As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play - The Daikatana Demo!

• Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Honestly, her face is a little weird. Mannish, maybe? Or maybe she wasn't made up very well for that shot.

gilrain on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    If you get this sucker running and get past the first level with those five billion demon frogs, than you would have gotten farther than I did.

Godspeed, my friend.

That's about as far as I went too. After the sixth or seventh glob hopping around that I shot with confetti, I was out.

Teth on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    Honestly, her face is a little weird. Mannish, maybe? Or maybe she wasn't made up very well for that shot.

looks like shes getting ready to shit im just surprised romero isnt behind her to translate her taking a dump into gameplay mechanics.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »

looks like shes getting ready to shit im just surprised romero isnt behind her to translate her taking a dump into gameplay mechanics.

Possibly NSFW
    case.jpg

Better?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    However Gears had a couple of things going for it

Your game doesn't end if the companions die
    Frequent checkpoints for reloading

It was kinda fun too. I think.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Spacehog85 wrote: »

Possibly NSFW
    case.jpg

Better?
    Yes.

gilrain on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Its interesting to me that when all those rumors were flying about Jade of A.C. fame was doing a playboy shoot, she became offended at the suggestion that she would do it. Something about being a professional and her worth being about the games she helps create.

Stevie Case, now....

Hmm.

This is what is so great about Daikatana. What's the wrong answer for "Why does Daikatana suck?"

THERE ISN'T ONE!

You can point at pretty much anything having to do with its development and find sadness.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Let's get one thing straight: I would put my penis in Ion-Storm-era Stevie Case. But if we post more pictures of her this thread will be a ranger thread and will get locked.

I'm actually surprised it's still on the first page. I'm actually considering tracking down a retail copy of Daikatana (hopefully it will work on my machine) so I can actually play it. Or maybe I'll do a LP for BattleCruiser 3000AD.

Because I hate myself.

Einhander on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Let's get one thing straight: I would put my penis in Ion-Storm-era Stevie Case. But if we post more pictures of her this thread will be a ranger thread and will get locked.

I'm actually surprised it's still on the first page. I'm actually considering tracking down a retail copy of Daikatana (hopefully it will work on my machine) so I can actually play it. Or maybe I'll do a LP for BattleCruiser 3000AD.

Because I hate myself.

If you do an LP for BattleCruiser, you will bring His Wrath upon us all. That never ends well.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    it's cool, I've got a Coke Machine that will back me up if Smart tries anything.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    KungFu wrote: »
    Edit: also, camera pans down from Stevie's face, focuses on her boobs, than pans back up. In mid-interview, while she's talking about level design. The filmer is just saying "Mmhm, mmhm," while she's talking. Easily the most misogynistic thing I've seen this year.

It seems that he may had panned down to look at her hand gestures, but I like the idea that it was just to see her breasts more.
    I think he was trying to get the hand gestures because of the "sense of scale", but the way he aborts halfway through is definately suspect, even though it must be somewhat difficult to work at such a close zoom.

I downloaded it from Gametap, put it on the hardest difficulty, and died after the first enemy. No great loss, I only watched like 30 seconds of each cutscene, they were so terrible.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FireWeasel wrote: »

Because I hate myself.

If you do an LP for BattleCruiser, you will bring His Wrath upon us all. That never ends well.

Only if you have a Coke machine for an avatar.

Pb on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    it's cool, I've got a Coke Machine that will back me up if Smart tries anything.

You know, if there's never even been a Mortal Kombat photoshop of this, I might just lose all faith in the internet.

And a Battlecruiser LP would be so good.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I read this LP twice, because it was that awesome.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I never played Daikatana.

I wanted to.

I also wanted to put it in Stevie Case.

But I didn't do that either.

One of these two things that I never did I am now happy that I never did it.

Who can guess.

Khavall on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Put Daikatana in Stevie Case.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Faugh! My use of pronouns to refer to my penis is once again my undoing!

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

This sounds like a line from the best text adventure ever.

Einhander on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I do not see "Stevie Case". Please rephrase.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You are in a deep dark forest. Possible Directions are North, South, and Romero.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »

You are in a deep dark forest. Possible Directions are North, South, and Romero.

>Go Romero

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

>Go Romero
    John Romero has made you his bitch.

Game Over.

Press Enter to suck it down.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lork wrote: »

>Go Romero

Game Over.

>Enter

installersmalljs0.png

Has anyone tried... re-making Daikatana somehow? To make it less painful?

Burnage on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Burnage wrote: »

>Go Romero

Game Over.

>Enter

installersmalljs0.png

Has anyone tried... re-making Daikatana somehow? To make it less painful?

I thought about it, using the Source Engine. But never got to it.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Maybe I'll remake Daikatana in Build.

It'll be like Shadow Warrior, only shitty.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Someone ported a DM level to source. God knows why.

Just played the demo, killed some bugs, killed some frogs, dodged a turret of sorts and punched a crocodile ...thing... in the face.

Then it crashed!

That was the best part.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    From what i played the frogs are so FUCKIN annoying.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There was a sexy parody mp3 someone made using the voice clips from Daikatana, similar to the famous Resident Evil one.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think that the saddest part is if John Romero would have just said

"I'm sorry guys, Daikatana got out of control. The game was a trainwreck by the time we hit release. We'd been working on it for so long and had so much invested that we didn't want to call it quits, so we just pushed through and the end result was a bad game. It was a really cool idea that I had, and we thought it would make a good game, but it turns out that the idea just doesn't translate well to the PC game medium. Let us consider this a lesson to any game developer who is afraid to can a project that is obviously not going to end up as a good game.

Also, to make it up to you, I'd like to announce we're working on a new Deus Ex and a new Thief."

Then he probably would have made it out relatively unscathed, as opposed to being so damn cocky about how awesome his game was.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I really think he's probably a decent game designer. He's just fucking awful at running companies and being put in power. If you read the Wikipedia article, it sounds like it mainly went wrong because he managed his team and the company in the worst way possible.

Edit: also, he may have what I like to call Reverse-Samson Syndrome. To put the syndrome in layman's terms: get a haircut, hippy -- your long hair is dragging you down.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I really think he's probably a decent game designer. He's just fucking awful at running companies and being put in power. If you read the Wikipedia article, it sounds like it mainly went wrong because he managed his team and the company in the worst way possible.

Edit: also, he may have what I like to call Reverse-Samson Syndrome. To put the syndrome in layman's terms: get a haircut, hippy -- your long hair is dragging you down.
    No, he's a terrible game designer. If you watch the LP, you'll see that the problems with this game go way beyond budget or time constraints. It gets to the point where you're genuinely shocked when you see something that appears to be a good idea (and then you find out that they fucked it up anyway).

He's a pretty good level designer, though.

Lork on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, he was the lead designer on Heretic and HeXen, and those were good games, even if Heretic was (let's be honest here) a Doom reskin with no gore.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, he was the lead designer on Heretic and HeXen, and those were good games, even if Heretic was (let's be honest here) a Doom reskin with no gore.
    He was the producer, not a designer.

Lork on
  • Options
    cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Guys, I actually own the game. The entire game. I never play it though, I just point at it and laugh.

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ok, I am now on a mission. I want to play the worst that PC gaming has to offer (that my archaic system can handle). I'm running a Pentium 3 500MHz with 384MB RAM and a 16MB Rage! 128 (I mistakenly wrote a Rage! II in the op) running XP, but I can DosBox whatever won't run natively. Here is what I've got so far:

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing: 1GHz with 64MB RAM - So it's out.

Battlecruiser: 3000 A.D.: Pentium 60 with 8MB RAM and SVGA graphics - It's doable

Daikatana: requires anywhere from Pentium 166MHz to 233MHz (depending on if you look at the box or the FAQs), 32MB RAM, 4MB VRAM - Ok, in the clear here as well

Extreme Painbrawl: Pentium 90, 16MB RAM - Ok, this one's clear too

So, what other games should I put on the list, and more importantly, where can I find copies of them? Battlecruiser is the only one that was released freeware.

Einhander on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ok, I am now on a mission. I want to play the worst that PC gaming has to offer (that my archaic system can handle). I'm running a Pentium 3 500MHz with 384MB RAM and a 16MB Rage! 128 (I mistakenly wrote a Rage! II in the op) running XP, but I can DosBox whatever won't run natively. Here is what I've got so far:

Battlecruiser: 3000 A.D.: Pentium 60 with 8MB RAM and SVGA graphics - It's doable

Daikatana: requires anywhere from Pentium 166MHz to 233MHz (depending on if you look at the box or the FAQs), 32MB RAM, 4MB VRAM - Ok, in the clear here as well

So, what other games should I put on the list, and more importantly, where can I find copies of them? Battlecruiser is the only one that was released freeware.

I've got the original Battlecruiser cd somewhere and while I got the game running a few times, figuring out what the hell to do after that is basically impossible. I saw a big round thing in space and I could launch small fighters and then it was over.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So is this thread turing into [Let's Play] - Shitty Fucking PC games?

Star Trek - New Worlds damnit!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I've got the original Battlecruiser cd somewhere and while I got the game running a few times, figuring out what the hell to do after that is basically impossible. I saw a big round thing in space and I could launch small fighters and then it was over.
    I figured out how to crash into a planet. I think that makes me an advanced player.

Lork on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I figured out how to crash into a planet. I think that makes me an advanced player.

I think that makes you Derek Smart's bitch.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think that the saddest part is if John Romero would have just said

"I'm sorry guys, Daikatana got out of control. The game was a trainwreck by the time we hit release. We'd been working on it for so long and had so much invested that we didn't want to call it quits, so we just pushed through and the end result was a bad game. It was a really cool idea that I had, and we thought it would make a good game, but it turns out that the idea just doesn't translate well to the PC game medium. Let us consider this a lesson to any game developer who is afraid to can a project that is obviously not going to end up as a good game.

Also, to make it up to you, I'd like to announce we're working on a new Deus Ex and a new Thief."

Then he probably would have made it out relatively unscathed, as opposed to being so damn cocky about how awesome his game was.

But that would have been a lie because what really happened is he was too busy playing geek rock star to work on the damn game.

And TTLG got killed off because of it.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.