As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

online game to play with my girlfriend

NinjaPirate720NinjaPirate720 Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend and i are in a long-distance relationship, she is NOT an avid gamer at all. She IS however, very into the sims. I was thinking the Sims Online, but that is maybe a too expensive because of the monthly charge. She is willing to try other types of games, even the free web-based ones.

Again, she isnt an avid "gamer" (hence the addiction to something easy and mainstream).

Also, another problem, i only have a mac :/

Does anyone have any easy internet games that are sim-like that my girlfriend and i can have fun with together while we are apart?

Thanks in advance for your help, ask any questions you want.

NinjaPirate720 on

• Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Maybe Second Life?

fforde on
  • Options
    HazzelhoffHazzelhoff Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    world of warcraft is what you're looking for.

hmmm... that was so obvious that I think you might be a troll and I've been duped. DUPED I SAY!

Hazzelhoff on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    might be a little too open-ended. like i said, shes not a gamer. something a bit more simple, especially not involving real money like second life

NinjaPirate720 on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you can get pass the Furry thing, Furcadia is a highly social "game", it's very sims like in that you can build "dreams" which can be really anything (a house, to a movie theatre, to even containing a game you make yourself)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yea... i think thats a bit too fantasy. not really into the science fiction or fantasy genre

NinjaPirate720 on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yea... i think thats a bit too fantasy. not really into the science fiction or fantasy genre

Meh, alot of people just ignore the furry part of it, and act just as humans or whatever... It's completely free, so you might as well check it out and see if its any good... I mean, the area you're looking for is a very very small market.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    AntigoneAntigone Registered User new member
    edited November 2006
    I suggest Yahoo Graffitti. It's like pictionary online. No money involved, not gamer-y at all, but lots of fun.

Antigone on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    WoW is great because even people who haven't played a single game in their entire life can get into it. I would say give it a try.

ege02 on
  • Options
    HazzelhoffHazzelhoff Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WoW really is what you need. But a real friend wouldn't release that monster upon anyone they like.

Hazzelhoff on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I distinctly remember having some fun with Puzzle Pirates, but it might not be terribly easy to link up with her and play cooperatively. I don't remember.

piL on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    For the love of god don't get her playing WoW... It is a horrible time sink and will devour her life and possibly yours.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I played FFXI and WoW with my girlfriend when we were apart. Honestly, the worst part about it was when she would outlevel me so we couldn't play together. Pfft.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    might be a little too open-ended. like i said, shes not a gamer. something a bit more simple, especially not involving real money like second life

Second Life requires no money. Sure you can spend money if you want, but for the most part, everyhitng you could want to do is free, or is cheap enough that you can do it with the allowance that you get from SL for playing. You two might enjoy it. You can go and hang out in dance bars and have virtual dates, or go and checkout all the other oddball stuff there is there. you could also be corny and make her items in the sandbox area.

stigweard on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    fforde wrote:

Wow no, ignore that.

Second Life is DEEP, and she probably would be turned off by that alone.

City of Heroes is a very "designed for everyone" game that anyone could pick up. I got my mother to play it, and she is now hooked onto it like crack... since the weeek it came out... and she hadn't played a video game since Mario on the SNES.

Except for the fact that its excruciatingly repetitive, being able to reliably play with other people enhances the gameplay experience threefold at least.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    fforde wrote:
    Maybe Second Life?

Too deep, too wierd, too pointless and on top of that the game is also on its decline. Not for someone who doesn't play games.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gunbound. I'm not entirely sure it'll run on a Mac, though.

... Starcraft?

There's always iSketch.

Zodiac Brave on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jasconius wrote:
    City of Heroes is a very "designed for everyone" game that anyone could pick up.

Got to agree with CoH. It's about the most casual gamer friendly MMOG I've ever played. There's basically no loot, very few things that require more than about a half hour of commitment (and those are all optional), and has a wonderful system for allowing people of widely different levels to play together. She'll probably get a big kick out of the costume creator too (most people do).

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Step 1: Get a Vent server, voice communication is oh so great.
    Step 2: Set up a Hamachi Server.
    Step 3: Play whatever the hell you want over your own private VPN.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    endlesswaltzendlesswaltz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have to agree with CoH/CoV suggestion.

It's the only MMORPG I've really played and I have been for the last two years.

It's really really awesome.

(There's even an unofficial Penny Arcade group on Virtue server...)

endlesswaltz on
  • Options
    mtomczakmtomczak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'd start small. There are a host of multiplayer online card- and boardgames available, either as a standalone program or via some website's service. Hook yourself up with one of those and play some poker, some blackjack, maybe some backgammon. She may also be interested in Diablo II; it's old, I know, but they made a suprisingly decent and easy-to-understand social game when they cobbled that puppy together.

Also, invest in a webcam and Skype (or equivalent) account, if you both have personal space that you could play in. If she has a Mac as well, you could use iChat. It's still not as good as face-to-face play, but it's as close as you can get on a reasonable consumer budget. Even lacking the camera, you probably want the voice-chat; for long-distance relationships, voice is important.

I keep in touch with some old college buddies via XBox Live. We hooked ourselves up with their little camera gizmo, and the built-in voicechat seals the deal. These are not bad times, the times we live in.

Best of luck!

mtomczak on
    <Spurious Interrupt- Breach Disabled>
    <Further Access Denied>
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    CoH / CoV is out, there's not a mac version. I'd say go with pictionary / iSketch. Go into a room full of people and cheat by telling her the answers via chat or video chat. My gf loved it. Even if you don't have a cam you can still voice chat with microphones.

freek on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Add my vote to puzzle pirates.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.