As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Secret Santa 07: Easter Bunnies Apply Here

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I floated the idea of asking my Mum to make some more of those ICO or indeed other paintings, and she is really interested. She is going to look into cheaper ways of shipping them internationally, because if materials + shipping is around £50, then it would be pretty damn expensive.

Also, she saw me playing Shadow of the Colossus the other day, and I showed her the artwork. She expressed interest in painting something from that.

I am currently in Liverpool. It would be cheaper for me to MEET you and give you money and/or gifts in return.

I would be incredibly interested in this kind of thing.

Yeah, for UK folk, I am pretty sure she would definately be interested in doing this, but I don't want to make any promises until she says so for sure.

When she has decided, I will ask everyone who is interested to email me to register interest.

LewieP on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I bet there is enough interest that we can get a shipping container on a large ocean going vessel.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh yeah, I floated the idea of asking my Mum to make some more of those ICO or indeed other paintings, and she is really interested. She is going to look into cheaper ways of shipping them internationally, because if materials + shipping is around £50, then it would be pretty damn expensive.

Also, she saw me playing Shadow of the Colossus the other day, and I showed her the artwork. She expressed interest in painting something from that.
    !!!!!!!

The weighted companion cube, that is all kinds of brilliance. Like sheer, and utter.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Holy shit Rook, awesome handwriting.

SirUltimos on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rook teach us your secrets!

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ross Mills wrote: »

I am currently in Liverpool. It would be cheaper for me to MEET you and give you money and/or gifts in return.

I would be incredibly interested in this kind of thing.

Yeah, for UK folk, I am pretty sure she would definately be interested in doing this, but I don't want to make any promises until she says so for sure.

When she has decided, I will ask everyone who is interested to email me to register interest.
    I would also be among those decidedly interested

Xagarath on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey dudes, uh sorry again for disappearing... again. For like two more weeks. This has been a very strange month for me.

Anyway, I'm here and I'm ready to resolve any problems. If you haven't yet received a gift, PM me to let me know. I may already have evidence that your gift is belatedly on its way to you, and I can set your mind at ease.

Hopefully I can post some pics of what I received for G&T Secret Santa later today!

Captain K on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rook, wow -- truly an inspiration for next year! Also, how/why did you learn to write like that? I love it, and am curious where you got the style from and how you learned. It reminds me of when my ex wanted to learn Spencerian handwriting, which is also cool.

gilrain on
    edited January 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Hey dudes, uh sorry again for disappearing... again. For like two more weeks. This has been a very strange month for me.

Anyway, I'm here and I'm ready to resolve any problems. If you haven't yet received a gift, PM me to let me know. I may already have evidence that your gift is belatedly on its way to you, and I can set your mind at ease.

Hopefully I can post some pics of what I received for G&T Secret Santa later today!

did you sort the issue I pm'd you about? I assume so since it aparently got resolved despite my ineptitude.

LewieP on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    IMG_0134.jpg

I'm interested to know if you have listened to that yet and if you liked it.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • RMH03RMH03 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I recieved a parcel full of goodies today, pics will follow at some point tomorow hopefully. Just thought i'd post to let my santa know the goods arrived and were all awesome

RMH03 on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, this looks like it was a lot of fun. I didn't join in because I wasn't a member for the last one and didn't know how it all worked.

I think this thread is a better example of good spirit than almost anything else I have heard this season.

Pemulis on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Caedere wrote: »
    Wooo! Loots have arrived. Unfortunately, I currently lack a camera to take snapshots, but what I received was the following:

- A copy of Dragonology. A very awesome book that I sadly did not own before. I'd almost impulse-bought it a few times, so now I don't have to. Sweet!

-A dragon-shaped puzzle with dragons. Woooo - I love puzzles and it'll give me something productive to work on at work when I'm not working at work. :O

-The complete collection of Bone. A very classic comic series that I'd always been meaning to get into... now I have no excuse to not read it! The book will be a very enjoyable read, when I'm not using its hefty weight to club passersby, of course. :wink:
    Ha ha! I have succeeded in getting my Santees all stuff they don't already have. This puts my mind at ease. I am glad they please.

Like I said, I want photos of that dragon puzzle when it's done!

bombardier on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Normally I hate seeing Christmas ads during January but ever since I sent off my package this year I just want to get started on next years Secret Santa. I will have an increased budget so I'm going to try and top what I've already done!

This is the true representation of Christmas spirit in my eyes.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Picked up the gift from my santa today. Awesome awesome awesome stuff! Pump action makes me smile. :D

Pics to follow later.

Polago on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    Picked up the gift from my santa today. Awesome awesome awesome stuff! Pump action makes me smile. :D

Pics to follow later.

So he bought you a shotgun?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited January 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

Pics to follow later.
    Out of all the zombie-themed gifts, this year, that would probably be the most practical. Just a shotgun and a small note in the box: "Zombies coming up the hell right now. Shoot them in the head. Shoot them in the head."

gilrain on
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hewn wrote: »
    I have returned from time with the family to find my Secret Santa gift awaiting me!

Let me just say, Doc Holiday has crafted a gift of wonderful magnitude. I will be sure to post pictures of my loot, which is by my estimation, substantial.

Thank you so much! All of it is fantastic and thoughtful. Another post to come.

Post pictures, man! Did you already have the stuff I gave you? Have you used the stickers to create wonderful creatures? I must know these things!

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

Pics to follow later.
    Out of all the zombie-themed gifts, this year, that would probably be the most practical. Just a shotgun and a small note in the box: "Zombies coming up the hell right now. Shoot them in the head. Shoot them in the head."

Oh God... That's my favorite video on Youtube. "What are you pressing select for?! You don't have time to setup a profile!"

urahonky on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How awesome is Rook?

So awesome.

NotASenator on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    Wooo! Loots have arrived. Unfortunately, I currently lack a camera to take snapshots, but what I received was the following:

- A copy of Dragonology. A very awesome book that I sadly did not own before. I'd almost impulse-bought it a few times, so now I don't have to. Sweet!

-A dragon-shaped puzzle with dragons. Woooo - I love puzzles and it'll give me something productive to work on at work when I'm not working at work. :O

-The complete collection of Bone. A very classic comic series that I'd always been meaning to get into... now I have no excuse to not read it! The book will be a very enjoyable read, when I'm not using its hefty weight to club passersby, of course. :wink:
    Ha ha! I have succeeded in getting my Santees all stuff they don't already have. This puts my mind at ease. I am glad they please.

Like I said, I want photos of that dragon puzzle when it's done!
    I officially hate you. :(

I can't stop reading Bone and as a result I only got like 4 hours of sleep last night. It's very, VERY good stuff.

Thanks again. :wink:

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    area wrote: »
    I really thought the chest that played the Zelda 'item obtained' music was going to be the best box this year, but then Weighted Companion Cube comes along. Good show, people.

I was so close! :(

Ah well, now I know how all the other games felt when Portal came out...

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
    edited January 2008
    Mr Heist wrote: »
    area wrote: »
    I really thought the chest that played the Zelda 'item obtained' music was going to be the best box this year, but then Weighted Companion Cube comes along. Good show, people.
    I was so close! :(

Ah well, now I know how all the other games felt when Portal came out...
    Your faithful weighted companion cube provides silent comfort in this, your time of despondence. Please remember that your companion cube cannot offer verbal comfort and, should it begin, test subjects are advised to ignore its ministrations.

gilrain on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My apologies for this being so late, but here was LewieP's gift for Tycho. It is totally sweet and is hanging in front of their office.

2155766531_98bfedfa8c.jpg

2155767325_9775fd2e7c.jpg

Man it is so rad.

Hi Robert,

Wow, I'm so thrilled that Tycho likes my picture, and about the things other people have said about it. It makes me really happy and shocked and humble that you all like what I've done, it was fun to do, cos it was a pretty picture anyway.

If I can find a reasonably priced way of sending stuff to people, I'd happily do so. It took about 10 hours to paint ICO (Lewie just told me it was all caps - I'd written Ico)(n0013!!!), and I'm a bit busy right now, but could probably do 1 a month I think. I'd only paint pretty pictures though, not nasty ones like from Call of Duty or Resident Evil (any number).

The canvas and paints will cost around £10/$20 per picture for one the same size as Tycho's, a bit less for smaller, I have no idea about postage/shipping costs, Tycho's was £40/$80, but that was because I mega wrapped it, and it was to Seattle from UK. Within UK I'd hope it would be less, or people could pick them up from Manchester if they wanted to.

I have no idea what I should charge for doing the paintings, I like lilies, 70% bitter chocolate, or you could buy stuff from oxfam unwrapped, cos other than chocolate and flowers, I don't really need stuff, and I enjoy painting and feel really valued by you, and other people need stuff more than I do (see oxfam unwrapped), so I'd only need my costs (materials and postage) meeting.

If you would like a painting done by me, please email me at shirley.procter@gmail.com, with details of what you'd like me to paint (if its not ICO), with a picture of it (or link) and where you live so I could work out postage costs for you.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited January 2008
    I hope you guys are happy.

My tales of widespread appreciation of my Mum's painting lead her to register on the forums.

No rude jokes for me now.

This is Oxfam unwrapped.

I think the paintings will be done pretty much on a first come first served basis (maybe UK folks prioritised at first, just because shipping will obviously be cheaper), so get those emails off quick.

LewieP on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    :^: :^: :^: :^: :^:

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited January 2008
    Wow, Mrs. LewieP, that's an awesome offer -- but I really think you should charge something for them! I suppose it may be awkward to discuss prices, but I encourage you to do so -- otherwise, you'll probably get a few thousand requests and become overwhelmed.

To just throw out a number, I think anywhere between $100 and $400 USD would be fair, depending on how many people you want in the queue. At $100, I think you'd get a ton of takers. At $400, maybe just a few.

I'll probably send an email your way, myself. I just need to think of what game art would be best in my apartment...

gilrain on
  • HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What is it with Lewie and his family taking my money? I concur with the $100/£50 idea. If only because I'm skint.

Hazz on
    edited January 2008
    OK, don't really know how to phrase this ... if you've lots of money, buy stuff off oxfam unwrapped, if you've not, I'll paint anyway. We used to be very poor, and now we're not - we have money left at the end of every month, therefore, by my reckoning, we're rich, we don't need more, I'd only buy more chocolate then waste it by going to weight watchers or some such!!

Yes, I think I'll need to filter requests though, maybe I'll do the prettiest ones first, and leave boring ones til later??! And maybe by location as well, so UK first, although I nearly came to Seattle last year with my job, perhaps I'll work on a US trip again.

LewieP's Mummy on

• HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    (I was just kidding about the money thing)

How about a Child's Play donation? Keeping it relevant, and all? Saying that, there is some awfully cool stuff on Oxfam Unwrapped.

Hazz on
    edited January 2008
    Anyhow, I'm off to bed - small children to play with far too early in the morning to be on line now, lets see how things progress over the next couple of days.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited January 2008
    OK, don't really know how to phrase this ... if you've lots of money, buy stuff off oxfam unwrapped, if you've not, I'll paint anyway. We used to be very poor, and now we're not - we have money left at the end of every month, therefore, by my reckoning, we're rich, we don't need more, I'd only buy more chocolate then waste it by going to weight watchers or some such!!

Yes, I think I'll need to filter requests though, maybe I'll do the prettiest ones first, and leave boring ones til later??! And maybe by location as well, so UK first, although I nearly came to Seattle last year with my job, perhaps I'll work on a US trip again.
    Well, that's very generous of you! You can count on this community taking that in the spirit it's offered and making sure your charity gets some nice donations. Also, maybe have LewieP explain Child's Play to you, and see if you'd accept that, as well. :)

gilrain on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    also Mrs P let me scan my artbook from shadow of the colossus for you, because I can see some Folks wanting pictures and at worst its a nice picture book and at best a great reference (also it cost a shitload to get from japan so i'd like to get some mileage out of it).

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is bizzare.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Penny Arcade G&T Forums: The finest front for the illegal internet art market.
    That said, those are awesome pictures.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    while a child's play donation *is* nice .. that doesn't help her off set the cost of materials and shipping. Which according to her post.. can be large.

Maybe focus on companion cube boxes :)

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Basticle wrote: »
    IMG_0134.jpg

I'm interested to know if you have listened to that yet and if you liked it.

I am listening right now.

V Good. I am laughing muchly.

Edit: All finished, solid gold throughout (maybe could do without the song at the end...) Like I said it's really great to have enjoyed something I would never have ever been aware of without the international joy that is Secret Santa.

Rest easy my Santa, you did real good.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is flippin fantastic. Great Artwork, LewieP's Mom. It's honestly awesome.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for all the kind comments, it's been a great secret santa this year. Sorry I've really not had any PC access in the last couple of weeks, my only updates is having seen the film, the book is about 100000x better, and that the box looked better before I covered it in sellotape.

As for the writing, I think it's part Desire from sandman, and part completely over the top scrawl. It used to be much worse.

/ugh still seasick

Rook on
  • Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Thanks for all the kind comments, it's been a great secret santa this year. Sorry I've really not had any PC access in the last couple of weeks, my only updates is having seen the film, the book is about 100000x better, and that the box looked better before I covered it in sellotape.

As for the writing, I think it's part Desire from sandman, and part completely over the top scrawl. It used to be much worse.

/ugh still seasick

Would you have an issue if I stole the use of my fantastic companion cube (currently sitting behind me, watching me type) for a cosplay costume? ^_^

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png