As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reccomend: An HDTV that displays SD content well

Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
Situation: I currently have a 26inch Widescreen LCD TV/Monitor. It's an RCA L26W11 or something like that, it's no longer in production. It has VGA, Component, S-Video/Composite, and another Composite hookup. It displays 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i. The native resolution is 1360x768.

And anything on Wii or PS2 looks like absolute ass on it. Jaggies out the fucking wazoo. Some research has shown that this is because LCD's only display "well" at their native resolution - in this case, 1360x768. Displaying content at any other resolution is a no-go. This isn't a problem for my 360, as I have it hooked up via VGA and can manually set the resolution to 1360x768.

So right now I'm in the market for a new TV that can display SD content well. LCD is out because of the reasons posted above. I don't need the whole nine yards - 30inches or so is fine, I only need 1 HDMI, and don't care about 1080P (im sitting too far from the TV to notice the benefit over 720p). I'm also looking for something that's not holyfuckexpensive either.

I've been looking at this, Samsung TX-S3080WH. It's listed as no longer available on Samsung's site, but my local Best Buy still has a few.

So I reach out to you, denziens of Moe's Stupid Technology Forum, assist me in my new TV purchase! Or, if there's any way to make Wii/Ps2 games not look like shit on my LCD, I'd appreciate that input as well.

i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
Kemal86 on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I have a 32" Samsung LCD that's entirely watchable. It's really important to be using component for your consoles where possible, and that you have the console's display settings set correctly. Using the TV to scale the image is never the right answer.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you can find one, the Sony 34XBR960.

If general, if you can handle the size/weight issues, a CRT will usually beat a comparable LCD/Plasma/DLP for handling SD content.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »

If general, if you can handle the size/weight issues, a CRT will usually beat a comparable LCD/Plasma/DLP for handling SD content.
    Yeah, any type of HD-CRT is going to display 480i better than pretty much anything else. The size isn't ideal usually, but it will look much better.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »

Yup. I picked up a Sony kv-34hs420 a few years back and couldn't be more happier with it.

Yeah, its heavy as hell, but picture to cost ratio compared to LCD's and plasmas at the time couldn't be beat.

I'm sure you could find a used one between 500 - 800.

Saar on