As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My microphone records everything other than me!

TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, for Christmas I got these kickass surround sound headphones (Headphones be here), so I want them to work nice. The problem is that the microphone records any music/game sound, but not my voice. Even when nothing is playing it still doesn't record me. I know I have it plugged into the right connection, but maybe something inside is messed up? I'm also using this program to manage my onboard sound (I think the card is a Realtek AC'97).

Theres always a chance that I'm a ghost though...

Help!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
TheLawinator on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It sounds like you've got your soundcard set to automatically patch your line out into your mic in.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    tuscloud311tuscloud311 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    this usually happens in chat programs like Ventrilo, and the only advice i can give is to check which mixer your sound card is using for your microphone. Make sure it is set to (uhh..) Microphone, and not something like "Wave In". My mixers usually default it to that which causes a loopback effect. Every time i hit my mic, it would transmit what was coming through my sound card....

other than that, i got nothin. good luck.

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ok, I went into my recording control and stereo mix was checked, but when I try to check microphone instead it won't let me. Any suggestions?

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Disable the mixer?

What program are you using your microphone through?

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Any program that I use, Vent, TF2, and the sound recorder program with windows, it happens in all of them. How do I disable my mixer without killing anything important?

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ah well if its happening in the windows sound recorder, then it definately isnt something you can just disable. Most of the time, programs like Vent you can disable mixers or change your sound card properties to a default and not lose the quality....

BUT! since it isnt just vent, it looks like you might have to poke around your OS a little bit. Try getting the newest drivers and see if they have a program/utility that comes with it....

What kind of headset is it?

Also, this is my last post for the day because i am heading out from work so sorry if you dont figure it out by tomorrow. GL man.

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I posted the headset in my first post. I got the new drivers and am going to restart my machine and see what happens.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ah sorry, i tend to overlook hyperlinks on forums.

5.1 headsets are tricky as ALL hell if your sound card is out-dated. How old is your sound card? VERY good headphones are only VERY good if you have a good sound card. Headphones alone are not enough to give you the optimal sound that they can perform at.

Since i do not specifically know this headset, this issue is beyond me. My only suggestion is to check ANY OS settings on your sound card, or any driver that the headset itself delivers (like i mentioned in an earlier post). This problem is definately universal from program to program which means it is the way your PC is handling the proper inputs (or in this case, inproper).

Hit me up in a PM if you have any other questions, but like i said....this one is beyond me.

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is a known problem with these phones. It is a simple problem of sound leaking from the cans I'm pretty sure. My buddy who bought these took them back and bought a different brand.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bump! Problem yet to be fixed.

TheLawinator on