As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] Guide to basic Skills, Ship fitting, and general newbiness.

• encloserencloser Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    One really nice thing that several people did for me was to take me along with them for ratting. The bounties were a greater source of income than the rat loot that can fit in a frig or destroyer. I also learned a ton from the vets about the game while chatting in gang.

And as I've started to rat on my own I find that having a newbie in a fast tackling ship along helps me catch up to rats and get within optimal range, which makes killing them faster.

encloser on
    EVE: Zane Rayez; CoX: Encloser;
    TF2/ETQW: [e]Encloser;
    encloser.png
  • CouchmonkeyCouchmonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    deadtear wrote: »
    You, repo fag, read the other thread. Also, ignore everything anybody that says "hey go back to empire" tries to tell you. Empire is for skillbooks, and moving stuff to import/export to/from 0.0.

I do not appreciate your insult. All I am trying to do is offer alternatives in gameplay. 0.0 is not for everyone. I would rather offer alternatives for them to stay in the game than to quit because one particular facet is not working out for them. Just trying to help.

Couchmonkey on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Couchmonkey is right. There are sort of two sides to eve. There's the training area where all the newbs, griefers, fags, and Repo hang out, and there's the rest of the game where all the fun happens and the awesome people hang out. The training area is all some people ever want to see.

See what I am saying here is that the meat of the game takes place in 0.0, and meat is what you're paying for, yes?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    I really do not understand what the problem is. I guess I do not get this community. If all you want to do is add more players without actually finding out what they want to do just for the sake of having them, that is your business, but from the looks of what has been posted in this thread, one would glean that this game is full of nothing but Diablo II rejects. To all the new guys, it isn't. At least for most corps.

Fly safe. See you in Empire.

Couchmonkey on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Diablo II rejects? Man what?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Repo :shrug:

Screamline on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really do not understand what the problem is. I guess I do not get this community. If all you want to do is add more players without actually finding out what they want to do just for the sake of having them, that is your business, but from the looks of what has been posted in this thread, one would glean that this game is full of nothing but Diablo II rejects. To all the new guys, it isn't. At least for most corps.

Yeah, it certainly sounds that way, heh.

Fly away troll, fly away.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Don't go too hard on the Repo guy, he went up against some specops gangs that were busy working out tactics to use against POS guns. Repo's pvp tactics are basically the same as shooting a bunch of POS modules so it was good practice and we thank them for that.

StormyWaters on
    edited December 2007
    How am I a troll when I get called a fag in two separate posts when all I am trying to do is help a guy out?

If you don't like Repo, fine, but don't flame me for tying to help someone out.

Couchmonkey on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, you'd think a guy from a 'mercenary' corp would be more...I dunno, tougher?

Certainly less pubby wahwah. Even Siddy could take our shit and he's a furry BoB.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited December 2007
    Post edited.

I am trying to remain civil. Do not take my kindness for weakness.

Couchmonkey on
    edited December 2007
    Ok guys, Couchmonkey has rolled over. Feel free to walk all over him.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited December 2007
    Please refer to my other post. Douche.

This thread is for noob questions, which I answered, even if no one liked the suggestion since it impacts your alliance membership.

Couchmonkey on
    edited December 2007
    No, we didnt like the suggestion, because it was terrible. See the "herding cats" post. We cant baby sit members, and we know that if members dont take initiative for themselves.

When i started the game i was flying missions until i joined a corp. And i had a great time of it. But if i didnt do anything then the game wasnt much fun. What we are trying to get accross to newbies is that if you dont learn to do things the game wont be fun. And we will help you in doing those things because the cost is basically nothing to us. But you have to take initiative and ask, because everyone else is going to be off doing the stuff they want to be doing. Why? Because they learned to do stuff and were rewarded with a great experience.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited December 2007
    That is very reasonable. I never said to do missions and be done with it, I said to do missions to learn the game dynamics and find what you want to do in game. From there he could go back to 0.0 if he wanted. Anything would be better than losing a new player to the vastness of the game.

Couchmonkey on
    edited December 2007
    Couchmonkey I'm sorry I called you fag. I will send you some isk when I get home from work.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    Nah, it's cool, put it toward your next ship.

Couchmonkey on
    edited December 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Couchmonkey I'm sorry I called you fag. I will send you some isk when I get home from work.

You can call me a fag and send me isk any time you like.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited December 2007
    What's your character's name, fag?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • torsionRextorsionRex Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    yeah i think you are one of the few, the proud with identical names, gihgehls

and goum, but hey

torsionRex on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, ah, there's a guy going ballistic on SWA chat about how if we stay with them for too long people will never invite us to "real" corps.

Is this true, or just bullshit trolling?

Wallhitter on
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Quasi-bullshit. Folks who stay in the starter corps a long time tend to be scout alts, but if you show sufficient interest in a corporation and are clearly not a hurf blurf retard, most corps will take you in.

It wouldn't be an auto-refusal into Merch at any rate.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    Bullshit trolling, but a good corp history is worth a decent amount. People will be more wary of you if you are in SWA when inviting you in since you are more likely to be a spy for any number of alliances. A corp history means you can talk to people in the corp and find out about the person.

It also means you have a hard time flying with a gang, but you can still make a name for yourself in a noob corp if you are really determined. Its just harder. Most people who join a corporation are not asked to join, but request to join.

That being said, the game is a lot more fun in a real corp.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited December 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    What's your character's name, fag?

Marshal Boddiker, sir.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Bullshit trolling, but a good corp history is worth a decent amount. People will be more wary of you if you are in SWA when inviting you in since you are more likely to be a spy for any number of alliances. A corp history means you can talk to people in the corp and find out about the person.

It also means you have a hard time flying with a gang, but you can still make a name for yourself in a noob corp if you are really determined. Its just harder. Most people who join a corporation are not asked to join, but request to join.

That being said, the game is a lot more fun in a real corp.

Ah.

Figure I'll join up with one once my trial's over and I'm actually registered. Maybe WANG. maybe someone else.

Oh, if anyone wants me in a corp/wants to discuss recruitment details, name's Quidai

Wallhitter on
  • vash11vash11 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok, im in an asteroid field when i see a floating cargo container, i go loot it, and it turns out the guy was nearby and just decided to wait and blow people away for shits and giggles.

What im asking is, are there any other traps and such that i should look out for?

vash11 on
  • eatblueshelleatblueshell Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    vash11 wrote: »
    Ok, im in an asteroid field when i see a floating cargo container, i go loot it, and it turns out the guy was nearby and just decided to wait and blow people away for shits and giggles.

What im asking is, are there any other traps and such that i should look out for?

Some people will purposely steal from you to get flagged in hopes that you try and shoot them.

Some people will see a miner, wait for him to go get his industrial, then swap cans with him and name it the same thing, and when unsuspecting miner comes back, he empties the can to his hold, gets flagged, gets shot.

eatblueshell on
    edited December 2007
    Some people will also target you in the hopes that you will shoot hem first. Targeting another person is not an act of aggression, firing on them even if they target you first is. Just read the warning box before you do anything and you will be fine.

Couchmonkey on
  • argofotoargofoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ok im totally overwhelmed by this thread and cant find a guide to start a char... i had a mining char for a few months way back 2 years ago, on a diff computer, on a shutdown email lost somewhere so im not gonna bother with that. i want to be able to build ships, with blueprints and stuff (stuff being the really complicated stuff), i actually work on ships in real life so being on both in both is kinda redundant. also, some sort of repair ship temp or somethin alongside that would be good, maybe be part of the service/supply fleet in big battles, yeah i have no idea if you guys need that, but im sure youd like to find some droids fixin you up after losing your plant/engine... yeah so any tips? race? class? spec?
    i got evemon! thats about as far as i got, havent even registered yet.

argofoto on
    edited December 2007
    http://wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php?title=Basic_Character_Creation
    The most important thing you should have in mind when creating a character is that your choice of race, bloodline etc. will only affect your starting skills, attribute distribution and portrait, and nothing more. Of these, any character can learn any skill given enough time, portrait is irrelevant, and attributes should pragmatically be your sole consideration when starting a character -- and they only influence the time it takes to learn new skills, so having a low attribute won't lock you out of a career path.

Players from other MMOs tend to think that your character creation choices will set your playing style or roles in stone, when it couldn't be farther from the truth in EVE. Given the factors stated in the above paragraph, it's fair to say that your race, bloodline etc. has no mid- or long-range difference in play style, which mean roughly from a few months onwards.

TL;DR Any race can fly any ship and follow any career, and the only thing separating them is training time, which is dictated by your attributes.

Plenty of stuff in there.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    argofoto wrote: »
    ok im totally overwhelmed by this thread and cant find a guide to start a char... i had a mining char for a few months way back 2 years ago, on a diff computer, on a shutdown email lost somewhere so im not gonna bother with that. i want to be able to build ships, with blueprints and stuff (stuff being the really complicated stuff), i actually work on ships in real life so being on both in both is kinda redundant. also, some sort of repair ship temp or somethin alongside that would be good, maybe be part of the service/supply fleet in big battles, yeah i have no idea if you guys need that, but im sure youd like to find some droids fixin you up after losing your plant/engine... yeah so any tips? race? class? spec?
    i got evemon! thats about as far as i got, havent even registered yet.

We bring along logistics ships when seiging, and any ship with remote repair or energy transfer can work for that. Combat logistics is a bit more complex and usually requires a heavy skill investment.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Whatever you pick you're going to want to train into your racial battleship, both for money or running in remote-rep battleship gangs (one of the easier and more effective types). Beyond that, I'd recommend asking around for production advice since it's complicated but can be extremely profitable - you'll probably want Int/Mem for a production oriented char (I recommend Gallente in that case since drones are Int/Mem heavy too).

EDIT: http://www.evegeek.com/attributes.php

This site gives straight attribute numbers, which if you don't mind the delay to train specific ships, is a good way to get setup. I'd recommend a balanced build if you don't know what you're going to do really since everyone ends up wanting guns.

electricitylikesme on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I got myself a Hurricane. All excited about my new toy I slapped some 650mm arts and arb mods to take it for a test drive.

Jumped into a random belt, get scambled by some arch angel frigs and blown up.

Hopefully my next one will last longer :P

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    always pack a set of warrior drones. They are the fastest drones in the game and with good skills can keep speed with interceptors etc.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • eatblueshelleatblueshell Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mortious wrote: »
    So I got myself a Hurricane. All excited about my new toy I slapped some 650mm arts and arb mods to take it for a test drive.

D'oh! Please tell me this was in 0.0

eatblueshell on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yup, was in epros. Once i realized that I was going to die, I asked for help. 3 MerchI members were nice enough to hop in just to see me explode .

Only lost 10mil and some named t1 mods. Pretty cheap for a learning experience :P

Drone skills are on the list.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    edited December 2007
    The learning experience is "call for help once you start having trouble if you can be saved" i hope

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • encloserencloser Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mortious wrote: »

I did the same thing with my first BC a few weeks ago.

encloser on
    EVE: Zane Rayez; CoX: Encloser;
    TF2/ETQW: [e]Encloser;
    encloser.png
  • Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Christ, why did I let the G&T thread tempt me into reactivating my account. It's been a year and a half since I last played, I've just gone back in with the character I had way back when, and now I'm royally screwed.

Seriously, I have no idea how it is I forgot how damn complicated this game is. Not only that, but a ton of new stuff seems to have been added, so not only do I not know what I was supposed to be doing before, I now don't have a clue what to do with my character now.

Talk about being overwhelmed D:

Track Nine on
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble fighting lots of wimpy enemies efficiently. Hopefully you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I lock on to two enemies, so I have two little portraits in the top right. One has the flashing arrows around it. I press the F-keys to use both my missile launchers on that guy. I know it worked because the missile launcher icons show up next to his portrait. The missiles blow him up, so the flashy arrows move to the second enemy ship. I press the F-keys again, but the little icons don't appear next to his portrait. I have to press the F-keys two or three times before the icons appear and the missiles start firing. I think the F-keys are a toggle, so if I press them too many times, the weapons turn off. This leads to me flying around getting shot and not shooting back.

SvK on