As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Building a new computer!

TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my dad randomly decided that now was the time for both of us to get new computers! He got a quote for stuff and I'd like your opinion! It's mostly for gaming (at least mine is) and his is used for rendering programs and engineering software (but he games as well). In the next month I'll be using the same programs as him. Tell me what you think!

This is transcribed directly so excuse if anything is worded stupid

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
OCZTech 2x2GB PC2-6400 Vista Kit
Coolmast Cosmos RC-100 E-ATX S/B
ASUS P5N32-E SLI S775 680I MB (Although we may move up to the next board with the triple SLI)
2 WD 150GB RaptorX Sata 10k rpm
1 WD 500GB Sata2 7.2k rpm
Win XP pro
Samsoem Sam 20x DVD(+ and -) RW
SilverST DA750 750w mod ATX PSU

No video cards written because we haven't decided where we're getting them from. We want to get Nvidia Geforce 8800's. Tell me what I can upgrade off of this and if there are better options!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
TheLawinator on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    8800GT for your video card, without a doubt. Depending on how long it will be until your next upgrade, I'd contemplate an E6750 proc instead of a quad core, which a lot of programs won't use to its full potential. Drop one of those sticks of RAM (or drop both and go with a couple 1 gig sticks) because XP isn't going to want/need 4 gigs of RAM. And I don't know what the heck that "Coolmast Cosmos" thing is but I wouldn't buy one.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    That's his PSU.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't know anything about SilverST psu's, but I do know Corsair is the best for the money. Also, why not get vista instead of xp? While you're at it, you might want to consider the 64 bit version if you want to take advantage of the 4 gigs of ram you'll be using. 32 bit OS's, whether xp or vista, can only utilize about 3 gigs. 64 bit os's do sometimes have driver issues though, so I wouldn't advise it unless you've done the research based on what you'll be using.

The 8800gt is a good choice, but I wouldn't bother with triple SLI...it's almost always better to just upgrade a single vid card on a regular basis rather than dump a bunch of money into 2 or even 3 of the same card and NOT see double or triple the performance. Unless of course, money isn't an issue at all, in which case...have fun!

imperial6 on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My dad seems to enjoy not giving me the full picture, he is inquiring into vista 64 bit. We're probably going to get corsair memory instead. My dad REALLY wants the 8 gigs, but I probably don't need them, so I'd drop two of the sticks.

Just realised something, I forgot to put down that it's actually 4 sticks of ram at 2 gb each. We don't completely know whether or not Vista would give us trouble with his engineering programs, something I'm looking up right now.

TheLawinator on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My dad seems to enjoy not giving me the full picture, he is inquiring into vista 64 bit. We're probably going to get corsair memory instead. My dad REALLY wants the 8 gigs, but I probably don't need them, so I'd drop two of the sticks.

Just realised something, I forgot to put down that it's actually 4 sticks of ram at 2 gb each. We don't completely know whether or not Vista would give us trouble with his engineering programs, something I'm looking up right now.

With XP anything over 4 (and truthfully it's really 3.something) GB of RAM is useless, so if you're actually seriously considering 8 GB you're going to need a 64 bit OS

Gdiguy on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    That's his PSU.

That's the case.

The PSU is the (what I assume is short for) Silver Stone at the bottom.

The Raptors are unnecessary, the quad core might be too

the motherboard is the nforce 680i based one I think, which means its already outdated in that it's not compatible with newer quad cores, which is really shitty. There is an upgrade program in place from... EVGA I believe, but that's just one exception and you're building a new computer so you're better off getting a better board now.

Something P5K or P5E series from Asus. That's Intel P35 and X38 chipsets, accordingly.

Deusfaux on
    edited December 2007
    Tomorrow I'll know about any compatibility issues, if there are none then we'll end up getting vista 64 bit.

Any suggestions for cases/cooling systems, hard drives (stuff that we can raid together (preferably raid5)), cd/dvd drives (meh), and power supplies?

TheLawinator on
    edited December 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    That's his PSU.

That's the case.

the motherboard is the nforce 680i based one I think, which means its already outdated in that it's not compatible with newer quad cores, which is really shitty. There is an upgrade program in place from... EVGA I believe, but that's just one exception and you're building a new computer so you're better off getting a better board now.

Something P5K or P5E series from Asus. That's Intel P35 and X38 chipsets, accordingly.
    Hmm... what would you suggest if it was your own computer?

TheLawinator on
    edited December 2007
    For which part? mobo?

I like the Asus P5E variants, Maximus Formula, and P5K Deluxe/Premium

I have an E6600 proc right now but just got a Q6600 only cuz I got it for $250 new. I am not expecting to see any performance benefits.

I have a pair of Raptors in RAID 0, but the difference is negligible for the price difference. Seagate 10 and 11 series are great, as are some Hitachis and WDs.

Much more ram than 2 GB is kinda unnecessary for the gaming rig, and 2GB sticks are never really recommended for gaming rigs either, because they have slower timings and dont overclock as well. that will change with time, but not now.

Deusfaux on
  • ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    Link.
    See for your self about ram timings and speed.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sorry, double post.

Iceman.USAF on
    edited December 2007
    That's his PSU.

That's the case.

What makes you think the 680i is incompatible with the quad core? I ask only because I'm using that very setup, indeed that motherboard and processor right now.

Anyways, I have pretty much the same setup (just assembled a week or 2 ago).

ASUS P5N32-E SLI
    XFX 8800GT 512mb (awesome, awesome card)
    Intel Q6600 Core 2 Qu
    Corsair XMS2 2x 2GB 240pin. Vista 32 bit only recognizes 3.3something because of the way Microsoft sucks. I'm told 64 bit will fix that.
    CoolerMaster 1000W psu.

Just make sure you've got a solid PSU, at least 900W if you plan to have multiple hard drives, and ever consider doing an SLI setup.

I'd swap your WD hard drives for Seagate, but I suppose it's just preference. I trust Seagate more as they've never died on me.

Same with the memory, I prefer Corsair, as I've never had an issue. But if you're used OCZ before, rock it out!

Iceman.USAF on
    edited December 2007
    I've never used OCZ before so I think I'll go with corsair. What do you use your machine for and how well does it do that?

Normally I would do months upon months of research but my dad got a pretty big paycheck and the end of his business' fiscal year is the end of this year, so he would rather not have to pay extra income tax on 50 grand. So basically I have today and tomorrow to design and order a computer. Poo.

TheLawinator on
    edited December 2007
    Primarily gaming.

So far, I've tried Gears of War, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Supreme Commander, and Star Wars Empire at War (and expansions).

I've been able to easily max out every setting on all of these at 1280x1024 res (max my now sub-par monitor can utilize) without any sort of trouble. In fact, I can leave AIM, windows sidebar, winamp and firefox running while alt+tabbing through them no problem.

It's quite insane, actually.

Also, if nobodies said it already, newegg.com FTW. they had a pretty awesome sale on the memory got, 2x 2GB sticks for $140. That doesn't include a $40 rebate! Hooray! If you want I'll find the exact part number and all that.

Iceman.USAF on
    edited December 2007
    If you could that would totally kick ass.

TheLawinator on
    edited December 2007
    Iceman.USAF on
    edited December 2007
    I was thinking of using this ram instead
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176

99 cents more (still has the rebate), has a heat sink on it, and had more reviews. Other than that I'll show them to my dad and see what he thinks.

TheLawinator on
    edited December 2007
    They're essentially the exact same item, but both have heat spreaders on them. Guess its just a matter of looks, unless someone can see something to the contrary (I'm somewhat curious now...)

Iceman.USAF on
    edited December 2007
    I didnt say incompatible with THAT quad core, I said with newer quad cores. Like, all of the penryns, of which there is already one out (QX9650), and more to come.

Deusfaux on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Intel Core2Quad Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
    XFX 8800GT is the card to get right now. If you got some spare money you might want to get the 8800GTS 512mb.
    Coolermaster Cosmos. Good pick.
    OCZ StealthXStream 600w. Should suffice for your power needs.
    Western Digital 750GB 3.0gbps. Go crazy, if you need 1,5 terabyte of space, grab another one of these :P.
    Samsung DVD-burner SH-S203B. I think it is the one you linked also, best DVD burner out there at the moment.

To recommend memory, I think we should know first if you are going to be overclocking your memory. Otherwise it's a bit of a waste to get all the coolers on it and fast timings etc.
    Also, what monitor are you using? With this beast it's a bit of a shame if you're going to be using a 17".

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited December 2007
    I didnt say incompatible with THAT quad core, I said with newer quad cores. Like, all of the penryns, of which there is already one out (QX9650), and more to come.

Holy shit that's 1200 bucks. It would be nice to have my mobo compatible with that for the eventual upgrade...

I'll ask my dad about those items, gneGne.

TheLawinator on
    edited December 2007
    yeah the expensive extreme is always released first.

but there will be ones south of $300 too, Q9300, Q9450

Deusfaux on
    edited January 2008
    Holy SHIT we just ordered our computers. 4 grand each! My dad said screw it, and we each got SLI. 2 evga Geforce 8800 gts ssc 640 mb in each computer. We also got 4 gigs of ram in each, vista 64 bit, 1 150 gb raptor and 2 500 gb (mirrored) drives, the q6600 processor, and a thousand watt PSU. I think we actually forgot to get a dvd drive, but we can get one later.

TheLawinator on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope you got a good deal on those 8800gts 640mb cards... Since the 8800gt bests that card for less money.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited January 2008
    SLI is a waste of money, doubly so if it's done with 2 obsolete overpriced cards, but to each his own I guess.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited January 2008
    Well honestly my dad doesn't plan on upgrading again until I'm out of the house, so in the end he's saving money by making this computer last longer! We did get a pretty good deal on the cards (lemme find it quick).

TheLawinator on
    edited January 2008
    and runs cooler, is smaller, takes less power, and so on and so on

Deusfaux on
  • imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    4 grand each? pre-built? anyway grats on the sweet rig.

imperial6 on
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, we also got everything water cooled, vista 64 bit helped increase the price too.

TheLawinator on
    edited January 2008
    Total bump and double post.

The video cards we wanted were discontinued, so we went to the GTS 512 mb since they were faster and cheaper, and we got an employee discount because they were pissed that they just discontinued it. So what's that... 400 bucks off the price tag total? A bit better now.

TheLawinator on
    edited January 2008
    You could have dropped one of the video cards while you were at it and saved enough money to get a much higher performance increase later on down the line, but whatever. At ~$4k per computer I don't think money's really an issue.

TychoCelchuuu on