As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OpenWRT vs ddWRT

• Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    dd-wrt

Though I cannot, nor will I, qualify this assertion in any way.

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They're both so much better than whatever firmware came pre-installed on the router that it's almost silly to compare them. It's like saying "I currently own a Ford Festiva. Which car is better, a Corvette or a Viper?"

Personally, I prefer DD-WRT.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    They're both so much better than whatever firmware came pre-installed on the router that it's almost silly to compare them. It's like saying "I currently own a Ford Festiva. Which car is better, a Corvette or a Viper?"

Well, I'll take the Corvette. ;p

Snowcone on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DD-WRT is fantastic.

I use and love it. Every feature I need ever.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It wasn't mentioned, but Tomato is also a fantastic firmware.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    It wasn't mentioned, but Tomato is also a fantastic firmware.

That's what I was going to suggest. I would use Tomato if I didn't end up with a WRT54G v5. I'm stuck with DD-WRT mini. They all work great, but Tomato has a bit more functionality than DD-WRT.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Seems like Tomato has a very short list of supported hardware.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does dd-wrt do anything for improving reliability of the connection strngth? The biggest issue I have with my WRT350N is that my connection speed varies from 13mbps to 215 mbps, and everywhere in between...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Do you not have a Buffalo or Linksys router? I thought that's all anyone bought anymore.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Snowcone wrote: »

You'd take a Corvette over a Viper? D: You're kidding, right?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Snowcone wrote: »

You'd take a Corvette over a Viper? D: You're kidding, right?

reading through this thread, I completely forgot the subject and focused on that.

the thread was about kittens, right?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Trying to upgrade my Linksys to dd-wrt semi-bricked my router. I'm still unable to use its wireless functions.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    You can't semi-brick a router...

bricking refers to a firmware malfunction that makes it impossible to access the router, With no way to interface with it or update the damaged or malfunctioned firmware there is no way to fix the problem. Thus turning the expensive piece of network equipment into an expensive brick.

If you can access the router it isn't bricked.

If your wireless functions arnt working try flashing a new firmware.

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I recently bought a new router and put dd-wrt on. it's better than my flakey old d-link piece of crap, in so far as UPnP works and it handles many more connections at once without crashing, but the wireless still flakes out every few day and I have to reboot it. It's not the be-all-end-all router solution I'd hoped for

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I recently bought a new router and put dd-wrt on. it's better than my flakey old d-link piece of crap, in so far as UPnP works and it handles many more connections at once without crashing, but the wireless still flakes out every few day and I have to reboot it. It's not the be-all-end-all router solution I'd hoped for

Did you configure it at all? Depending on what you're running (Torrents are a big one), there' a maximum connections that is set far too low. This can cause the router to 'flake' after a few days because it hits it's cap and you aren't able to open any new connections. A reboot fixes it, then it happens again a few days later.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

Did you configure it at all? Depending on what you're running (Torrents are a big one), there' a maximum connections that is set far too low. This can cause the router to 'flake' after a few days because it hits it's cap and you aren't able to open any new connections. A reboot fixes it, then it happens again a few days later.

You should be able to configure the maximum number of connections (I set mine to 4096, though I've never surpassed even a quarter of that), and DD-WRT might let you set timeouts for various connection states. You'll probably be fine with 2048 as a starting point for the max connections value.

As a reference, here are my timeout settings:
    connections.png

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I'll give it a shot, but this seems to consistently happen after nothing more than a few days of web browsing.

Edit: That, and wired connections remain fine. The wireless simply consistently refuses to respond until I reboot it

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Do you not have a Buffalo or Linksys router? I thought that's all anyone bought anymore.

Actually I don't right now. I have a crappy Dlink DI-524. I'll change that at some point, but despite being a piece of shit it works without any problems and never needs to be rebooted.

Snowcone on