Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Various publications' GOTY 2007 lists

bruinbruin Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
This isn't the thread to post your GOTY lists or do any voting or anything, mcc is handling that. This is the thread for gaming site's and magazine's lists. I'll post them as I find them.

I've spoiled some them so the OP isn't fuckin' enormous and you don't have to spend a minute scrolling every time you click the thread.

Tim Roger's top Japanese games of the year for Next-Gen.biz
Spoiler:
Maxim wrote:
1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
3. The Orange Box
4. BioShock
5.God of War II
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. The Darkness
8. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
9. John Woo's Stranglehold
10. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Time wrote:
1. Halo 3
2. The Orange Box
3. Rock Band
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. BioShock
6. Call of Duty 4
7. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
8. Mass Effect
9. Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
10. God of War 2
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. The Orange Box
3. BioShock
4. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
5. Rock Band
6. God of War 2
7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
8. Crysis
9. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
10. Halo 3

Top 10 design innovations of the year by an Activision developer at Next-Gen
Spoiler:
Award - winner (runners up)

Best Game - Super Mario Galaxy (The Orange Box, Halo 3)

Best Innovation - Halo 3 (Crysis, Portal)

Best Visual Design - BioShock (Team Fortress 2, Super Mario Galaxy)

Best Audio Design - Super Mario Galaxy (Halo 3, Colin MCrae: Dirt)

Best Online Experience - Halo 3 (Forza 2, Wii Channels)

Best Hardware - Rock Band (Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii)

Best Developer - Valve (Bungie, Nintendo)

Best Publisher - Nintendo (Microsoft, EA)

Gamasutra top five developers of the year
Spoiler:

bruin on

• bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Next-Gen's top 30 of the year
    Spoiler:

Wired's top 10, from Chris Kohler and the rest of the Game|Life crew
    Spoiler:
    Staff votes for #1:

BioShock: 5
    What begins as a plane crash over the mid-Atlantic quickly transforms into a chilling fight for survival in Rapture. The ruined underwater objectivist utopia is simultaneously beautiful and violent, forcing you to alter your genetic code in order to take on the supernatural abilities necessary to fight Andrew Ryan and his army of splicers. With danger lurking around every corner (usually in the form of hulking Big Daddies), this game mixes the horror, adventure, and first person shooter genres while putting a new spin on twisted storytelling and intense game play. There were many excellent titles released in 2007, but even among such juggernauts, Bioshock stands out as the Game of the Year.

COD4: 3
    SMG: 1
    Rock Band:1

Worst Game of the Year: Fusion Frenzy 2

• Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maxim is banned from making lists ever again.

• RapeasaurusRapeasaurus Registered User
    edited December 2007

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Bonus points for not having Halo 3 in there though.

• HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I swear, seeing The Orange Box listed at all is fucking stupid. It's a collection of games, not a game itself!

I half expect the people who make these lists to also say, "Metroid is a girl?"

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User
    edited December 2007
    The lack of Uncharted makes me very very sad. Oh well, I guess it's good enough that it's my game of the year.

theincidentsig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    I swear, seeing The Orange Box listed at all is fucking stupid. It's a collection of games, not a game itself!

Yes, thank you. It's like having a greatest hits of a band that has a couple new tracks on it on an album of the year list. TF2, Portal, and H-L2 ep. 2 should be eligible, not The Orange Box.

• darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Bonus points for not having Halo 3 in there though.

And yet respected publications dare to include it.

Hmmmmm

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I half expect the people who make these lists to also say, "Metroid is a girl?"

It's really a question of semantics. I don't know exactly where I fall but I understand the arguments for lumping The Orange Box in as one package of gaming goodness, especially since on the console side you can't buy the individual components separately.

I always find GOTY lists kind of pointless, but it's nice to see more than one shoutout for Pac-Man: CE out there.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • DocabarDocabar Registered User
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    TF2, Portal, and H-L2 ep. 2 should be eligible, not The Orange Box.

These three together or separate? I think even with HL2 and episode 1 removed it would still be a strong contender, hell Portal on its own is a Game of the Year in my mind.

camo_sig.png
    edited December 2007
    Docabar wrote: »

These three together or separate? I think even with HL2 and episode 1 removed it would still be a strong contender, hell Portal on its own is a Game of the Year in my mind.

Seperate. My complaint isn't that it doesn't deserve to be on any lists, it's that it shouldn't even be a contender because it's not a video game, it's a collection of video games.

• DocabarDocabar Registered User
    edited December 2007
    I can understand wanting HL2 and episode 1 removed from Game of the Year debates, but I kind of think that Orange Box can be judged on the three games together, the development of the games is the same as the development of one game, its just been broken up a bit.

camo_sig.png
    edited December 2007
    I can understand wanting HL2 and episode 1 removed from Game of the Year debates, but I kind of think that Orange Box can be judged on the three games together, the development of the games is the same as the development of one game, its just been broken up a bit.

How? They're three different games made by three different teams.

• SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Think of it this way. By listing them together instead of separately, there's room for extra games on the list, because Team Fortress 2 and Portal would undoubtedly make most lists regardless.

I really like the top 10 innovations list. "I love the “game” but I’m not even sure if it’s fun" really describes a lot of what I've played in the last year, and my friends give me shit about it. It's nice to know someone in the mainstream thinks like I do.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kohler on bioshock:
    Spoiler:
    Is the best summary of how I think of it. It's been overhyped to hell, and definately doesn't deserve to be #1, but it does have the best atmosphere this side of stalker and deserves to be on the lists.

Besides that, we have what, 5 games which are going to be on every single list in some order (SMG, halo, Cod4, Orange box), so why not talk about what the other goty's are, rather than just rehashing the same arguements over rankings we've had in the previous award threads. For example, Pac man on 2 lists?

camo_sig2.png
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lumping Orange Box games together is the same as film buffs giving the Godfather 1 & 2 the same spot. It frees up more of the list, and they belong together.

From a practical standpoint, you can't buy the seperately in stores, or for the 360, I believe. 1 box on new release shelves = 1 game.

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Seperate. My complaint isn't that it doesn't deserve to be on any lists, it's that it shouldn't even be a contender because it's not a video game, it's a collection of video games.
    Halo 3 single player and halo 3 multiplayer should also be separate games, then.

• SabanSaban Registered User
    edited December 2007
    The only problem with orange box being on all these lists is that its not #1.

371839-1.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Halo 3 single player and halo 3 multiplayer should also be separate games, then.

I was just going to say this about CoD4...

steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I was just going to say this about CoD4...

Except Halo 3 single player and multiplayer are not sold separately like the games in the Orange Box are.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No Assasin's Creed anywhere? Hm. I haven't played it, but it was the main reason I want a 360 for Christmas. Maybe I should go back to wanting it for Live Arcade or Bioshock.

/=S=/
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    3DS - 3797-6074-8327
    Mayor Jer in Saskie

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Yes, thank you. It's like having a greatest hits of a band that has a couple new tracks on it on an album of the year list. TF2, Portal, and H-L2 ep. 2 should be eligible, not The Orange Box.

Its on one disc, it's a game.
    Spoiler:

camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so Edge is suposedly very respected. yet Halo 3 somehow beat out Portal for "most inovation" ???

man, what?

steam_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I agree. Orange Box is one game. Whether it is a collection or not a GOTY list has two functions:

To critically acclaim games of good design

To advise people on what are good purchases, like any game review. Orange Box comes as one complete package on every format other than Steam. It should be considered one game. While I would agree, Portal or TF2 on their own would warrant inclusion on a GOTY list, the fact that Valve decided that amazing value just wasnt enough and gave us ludicrously insane good value instead shouldnt exclude Orange Box.

scarab you have mental problems
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We should have a "insanel good game of the year" for Portal and TF2

camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If we were to split up Orange Box, Id put TF2 over Portal.

I mean, I can acknowledge how amazing it is, and while its not as innovative as people think (portal games, exactly like Portal have been around for a while. Heck, the teams previous work Narbacular Drop was out for years) it is a great experience. Id put more stock in the writing for Portal than the game design.

TF2 has lasting appeal though. Its the first PC shooter I have really enjoyed this much for a long time. A. Long. Time. Plus, judging from the new Fifa pro street and tiberium fps design it is influencing future games a fair amount more than Portal has.

scarab you have mental problems
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Orange box should not be counted as one game. Only 2 games in it are really good anyway. (TF2 and Portal)

I'm saddened that Assassin's Creed is absent from most lists.

jkZziGc.png
    edited December 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Orange box should not be counted as one game. Only 2 games in it are really good anyway. (TF2 and Portal)

Because HL2/HL2EP1/HL2EP2 are such bad games.

371839-1.png
    edited December 2007
    X-Play wrote:
    * Game of the Year - BioShock
    * Most Original Game - Portal
    * Best Gameplay Innovation - Assassin’s Creed (free-running/climbing)
    * Best Multiplayer Game - Rock Band
    * Best Action/Adventure Game - Super Mario Galaxy
    * Best Sports Game - Forza Motorsport 2
    * Best Shooter - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    * Best Role Playing Game - Mass Effect
    * Best New Character - Portal (GLaDOS)
    * Best Art Direction - BioShock
    * Best Animation - Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    * Best Writing/Story - BioShock
    * Best Original Soundtrack - BioShock
    * Best Sound Design - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    * Best Downloadable Content - Pac-Man Championship Edition (XBLA)
    * Best Strategy Game - Supreme Commander

Another Halo-free list :|

edited December 2007

Halo 3 single player and Halo 3 multiplayer aren't video games, Halo 3 is a video game. Do you see what I'm saying? I mean these lists, in my opinion, shouldn't be what Scarab said - the best purchases of the year. It's "game of the year". The games in The Orange Box are entirely different products except for H-L2 and the 2 episodes.
    Basticle wrote: »
    so Edge is suposedly very respected. yet Halo 3 somehow beat out Portal for "most inovation" ???

man, what?

Where I found the list (forum, not the magazine itself), it wasn't any more specific than that, but I think they likely gave it to Halo 3 for saved films. Which I totally endorse.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I know all of these games on these lists are really good, but I can't help but be sad that Persona 3 isn't on any of them.

steam_sig.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thumbs up for the praise for Pac-Man: Championship Edition. Forget The Orange Box, at a mere $10, Pac-Man:CE is the gaming deal of the year.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Death Groupie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Halo 3 single player and Halo 3 multiplayer aren't video games, Halo 3 is a video game. Do you see what I'm saying? I mean these lists, in my opinion, shouldn't be what Scarab said - the best purchases of the year. It's "game of the year". The games in The Orange Box are entirely different products except for H-L2 and the 2 episodes.

They're all one single product for the 360.

steam_sig.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] Alumnus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Too bad they're all lumping Portal and TF2 in with the Orange Box. I guess they didn't want Valve hogging three of the top ten slots.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Saban wrote: »

Well if you were to ask me. :wink:

jkZziGc.png
    edited December 2007
    Saban wrote: »

Well if you were to ask me. :wink:

Luckily no one does.

371839-1.png
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    X-Play wrote:

It's not a rank list, though. It got beat by CoD4 and BioShock (though how BioShock can be the best game of the year period and still not be best shooter is beyond me), two excellent games. If this list showed their top 3 from each category then I'm sure you'd see more Halo.

Halo 3 shows yet again how games are becoming more like movies. There are games that are blockbusters, and games that are critically acclaimed, and they're not always the same games.

266.jpg
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    'an wrote:
    Love it or hate it, the Assassin’s Creed controller is something different, not only practically but conceptually. Thinking of the controller not as “an agglomeration of buttons that serve to convey mechanical commands” but rather as “an extension of the player’s very being” is a sea change.

O_o

A game with a command you never, ever need to use mapped to the left trigger? (Low-profile mode is default, anyway)

A game with a "Feet" button?

I mean, I enjoyed it. But come on. "An extension of the player's very being?" A goddamn "sea change?"

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    X-Play wrote:

That's because the list only includes exciting new games instead of boring rehashes. It might make some list somewhere if there weren't three better FPS launched this half of the year.

Hell, what surprises me the most on some of these lists is the fact that Bioshock managed to crawl out of the summer and be remembered after the absolute tidal wave of good titles in Q4. My personal game of the year wouldn't be Bioshock, but I can at least understand why some people might go that way.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

That's because the list only includes exciting new games instead of boring rehashes. It might make some list somewhere if there weren't three better FPS launched this half of the year.

Hell, what surprises me the most on some of these lists is the fact that Bioshock managed to crawl out of the summer and be remembered after the absolute tidal wave of good titles in Q4. My personal game of the year wouldn't be Bioshock, but I can at least understand why some people might go that way.

My pet theory is that bioshock is so overated because it came out so much earlier. None of the other GoTY contenders were out yet, so there was nothing to measure it against, so way too many people gave it unrealistically high ratings (10s). Then come mid-november, everything else came out and they didn't have enough time to give all the other games, so they might have only played half of the other AAA games, and thus didn't have a chance to give them the attention bioshock recived. That's why it way too premature to start crowning Goty at this point

EDIT: and who trust's X-play (G4) for anything game related anyway

camo_sig2.png