As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are There Any REAL Detective Games?

2»

• elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    runwiled wrote: »
    I have fond memories of the Police Quest games. They were pretty awesome.

Rats. I was going to post this with box art and everything. Police Quest 2 was one of my favorite games as a young'un.

"YOU'VE WALKED INTO A POCKET OF DEADLY METHANE GAS CUE OMINOUS MUSIC"

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Although I never played them, the two Laura Bow games from Sierra On-Line might qualify.

Those games are VERY good. It (Dagger of Amon Ra) actually requires you to figure out who killed the people in the game. The coroner asks you questions to solidify the case against the murderer. It's the only game where having a notebook to write down clues helps.

phamtq on
  • AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sam-max.jpg

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    3413-blade1.jpg

Edit: shit, just noticed we were on page 2, and beat'd. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HibikiHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Police Quest 1-4 don't bother with anything after

Hibiki on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    g0074375d77.jpg

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Police Quest was an excellent series if you can find the anthology I highly recommend it. Part 4 was the suck but had really cool graphics at the time (digitized video). Play 1 through 3 in order if you can since they're all related. Part 4's story came out of no where and ends too quickly.

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Wasn't there also a Sherlock Holmes game that was a more conventional adventure game?

Yep, there's a whole line of Sherlock Holmes adventure games actually:

The Mistery of the Mummie
    The Silver Earing
    The Awakend
    Sherlock vs Arsene Lupin

Haven't played any of those games though, but from what I heard they should be pretty close to what the OP is looking for. Click here for more detailed informations.

Also, there's a video games series of famous Agatha Christie novels for the PC, maybe they worth a look?

And Then There Were None
    The Murder in the Orient Express
    Evil under the Sun (in developement)

Looking it up, the one that I was thinking of was completely different. The one I played was the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, and there's apparently a second one as well. They seem to be the kind of thing that the OP is looking for, plenty of investigation and tracking down acquaintances and such.

jothki on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Daros65/3413-blade1.jpg
    Edit: shit, just noticed we were on page 2, and beat'd. :(

This. I think I still have all 4 discs.

Someone really should take another shot at a Blade Runner adventure game w/ RPG elements.

Deus Ex has a fair amount of investigating, actually. Trying to figure out the background of UNATCO, the motivations of the NSF, etc etc. There is a lot of reading and piecing things together involved.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blade Runner?

ben0207 on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    I think the Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened game had some good detective stuff in it. Still mostly linear, but I doubt you'll be able to find a truly non-linear detective game anywhere.

edit: Recently read about this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Express) game though, and it sounds totally awesome. Wish I could play it :(

The Last Express is on Gametap, FWIW. And it's pretty awesome.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i came in to say Police Quest, The Last Express, and the Tex Murphy games and i see i was beaten soundly. so i will strongly second all of those.

Ah_Pook on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wasn't there also a Sherlock Holmes game that was a more conventional adventure game?

Yep, there's a whole line of Sherlock Holmes adventure games actually:

The Mistery of the Mummie
    The Silver Earing
    The Awakend
    Sherlock vs Arsene Lupin

Haven't played any of those games though, but from what I heard they should be pretty close to what the OP is looking for. Click here for more detailed informations.

Also, there's a video games series of famous Agatha Christie novels for the PC, maybe they worth a look?

And Then There Were None
    The Murder in the Orient Express
    Evil under the Sun (in developement)

Looking it up, the one that I was thinking of was completely different. The one I played was the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, and there's apparently a second one as well. They seem to be the kind of thing that the OP is looking for, plenty of investigation and tracking down acquaintances and such.

The Case of the Serrated Scalpel

Was the first and something about a Rose was the second. They looked not unlike LucasArts games but I think the graphics of them held up better than some of the older games. There is a lot of "interviewing" of witnesses and friends, a few point-and-click puzzles but I love Sherlock Holmes so I enjoyed the games.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It sounds like more point and click, but has anyone played Still Life? is it any good?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Basticle wrote: »
    It sounds like more point and click, but has anyone played Still Life? is it any good?

It is a point and click adventure game. It was my first point and click in years and I really, really enjoyed it. The puzzles can be really difficult (fuck the lock picking puzzle) but they tend not to be mind bogglingly illogical.

The story, though, was pretty interesting, following all the clues was intriguing, and the game manages to be really, really creepy at times.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's decent, but falls into the standard Microids trap of only being able to interact with stuff you actually need to interact to. The world feels static and empty as a result, as you can't actually examine anything in the environment, which is something I tend to enjoy in an adventure game - especially if you're actually playing as an investigator.

But still, it's good. The story is very interesting, though I must admit I never did complete it. I hear it has an absolutely retarded cliffhanger, so I haven't gone back to it. They just announced the sequel a few weeks back, however, so I should play through it one of these days. It's definitely one of the better point and click games of recent years.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Blade Runner?

Blade Runner.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Blade Runner?

Blade Runner.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    All three Gabriel Knight games are detective mysteries. They're slow-burning, so if you like big revelations and lots of clue gathering, you'll probably love them.

Thello on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    I think the Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened game had some good detective stuff in it. Still mostly linear, but I doubt you'll be able to find a truly non-linear detective game anywhere.

edit: Recently read about this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Express) game though, and it sounds totally awesome. Wish I could play it :(

It is completely awesome.

Though I wish I'd found out about gametap before I bought a CD copy.

I have no regrets.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    brynstar wrote: »

It is completely awesome.

Though I wish I'd found out about gametap before I bought a CD copy.

I have no regrets.

Okay you're right, it's completely awesome. I concur. :)

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • MaginomiconMaginomicon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've played TONS of adventure games where you solve a mystery of some sort.

You want a game where you're given almost no clues, and only the knowledge that you're in a situation you want to end? There are few (if any) that do this better than "Myst" (2-Uru only, Myst 1 ... not really) and games of that genre.

It generally doesn't involve interrogation or spotting inconsistencies in testimonies like you'd expect a "Detective" game to be like, (primarily because there's no other "people" to talk to for the most part) but DAYUM it covers the "investigation" tack perfectly.

Maginomicon on
    maginomicon_userbar_1.png
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Crazybear wrote: »
    Qorzm wrote: »
    Not sure what the game is about for sure, but I saw this amazingly well marketed game called "Evidence".

It was sealed in a loose-ish bag and had writing all over it and it just looked awesome. Pretty much exactly how a bag of evidence would look. Could be decent.

Edit: For PC

That is actually the sequal to "Missing" and it is called "Evidence: Missing 2".

I played a bit of the first one but couldn't really get into it due to the fact I have too many games and not enough time to play them.

The cool thing is that you register your e-mail address (or do as I did and set one up just for the game) and your team actually sends you e-mails about the case your on. You have to investigate, but I don't think you get to interview any suspects, but like I said, I didn't play much of the first one.

It might be what you are looking for, and pretty cheap too. The second one looks very good and the evidence bag adds a really nice touch.

I might have to pick it up now that I think of it.
    This is the awesome box for it (the plastic surrounding it is looser than it looks)

B000IZCY9M.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V43057567_AA280_.jpg

Qorzm on
  • UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Amonra.jpg

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky