As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fashionstravaganza

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I tried the wallet in the back pocket thing, it hurts my bum.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I tried the wallet in the back pocket thing, it hurts my bum.

Likewise. Plus, sounds like a great way to get pick-pocketed.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cell in on front pants pocket, wallet in the other. We use keycards here in China. Camera goes in my jacket if I'm taking it along, and iPod goes next to my cell or in my jacket. Good times. I like to travel light.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    Girl pants don't always have pockets, woe, and the ones that do look funny with something bigger than a piece of paper or a chapstick in them.

I tend to bug my boyfriend about carrying his cellphone in his front jeans pocket; it looks much more like "so, you're happy to see me, hmm?" than it really ought to. Maybe if he had one of those practically-microscopic phones it wouldn't be so bad.

You have more options than you're letting on, though. In terms of girl-clothes with pockets, looser-fitting jeans, purses, and more.

Looser fitting jeans still look silly with something in the pockets; it messes up the line of the jeans, and the fabric tends to be lighter than in guy jeans, so weight in the pockets stretches the pants out funny. Pretty much the only stuff I have with usable pockets at all are jeans and coats, since shirt-pockets aren't really made for keeping anything in, and the chest pockets have to go over my boobs, meaning anything in there tends to look like a tumor. D: Now, purses are awesome, but they're awkward to carry around when you're at someone's house, and the cell-phone tends to migrate to the bottom so I have to dig around for it. Sorry, VC, but my vote is still for watches. Besides, it's way easier to be sneaky about checking your watch than checking your cellphone, unless you pretend you've got a text message or something.

Find me a reasonably priced one that is vaguely reliable and doesn't weigh six pounds and I'd consider it, but probably not for very long. For me it still ends up being a redundant device that costs a buttload of money that I could spend on a nice jacket or a lot of nice whiskey instead, neither of which would be redundant. Ooh, or a new hat. I need a hat, a jacket and a scarf that are not black.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    seriously people what are the rules for dressing in the winter when it's still a summer climate D:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Your summer clothes? I dunno, I don't have a seasonal wardrobe at all due to the weather where I live.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    So, there's just... there's just no seasonal rules? Everything is thrown out the window? Fashion anarchy?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    So, there's just... there's just no seasonal rules? Everything is thrown out the window? Fashion anarchy?

If there are seasonal rules down here in southern california then I am gleefully oblivious of them.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Don't ever break the rules of fashion.
    243540765_11ad6ba123.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    Fashion anarchy?

hehe
    sigged =]

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So basically VC is not a watch person

but since it's VC that means there aren't any watch people in the world, just deluded fools that think they like watches.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've been thinking about changing my hairstyle, because the current one is just "grow until it's way too long then get it cut again"

I don't really 'style' my hair in any way because I never really liked the idea of stuff being in my hair for an entire day and I would tend to touch my hair too much :\

Here I am:
    n24413898_32224965_4779.jpg

I figured I'd also ask about casual wear and stuff also. I'm 20 and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. For the past, say... five years, I've thrown on a t-shirt (usually a boring solid black colored shirt -- I dislike most shirts with brands on them, the example that quickly comes to mind are the GAP shirts) and some pants of some dark color, typically with a cargo pocket or two. (My fashion/clothing vocabulary is abysmal :()

It's comfortable, which has gotten me through the years, but I imagine it's time I try to look good, too. :P

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

but since it's VC that means there aren't any watch people in the world, just deluded fools that think they like watches.

Damn guys, I'm sorry I [strike]raped your mom[/strike] don't like watches, I didn't realize it was such a touchy subject.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Damn guys, I'm sorry I [strike]raped your mom[/strike] don't like watches, I didn't realize it was such a touchy subject.

There's nothing wrong with not liking watches, just don't pretend it's the objectively right attitude to hold toward them and everyone else is either wrong or delusional.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    moniker wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with not liking watches, just don't pretend it's the objectively right attitude to hold toward them and everyone else is either wrong or delusional.

Yeah I never said either of those things, the first one could be mis-read into what I said because I understand the fashion-thread is SERIOUS BUSINESS for some of you but the second you fucktards pulled out of your ass when I offended you all so horribly by saying that watches are unpleasant to look at. And by "you fucktards" I mean that claim was first voiced by Puscifer during his tantrum. But I mean I get that silly bracelets are a very emotional subject for you so I guess I'll have to overlook it or something.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Zetx wrote: »
    I've been thinking about changing my hairstyle, because the current one is just "grow until it's way too long then get it cut again"

I don't really 'style' my hair in any way because I never really liked the idea of stuff being in my hair for an entire day and I would tend to touch my hair too much :\

Here I am:

I figured I'd also ask about casual wear and stuff also. I'm 20 and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. For the past, say... five years, I've thrown on a t-shirt (usually a boring solid black colored shirt -- I dislike most shirts with brands on them, the example that quickly comes to mind are the GAP shirts) and some pants of some dark color, typically with a cargo pocket or two. (My fashion/clothing vocabulary is abysmal :()

It's comfortable, which has gotten me through the years, but I imagine it's time I try to look good, too. :P
    If you're hard and fast about t-shirts (honestly, they're not that bad for your/our age) you should look around online a bit. Threadless.com is a good place to start. Most shirts don't have brands on them. This was a short-lived fad at a few low-cost fashion places (Old Navy, Gap) a few years back but it's stuck around. While you can still get shirts today with their logos on them, they're certainly not the majority of offerings.

You said you stick to black shirts and dark pants. Get some color in there with your shirts. Some dark, sure but get something brighter too.

Satan. on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zetx wrote: »

Here I am:

Protip: Footlocker (a.k.a. Champs Sporting Goods) often sells items of clothing, X of the same thing in different colors for $Y.

Good for expanding a wardrobe without too much agonizing over finding 5 polo shirts you like. Just find one shirt, and get it in black, red, green, whatever you like.

TL DR on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there a cheap place to get Levi's 501s?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I saw them at Macy's for around $30.

Organichu on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

I think Mervyns sells those... they're as cheap as you're going to get, usually.

Have you tried online yet?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So I got this nice sweater from Gap for christmas, and it's a nice sweater and I like it, but I feel kind of silly in this color and I question how well it works with my jackets.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I got this nice sweater from Gap for christmas, and it's a nice sweater and I like it, but I feel kind of silly in this color and I question how well it works with my jackets.

Pics and we shall judge.

Reckless on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Find it in the Gap's website, and link.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I like how Elki wants a solution that doesn't involve having to look at me. :P
    photo17ob4.jpg
    With my jacket and scarf (i.e; what I wore to Starbuck's this morning):
    photo19gd9.jpg

I really think I need a jacket, scarf and hat that aren't black. I used to have some blue and gray ones but they're not warm enough.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    VC: You need a richer-colored shirt under that coat.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    VC: You need a richer-colored shirt under that coat.

Yep. I like the sweater itself but the color needs to pop more against the black.

Satan. on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    VC: methinks the sweater is a size to big from the looks of that first picture.

On another topic:
    Has anyone noticed size differences in different areas of the country?
    For example the Off 5th ave Saks in Denver was 40% smalls 40% mediums and the rest various other sizes (including extra smalls which I rarely see). The Off 5th ave Saks in Dallas barely had any smalls at all. One of the associates said that they always get very few smalls and the lack of smalls wasn't due to xmas shopping.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

On another topic:
    Has anyone noticed size differences in different areas of the country?
    For example the Off 5th ave Saks in Denver was 40% smalls 40% mediums and the rest various other sizes (including extra smalls which I rarely see). The Off 5th ave Saks in Dallas barely had any smalls at all. One of the associates said that they always get very few smalls and the lack of smalls wasn't due to xmas shopping.
    That makes sense. I wouldn't imagine they send a lot of extra-smalls and smalls to Michigan, we're fat as hell here.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Most of what I got for christmas was a size too big. Especially the jeans. Apparently my family thinks I'm even fatter than I really am. :( Still, if I dropped the sweater down to medium I'd look silly, this I can assure you. I need something between large and medium.

The turtlenecks I got all fit nicely though. That's good because they're only ever going to be worn as undershirts.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That makes sense. I wouldn't imagine they send a lot of extra-smalls and smalls to Michigan, we're fat as hell here.

Hrmmm could be because Denver was ranked in the top 25 fittest cities the past 2 years and Dallas was ranked in the top 25 fattest cities the past 2 years.
    (from some survey from Men's Fitness magazine)

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Most of what I got for christmas was a size too big. Especially the jeans. Apparently my family thinks I'm even fatter than I really am. :( Still, if I dropped the sweater down to medium I'd look silly, this I can assure you. I need something between large and medium.

The turtlenecks I got all fit nicely though. That's good because they're only ever going to be worn as undershirts.

Try and shrink it like crazy in the wash and you might obtain the intermediate size. *shrug*

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Hrmmm could be because Denver was ranked in the top 25 fittest cities the past 2 years and Dallas was ranked in the top 25 fattest cities the past 2 years.
    (from some survey from Men's Fitness magazine)

Yeah, I imagine these surveys are taken into account for a lot of things in the industry.

Satan. on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    So I bought and wore these shoes and this dress to a wedding on Friday.
    shoes_iaec1050838.jpg
    _5459713.jpg

I didn't wear any accessories because I really didn't know what to put with it. Big earrings? Small earrings? A necklace sort of seems out. Perhaps a big bangle bracelet?

Suggestions, laydeez and gentelmans.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I can't help with accessories but those shoes are awesome.

irt Cow;
    My understanding of shrinking-techniques is that they're the same techniques you use to fade colours. Basically the most I know of laundry is how to avoid ruining my shit.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    A choker and broader bracelets or something... the shape of the dress kind of limits what makes sense with it.

If you want to go with the dress's theme maybe.. er...gatorskin wristbands...?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I think Mervyns sells those... they're as cheap as you're going to get, usually.

Have you tried online yet?

I have never heard of Mervyns, so no. I will look online next paycheck I guess. The sales will probably be over by then, but what can you do.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ArcadeArcade Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Small gold accessories, nothing too flashy. Not to draw attention away from the dress but mainly too support the gold on the shoes

Arcade on
    Brawl Code: 4511-1900-2949
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Revitalizing the pea coat and hoodie discussion from all those pages ago. ;-)

johnscannerdarkly.jpg

Organichu on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sup bad photoshop filter

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Sup bad photoshop filter

hai I don't do this Photoshop stuff for a living.

Prostitution is the name of my professional game, sir. :)

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.