As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FriendCodes mean you can't sue Nintendo when a Halo-loving frat guy rapes a 15 yr old

JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
The title pretty much says it all: a guy drove across the country to stalk and threaten to rape a 15year old girl he met through voice chat on Halo 3. A choice excerpt from the article:
Spokane Police recently arrested a 20-year-old New York man who had traveled cross-country to stalk and harass a 15-year-old girl he met while playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live.

Joshua Stetar, the perpetrator, had apparently been sending flowers and gifts to the girl's home along with thousands of text messages before he decided the best course of action would be to drive 40 hours to Spokane to see the girl in person.

On arrival, Mr. Stetar began driving by the young girl's home, while sending text messages detailing his obsessive activities. When this wasn't enough to make everyone nearby feel like they needed to take a shower for a week, Mr. Stetar sent the girl a text message saying "Tell the cops that I'm gonna rape you and your sister."

In short: pedophiliac fuckheads and an overly litigious society combine to fuck over millions of sane gamers.

JihadJesus on

• Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Send him to the pit! (with snakes.)

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    So, why was she giving her telephone number, and home address out to a random guy she met while playing Halo?

Also, this will only fuel the "gamers are all closet sociopaths" argument.

Einhander on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fucking hell... What a sick bastard.

urahonky on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, a sick bastard.

What's her address again?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I can't wait for To Catch a Predator:Video Game Edition

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hi, my name is Adam Sessler, I'm with Dateline NBC.

Why don't you have a seat over there?

Einhander on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Alert the lawyers!

I mean, I hope not, but part of me fears that this could lead to some changes in the way console networks function down the road.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    She gave her address and phone number to a random internet stranger?

Obviously Halo's fault...

Edit: What Einhander said.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Both are idiots in this case.

MarkyX on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MarkyX wrote: »
    Both are idiots in this case.

Well, she's the idiot, he's mentally ill.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wait what do you mean "halo loving frat guy"? Why did you assume he's in a frat?

the articles and his myspace say nothing of the sort

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    wait what do you mean "halo loving frat guy"? Why did you assume he's in a frat?

Generalisations are fun.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Because you don't have to be an ambulance chasing lawyer or a clueless media figure to make grossly inaccurate generalizations about video gamers.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Well... He plays Halo.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

raping an underage girl sure sounds like a frat-guy sort of move

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope they remove his penis, and burn it to ashes. Fuck this son of a bitch into the earth, and I hope he burns in Hell. What a piece of shit scumbag.

And yes, I'm genuinely angered by this.

Also, the thread title is misleading a bit - he didn't actually rape her.

Henroid on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    So, why was she giving her telephone number, and home address out to a random guy she met while playing Halo?

There was a thread about this on something awful forums a few days back and another article mentioned she gave her info to him a few years ago but then realized he was creepy so she changed it all. He then went through and found all her stuff by googling her (this is all according to him) and that's how he ended up stalking her.

Give me a bit to find the full article.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    I hope they remove his penis, and burn it to ashes. Fuck this son of a bitch into the earth, and I hope he burns in Hell. What a piece of shit scumbag.

Whilst I agree in principal, research on rapists/likely potential rapists that have had their penis cut off shows that they are more likely to rape with a foreign object in future.

LewieP on
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Just to slightly nitpick, the dude found out her personal information by googling her. It doesn't appear that she gave this information to him willingly.

Then again, you gotta be pretty naive/stupid to make your personal information publicly available on the internets.

Here's a more complete report.

Edit: Based on what xWonderboyx says, it looks like she did. Tweenage stupidity ftw!

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Whilst I agree in principal, research on rapists/likely potential rapists that have had their penis cut off shows that they are more likely to rape with a foreign object in future.

I forgot to include locking them up forever and ever. Well, okay, that'd cost taxpayer money, blah blah. But I hope whatever community he moves into after he gets registered as a sex offender (which he should) has it in them to give him as hard a time as possible.

I'll be honest, I almost wrote out that I hope they lynch him. I hate scumbag rapists, and anyone stupid enough to threaten it is just as bad.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    From http://www.kndu.com/global/story.asp?s=7558508
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Friday night Spokane Police investigating a harassment complaint arrested a New York man who drove 40 hours straight to Spokane and threatened to rape two young girls.

Police investigation revelaed that the 15-year old Spokane girl met 20-year old Joshua R. Stetar of Saratoga Springs, New York, while playing an interactive X-Box 360 video game. The game called Halo features the ability to talk to players around the world using a headset.

Police say Stetar and the girl had been talking since 2006, and that several times he had sent packages and flowers to her home, items which her parents returned. The victim had also received several hungred text message on her cell phone in 2007, forcing the victim's mother to change her daughter's number. However, Stetar was able to get the new number from someone and the girl began receiving messages again.

Around 9:30 p.m. Friday night the suspect sent a text message to the victim saying he was driving by her house at that moment. In the message he even described his vehicle, a Gray Oldsmobile. The girl's parents were outside the home and in fact saw the car driving past.

At 9:36 p.m. the victim received another text message from the suspect saying, "Tell the cops that I'm gonna rape you and your sister."

The suspect had also mentioned that he was staying at a Days Inn in Spokane.

The girl's father called in a harassment call to police, who later learned the suspect was actually staying at the Econo Lodge at 120 W. 3rd Ave. Officers found the Oldsmobile Cutlass with New York license plates in the parking lot.

During a police interview the suspect admitted he was able to get much of the 15-year old victim's personal information such as her address and cellular telephone number by "Googling" her name on-line.

Stetar added that he flew to Spokane on October 23rd of this year and rented a U-Haul van to drive by the victim's house. It is unclear if the victim knew of this visit. The suspect also admitted to living in New York and driving 40-hours straight to get to Spokane.

Stetar was booked into the Spokane County Jail Friday on one felony count of Stalking. He was released Saturday.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hi, my name is Adam Sessler, I'm with Dateline NBC.

Why don't you have a seat over there?

No, that's OK.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    He was released?!

Okay, I'm gonna go cool off.

Henroid on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I realy hate to say this, but it has to be said by someone.
    Did he Teabag her?

Hmm, after further reading, I see he did not kill her. My bad.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heh, his myspace page is amusing to read. Especially the blog posts where commenters reply to his stuff (the usual fundie rhetoric on abortion and "the homosexual agenda") with "yet you stalk 15 year old girls and threaten to rape them."

SteevL on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This thing is so obviously made up.

There's no girls on the internet.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What an idiot. I say, death penalty!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Did he Teabag her?

"My bad"?! So your joke would've been okay if she was? NEWS FLASH. ITS NOT OKAY EITHER WAY.

And I lied about going away to cool off.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2008
    Did he Teabag her?

It really fucking doesn't need to be said by someone in fact. So shut up.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Did he Teabag her?

It really fucking doesn't need to be said by someone in fact. So shut up.

YEAH

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did he Teabag her?

"My bad"?! So your joke would've been okay if she was? NEWS FLASH. ITS NOT OKAY EITHER WAY.

And I lied about going away to cool off.

Well it's ok because it's just a joke. When all is said and done, no one is going to care about one little joke.
    That's all I will say on the topic.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't even know what to think about some of these reports sometimes. When I was 15 I was smart enough to not be giving out my name, my address, or talk to a stranger anywhere close to that extent online.

The guy's definitely a sleezeball, and I don't want to take anything away from that, but why would a 15 year old even do such a thing?

Black Ice on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Black Ice wrote: »
    I don't even know what to think about some of these reports sometimes. When I was 15 I was smart enough to not be giving out my name, my address, or talk to a stranger anywhere close to that extent online.

The guy's definitely a sleezeball, and I don't want to take anything away from that, but why would a 15 year old even do such a thing?

Well, how long ago where you 15? The internet is a very new thing. Or, it's new for us in our 20's (I'm giving a general minimum age range; stay with me here, the point is coming). We now have kids growing up with the internet being something that was always there for them. So they don't have that fear of something new. They don't exercise the caution necessary to use it safely.

Also, reckless and / or careless parents.

Edit - Include "irresponsible" in that description of parents.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Black Ice wrote: »
    I take it we're looking for an answer more sophisticated than 'because she's fifteen'? Seriously, statutory rape laws exist for a reason people - because there are very, very, VERY few fifteen year olds who aren't retarded in one way or another.

I'm not saying this was a proposed 'statutory' rape, but seriously, why do we question the judgement of a 15 year old girl? The question is the answer.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    SteveSSteveS Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    In short: pedophiliac fuckheads and an overly litigious society combine to fuck over millions of sane gamers.

Where does it say anything about litigation?

SteveS on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    SteveS wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Where does it say anything about litigation?

It was a playful jab. Many people have stated the opinion that friend codes exist so that Nintendo can shield itself from liability in incredibly rare instances like this, since you have to communicate through means outside of Nintendo to interact online - and even then there's no voice chat.

I'm not saying this girl or her parent will sue Microsoft, or that it wouldn't be an incredibly stupid action to take, but it IS conceivable in cases like this - and sadly probably no less stupid than at least a dozen lawsuits filed today that we'll never hear about. Hence the comment.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    SteveSSteveS Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I see. I was wondering if I had all the facts.

As bad as our legal system is, it is still one of the better ones, IMO. Tort reform has the effect of keeping out valid claims, along with some bad ones. Litigation and the average monetary award has been on the decline for the last few decades, but you won't hear much about this, as the media likes wacky lawsuits (the administrative judge and his 40 million dollar pants).

SteveS on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't understand how is he only being charged for stalking. shouldn't he also be charged for conspiracy?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    scootch wrote: »
    I don't understand how is he only being charged for stalking. shouldn't he also be charged for conspiracy?

I don't think "conspiracy to rape" would hold up too well... if it did, I'd be commiting a jailable offense every time I look at a picture of angelina jolie.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So why is Xbox Live even in the story? Other than talking and playing games thats all there is. Might as well also blame playing basketball at the park for some dude getting shot for not paying up his dues to the mob which he first met his contact on the b-ball court.

Buried for stupid sensationalist story that Jack Thompson like people will likely use for their video games are the devil.

Bottom line is the kid gave out her info willingly to a stranger and bad shit happened. Stop blaming outside factors for reasoning.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png