As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virtual Boy: Any Yay, or All Nay?

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok, so I haven't touched a Virtual Boy since they were on display at Blockbuster over a decade ago, and I hear they've become sought-after as collector's items of a sort. I might be able to get one at a decent enough price, but I'm still a little unsure.

I'm most curious about Wario Land for it, which I've heard different things about, but it seems to command the most money of anything on the system. Has anyone here played through that? And if so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth getting the system just for that one game? (Be nice if Nintendo remade it as Wii Ware with 3D graphics or something)

Or are there any other games that weren't so bad after all? Needless to say, I'm wondering if this is worth pursuing now, or just waiting until I have tons of money to pitter away just for the sake of "collecting."

Clearly, no one thought it was worth the... what, $180? it was asking when it came out, with the N64 right around the corner, but what about secondhand today? Is $20 a good price for the unit? What's good for the Wario Land game? I've seen that command more than the system in some cases.

And are counterfeit games even a problem for this? Is there anything else worth considering?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got it as a Christmas present when it came out. It just looks cool. Well worth $20 even if you play it for three hours.
    Just always have it on display.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mario Tennis rocks pretty hardcore if I remember my friends Virtua Boy from back in the day, and don't listen to those chumps that say that Red Alarm is anything other that garbage. Seriously I've never been able to tell the red lines of the plane apart from the red lines of everything else in that game.

Burtletoy on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love this thing. Get two of 'em, and play Mario Tennis with a friend. Best multiplayer tennis experience EVAR.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • TOPolkTOPolk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've got one. Had it since late 96 when Nintendo decided they were done with it. I begged mom for one at launch... Let's just say she's a better judge of success than I am. We wound up picking on up from Walmart for $30 and nine of the 14 games for $5 each. At the time Walmart was trying to clear out all of its VB related stock. If I would have known that a decade later it would have been a collector's item, I wouldn't have been so picky. I definitely left Virtual League Baseball, Golf, and Mario Clash sitting on the shelf.

However out of the games I do have none of them are complete garbage -- except Red Alarm. Imagine playing Star Fox, but instead of polygons you have nothing but vectors. Throw in horrible collision detection, bad music, and a framerate somewhere in the single digits and you have Red Alarm.

The rest of the collection is fairly average. VB WarioLand and Panic Bomber standing above the rest. 3D Tetris and Vertical Force (a 3D shmup) are pretty solid as well. VB WarioLand is good fun for a few hours, but there's nothing overly "3D" about it. Why it hasn't been ported to the GBA is beyond me.

TOPolk on
    http://topolk.blogspot.com
    Wii Friend Code: 8534 4083 2881 0480
    BRAWL: 4425 1130 1718
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Mario Tennis and Teleroboxer are awesome.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I rented the Virtual Boy once and I had a really good time with the boxing game and Mario tennis.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    VB WarioLand is good fun for a few hours, but there's nothing overly "3D" about it. Why it hasn't been ported to the GBA is beyond me.
    My money would be on Nintendo still trying to deny that the virtual boy ever existed.

I may be picking up a virtual boy of my own from a friend of mine who just bought 3 from someone. They're all in perfect working order.

TubularLuggage on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok, so I haven't touched a Virtual Boy since they were on display at Blockbuster over a decade ago, and I hear they've become sought-after as collector's items of a sort. I might be able to get one at a decent enough price, but I'm still a little unsure.

I'm most curious about Wario Land for it, which I've heard different things about, but it seems to command the most money of anything on the system. Has anyone here played through that? And if so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth getting the system just for that one game? (Be nice if Nintendo remade it as Wii Ware with 3D graphics or something)

Or are there any other games that weren't so bad after all? Needless to say, I'm wondering if this is worth pursuing now, or just waiting until I have tons of money to pitter away just for the sake of "collecting."

Clearly, no one thought it was worth the... what, $180? it was asking when it came out, with the N64 right around the corner, but what about secondhand today? Is $20 a good price for the unit? What's good for the Wario Land game? I've seen that command more than the system in some cases.

And are counterfeit games even a problem for this? Is there anything else worth considering?

I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for one, that's what Toys R Us was selling them for after it crashed.

And since you wanted to know, it was 300$ when it came out, although it might have had a last second cut to 250$.

FyreWulff on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    it will hurt your eyes, i wouldnt recommend getting one for anything beyond novelty display value

Ah_Pook on
    edited December 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    it will hurt your eyes, i wouldnt recommend getting one for anything beyond novelty display value

It seems to depend on the person. This was not true in my case.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I payed $30 for mine. $20 is a good price. Make sure it works first, though.

Games I have: Mario Tennis (good), Red Alarm (I liked this one...apparently someone above did not), Wario Land (great platformer, but it will make your eyes hurt to play it as long as you need to play a platformer for), and Vertical Force (a Shmup).

I play mine every now and then when I'm feeling nostalgic. It's obvious to see why it failed, but the games themselves aren't too bad.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Paid.

On that note, what the hell is a Virtual Boy, I believe it was before my time. Seems to me it was a retarded child of Nintendo's.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Paid.

On that note, what the hell is a Virtual Boy, I believe it was before my time. Seems to me it was a retarded child of Nintendo's.

virtualboy.jpg

mario-tennis-virtual-boy.jpg

Edit: That's right. Two D-pads.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I still remember when everyone was proclaiming the DS to be the second coming of the Virtual Boy.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I still remember when everyone was proclaiming the DS to be the second coming of the Virtual Boy.

"You'll be able to walk in on Wii launch day and get one".

FyreWulff on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

"You'll be able to walk in on Wii launch day and get one".

I was SO banking on that idea, didn't get one till like 6 months later.

Edit: By camping out for like 20min at 9am

Burtletoy on
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To the kind soul who posted pictures of the Virtual Boy. Thank you.

Thank you and what the fuck was that.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I liked the Virtual Boy. Was pretty smooth and detailed for it's time. Just... the Red. Lawd.

Sheep on
    edited December 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    what the fuck was that.

The geatest piece of video game hardware you will never play.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The sad thing about Virtual Boy...

marioadv10.jpg

When it died, it took the Mario Land series with it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    One thing to note if your buying used is the stand's center plastic piece over time can tend to crack a little.

powersurge on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Virtual Boy was awesome, and the closest we'll be to in-home virtual reality for a while yet. :D

I'm still mad at my friend for throwing it away when he moved. :(

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd pay $20 for one of these, would give me a reason to cleanup the coffee table for some display space.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I did play through Wario and I loved every second. It was the first good Wario game (yes, I am dissing SML3:Wario Land). Get it, Mario Clash, and Mario Tennis (the pack-in).

Word to the wise: The VB stands crack even with non-use. Nintendo no longer carries them so it is now the most important part for a collector. If yours is not cracked, DO NOT USE IT. Do not even display your VB with it. If you must, take a plastic brace from the elbow of the stand and fit it at the mechanical hinge instead. My replacement stand was never used and I did this but it cracked anyway (albeit, at a slightly different place). Nintendo's parts store will never restock. Someone needs to make some after-market VB stands.
    I love this thing. Get two of 'em, and play Mario Tennis with a friend. Best multiplayer tennis experience EVAR.

The link cable was never released and there was never a confirmed 2p mode in Mario Tennis AFAIK. Nintendo suggested that a girl's little brother would "swing a mean racket" when he turned 7 and could play his own VB, but that's hardly confirmation.

CZroe on
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Teleroboxer made the best use of the 2 d-pads.

Saddler on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The two D-Pads were the precursor to a "3D control stick" (as Nintendo calls the N64 thumbstick). They figured that they'd need a control method for the added degrees of freedom/depth.
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for one, that's what Toys R Us was selling them for after it crashed.

And since you wanted to know, it was 300$ when it came out, although it might have had a last second cut to 250$.

What country do you live in? In the US, it was $30 and TRU in the end and it launched for $180. I still have the 3D issue of Nintendo Power (glasses FTW).

CZroe on
    edited December 2007
    ZRacers01.png

Oh man. That's a screenshot of the cancelled "Zero Racers", a spinoff of F-Zero. It was originally designed by someone who played the first 5 seconds of Star Fox, where you're zipping down that tunnel with the loudspeaker blaring "EMERGENCY! EMERGENCY!" and they thought "Man, I'd like to play a whole game of JUST this."

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got one of these after it crashed, and really loved the thing. I was super-obsessed with the idea of VR at the time.

My favorite games were Mario Tennis, Teleroboxer, and weirdly, Waterworld.

If they made another VB, I'd buy it.

EDIT: Tetris was also pretty fantastic.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • TalTal Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is a good thread. You reminded me of the fleeting awesome that is / was the Virtual Boy *and* you did it while I'm visiting my parents so I can actually dig through the closet to find it.

I don't think I ever used that stand. I would always play while laying down and just resting the visor on my face.

But yes, for $20 you should buy it. I think that's what I paid when I got mine, plus the $5 per game or so. Even it was crap I knew it'd be fun long enough to justify the cost. Some of those games were a pleasant surprise.

Tal on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Christ, where do you people find these things for $20? Last time I checked on eBay, these things still went for $80+.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the thing i remember most vividly about the virtual boy was popping two extra strength tylenol to stave off the inevitable crippling headaches whenever I wanted to play mario tennis. It was truly the masochist's system

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wario Land is probably one of the better or best platformers of all time.

Red Alarm
    Teleroboxer
    and Galactic Pinball

are all tops

Deusfaux on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had one displayed on top of a book shelf in my room when I was in college. I played it every now and then and had some decent fun.

Then my house burned down and the thing melted into a pile of black and red plastic goo.

R.I.P. Virtual Boy (just mine).

Edit: This was back in '04

DSC01859.jpg

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I tried one of these at this year's Midwest Gaming Classic.

At least, I attempted to try it, but my eyes did not even hold out long enough for me to grab a controller.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the bomberman puzzle game pretty addicting as well, can't remember the name of it tho.

.la1n on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    I got one of these after it crashed, and really loved the thing. I was super-obsessed with the idea of VR at the time.

I'm still obsessed with the idea of VR. Never had a Virtual Boy, but I would snatch one up for $20 in a heartbeat just for the novelty factor!

Sharp10r on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I remember seeing them on sale. For some reason I also think of that Sega edutainment system whenever I hear of the VB. What was it called? Pico?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I had one displayed on top of a book shelf in my room when I was in college. I played it every now and then and had some decent fun.

Then my house burned down and the thing melted into a pile of black and red plastic goo.

R.I.P. Virtual Boy (just mine).

Edit: This was back in '04

DSC01859.jpg

Didn't you post pics of the rubble? If so, I remember that. Was horrible. My soul ached for you and your virtual boy.
    the bomberman puzzle game pretty addicting as well, can't remember the name of it tho.

Panic Bomber.

And yeah. That edutainment system was the Pico.

Sheep on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Games I own and recommend you get:

Galactic Pinball
    Mario Clash
    Mario Tennis
    Panic Bomber
    Red Alarm
    Teleroboxer
    Vertical Force
    Wario Land

Games that I remember reading about being good, but never bought:

Nester's Funky Bowling - d'no, GamePro loved it
    Virtual League Baseball - Some people love this game, others hate it
    Waterworld - This is a weird yet really fun arcade-style game. It's kinda repetitive but really fun in short bursts

I also remember good things about these, reading about them, but I don't know anything about them:
    Jack Bros
    3D tetris

slash000 on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    I liked the Virtual Boy. Was pretty smooth and detailed for it's time. Just... the Red. Lawd.

Which reminds me; anyone know of the games were actually made in red, or if it was just the lenses you look through that made it appear that way?
    The sad thing about Virtual Boy...

marioadv10.jpg

When it died, it took the Mario Land series with it.

That one saddened me, in a way. Some relief, as since it never came out, I didn't miss it, but still... that, and the Zelda-like top-down stuff looked pretty cool:

Image26.jpg
    Tal wrote: »
    This is a good thread. You reminded me of the fleeting awesome that is / was the Virtual Boy *and* you did it while I'm visiting my parents so I can actually dig through the closet to find it.

Thanks, and you're welcome. :)
    Christ, where do you people find these things for $20? Last time I checked on eBay, these things still went for $80+.

Believe it or not? eBay. That's why I wanted to be a little more educated in the matter before proceeding.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!