As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Console] Teeth gnashing continues, but hey, Ys I guess

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    powersurge wrote: »
    What I want to know is when we will see NES Tetris. I'd kill to have a Tetris game with the original NES music and simple colors/backgrounds.

Knowing the Tetris company, probably never since the original tetris game doesn't conform to the current "standard"

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The fact that we'll likely never see the Disney-licensed Capcom games of the late 80s and early 90s.

I need Goof Troop on VC sooner rather than later. Also the SNES Capcom version of Aladdin.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Until Nintendo releases another set of VC games next Monday, I though I might take advantage of this thread to ask a related question:

Apart from Bomberman '93, are there any other 5-player games (or even more players, if possible) available on the VC, right now? Are there any other consoles apart from the TG-16 / PC-Engine that supported more than 4 players on one console

Are there any other TG-16 / PCE games that supported 5 players that might conceivably be released on the VC?

I just had a huge blast every time I played 4- and 5-player Bomberman on my Wii (once I figured out how to get the GC controller to read as a 5th controller!) and I'd love to get a few more games.

The more, the merrier!

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey guys. I'm in need of some help. I'm hoping one of you may have run into this problem before.

Anyway, my problem is that all my SNES and Genesis games don't show up when I choose to play them. I'll select the game channel, click start, and then the screen just sits there black. Forever. Oh, the game is working though, cause you can hear the in-game music, and when I hit the Home button the game screen appears in the background. But as soon as you hit Home again to go back to the game, the screen reverts to blackness.

I figured maybe all my VC games were busted, but nope. My N64 games work without a hitch.

Anyone heard of this (and possibly a fix) before? Or am I going to have to call the big boys at Nintendo? :P This sucks so much. I just downloaded Super Metroid, DK2, and SF2 last night. What a time for this to happen. :(

Kris on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Delete and redownload?

LewieP on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I picked up Street Fighter 2. It is awesome.

Elendil on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm in need of some help. I'm hoping one of you may have run into this problem before.

Anyway, my problem is that all my SNES and Genesis games don't show up when I choose to play them. I'll select the game channel, click start, and then the screen just sits there black. Forever. Oh, the game is working though, cause you can hear the in-game music, and when I hit the Home button the game screen appears in the background. But as soon as you hit Home again to go back to the game, the screen reverts to blackness.

I figured maybe all my VC games were busted, but nope. My N64 games work without a hitch.

Anyone heard of this (and possibly a fix) before? Or am I going to have to call the big boys at Nintendo? :P This sucks so much. I just downloaded Super Metroid, DK2, and SF2 last night. What a time for this to happen. :(

What kind of TV are you using? That is typical of a newer TV that can't handle the low resolution video mode that the old games use. On the VC, TG-16 and N64 games do not use this mode.

If you're running the Wii in 480p, try changing it to 480i and see what happens.

mntorankusu on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    I picked up Street Fighter 2. It is awesome.

I refuse to play it. i had the first Street Fighter for the Amiga and it was rubbish. I highly doubt Street Fighter II is any better.

Actually, that was a joke. SF-II is the sex.

Squirminator2k on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What kind of TV are you using? That is typical of a newer TV that can't handle the low resolution video mode that the old games use. On the VC, TG-16 and N64 games do not use this mode.

If you're running the Wii in 480p, try changing it to 480i and see what happens.

I've got a year old 27" ViewSonic LCD. So I took your advice and went into my Wii's resolution settings, and discovered that it was already set on 480i. Just for the hell of it I set it to 480p and tried things out. Now everything works. I don't understand it, but I'm just happy I can play things now. :D Thanks for setting me on the path to success Mr. Mntorankusu.

Kris on
  • melatoninmelatonin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Only one game for Europe this week, but apparently it's a somewhat special one.

Harvest Moon (SNES)

Farm ON.

melatonin on
  • RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    melatonin wrote: »
    Only one game for Europe this week, but apparently it's a somewhat special one.

Harvest Moon (SNES)

Farm ON.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I don't have enough money to get anymore points. D:

RandomKit on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's awesome. The original HM is still worth playing.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really wish that Nintendo would release Majora's Mask some time soon.

Peewi on
    edited January 2008
    I don't, but then I have the Zelda Collectors Edition.

Squirminator2k on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not a release that I personally am after, but this is exactly the calibur of release we need to see more often.

Xagarath on
  • TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    9 times out of 10 now, when I try to access the store, the Wii menu with the spinning circular logo will pop up, like normal but then it will go to a blank white screen. I can hop back to the Wii menu, and nothing locks up. I can connect to the Internet and all the other online features of the Wii though, and my wireless connection is solid the entire time. The store just simply refuses to work well since the "gifting" update.

290something something error? I think it said I can not access remote server? Is this just due to high demand? The last time I connected, I got 5000 points, now I can't connect to the store to spend them. Just keep trying?

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • MoogPaulMoogPaul Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So according to people over at starmen.net, they say that the licensing and converting for Earthbound is complete. The only thing that needs to happen is the converting the manual over to electronic form. However, they also say that the VC division of nintendo is a completely unorganized mess. Like most of the stuff from over there, none of this is confirmed with sources or anything.

MoogPaul on
    moogpaul.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't, but then I have the Zelda Collectors Edition.
    A good VC version will be a hell of a lot better than the CE version. The latter is pretty buggy.

Elendil on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    With MM, MM2, and now Harvest Moon, Europe is offically kicking North America's ass in quality VC. The few titles we have that they don't are nowhere near that high caliber.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, Bubble Bobble has one of the best co-op I've ever seen in videogaming. You can play with casual gamers too, because the game has unlimited retries (as long as you're able to clear one stage per set of lives, you'll be ok).

Djiem on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why is there such a disparity as to what is released in NA, EU and JPN on the VC?

P.S. - That's a lot of acronyms.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
    edited January 2008
    Only two games this week

Neither are Harvest Moon.

They are Startropics and KoF '94 though.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Man, Bubble Bobble has one of the best co-op I've ever seen in videogaming.
    Indeed. It combines teamwork and competition almost flawlessly.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MoogPaulMoogPaul Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Only two games this week

startropics you say, eh?

MoogPaul on
    moogpaul.png
  • TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MoogPaul wrote: »
    Only two games this week

startropics you say, eh?

Didn't Startropics have some sort of secret code required in the manual? Dunk the Wii into water to get to the code for the next stage!

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Torgo wrote: »
    MoogPaul wrote: »
    Only two games this week

startropics you say, eh?

Didn't Startropics have some sort of secret code required in the manual? Dunk the Wii into water to get to the code for the next stage!

It's a Nintendo product. It'll be fine.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Only two games this week

:shock:

If you are lying I will kill you where you stand!

Stonecutter on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh shit. Bubble Bobble was released on there? I pretty much HAVE to get that now.

Jragghen on
    edited January 2008
    Only two games this week

Nope, the guy over at Neogaf who leaks on Friday didn't even play his normal guessing game, he just said KOF and Startropics.

The code should be in the digital manual, if not, it's only 3 digits and going through 1000 options should only take 20-40 minutes.

747 bitches

Xenogears of Bore on
  • StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Only two games this week

Nope, the guy over at Neogaf who leaks on Friday didn't even play his normal guessing game, he just said KOF and Startropics.

The code should be in the digital manual, if not, it's only 3 digits and going through 1000 options should only take 20-40 minutes.

747 bitches

I thought that guy leaked on Sundays.

Awesome though

Stonecutter on
    edited January 2008
    Only two games this week

747 bitches

I thought that guy leaked on Sundays.

Awesome though

Every Friday around seven. If I'm near the internet I usually try to get on and post 'em here. He has never ever been wrong.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've always kind of liked KoF in theory, though I've never played any of them. So, is this KoF '94 one of the good ones? Or should I wait until they get to the right year?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If SNK releases the KOFs sequentially, you'd be waiting pretty long for what is considered the next truly excellent game in the KOFs, which would be for most people, KOF '98.

I never much played KOF'94 and I'm curious to see how much the series has changed. Plus, it'll tide me over until we eventually (hopefully) get Super Street Fighter 2, and/or perhaps Sam Sho 2 or something

slash000 on
  • tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So how is starfox on the VC? I heard that the update ruined the framerate? Is it worth the 1000 points? iI love me some starfox64 but if the framerate is worse than the 64 version count me out. Also, aren't there moves that require two c buttons pressed at the same time? How's that work with the right stick?

tendoboy101 on
    edited January 2008
    So how is starfox on the VC? I heard that the update ruined the framerate? Is it worth the 1000 points? iI love me some starfox64 but if the framerate is worse than the 64 version count me out. Also, aren't there moves that require two c buttons pressed at the same time? How's that work with the right stick?

Well, the framerate issue is a funny one.

The original StarFox64 had intentional slowdown during boss explosions. The game developers intentionally had the framerate drop for dramatic effect. However, the game also had some areas in some levels where the framerate wasn't perfect.

With the initial Wii VC release of SF64, the game ran smooth throughout the entire game. Every level had a smooth framerate. But what happened was that the boss explosions also did not slow down, thus removing some of that dramatic effect.

The first patch 'fixed' this by adding back in the original game's framerate, thus the original boss explosions were restored. But it also restored the sometimes less-than-ideal framerates in some areas of some levels.

I'm not sure if there has been another patch for the game since then.

I personally have stuck to the original VC download, unpatched. I don't much care about the slowdown during boss explosions.

As far as the C buttons and what have you, I've never had a problem. You've got brake and boost on X and Y, and "Respond to messages" on the Zl and Zr buttons, and the only other function is changing camera angles which is not something you use very often.

When do you have to use multiple C buttons at once?

U turns and back flips or whatever are done with the face buttons, as are brakes and boost..

Overall, though, I love the VC version of this game and think it's fine and dandy. It's a 480p version of one of my favorite N64 games ever. You can't really go wrong with that!

slash000 on
  • tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Damn, I'm sure if I download it now I'll have the patched version. It's no worse than the n64 original though? If so I'll probably snag that and pokemon snap later.

Its been ages since I played and for some reason I thought multiple c buttons were required...my bad! Thanks for the info Slash.

tendoboy101 on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    To those who own the Wii: Does Virtual Console have Rainbow Islands yet?

Tell meeee.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2008
    Damn, I'm sure if I download it now I'll have the patched version. It's no worse than the n64 original though? If so I'll probably snag that and pokemon snap later.

Its been ages since I played and for some reason I thought multiple c buttons were required...my bad! Thanks for the info Slash.

No problem.

To those who own the Wii: Does Virtual Console have Rainbow Islands yet?

Tell meeee.

Nope.

What's that game?

slash000 on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The best NES game ever, that's what.

...That's an exaggeration, but Jesus, seriously, one of my favorite NES games.

You fought enemies. With rainbows. It's more awesome than it sounds.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2008
    Ohhh. I know what you're talking about now. They made a DS version of that game. I have no idea if it turned out good or not.

slash000 on
This discussion has been closed.