn also, but I don't own a version even close to the arcade original. I own the DOS NBA Jam TE, so I already have a really good version of that. Heh, I even have the NBA Jam Sessions audio CD. PURE CHEESE. :D It always bugged me that the Genesis XBAND didn't support TE but the SNES one did. I always played it on my friend's Genesis XBAND because it let us play 2-on-2 over the phone (the XBAND patched in 4p support over two Genesis consoles without an adapter). The SNES one may have done the same, but I never tried it out. As for Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, my friends forced me to play alot of that game on Genesis and SNES, but I hate wrestling and I'm glad they forgot about it. :P
    Get Space Harrier and After Burner. Pretty much flawless arcade conversions.

Also pick up Kolibri

And fucking definitely, DEFINITELY make sure you pick up Virtua Fighter. it's better than the saturn port.

I was waiting for you. :D I will definitely get each of those when I spot them. I had a lot of fun playing the modern After Burner when I took my nephew to Chuck E Cheese this Summer. This may sound like a stupid question, but is the original Virtua Fighter a good entry point to the series? Mortal Kombat II was so much better than the original, I never even bothered with it. Of course, the Street Fighter series is a more extreme example.

I hope these are easy to find outside of eBay. So far, every thrift store and independant game store around here has a ton of new sealed 32X golf games, though I forget the exact title.

CZroe on
    edited December 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    I was waiting for you. :D I will definitely get each of those when I spot them. I had a lot of fun playing the modern After Burner when I took my nephew to Chuck E Cheese this Summer. This may sound like a stupid question, but is the original Virtua Fighter a good entry point to the series? Mortal Kombat II was so much better than the original, I never even bothered with it. Of course, the Street Fighter series is a more extreme example.

I hope these are easy to find outside of eBay. So far, every thrift store and independant game store around here has a ton of new sealed 32X golf games, though I forget the exact title.

Golf something 36 holes starring fred whatshisface? not that great a game.

VF is definitely still great. All VFs are built upon the previous game, so they kinda build onto each other. As such, VF1 is probably the BEST place to hop on board.

VF2 is much better, though. That's just testament to how great VF2 is, though, not how bad VF1 is. I believe the 32X port of VF1 MIGHT be missing a few moves, but trust me, never buy the saturn port over the 32X port. the 32X port is much much better in terms of playability.

Virtua Fighter Remix is the supreme VF1 port, however.

TheSonicRetard on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was always fond of Zaxxon Motherbase 2000.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Get that jurassic park game.

Shogun on
    edited December 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

There is no Jurassic park game on the 32X.

TheSonicRetard on
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Primal Rage?

Saddler on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

It is actually for Sega CD but you must have the 32x to play it at all. It was a good game though back in the day as I remember. Rise of the Dragon was good to but I could never get past the part where you have to hook up wires and shit before you either A) get electrocuted or B) rats eat you. I don't think that one requried the 32x though.

Shogun on
    edited December 2007

It is actually for Sega CD but you must have the 32x to play it at all. It was a good game though back in the day as I remember. Rise of the Dragon was good to but I could never get past the part where you have to hook up wires and shit before you either A) get electrocuted or B) rats eat you. I don't think that one requried the 32x though.

No that's not right either. Jurassic Park was released before the 32X was even a gleam in SoA's eye. And Jurassic Park was NOT one of the sega cd games rereleased as 32X CD games.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited December 2007

No that's not right either. Jurassic Park was released before the 32X was even a gleam in SoA's eye. And Jurassic Park was NOT one of the sega cd games rereleased as 32X CD games.

Sure thing man. I had the Sega CD but not the 32x. My mate across the street had the 32x and I could not play Jurassic Park without it.

Regardless, get the game, as it is awesome.

Shogun on
    edited December 2007
    Also Night Trap was ported over to the 32x get that too. And get Sewer Shark.

Shogun on
    edited December 2007

Sure thing man. I had the Sega CD but not the 32x. My mate across the street had the 32x and I could not play Jurassic Park without it.

I have both. In fact, Jurassic Park is sitting right next to me right now.

Reading the back of the box... released in 1993. It's manual's last page is an advertisement for Sonic CD. No where on the box does it say "32X" on it. There WERE 32X CD games but Jurassic park was not one of them.

those "privledged" games were Night Trap, Supreme Warrior, Corpse Killer, Farenheit, and Slam City starring Scotty Pippen. In other words, not a single damn good game.

EDIT: Sewer Shark is a sega CD game, not a 32X game.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited December 2007

I have both. In fact, Jurassic Park is sitting right next to me right now.

Reading the back of the box... released in 1993. It's manual's last page is an advertisement for Sonic CD. No where on the box does it say "32X" on it. There WERE 32X CD games but Jurassic park was not one of them.

those "privledged" games were Night Trap, Supreme Warrior, Corpse Killer, Farenheit, and Slam City starring Scotty Pippen. In other words, not a single damn good game.

EDIT: Sewer Shark is a sega CD game, not a 32X game.

If he has one he probably has the other. And if he doesn't he needs to get a sega CD just so he can play Sewer Shark.

Shogun on
    edited December 2007
    There are far better reasons to get a sega CD than sewer shark or jurassic park. Snatcher springs to mind, as does Sonic CD and Lunar: The Silver Star and Eternal Blue. Also Shining Force.

oye my head hurts. Fucking finals, I'm going to lay down.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited December 2007
    Unfortunately, my Sega CD doesn't work. I'm sure it's a fuse, but mine looks totally different than all the fuses in the PCB pics on gamesx.com's forums. Someday, I'll take a serious crack at fixing it.

CZroe on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The final boss of Chaotix is kind of impressive.
    Pity about the rest of the game.

Xagarath on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think all of what needs to be said is probably said here.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    EDIT: He already has it.

But it was worth mentioning.

:(

MechMantis on
  • Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    the only 32X game I remember owning was DOOM.

Wasn't that the one that was known for crashing back to a command line from time to time?

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    VF is definitely still great. All VFs are built upon the previous game, so they kinda build onto each other. As such, VF1 is probably the BEST place to hop on board.

I'm not going to say that VF1 is completely devoid of merit, but suggesting it as a recommended entry point to the series is very silly. While the absolute basics haven't changed much (there's a punch button, there's a kick button, there's a block button, most moves have been retained), all of the additions made since VF1 (replacing moon jumps with proper evasions, offensive/defensive evasion moves, groud recovery / wake-up, throw escapes, and a whole bunch of high-level stuff I never bother with) make it a poor choice for anybody wanting to get into the current games.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I always thought a sense of disappointment and frustration was worth owning when you had a 32X :P

Thanks god my local store stopped trading in before I got rid of half my games to finance it. Got one now though. Virtua Racing is cool :)

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2007
    While we're on the 32X subject, I decided to search for something I couldn't find before in case you guys could help me find it, but I was successful this time. I remember searching for this last year and being unable to find it on YouTube. It's the commercial with the sexual innuendo that REALLY set it apart from Nintendo... a 32X sliding into a Genesis on a lacy bed-like surface while a Barry White-like voice says "Aww right, baby." (just after cutting from a guy telling you to "stick it in").

CZroe on
    edited December 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    While we're on the 32X subject, I decided to search for something I couldn't find before in case you guys could help me find it, but I was successful this time. I remember searching for this last year and being unable to find it on YouTube. It's the commercial with the sexual innuendo that REALLY set it apart from Nintendo... a 32X sliding into a Genesis on a lacy bed-like surface while a Barry White-like voice says "Aww right, baby." (just after cutting from a guy telling you to "stick it in").

The print ad for that was awesome. It was a 2 page spread with a kid peeking into the key hole of a door onto the next page which was a diagram of the 32X being inserted into the genesis. Above the kid, spawning both pages, is a word bubble saying "Mommy, what are those two SEGA machines doing?"

And at the bottom, a woman replies, "They're making an Arcade machine, dear!"

I loved sega's style.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yo TSR, I'm trying to get a Sega CD, 32x, Saturn, and a Dreamcast what games should I get for them?

Captain Crunch on
    edited December 2007
    Yo TSR, I'm trying to get a Sega CD, 32x, Saturn, and a Dreamcast what games should I get for them?

To start off with:

Sega CD:
    Snatcher
    Lunar: The Silver Star
    Lunar: Eternal Blue
    Sonic CD
    Lords of Thunder
    Shining Force CD
    Earthworm Jim: Special Edition
    Batman Returns

32X:
    Virtua Fighter
    Virtua Racing Deluxe
    Star wars Arcade
    Knuckles Chaotix
    Kolibri
    Space Harrier
    Afterburner

Saturn:
    Bug! (& Bug! Too)
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Daytona USA CE
    Fighters Megamix
    NiGHTS into Dreams (And Christmas NiGHTS)
    Virtua On
    Virtua Cop 1 & 2
    Astal

Dreamcast:
    Sonic Adventure
    Crazy Taxi
    Ecco: Defender of the future
    Jet Set Radio
    Soul Caliber
    Marvel vs Capcom (and 2)
    Street Fighter III
    Rival Schools

None of those should set you back too much (except for snatcher and the lunar games). when you have those, I can recommend some rarer, more expensive titles. I bolded fighter's megamix because I believe it's the best game on the list, and one of the best fighters of all time.

TheSonicRetard on
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hell yeah. To this day it is my most-played 3D fighter. It never gets much of a mention.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

To start off with:

Sega CD:
    Snatcher
    Lunar: The Silver Star
    Lunar: Eternal Blue
    Sonic CD
    Lords of Thunder
    Shining Force CD
    Earthworm Jim: Special Edition
    Batman Returns

32X:
    Virtua Fighter
    Virtua Racing Deluxe
    Star wars Arcade
    Knuckles Chaotix
    Kolibri
    Space Harrier
    Afterburner

Saturn:
    Bug! (& Bug! Too)
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Daytona USA CE
    Fighters Megamix
    NiGHTS into Dreams (And Christmas NiGHTS)
    Virtua On
    Virtua Cop 1 & 2
    Astal

Dreamcast:
    Sonic Adventure
    Crazy Taxi
    Ecco: Defender of the future
    Jet Set Radio
    Soul Caliber
    Marvel vs Capcom (and 2)
    Street Fighter III
    Rival Schools

None of those should set you back too much (except for snatcher and the lunar games). when you have those, I can recommend some rarer, more expensive titles. I bolded fighter's megamix because I believe it's the best game on the list, and one of the best fighters of all time.

Thanks man, I'll try to get these games.

Captain Crunch on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd also suggest Dark Wizard for the Sega CD. It's a hex-based tactical RPG. My brother and I had a lot of fun with it back in the day.

SteevL on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I figured I'd post this in here. I've never used ebay but I buy shittons of stuff off Amazon. Is buying used games from users on Amazon pretty reliable?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorsairCorsair Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had a 32X when I was a kid, and even though it barely had any games during its lifetime, the fact that it had both Doom and Virtua Fighter made it a worthy purchase for me. I was obsessed with Doom, and did not have any other way to play it, so that alone made the thing awsome in my books.

Corsair on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hello buds! I need SEGA 32X help too.

I have:

-SEGA Genesis Model 1
    -RF Modulator (I want A/V cables so recommend those too please)
    -SEGA Genesis Model 1 AC Adapter
    -Star Wars Arcade 32X
    -Four controllers: two 6-button and two 3-button

I think I need:

-SEGA 32X that fits the Model 1 (don't they all?)
    -SEGA 32X AC adapter

Am I missing anything? Is there a good place to get any of this besides eBay/Amazon (generally speaking they want too much for too little except on the software)? The games are cheap but if there really isn't anything worthwhile maybe I should skip out. I'd wait for the Virtual Console to pick them up or something but I don't think Star Wars Arcade will ever show up.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited December 2007
    Hello buds! I need SEGA 32X help too.

I have:

-SEGA Genesis Model 1
    -RF Modulator (I want A/V cables so recommend those too please)
    -SEGA Genesis Model 1 AC Adapter
    -Star Wars Arcade 32X
    -Four controllers: two 6-button and two 3-button

I think I need:

-SEGA 32X that fits the Model 1 (don't they all?)
    -SEGA 32X AC adapter

Am I missing anything? Is there a good place to get any of this besides eBay/Amazon (generally speaking they want too much for too little except on the software)? The games are cheap but if there really isn't anything worthwhile maybe I should skip out. I'd wait for the Virtual Console to pick them up or something but I don't think Star Wars Arcade will ever show up.

All 32X's fit the model 1 with no problems. The model 2 genesis requires a small piece of plastic to be inserted between the genesis and 32X. No problems there.

Unfortunately, you're missing the hardest to find component - the pass-through cable, and those were made 1:1 with the system. The cable is what lets the 32X and Genesis display their collective video as one. It takes the video out from the genesis and feeds it into the video in on the 32X. The genesis' video data is then outputted simultaneously through the 32X video out. Think of it as working the same way the Voodoo graphics cards worked, where they didn't display data on their own, but rather passed through to the video card on the PC.

cdx_and_32x_01.jpg

See the black cable in between the 32X and the CDX (not the RCA cables)? Thats what you need. You're in double bad luck as well, because you have a model 1 genesis... you need a second converter cable that attaches to one end of that pass through cable in order to connect it to the genesis video out. The genesis 1 used a different video out dim than the genesis 2, hence the need for a converter. The genesis 1 used a normal sized 9 pin dim, while the genesis 2 used a smaller 9 pin mini-dim.

Good luck finding these cables. They are near impossible to get a hold of. Now, the good news is I've devised two ways to over come this. The bad news is both require a steady hand, some simple soldering, and generally ghetto-rigging your 32X. want me to explain or would you rather I just point you in the best direction possible towards finding a pass through cable?

EDIT: Oh shit, I didn't realize you hadn't bought a 32X yet. Ok, first step - MAKE SURE THE 32X COMES WITH A PASS THROUGH CABLE. AND THE MODEL 1 ADAPTER.

The 32X should come with it's own A/V cables, too, but if they don't you can use the a/v cables for a genesis 2. Thy fit perfectly with the 32X.

TheSonicRetard on
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, all of us SEGA fanboys come out of the woodwork? Sweet, I should go dust off my Gen/CD/32X combo and get the juices flowing. ;)

I was one of the 'few', the proud, the original 32X launch buyers (IE Sucker). But that's not to say it was entirely all bad, even if dissappointing. On the cheap it's not a bad little addition with some fun, if not enhanced games. The Virtua Games are a Highpoint (Racing, Fighter) as is Star Wars Arcade. Doom was a perk for me since I didn't have a PC back them, despite it's missing levels. Cosmic Carnage was a fun little fighter, if not technically sound. Arcade ports were better at the time, but probably not worth recommending now since there are several ways to get arcade perfect translations. Blackthorne was good, BC Racers was decent, as well as some later games in the add-on's life. Zaxxon : Mothership also comes to mind. Metal Head was fun at the time, but probably not worth the effort with current Armored Core games. Biggest perk was probably the extra colors/buffer for the SEGA CD. Night Trap got a doubled screen size (Albeit still crappy compared to today), as well as a few other live action games.

Worth it today? For nostalgia and all things SEGA, if you have a Genesis then most definitely. Otherwise it's probably not worth it.

Oh, and damn you Sonic I want that CDX!

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    See the black cable in between the 32X and the CDX (not the RCA cables)? Thats what you need. You're in double bad luck as well, because you have a model 1 genesis... you need a second converter cable that attaches to one end of that pass through cable in order to connect it to the genesis video out. The genesis 1 used a different video out dim than the genesis 2, hence the need for a converter. The genesis 1 used a normal sized 9 pin dim, while the genesis 2 used a smaller 9 pin mini-dim.

Oh man, maybe that's why our 32X never worked right. We had a model 1 Genesis and Star Wars Arcade never displayed any of the 3D polygon stuff. My brother and I saved for ages to buy a 32X from Toys R US right when it came out; it was the first console we ever bought with our own money, and we ended up returning the thing practically the next day. We felt so burned by the experience...

Spanky The Dolphin on
    edited December 2007
    I found a bunch of Genesis model 1 A/V cables at a flea market also selling new in package official Genesis model 2 stereo AV cables (I bought a bunch). I haven't checked, but there should be a pinout on gamesx.com for adapting them by splicing cables.

Also, I thought I'd point out that there are some metal braces of some kind with the 32X that go in the cart slot. They hold the doors open, but I doubt that is their purpose. They probably provide grounding; I'm not sure if that is important.

CZroe on
    edited December 2007

Oh man, maybe that's why our 32X never worked right. We had a model 1 Genesis and Star Wars Arcade never displayed any of the 3D polygon stuff. My brother and I saved for ages to buy a 32X from Toys R US right when it came out; it was the first console we ever bought with our own money, and we ended up returning the thing practically the next day. We felt so burned by the experience...

yeah thats why. If you only do A/V out through the genesis you can see what it's displaying. Alternatively, if you don't do the a/v in on the 32X, you can see what it's rendering alone. It's pretty neat to see how the image is actually broken up on the fly.

TheSonicRetard on