Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Whoa, new PS3 issue.

VaregaVarega Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok guys, I got a refurb'd ps3 from gamestop/eb/whateverthefuck and I've been fooling around on it. It's pretty cool so far, but I'm having issues with the bluetooth, specifically the controllers and the headset that I have.

The controllers go out of sync pretty often in mid game, I have to press the Playstation button to sync them back. My headset, while it's synced outside in the XMB, and I can talk/hear myself from the accessory menu, just suddenly stopped working in games. I tried re-syncing both the controllers and the mic. Both have battery power and the mic does work with my phone. The mic is a Motorola H500, decent enough for this, or so I thought.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Is there a diagnostic tool built into the ps3 that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance for the help.

Varega on
League of Legends:Varega

Posts

  • ZeonZeon Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Are you wearing any big peices of metal? I find that if i accidentally let my controller rest against my belt buckle, it will go insane and then shut itself off.

    Other than that, it sounds like your PS3 is defective, because it doesnt happen to me. I would take it back and get another one.

    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zeon wrote: »
    Are you wearing any big peices of metal? I find that if i accidentally let my controller rest against my belt buckle, it will go insane and then shut itself off.

    Other than that, it sounds like your PS3 is defective, because it doesnt happen to me. I would take it back and get another one.

    Nah, i'm not wearing anything metal, though I have a lamp right near me that's pretty much entirely metal. I'll move it and see what happens.

    League of Legends:Varega
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    Ok guys, I got a refurb'd ps3 from gamestop/eb/whateverthefuck and I've been fooling around on it. It's pretty cool so far, but I'm having issues with the bluetooth, specifically the controllers and the headset that I have.

    The controllers go out of sync pretty often in mid game, I have to press the Playstation button to sync them back. My headset, while it's synced outside in the XMB, and I can talk/hear myself from the accessory menu, just suddenly stopped working in games. I tried re-syncing both the controllers and the mic. Both have battery power and the mic does work with my phone. The mic is a Motorola H500, decent enough for this, or so I thought.

    Anyone have any idea what's going on? Is there a diagnostic tool built into the ps3 that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance for the help.

    Mine happened the same way, there was no way to fix it.

    PSN; AlbertBOMB
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've found that the PS3 Controllers hate to not have line of sight on the console. If I put even one leg between the controller and the PS3, bang 5-8 seconds of "Ohshitdamnit"... Maybe I'm a robot... or Steve Austin :lol:

    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have the same problem with both of my PS3 controllers - I'm playing a game then all of a sudden I'm running forward when I'm not pressing a button. I think Wulf is right, the controllers don't seem to like being out of the line of sight of the PS3.

  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Wulf wrote: »
    I've found that the PS3 Controllers hate to not have line of sight on the console. If I put even one leg between the controller and the PS3, bang 5-8 seconds of "Ohshitdamnit"... Maybe I'm a robot... or Steve Austin :lol:

    I've actually found the exact opposite. I play my console at my desk and I often have controller in hand under the desk with the system sitting on my desktop. Unless you have a metal leg... which is possible actually.

  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    While it's common for there to be a second of interference every now and then, you shouldn't have to push the PS button to fix it. I'd get it repaired/exchanged/whatever you can do.

    steam_sig.png
  • scootchscootch Registered User
    edited December 2007
    I wouldn't take any chances with the refurb, get it replaced.

    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • edited December 2007
    Wulf wrote: »
    I've found that the PS3 Controllers hate to not have line of sight on the console. If I put even one leg between the controller and the PS3, bang 5-8 seconds of "Ohshitdamnit"... Maybe I'm a robot... or Steve Austin :lol:

    I've actually found the exact opposite. I play my console at my desk and I often have controller in hand under the desk with the system sitting on my desktop. Unless you have a metal leg... which is possible actually.

    Same here, I have played while going into my kitchen and that would put a wall and a refrigerator between me and the console, and have a friend yell out instructions to me. So yeah, I would have that shiz replaced.

    jothki wrote: »
    SOE has probably learned from its past mistake of allowing their games' NDAs to be lifted after launch.
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    I've found that the PS3 Controllers hate to not have line of sight on the console. If I put even one leg between the controller and the PS3, bang 5-8 seconds of "Ohshitdamnit"... Maybe I'm a robot... or Steve Austin :lol:

    I've actually found the exact opposite. I play my console at my desk and I often have controller in hand under the desk with the system sitting on my desktop. Unless you have a metal leg... which is possible actually.

    Same here, I have played while going into my kitchen and that would put a wall and a refrigerator between me and the console, and have a friend yell out instructions to me. So yeah, I would have that shiz replaced.

    Well, that brings up a secondary problem. I have the 'original' 60gig model, the one with all the whiz-bang features that make it worth having. What are the odds that I would be able to get one as a replacement that didn't have the PS2 taken out of it? Alternatively, could it just be that I got two dud controllers? Hitting the PS button doesn't make them resync or anything, I just have to wait and push buttons for 5-8 seconds before the controller starts working again.

    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • elizabexelizabex Registered User
    edited December 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    I wouldn't take any chances with the refurb, get it replaced.

    Simple solution, if it's feasible.

    elizabex.png
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wulf wrote: »
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    I've found that the PS3 Controllers hate to not have line of sight on the console. If I put even one leg between the controller and the PS3, bang 5-8 seconds of "Ohshitdamnit"... Maybe I'm a robot... or Steve Austin :lol:

    I've actually found the exact opposite. I play my console at my desk and I often have controller in hand under the desk with the system sitting on my desktop. Unless you have a metal leg... which is possible actually.

    Same here, I have played while going into my kitchen and that would put a wall and a refrigerator between me and the console, and have a friend yell out instructions to me. So yeah, I would have that shiz replaced.

    Well, that brings up a secondary problem. I have the 'original' 60gig model, the one with all the whiz-bang features that make it worth having. What are the odds that I would be able to get one as a replacement that didn't have the PS2 taken out of it? Alternatively, could it just be that I got two dud controllers? Hitting the PS button doesn't make them resync or anything, I just have to wait and push buttons for 5-8 seconds before the controller starts working again.

    So your controllers get 'stuck' for a few seconds? That's pretty much par for the course and not something I would really worry about.

    Also if you do have to get that one sent in, I would make sure to specify to the customer service rep that you paid for hardware backwards compatibility and you expect your replacement model to have it.

    steam_sig.png
  • edited December 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    I've found that the PS3 Controllers hate to not have line of sight on the console. If I put even one leg between the controller and the PS3, bang 5-8 seconds of "Ohshitdamnit"... Maybe I'm a robot... or Steve Austin :lol:

    I've actually found the exact opposite. I play my console at my desk and I often have controller in hand under the desk with the system sitting on my desktop. Unless you have a metal leg... which is possible actually.

    Same here, I have played while going into my kitchen and that would put a wall and a refrigerator between me and the console, and have a friend yell out instructions to me. So yeah, I would have that shiz replaced.

    Well, that brings up a secondary problem. I have the 'original' 60gig model, the one with all the whiz-bang features that make it worth having. What are the odds that I would be able to get one as a replacement that didn't have the PS2 taken out of it? Alternatively, could it just be that I got two dud controllers? Hitting the PS button doesn't make them resync or anything, I just have to wait and push buttons for 5-8 seconds before the controller starts working again.

    So your controllers get 'stuck' for a few seconds? That's pretty much par for the course and not something I would really worry about.

    Also if you do have to get that one sent in, I would make sure to specify to the customer service rep that you paid for hardware backwards compatibility and you expect your replacement model to have it.


    Par for the course? I have never had that happen, except with bottoming out batteries. So no, I would be a little worried.

    jothki wrote: »
    SOE has probably learned from its past mistake of allowing their games' NDAs to be lifted after launch.
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, I called up gamestop, and they can't get me a replacement PS3, since it's a 60 gig. I might be forced to get credit D:

    League of Legends:Varega
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    I've found that the PS3 Controllers hate to not have line of sight on the console. If I put even one leg between the controller and the PS3, bang 5-8 seconds of "Ohshitdamnit"... Maybe I'm a robot... or Steve Austin :lol:

    I've actually found the exact opposite. I play my console at my desk and I often have controller in hand under the desk with the system sitting on my desktop. Unless you have a metal leg... which is possible actually.

    Same here, I have played while going into my kitchen and that would put a wall and a refrigerator between me and the console, and have a friend yell out instructions to me. So yeah, I would have that shiz replaced.

    Well, that brings up a secondary problem. I have the 'original' 60gig model, the one with all the whiz-bang features that make it worth having. What are the odds that I would be able to get one as a replacement that didn't have the PS2 taken out of it? Alternatively, could it just be that I got two dud controllers? Hitting the PS button doesn't make them resync or anything, I just have to wait and push buttons for 5-8 seconds before the controller starts working again.

    So your controllers get 'stuck' for a few seconds? That's pretty much par for the course and not something I would really worry about.

    Also if you do have to get that one sent in, I would make sure to specify to the customer service rep that you paid for hardware backwards compatibility and you expect your replacement model to have it.


    Par for the course? I have never had that happen, except with bottoming out batteries. So no, I would be a little worried.

    I could rattle off over 100 names of people this happens to. Trust me it's normal.

    I'm talking about when you're going along and suddenly the buttons stop doing anything and you move in the direction the stick was last pushed. This is a common problem and is caused by interference in the bluetooth signal.

    steam_sig.png
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, thats the issue. Damn these Bionic legs! *Cue running sounds from 6 Million Dollar Man*

    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • scootchscootch Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    Well, I called up gamestop, and they can't get me a replacement PS3, since it's a 60 gig. I might be forced to get credit D:

    they won't replace it with an 80gig? aren't they the same price?

    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    Varega wrote: »
    Well, I called up gamestop, and they can't get me a replacement PS3, since it's a 60 gig. I might be forced to get credit D:

    they won't replace it with an 80gig? aren't they the same price?

    I paid $430. I got the 60 gig specifically for the hardware back-compatibility. I have a pretty big PS2 collection, most of which are niche titles. I doubt that they'd work on the software compatibility side. Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but I'm not going to pay the same amount of money for a substandard product in my eyes.

    League of Legends:Varega
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    Varega wrote: »
    Well, I called up gamestop, and they can't get me a replacement PS3, since it's a 60 gig. I might be forced to get credit D:

    they won't replace it with an 80gig? aren't they the same price?

    Most of us who bought the 60 gig version bought it for the features, features that the 80 gig model has none of.
    edit: beateded

    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
Sign In or Register to comment.