As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie of the year!

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Superbad, Best movie of the year. Period. You mean.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I'm currently reading through A Song of Ice and Fire. Can I just imagine that the first three books are a big 20-hour movie and nominate that?

But seriously, I agree with whoever mentioned Zodiac. It came out earlier in the year so it's probably been forgotten by many, but that was a really great movie. I haven't seen No Country for Old Men yet unfortunately, but from everything I've heard about it, it sounds like it will be a strong contender as well.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This year was a really good year for movies.

Picking one would just not feel right.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not the best, but I'd say the Mist was the best surprise of the year. I didn't know anything about it going in besides that it starred the Punisher, but I loved every minute of it. Especially the end.

yakul on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    So I'm currently reading through A Song of Ice and Fire. Can I just imagine that the first three books are a big 20-hour movie and nominate that?

They're turning it into an HBO series, so you can nominate that. Sort of.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2007
    Cult movie from this year is going to be Man from the Earth.

Unknown User on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2007
    Bourne was leagues better in action then anything else this year. Transformers, I am Legend, all that crap is worthless in comparison.

Unknown User on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    300 was incredibly mediocre.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jebu wrote: »
    For me, it's a tossup between Juno and Superbad as far as comedies go.

No Country For Old Men was probably the best drama, although I really liked Gone Baby Gone too.

Yes, someone else saw Juno! Ya, it's a toss up for me between those two movies as best comedy of the year. Juno was great, and the lines were delivered better than the ones in Superbad, but Superbad's plot was much more relatable and closer to heart than Juno's.

No Country for Old Men was the best movie I've seen this year as far as how it was directed and acted and, y'know, it being a movie. This film was art, whereas Superbad was just a lot of laughs.

Come to think of it, Juno wasn't just a comedy so maybe it should claim the moniker "Movie of the Year"

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jebu wrote: »
    For me, it's a tossup between Juno and Superbad as far as comedies go.

No Country For Old Men was probably the best drama, although I really liked Gone Baby Gone too.

Yes, someone else saw Juno! Ya, it's a toss up for me between those two movies as best comedy of the year. Juno was great, and the lines were delivered better than the ones in Superbad, but Superbad's plot was much more relatable and closer to heart than Juno's.

No Country for Old Men was the best movie I've seen this year as far as how it was directed and acted and, y'know, it being a movie. This film was art, whereas Superbad was just a lot of laughs.

Come to think of it, Juno wasn't just a comedy so maybe it should claim the moniker "Movie of the Year"

The thing I really liked about Juno was that it had this really outwardly assertive, independent girl as a main character, but as the movie went on you got to really see how vulnerable she was and how much more maturing she really had to do. Plus the mother verbally ripping apart the doctor was fucking awesome.

Jebu on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't seen Juno yet, I'm going next week...

That being said... one of two things has happened in this thread...

either:

A) Only like, two of you have seen No Country for Old Men
    or
    B) I have VASTLY, INCREDIBLY, INCALCULABLY over estimated the intelligence of this forum.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited December 2007
    It would be a pretty boring thread if everyone mentioned the same movie. There have been a number of mentions for No Country already.

Its entirely possible that Hot Fuzz is in fact the better movie.

yakul on
    edited December 2007
    yakul wrote: »
    It would be a pretty boring thread if everyone mentioned the same movie. There have been a number of mentions for No Country already.

Its entirely possible that Hot Fuzz is in fact the better movie.

hmm... so I guess it's B then.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't seen Into the Wild, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Michael Clayton, and Juno; so I don't feel prepared to make the call. I've seen No Country for Old Men and Eastern Promises and I'm rather sure I won't pick either of those.

Hoz on
    edited December 2007
    No Country didn't have Timothy Dalton.

How the fuck do you explain that smarty pants?

yakul on
    edited December 2007

oh... shit... I didn't know Fuzz had Timothy Dalton.

Nevermind. I withdraw my objection with apologies.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • skinny87skinny87 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can anyone help me with a massive flaw I found in I Am Legend?
    When he is captured in the trap and hangs upside down, that scene. I didn't understand it. The zombies are supposed to be as dumb as hell, jumping into sunlight to get food. So how did they suddenly get the intelligence to move Fred and bait a trap like the one WS had rigged earlier?

?

skinny87 on
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spider-Man 3 was my favorite.

But nowhere near the best. But I am gay for Spider-Man so you know where I'm coming from.

Noray on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

He was fucking awesome in it, too.

One Thousand Cables on
    edited December 2007
    I liked No Country and Juno best, but I also have no love at all for Transformers. So ya.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2007

Why don't we just cut off that head of yours and see what secrets come tumbling out?

yakul on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Why don't we just cut off that head of yours and see what secrets come tumbling out?
    That line is gold.

Hoz on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A bunch of movies that you're all naming have yet to come out in NZ, so I can't judge them. I will say that, from what I've seen so far, Zodiac has been my favourite film this year.

Duki on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Best Hot Fuzz of the Year: Hot Fuzz
    Best Action Movie of the year: 300
    Best Comedy: Knocked Up (haven't seen Superbad)
    Best Drama: likely Charlie Wilson's War
    Best Special Effects movie of the year: Transformers

Movie of the Year: 300. Caveat: Midnight release only.

Story: So, my friends and I all head to the theater to midnight 300 at the biggest local. Now, we're there with all of the comci shop guys because hey, 300 was a pretty kickass comic and all the trailers were goddamn amazing. We also talk through midnight movies as, suusally, none of us are there for a totally serious theatergoing experience.

So, 300 comes up and we watch it, laughing and having a good time. But this one guy, at the end of the movie, stands up and yells at me with this hatefire in his eyes for talking during the movie. Keep in mind, friends next to me couldn't hear me because of how loud the movie was, and this guy was like ten feet away. It was epic.

LibrarianThorne on
    edited December 2007
    Yeah if you're going to a midnight movie you should pretty much expect a rowdy crowd.

yakul on
    edited December 2007
    You're one of those guys that talks during movies? Go someplace and die.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In regards to dramas this year, I liked No country for old men the most. In regards to comedies this year, I liked Lars and the real girl.

Lucid on
  • Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shoot Em' Up
    It has action, Drama, comedy, Political Turmoil, an it was filmed in toronto.

Masked_Mullet on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I liked Apocalypto better than 300. I'd vote for Once for best drama.

emnmnme on
  • WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sweeny Todd needs to get something.

It was incredible.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You're one of those guys that talks during movies? Go someplace and die.

Seriously.

I'd yell at your ass too.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
    edited December 2007
    skinny87 wrote: »
    When he is captured in the trap and hangs upside down, that scene. I didn't understand it. The zombies are supposed to be as dumb as hell, jumping into sunlight to get food. So how did they suddenly get the intelligence to move Fred and bait a trap like the one WS had rigged earlier?

?
    He didn't come into the sunlight because he was stupid, he came because he was mad. He was getting smarter, not dumber. So he mimicked the trap Will Smith set.

meh... not that it makes a LOT of sense.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I have to agree with the people saying No Country For Old Men.

Shinto on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No Country is the best movie this year by a fair margin. However there are many other excellent ones. For comedies I'm torn between Superbad and Hot Fuzz, in particular.

Evil Multifarious on
  • syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    skinny87 wrote: »

?
    He didn't come into the sunlight because he was stupid, he came because he was mad. He was getting smarter, not dumber. So he mimicked the trap Will Smith set.

meh... not that it makes a LOT of sense.

It's a sign that they were going to...
    ...do the still-intelligent Infected plotline from the book, and then abandoned it completely because it was too depressing.

That said...

No Country for Old Men.

Really. I loved Hot Fuzz and American Gangster... but NCFOM is a Great Movie. Great Movies don't come along very often.

syrion on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I liked IAL. It was definitely a bit of a downer and I'd prefer to ignore the end of the movie, but everything before
    the woman and kid showed up

was great.

I didn't see Children of Men until this year so it's definitely my favorite thing I've seen all damn year.

Clint Eastwood on
  • slowrollslowroll __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought Michael Clayton was excellent. I also thorougly enjoyed the Bourne Ultimatum. I thought I am Legend was best when it was contemplative and worst when it was flooded with CGI monsters. I wish I hadn't seen 300's trailers. I'm Not There is flawed, but enoyable. Spiderman 3 for disappoint of the year. I loved both the Seth Rogan comedies. I hope Viggo Mortensen is nominated for his performance in Eastern Promises. Zodiac is great. I didn't enjoy The Host as much as everyone else, but I get why it would have such wide appeal. Transformers exceeded my expectations.

I haven't seen Juno, Sweeney Todd, No Country for Old Men (definitely next of the list), Hairspray, Sicko, Charlie Wilson's War, the Jesse James flick, American Gangster or 3:10 to Yuma. :(

slowroll on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Charlie Wilson's War was fun, but I wouldn't put it in for best in any category.

Shinto on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Michael Clayton was fabulous and I can't recommend it enough. A thoughtful movie of ethics in the vein of the social classics of the 70s (Network comes to mind, as does Q&A), it does what that spate of well-intentioned Iraq-war movies mostly failed to do, namely to shine a light on the murky morality of the times and chart a course through the fog.

It's not about any blatantly ripped-from-the-headlines issues - Clooney's lawyer works for a firm defending an unscrupulous chemical company from a class-action lawsuit, a plot that would have been as at home in 1976 as today - but it feels intensely modern and urgent all the same, with its theme of burgeoning, reawakening conscience and the fragility of success.

It's also just fabulously well-made; the exciting bits are exciting, there are some inspiring speeches that really do inspire and the jokes are funny. This stuff is harder than it sounds. The photography is really crisp and clean and has an eye for the telling details, like in an extended shot where Tilda Swinton takes five minutes to put on her makeup and lay out her clothes in preparation for the day's big presentation. As an experience, as something that you pay money to sit and see, the movie is a sedate, stately, but nonetheless effective treat for the senses, like a long smooth ride in a luxury car.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Michael Clayton was fabulous and I can't recommend it enough. A thoughtful movie of ethics in the vein of the social classics of the 70s (Network comes to mind, as does Q&A), it does what that spate of well-intentioned Iraq-war movies mostly failed to do, namely to shine a light on the murky morality of the times and chart a course through the fog.

It's not about any blatantly ripped-from-the-headlines issues - Clooney's lawyer works for a firm defending an unscrupulous chemical company from a class-action lawsuit, a plot that would have been as at home in 1976 as today - but it feels intensely modern and urgent all the same, with its theme of burgeoning, reawakening conscience and the fragility of success.

It's also just fabulously well-made; the exciting bits are exciting, there are some inspiring speeches that really do inspire and the jokes are funny. This stuff is harder than it sounds. The photography is really crisp and clean and has an eye for the telling details, like in an extended shot where Tilda Swinton takes five minutes to put on her makeup and lay out her clothes in preparation for the day's big presentation. As an experience, as something that you pay money to sit and see, the movie is a sedate, stately, but nonetheless effective treat for the senses, like a long smooth ride in a luxury car.

Yeah, that was a downright fantastic movie, easily my second favorite of the year to Zodiac. You hit the nail on the head, though, I loved the photography and the pacing of the movie. Clooney and Wilkinson were terrific as well.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust