As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for two-player, one-pc games

LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
I've got a media pc deal hooked up to my telly, keyboard and gamepad, and am looking for good games for two or more people on the one screen, be they split-screen or something like Mashed whereby both players are on the same screen all the time.

So far I've got
-Serious Sam
-Mashed
-Gish
...and that's all.

So, any ideas, internet?

LaCabra on

• TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Worms World Party. Do not get one of the 3D Worms games.

TVs_Frank on
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lego Star Wars II on the PC should be 2 player from 1 keyboard, IIRC. At least it was at PAX '06.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'll tell you now that Gears of War PC doesn't do it.

Which has made me horribly angry.

Brolo on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Heroes of Might and Magic has hotseat play. I would recommend either HMM 2 or 3.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    .Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    .Tripwire. wrote: »

Looks fun!

The website is engrish-riffic.
    Invisibility is crap weapon. The srategie is none. It doesn't shit, it just makes you getting lost.
    The mine is is double sworded edge. Plant it on the floor but do forget! IF you are forget where it plants you might mistake stepping on your own mien! But if plant well enemy succumb in explodius fashion!

:^:

4rch3nemy on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    that is awesome

LaCabra on
  • BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If youre willing to go really oldschool, the only one I can think of is Wing Commander Armada.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Master of Orion II had hotseat play. Me and my buddies spent many a late night sending wavess of planet killing doomstars at eachother.

see317 on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    turn based strategy

already mentioned HoMM (2/3/etc)
    2D Worms games (WWP, Armageddon)
    RISK II (oh man sooo good!)

Deusfaux on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't played it yet, but Shadowgrounds: Survivor apparently has 2-player co-op. I liked the original Shadowgrounds a lot. Apparently it also has co-op, but I just loaded it up and didn't see any option for that in the menus.

SteevL on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    Aroduc on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Older game, but Jazz Jackrabbit 2 had four-player split-screen (which could be networked at the same time as well). It's pretty fun if you want to track it down. Even older: Return Fire, which is old-school dopeness.

Micro Machines V4 has four players on the screen at a time (last player who gets too far behind gets eliminated). Played it a LAN once and it's fairly decent.

I hear that Kane and Lynch has split-screen co-op, but it requires you to have Xbox 360 controllers. I don't know about the actual quality of the game firsthand. Ditto for Overlord with a patch.

Speaking of Melty Blood Act Cadenza, there's actually quite a bit of fighting games on the PC, including a good lot of the Guilty Gear series (X, XX #Reload, Isuka), but they're Japanese imports.

Zxerol on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    Phantasmagoria of Flower View is also wonderful for some competitive 2 player action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6oW2ACUInM

Aroduc on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kane and Lynch: Dead Men

game has split-screen co-op

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd just like to second a recommendation for Mduel. It's super fun.

Dehumanized on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't know where you can get it, but Atomic Bomberman is a fun game and can have two players on one keyboard.

Peewi on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No one mentioned Civ or Alpha Centauri?

Also, Get Medieval

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    No one mentioned Civ or Alpha Centauri?

Also, Get Medieval

What? They have a two player split screen mode?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • darkblue117darkblue117 Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    This thread is awesome, I also benefited from these suggestions.
    Please don't stop.

darkblue117 on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia

although I can't comment on quality.

Rook on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anything with old Sidewinder gamepad support (daisy-chainable).

Microsoft Marbles comes to mind.

CZroe on
  • DemicoreDemicore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    THE FOOTBALL MANAGER SERIES

...and Alpha Centauri.

Demicore on
    There's nothing I love more than male nipples in Starcraft, the two go together so well. - Tasteless
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have fond memories of playing split screen Wacky Wheels when I was younger. Graphics might be a tad dated now. Mortal Kombat 2&3 are also good two player, if you can share the keyboard for that type of game.

hyperpower on
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    RISK II (oh man sooo good!)

Just confirming that Risk II (from Microprose) is possibly the best Risk adaption ever made to a video game, ever. If you ever outgrow hotseat it even has network play.

zanetheinsane on
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've always liked Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22219

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stringstring Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fantasy Wars (Flash/sound warning) is turn-based strategy and has hotseat gameplay.

string on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    I haven't played it yet, but Shadowgrounds: Survivor apparently has 2-player co-op. I liked the original Shadowgrounds a lot. Apparently it also has co-op, but I just loaded it up and didn't see any option for that in the menus.

I'm certain that Shadowgrounds: Survivor supports single PC co-op.

I found Shadowgrounds to be pretty meh, but Shadowgrounds: Survivor I really enjoyed. It felt as if they really tightened up the gameplay and design. The graphics and effects are surprisingly good and well realised for what is essentially an indie developed game. It doesn't feel like just the level pack I was expecting. In terms of difference and improvement I'd equate it to the difference between HL2: Ep1 and Ep2.

Haven't tried co-op (there's no online component, only offline co-op on the same PC), but the game was designed with co-op (since that was also a major part of the original ShadowGrounds) in mind so I imagine it'd be fun. There's also new "survival" missions which are basically about surviving for as long as you can and getting as many points as possible.

In any case, you can get both off of Steam for about $25, so it's a pretty good deal.

subedii on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Moonbase Commander really could have used a hot seat mode. It is my 2nd favorite turn-based strategy game. Gunbound has the same problem. I guess that leaves Worms and Serious Sam. I heard Unreal Tournament 3 has a splitscreen mode accessible with an ini file tweak.

FreddyD on
  • FanaticalistFanaticalist Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Ur-Quan Masters is a free remaking of Star Control 2. The original developers were good enough to release the 3DO source code and the community ported it, and its outstanding 2-player melee mode, to the PC. My friends and I mashed many a keyboard button back in the day on this, but it is a 15 year old game so YMMV. Still a great game and worth a peek.

Fanaticalist on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    zilo on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does Kane & Lynch actually require 360 controllers? Because I've got controllers that are very like, but not actually, 360 controllers.

Also, yeah, played Wacky Wheels in all my English classes this year.

LaCabra on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ragdoll Masters is a pretty solid two player game. You just bash your buddy around, then change the settings and do it again!

DekuStick on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    If you can find it, Hunter Hunted.

FyreWulff on