As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Robot Wars - OGs is OUT, OG Gaiden up next

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm pretty sure, yeah.

Furu on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    SirNick wrote:
    Phat lewts

Lucky bitch. I don't have one single secret weapon yet. :(

I forget what mission I'm on, obviously the Izu route. It's one hell of a long mission, that's for sure. Battle Mastery requires that you finish it in 10 turns.
    [spoiler:872160df15]Three squadrons of W Unit Gespensts. Every time you destroy the equivalent of one squadron, reinforcements pop up. Once you kill even MORE, AXEL APPEARS IN HIS UNIT. Ugh ugh ugh ugh

At least I got KohRyuuoh and RyuKoohoh or something like that in the previous mission. They rock. This let me stick Katina in Kusuha's old Grungust Type 2 and Russel in the Huckie Mk II![/spoiler:872160df15]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OG1:

So, Ryusei mission 19, this is difficult, se, the things I have with Energy takers? Rio Gespenst and Aya in the Hucklebein? see. they can't dodge for shit and die to the turrets, well Aya got hit by one and then got owned by Shu .

Even my best friggin attacks can barely damage the Granzon, even Volored Darkness slashes and T-link Knuckle.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    SirNickSirNick Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OG1:

So, Ryusei mission 19, this is difficult, se, the things I have with Energy takers? Rio Gespenst and Aya in the Hucklebein? see. they can't dodge for shit and die to the turrets, well Aya got hit by one and then got owned by Shu .

Even my best friggin attacks can barely damage the Granzon, even Volored Darkness slashes and T-link Knuckle.
    Yeah, Rio and Aya suck if you've got them on primary Energy Taker duty because they don't have Alert. Ryoto might be better, or Rai or whoever. Energy Taker duty goes to whoever has Alert.

You absolutely have to drain the Granzon of all its energy before you unleash the whoopass, otherwise its energy field just makes you cry.

Same thing goes for Bian, too -- make sure you resupply your Energy Taker units.

Actually, I can't remember if there's a resupply unit by that point or not.

SirNick on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Screw Wodan. Axel's worse. A LOT WORSE.

[spoiler:a53dfba9ea]I have to beat the mission in 10 tries like I mentioned before, for the battle mastery. He cmes after wave after wave of reinforcements. HOWEVER, I THINK I found a way to get him faster. I noticed that after I took down Echidna, she retreated along with one other Landgriz (Name? Forget.) that I forgot to take down. I theorize that if I go for her and ignore the other units she spawns with, I'll have enough SP and turns to spare to take down Axel.[/spoiler:a53dfba9ea]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Haha, man, you guys have a long way to go. Wodin is by far the least of your problems.

Pro Tip: Buy SP Regeneration for everyone. The game is nigh unbeatable otherwise. Also, E-Save for Ryusei and whoever you assign as R-Gun's pilot. The R-Gun's new combo with SRX is vital to success. 8260 base damage.

Yeah, I do want to play the SRX route for the SRXes weaker version of the HTB Cannon, but then, Im tempted by KouRyuOh, me and my friend relied on it a LOT in @3.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ryusei Mission 19 is still pissing me off, I took the Energy Takers off Aya and Gave them to Latooni on her Raubiter, still no good, Lat's good at dodging, but Bian's too fucking accurate.

D:

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Final mission on OG1, and I finally got the Rivale out of the ????? HP range.

I hope that fool finally dies. But then again, I have no idea who this hidden boss guy is either, since I obviously won't get to fight him.

Either way, once this chapter is over and done with, OG2. I'll go the perfect route another time.

Edit: Oh, crap. :? [realspoiler:70262bd5ca]Ingram's a dead man[/realspoiler:70262bd5ca], but it isn't over. I should've known better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Not SRW, but just as badass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsmxvexkZHY

Hey, props to Gai's English VA. It's not as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

I still prefer Link's voice actor in the Japanese one though. :D Holy shit, the narrator BLOWS ASS!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    On the subject of Not SRW, apparently there's a more action based version made for the PS2 by Banpresto known as Another Century.

Trailer'd for Episode 2

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So Ryusei mission 19 can go suck a dick.

Instead of killing Aya and Rio to get rid of the Takers, Bians managing to 1 shot Rai and Latooni now. Allthough I feel dirty about giving the Shultzwald Energy Taker duty because of the Twin Beam Cannon.

I hate fighting things with shields...

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Chapter 41 finished.

The Judecca wasn't the true hidden boss, was it. :? Funny, because I thought the R Gun Rivale would be the normal final boss.
    Either way, nowhere near as hard as I expected.
    Elzam was a one-man army in that battle.

Anyway, off to OG2, hopefully.

Oh, and Katina's comment to Levi = awesome.
    Respect++.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Damn that Zoldark is so crafty....

He's knows who exactly I give my Energy Takers to. Even If I purposefully put them behind other units, he's still crafty enough to go after them instead of the closer targets, god dammit.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zoldark is child's play compared to some of the later bosses.

I thought he was tough back then, but I didn't need to worry about keeping everyone alive to finish him.

With the late bosses, if a single character dies, I reload from earlier. You'll need everyone alive to take down those monsters.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    AI in most SRW games generally target units based on the lowest HP, unless the battleship or a unit that can be destroyed to Auto-Game Over the scenario is in range. In OG2, bosses almost always target nothing but their enemies on your side (Axel will always go for Kyosuke, Seolla for Arado, Ouka for Latooni, etc)

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah it sucks that the only real things I can give energy taker duty without destroying my attack plan are like the blue gespenst or the Raubiter, but I lean towards the Gespenst of Rio's because it's slightly more durable than the Raubiter, and I really prefer to keep Raubiter in FM so :|

Otherwise, if I put anyone else on energy taker duty I either lose a big punch(R-1 w/ T-link Knuckle, Grungust w/ Valored Darkness slash, Wildshewein for Disk Slicer, Shultzwald for Twin Beam Cannon) Healers (Aya stay back with her Hucklebein and Trusts people who get hit, Giado flys over and repairs, Garnet trusts and replenishes Energy takers.) or Evasion Puppets (lol Latooni in Raubiter and Ryoto in Lion.)

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    For me, Energy Taking is a two turn affair. That and Armor Breaking. I usually gave these jobs to Leona/Ryoto/Excellen/Possibly Lune/Latooni/couple others I can't think of. I usually drain enough by the first turn to take care of the rest by the 2nd turn and dish some complete pwnage.

Of course, I have yet to do this in OG2. I just don't have the energy/time to. That and bosses so far don't have any sort of troublesome shield. They're just strong and almost always have HP(L) regen.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    What sucks, Is I've only Recieved one Energy taker at this point. SO I can't really do somethin fancy like that. I Also feel beeter give structured roles, rather than have most of my units do a lot at once, as that can get difficult to manage.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    One word of advice for you. DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT the battle masteries on your first time through OG2 if you don't feel up to the task. This game is SIGNIFICANTLY tougher. If you really do feel that you improved quite a bit through playing OG1, then go right ahead. :P

I've been stuck fighting Axel for like... Three days now. Scenario 21-ish. Or was it 22? I forget. I think I found a really efficient way of getting to him, but even then he's damn hard. At least I have four-ish turns to deal with him!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I figured, that's why I usually don't bother with masteries unless I'm playing @3 and thus have my firend's help anyway.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Some of the ones in OG2 are really insane and incredibly specific. It boggled my mind when I read a couple of them at first.

One thing's for sure though. Thank god for Chain-Attacks.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I haent enen bought OG2, I'm too scared, OG1 is hard enough.

@3 is so much more relaxing, the shields arent nearly as bad, you don't have to worry about equipment, and we have just found it signifigantly less frustrationg, especially since it's not a handheld game, it's much easier to "co-op" through it.

and then there is MX which is even easier Asssited attack= Overkill much?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I've heard that MX is one of the easier SRW games, though I also heard that the PSP version was toughened up considerably. I'm hoping we'll get to see Hugo and Aqua from there in the OG continuity someday.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Damn I hate this mission so much, get Bian to 6000 before he finally kills my last unit (Cybuster) and I lose.

And saving doesnt seem to be helping much because it seems more than one thing goes wrong, and I end up saving on some kind of mistake, like a positioning error or something.

The problem seems to be that fighting off the Granzon uses up every last drop of Spirit I have.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    One thing's for sure though. Thank god for Chain-Attacks.
    Quoted for truth.

I've just beaten Mission 21 on Aviano Route. Kind of a relaxing mission after the last few, just an enemy Randgrith/Rhinoceros/R-Eins stomp in 8 turns, though it's really more like 3.5 turns after the Hagane's crew shows up.

Major Kai Kitamura is a god among men. He's level 20 now and has Chain Attack Level 3. I've discovered a few things about Chain Attacks:

1) Chain Attack range can go outside your weapon range.
    2) Gunfight++ Skills do not increase the range of long-range melee attacks. Thus, they mean nothing for Chaining and extending Chain range.
    3) Valor + 5700 Power Jet Magnum + Lvl. 3 Chain Attack is sweeter than honey.

Seriously. The man hit his Ace Bonus on the last mission by killing 11 enemies with three attacks.

"One fist cannot destroy the world... but it will destroy YOU!"

That's another really sweet thing -- When pilots get 50 kills they'll get a bonus to their stats or something. Kai now has a +5% to his Command Aura bonus and has a +10% chance to critical.

I'll post about blitzkrieging bosses in a moment.

SirNick on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, Ace bonuses are different for each character. Arado gets +15% money on all of his kills, for instance.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zoldark is really trying my patience.....

I'm just so worn out on energy and stuff by the time I make Shu retreat.... I just don't have enough steam to take Bian down.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    SirNick wrote:
    2) Gunfight++ Skills do not increase the range of long-range melee attacks. Thus, they mean nothing for Chaining and extending Chain range.

I actually first realized this in OG1, when I noticed that further Gunfight levels did not increase Roche Saber beyond its two square maximum range.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm thinking of picking up OG2, but I am having a hard time finding OG1. I hear OG2 is just a better game in general though. Will I be missing out on story line if I skip OG1 or are their stories not related?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    They are very heavily related, to the point where you would be totally lost in 2's plot without 1.

Furu on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Time to buckle down then and try to find the game. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: <3 Amazon

Edited again: Ordered. Now I can just ask for OG2 for christmas with no worries of my folks not being able to find OG1.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FCD wrote:
    SirNick wrote:

I actually first realized this in OG1, when I noticed that further Gunfight levels did not increase Roche Saber beyond its two square maximum range.
    I remember having 1~3 and 1~4 max ranges on Roche Sabers in OG1 with Ryoto and Leona, and I think that I misremembered that it was due to their Gunfight++ skill.

However, the extra range actually came from Radar Modules, which DID extend max range of ranged melee weapons.

It was pretty neat to throw some Radar modules and that one Hero Medal or something that boosted range and other things onto the Wildschwein and do its Disk Slicer on enemies 5 squares away.

EDIT:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I'm thinking of picking up OG2, but I am having a hard time finding OG1. I hear OG2 is just a better game in general though. Will I be missing out on story line if I skip OG1 or are their stories not related?
    It's actually a really, really good idea to play through OG1 before you play through OG2 anyhow since it'll give you lots of experience with the battle system and help you find pilots that you like. I don't know how folks can dive into OG2 without any prior SRW experience without tearing their hair out.

Then again, I'm playing on Hard difficulty, so it's probably more managable on Normal or Easy.

SirNick on
  • Options
    Justin_BrettJustin_Brett Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just wait until Kai gets the Gespenst MKII S.... :D

Justin_Brett on
    This is my Signature....yeah.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So I'm at Episode 4 or so... and I have a nice big glaring Hard indicator next to Battle Mastery.

I thought I had no chance of getting Episode 3's, but I went and did it by some miracle.

Now I'm thinking I should back down, and quick. I think this game's going to get way too difficult way too fast at this rate if I stay with Hard.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    How the hell am I supposed to do this with only one Energy taker to assign? Bian can 1 shot allmost anyone he damn well pleases on his turn. (2 shots in the case of Cybuster and R-1, sure grungust can take a few hits, but it's usually pretty beat up from Shu, and that's with spamming heals and repairs.)

This is all so very frustrating.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Don't you have an Energy Drain as well? Coulda sworn you had one of each by then. If not, check to see if he's immune to chaffs and the like.

Dunno if I mentioned it yet, but I FINALLY beat Axel this morning. Now to face a shit ton of enemies in the next map, with a battle mastery requirement of destroying the boss unit as well. ;_;

The map is also completely aquatic.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nope, just one Energy Taker, That's all. and the closest thing I have to a Chaff is a Jam, which doesnt help because the IMPORTANT people Bian is killing, he's getting major overkill on anyway.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    In that case, stick them next to ANYONE who has Support Defense (Or Support in general. i think OG1 had just one support option) to soak up hits in his phase, and don't even let them attack unless they can get away with it cleanly. Just wittle down his energy with random-ass attacks and Energy Taker blasts. Once he's in a spot where he can't regenerate enough to be untouchable every single round, then he's at your mercy.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    What's the point of that though, Things are still going to die that way, Remember, Bian can 1 shot anything that isn't named R-1, Grungust, or Cybuster.

Edit: Oh, that's my problem, too many fucking Masteries, I'm on Normal. looks like I have to start over, hopefully this time I won't get the masteries.

Clawshrimpy on