As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play - The Daikatana Demo!

• Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    AaronKI wrote: »
    That's funny, because...
    every version of Daikatana was abysmal. 'Nuff said.

fixd

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Come to think of it, where did the marketers for the game end up when the studio folded?

Didn't the marketers focus almost solely on how hot Stevie Case was? I mean, she was hot and all, but...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Come to think of it, where did the marketers for the game end up when the studio folded?

Didn't the marketers focus almost solely on how hot Stevie Case was? I mean, she was hot and all, but...

Well they certainly couldn't focus on the game. If Stevie Case wasn't involved, they'd have had to play up Romero's dog or something.

"HE'S BARKTASTIC!"

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

She's not hot anymore. I think she's bammed out a couple of kids since then also.

Einhander on
  • Options
    GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited December 2007
    Holy crap! Its frre on Gametap! I haven't started that up in forever! I'm DLing the game now...I have heard so much, but missed it completely because of how terrible everyone said it was at the time. But I am a kindred spirit with the likes of the Angry Video Game Nerd, and must force myself through that which is terrible. After I dig through this i have a copy of Dragon's Lair for the NES I found today. Lord, watch over my soul.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Einhander wrote: »

She's not hot anymore. I think she's bammed out a couple of kids since then also.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/5883/4d77f6c845d3fb8b5a53b46cm5.jpg
    :lol:

Couscous on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This was the best LP since LCaD.

Gilder on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    It's kind of sad, since the GBC game actually shows some promise.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    It's kind of sad, since the GBC game actually shows some promise.

It has 79 percent on Gamerankings and Gamespot gave it a 7 out of 10. Is there a word to describe the hilarity of what was probably meant to be a cheap cash in being better than the main game?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I just sat through about 22 minutes of the worst opener in gaming history. Dry dialog, bad voice acting, and the story is mind boggling. "Everyone on your block is a decendent of an ancient war, and now my daughter I trained to use the sword (even though I have never had the sword, but I know the way to wield it) is kidnapped! Save her!" cue the ninjas, and they kill the old mentor, but I was standing there listening but they just knock me out??? Ok, its time to play. I will be back.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just watch the videos on google. Much funnier, and you can pass the time by eating as well. Make some good use of that time, instead of actually playing.

Best LP of 2007?

How about Best LP Ever?

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My god....

Why is everything a robot? Does it explain why everything is a robot? The animals in the wild are all robots!

Ok, so the dragonflies can beat me down for 15 Health points? Ouch. Though not too bad, the AI is just atrocious, they just come at you in a straight line, if you run into a gator that takes a few shots just get him stuck on a corner. I did that for the first boss, just got him stuck on a piece of the terrain.

For some reason this starting gun (Ion Cannon) bounces off everything but enemies. I am doing more damage to myself then the enemies are. Not to mention that if you fire it underwater it seems to just bounce back and hit you, even though you have to shoot alot of underwater frogs, hmm.

Ok, back into the grinder. At least there hasn't been any story again.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    My god....

Why is everything a robot? Does it explain why everything is a robot? The animals in the wild are all robots!

Dr. Robotnik was offering a discount for his services.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vista x64 compatible?

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ok, so after a few rooms following my defeat of the little boss the level came to an end in a DOOMesque way. I only found 4/8 secrets :(. And I missed 5 enemies.

Damn, its a cutscene. Ok, My ancient ancestor's ghost just appeared when I was stuck in a room, and blew up a panel so the door would open, then disappeared. Um, couldn't say hi great great great great great great grandad? Oh well, I say a few bad lines then I get control...

Well, i start to get control but it seems my old grandapa broke more than that door, since my comp crashed. Oh well, I'm going back, it was just getting bad!

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    Vista x64 compatible?

Well, vista 32 compatible, so theres hope for you. Or not, depending on how you view being able to play this.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, I am still digging through the sewers, hmm, I wonder if the game stops being green tinted at some point. Maybe I am just spoiled with todays fancy color spread.

Onward. I came to a timed door, had to push a button and run through the door before it closed, and the game keeps punishing me for some reason, I guess because I'm playing it. As soon as you sprint through the door there is a big robot enemy that starts shooting rockets at you. I mean its meant to punish you, its directly touching you and starts shooting you, you are forced to take at least 3 hits before you can return fire.

I also just saved and I hit the quit so maybe to help keep another crash at bay while I post, and the quit screen asks "If you quit now I'm going to start working on summoning a Shoggoth to come kill you in your sleep. Is that ok?" Is this supposed to be funny or scary? I mean, this game has nothing whatsoever to do with Lovecraft, and doesn't feel like it, or resemble it, or make other references to it. I am so confused...

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, I am still digging through the sewers, hmm, I wonder if the game stops being green tinted at some point. Maybe I am just spoiled with todays fancy color spread.
    Brown is still the wave of the future.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A couple of years back I bought Daikatana for a few bucks on clearance. I installed it and loaded up the first level before it proceeded to freeze; I had to do a hard reboot.

Turns out the fucker corrupted my hard drive. No joke.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    A couple of years back I bought Daikatana for a few bucks on clearance. I installed it and loaded up the first level before it proceeded to freeze; I had to do a hard reboot.

Your computer wasn't expert enough for it.

Gilder on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Romero plays left-handed. Maybe that's his problem. :P

/handist

Edit: also, camera pans down from Stevie's face, focuses on her boobs, than pans back up. In mid-interview, while she's talking about level design. The filmer is just saying "Mmhm, mmhm," while she's talking. Easily the most misogynistic thing I've seen this year.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    And I just found the most unneeded weapon made. Its called the "Gas fist" and its an engine with a pull start cord that sits on top of your hand, making it vibrate.

So, am I killing or "massaging" the enemy?

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Thats it, I can't go on. I will start again in the morning, but I must take my mind off this junk.

Back to Galactic Civ 2. That should pull me back.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    Thats it, I can't go on. I will start again in the morning, but I must take my mind off this junk.

Back to Galactic Civ 2. That should pull me back.

You're a brave soul. You'll be drinking booze and taking dyzepam by the end of the horrendous journey.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Romero plays left-handed. Maybe that's his problem. :P

/handist

Edit: also, camera pans down from Stevie's face, focuses on her boobs, than pans back up. In mid-interview, while she's talking about level design. The filmer is just saying "Mmhm, mmhm," while she's talking. Easily the most misogynistic thing I've seen this year.

I thought you were kidding, but man, that was hilarious, especially because she's saying "The buildings are huge, they give you a real sense of scale" while it's happening.

The line "The first person to the exit gets a point" sums up everything you need to know about Daikatana, I think.

Also, Romero: PRETTY HAIR, LIKE A HORSE

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The game crashed my PC on the keyboard setup screen. I can tell that this is going to be good.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know, I remember when the MP Demo hit which was a long while before the SP demo and it wasn't too bad, had a bit of fun with it.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »

It seems that he may had panned down to look at her hand gestures, but I like the idea that it was just to see her breasts more.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never played Daikatana, and I'm suddenly thankful I was spared the experience by watching those linked movies. Seriously - These guys Noclip through quite a few things.

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i bought daikatana launch day..for full price..i still have the box and all contents in pristine condition since it was neatly packed away and shoved into a closet never to be touched again 30 minutes after i installed it...the longest 30 minutes of my life

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I borrowed it once from a friend just to see how bad it was
    I actually had to reinstall windows the thing was so poorly made
    Fuck Daikatana for being the worst overhyped game ever and for being an unoptimized P.O.S.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Horrible story. You have two AI companions with the intelligence of a doorknob. The game is really brown. It is really long. The game sends a ton of crappy enemies at you. The enemies suck.

Anyone else read this and have brief Gears of War flashbacks?

Two companies that suck, check. (Cole Train is awesome)
    Brown, check.
    Really long...well not really.
    Tons of crappy enemies that suck, check.

Romero is clearly ahead of his time.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    However Gears had a couple of things going for it

Your game doesn't end if the companions die
    Frequent checkpoints for reloading

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    However Gears had a couple of things going for it

Your game doesn't end if the companions die
    Frequent checkpoints for reloading

Oh true indeed.

Daikatana is so awesome to make fun of though its often overlooked that it really did shoot for the moon. It didn't get anywhere near, but if it came out when it was supposed to have it would have been accepted a lot better...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    haha, the loading times are atrocious.

im watching those vids. "Where are you?"
    *partner pops in*
    "Takes a while to load"

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love the sounds that the loading bars make. It's like they wanted to find a way to make each load more painful.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    zimfan wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    IIRC the N64 version of the game actually came out I think a year before the PC version as well.

Wiki states it came out 3 months later.

*edit: Damn titmouse and he's speed, literacy

Fixed!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

did you forget to prepare yourself when you installed it

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Well, I don't blame them. Given a choice between Daikatana and Killcreek...

killcreek-teacher.jpg

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png