As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 backwards compat clear up

GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what?Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
Okay, please, no flames in this thread. A friend of mine wants to get a PS3, and I'm sort of the techno-geek among my group, but I don't know the exact answer to his question as I don't own a PS3:

Which SKU's have backwards compat, and which ones don't? I thought the 20 and 60 (or was it 80?) had the Emotion Chip, but that later SKU's not only removed the chip, but software emulation as well. Is that the case? To get backwards compat do you have to get one of the older SKU's? He isn't so much worried about the Emotion Chip, he just wants to consolidate down his entertainment area and remove the PS2. If he were to go pick up one of the new 399 SKU's, would it have any backwards compat at all?

Sagroth wrote: »
Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
GnomeTank on

• khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The 20GB and the 60B NTSC versions have the EE chip, the 60GB PAL and hte 80GB NTSC have software emulation and the 40GB for both NTSC and PAL has no backwards compatability

khain on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    20 and 60 had full, 80 had partial, new $399 model(40 gig? hell I can't remember) has zero BC.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Okay, please, no flames in this thread. A friend of mine wants to get a PS3, and I'm sort of the techno-geek among my group, but I don't know the exact answer to his question as I don't own a PS3:

Which SKU's have backwards compat, and which ones don't? I thought the 20 and 60 (or was it 80?) had the Emotion Chip, but that later SKU's not only removed the chip, but software emulation as well. Is that the case? To get backwards compat do you have to get one of the older SKU's? He isn't so much worried about the Emotion Chip, he just wants to consolidate down his entertainment area and remove the PS2. If he were to go pick up one of the new 399 SKU's, would it have any backwards compat at all?

the 20 gb and the older 60 gb's had hardware BC, i.e. The emotion chip.

Newer 60 gb and 80 gb models have software BC, similar to the 360's BC. I believe the compatibility is pretty high, however.

40 gb models do not have any BC.

60 gb models have been phased out. You probably can't find a 60 gb model anymore, but if you can and you're in the US, it'll have hardware BC.

for the record - 80 gb models are $499.99, as are 60 gb models. 40 gb models, which lack BC, are $399.99.

TheSonicRetard on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Alright, is it also true that update 1.4 disables the Emotion Chip and forces software emulation even if you do have it? If so, there doesn't seem to be much of a point in eBaying an older SKU.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited January 2008
    Alright, is it also true that update 1.4 disables the Emotion Chip and forces software emulation even if you do have it? If so, there doesn't seem to be much of a point in eBaying an older SKU.

I've never heard of this, but I guess I can't confirm that it does not.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2008

Alright, I am not sure how true it is. I just happened to pick it up from some random forum comment in my Google search, but we all know how reliable those are.

We are going to see if we can find him a used 60GB around here, as that seems to be the "sweet spot" for what he wants.

GnomeTank on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I can confirm that this is ridiculous conjecture. I have a 60GB and I don't have the compatibility problems of the 80, and I've got the latest updates.

Also, the compatibility on the 80 Gig is pretty decent. You can search a database of all the old games and find out answers about compatibility at the following link:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

It lets you search for the specific model you want to play the game on.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited January 2008
    Alright, thanks for the help guys. We found a used 60GB at GameStop here, so I think we are gonna go that route. It's 30 bucks more expensive than a brand new 40, but it gets him the Emotion Chip, so that keeps him happy. Thanks for the tips.

GnomeTank on
    edited January 2008
    Alright, thanks for the help guys. We found a used 60GB at GameStop here, so I think we are gonna go that route. It's 30 bucks more expensive than a brand new 40, but it gets him the Emotion Chip, so that keeps him happy. Thanks for the tips.

force him to buy CoD4 and Warhawk, by the by.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    First off, I should point out that all PS3's are compatible with PS1 games, the only issue is with the PS2 backwards compatibility.

So, this is the PS2 compatibility with Jap/US PS3's:
    20GB/60GB: 100% backwards compatible
    80GB: 80% backwards compatible
    40GB: 0% backwards compatible

And PAL PS3's are a little different:
    60GB: 80% backwards compatible

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

and uncharted and ratchet and clank.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2008

We both have CoD4 for the PC ;) But I'll remind him about Warhawk.

GnomeTank on
    edited January 2008
    ToyD wrote: »

and uncharted and ratchet and clank.

I'm only interested in other PS3 people getting online games. Although Uncharted and R&C are good choices.

Oh, pick up UT3 as well.

TheSonicRetard on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dont forget Heavenly Sword.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    First off, I should point out that all PS3's are compatible with PS1 games, the only issue is with the PS2 backwards compatibility.

The partial software emulated EU 60gig & US 80gig have better than 80% BC. It's in the 90% range actually. Sony has been working on it with each firmware update.

What's holding Sony up is getting the GS emulation working on the cell, at least that's what I read in a report somewhere.

Dark Shroud on
    edited January 2008
    Alright, 60 GB bought, and UT3 picked up. I just sent my wife to Wal-mart to buy an HDMI cable because I forgot Sony was on the cheap like that and didn't ship the PS3 with HD capable cables, and I have no standard inputs easily used on my TV.

System is going to be at my house for tonight while we update it and play it on the big TV (I have the schweet 1080p TV :P). Maybe we'll catch some of you on UT3 later.

GnomeTank on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

The partial software emulated EU 60gig & US 80gig have better than 80% BC. It's in the 90% range actually. Sony has been working on it with each firmware update.

What's holding Sony up is getting the GS emulation working on the cell, at least that's what I read in a report somewhere.

Question: does this mean 90% of PS2 games work as good as they did on PS2, or that 90% of games work OK if you are prepared to put up with inconsistant framerates and skip all the cutscenes?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So umm....another BC compatibility question. Does the Rez "therapeutic massager" still work? I was thinking it might because its USB. I've got the 20 gig model.

link at play asia
    PA.03515.005.jpg

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is why I'm glad I was able to find a brand new 60 GB PS3 at Fred Meyer the other day. :) Gotta have my backwards compatibility.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The 40 gig US model lacks backwards compatibility completely, and only the original NA models feature full hardware BC, if I remember correctly. In related news, I got a flier from GameStop promoting a trade in bonus if you put your old PS2 towards a brand shiny new PS3, including the 40 gig.

That's just fucking evil.

JihadJesus on
  • JeffyJeffy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BC isn't a huge deal to me though I have the 20 gig. I mean it was definitely a factor, but mostly cause I didn't want to plug another power cord into my already power stripped down house. Plus the BC and upscaling of PS2 games is really fucking nice. I mean damn the games look amazing upscaled. I couldn't imagine having a 40 gig now.

Jeffy on
  • estrada42estrada42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can someone clear up something for me. I've been trying to get a straight answer on this for a while searching here and other forums. If the 80gb model uses SOFTWARE based emulation, why can't the SOFTWARE be transfered to a 40gb model? Sure it's not fully compatible emulation, but if you had a 40gb lying around and wanted to play a PS2 game, it'd be nice in a pinch.

estrada42 on
  • JeffyJeffy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Graphics Synthesizer GPU allows for software emulation which is currently equipped on the 80 gig, but not the 40, thus it can't be BC at all.

Jeffy on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    estrada42 wrote: »
    Can someone clear up something for me. I've been trying to get a straight answer on this for a while searching here and other forums. If the 80gb model uses SOFTWARE based emulation, why can't the SOFTWARE be transfered to a 40gb model? Sure it's not fully compatible emulation, but if you had a 40gb lying around and wanted to play a PS2 game, it'd be nice in a pinch.

I'd assume that it's a licensing issue. they probably have to license the emulation somehow, either to the maker of the PS2 GPU or something like that. I know MS has to pay NVIDIA a fee for Xbox 360 BC because OXbox used an nvidia chip while the 360 uses ATI and they have to emulate the nvidia chipset.

If you don't have to pay license fees, you can bring down the cost of the console.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Jeffy wrote: »
    The Graphics Synthesizer GPU allows for software emulation which is currently equipped on the 80 gig, but not the 40, thus it can't be BC at all.

No, they disabled it just because they could. I am not kidding.

FyreWulff on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

They also stole candy from a baby and laughed at a funeral for a soldier killed in Iraq.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • estrada42estrada42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

So can it be enabled? If it's there and just disabled, why couldn't it just be enabled?

estrada42 on
    edited January 2008

:| Stop being pedantic, it doesn't actually matter. I know full well that they've been updating it, the problem is that thanks to SCEE not updating their site, I have no god-damn idea what games do or don't work on my system.

The problem isn't getting the Graphics Synthesizer emulation working on the Cell, it's creating it. If they get it running, porting it to the Cell will be a breeze, just look at the PS1 emulation, they've had it running on the slimline PS2 and later ported to the PSP and PS3.

CarolinaBBQ: No clue, it should since the other PS2 USB accessories (like the Eyetoy and Singstar mics) work on it.

Edit:
    FyreWulff: Wrong. There was a Neogaf thread that compared the 80GB and 40GB chips and the GS was noticeably missing from the 40GB one.

estrada42: The 80GB doesn't have 100% software emulation, the Emotion Engine chip is emulated but the Graphics Synthesizer chip is still in there. Basically, it's a hybrid of 50% software emulation and 50% hardware.

Whereas the 40GB doesn't have either of the chips, and since the GS emulation isn't at a stage where Sony can release it, they just decided to go without PS2 compatibility. There's a chance Sony might include it in a future firmware update but at this point, they've said they've got no plans to do so.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited January 2008
    Well, the 60GB seems to be running great. Every PS2 game we tried ran great with the 2.10 system update.

UT3 seems to be running great. Though, I have a question: Does the PS3 normally run hotter than the 360? I was under the impression it ran cooler, but maybe that was just hear say. It seems to run pretty warm.

In any case, I may have to pick myself up one soon, UT3 is good fun.

GnomeTank on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, the 60GB seems to be running great. Every PS2 game we tried ran great with the 2.10 system update.

UT3 seems to be running great. Though, I have a question: Does the PS3 normally run hotter than the 360? I was under the impression it ran cooler, but maybe that was just hear say. It seems to run pretty warm.

It runs pretty hot, but much much quieter than the 360. Just make sure you give it adequate venting space and you'll be fine. And yeah, UT3 is a blast.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited January 2008
    plufim wrote: »
    Question: does this mean 90% of PS2 games work as good as they did on PS2, or that 90% of games work OK if you are prepared to put up with inconsistant framerates and skip all the cutscenes?

It's actually around 95ish percent. And yes that means the amount that worked like they did on the PS2. If you find a problem you report it to Sony and hope it's a big enough problem (others report it as well) to get fixed by the next update.
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    The 40 gig US model lacks backwards compatibility completely.
    The 40gig DOES have PS1 support because the PS1 is fully emulated via software. It's believed that Sony will install PS2 software emulation into the 40gig PS3 when they finish it. And the 40gigs are the same around the world hardware wise, the EU 40gig is PAL instead of NTSC. Its seems to be a global standard budget model, and I support that.

Dark Shroud on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

It's actually around 95ish percent. And yes that means the amount that worked like they did on the PS2. If you find a problem you report it to Sony and hope it's a big enough problem (others report it as well) to get fixed by the next update.

That's good to hear. I played a very early version, and what classified as "working" back then was... well, horseshit.
    It's believed that Sony will install PS2 software emulation into the 40gig PS3 when they finish it.

Got a source on that? Everything I read has been to the contrary. Hell, they talked about buying a budget PS2 as the solution if you bought the 40GB. Wouldn't that imply they have no plans to do this?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    brynstar wrote: »

It runs pretty hot, but much much quieter than the 360. Just make sure you give it adequate venting space and you'll be fine. And yeah, UT3 is a blast.

I dunno about that, i have a newer 360 and a 40 gig ps3, and while the ps3 is quieter while just idling, its disk drive is very noticeably louder than the 360's fans and disk drive combined. And some games seem to keep the ps3's drive constantly moving which makes it louder than my 360 gets during gameplay.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited January 2008
    brynstar wrote: »

I dunno about that, i have a newer 360 and a 40 gig ps3, and while the ps3 is quieter while just idling, its disk drive is very noticeably louder than the 360's fans and disk drive combined. And some games seem to keep the ps3's drive constantly moving which makes it louder than my 360 gets during gameplay.

I got a falcon model 360 with the newest DVD drive and an 80 gb, and even when games access my HDD constantly on my PS3 (like heavenly sword does) it's still leagues quieter than my 360.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2008
    It's believed that Sony will install PS2 software emulation into the 40gig PS3 when they finish it.

Got a source on that? Everything I read has been to the contrary. Hell, they talked about buying a budget PS2 as the solution if you bought the 40GB. Wouldn't that imply they have no plans to do this?

I said believed, you could also substitute hope or even pray to God. That's what we the fans think/hope because it makes sense. So in short its not confirmed at all. Its just hoped for because of what can then follow up. The PS2 emulation will make it's way to the PSP series and also could be used in the remote play the way PS1 & some PS3 games can be streamed to the PSP.

Sony does things in the long term that do not make sense until they're done. It's like that patent that was discovered with a Playstation controller hooking on the the PSP. No one knew why and then in the last set of PS3 & PSP firmware updates allow us to stream PS1 games to the PSP. So logic would dictate that PSP2 would have a button layout and tilt controls like the Duel Shock 3. This is all guess work but it makes sense and is super cool.

Dark Shroud on
    edited January 2008

:| Did you not read my previous post? They do NOT run 95% of the PS2 library perfectly, that's complete horseshit. Most games do indeed run fine but there's still a lot of other games that run pretty poorly, including the entire Ratchet series.
    The 40gig DOES have PS1 support because the PS1 is fully emulated via software. It's believed that Sony will install PS2 software emulation into the 40gig PS3 when they finish it. And the 40gigs are the same around the world hardware wise, the EU 40gig is PAL instead of NTSC. Its seems to be a global standard budget model, and I support that.

At this point in time, Sony has stated they have no plans to include PS2 emulation in 40GB PS3's. Whether they're telling the truth or just covering themselves while quietly working away on it, we don't know. At this point, there's no point even speculating about it.

Oh and you're wrong about the 40GB's being the same around the world. The white 40GB PS3's available in Japan are actually quite different internally from the standard 40GB model. Not that it's new or anything, Sony tends to make a lot of small hardware revisions throughout their systems lifetimes, the PS2 went through over 15.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited January 2008
    Unco, didn't you just comment to me about being pedantic. Anyway the white PS3 is Japan only right now. The black one is pretty much the same world wide. I don't know about the white PS3 but before reading up I guess that it has a smaller RSX chip.

Sony has been working on the PS2 backwards compatibilty and it's working quite well, I know a few people with the 80 and they don't have complaints.

If you read in my above post I say that Sony has never confirmed that; and I never said they will, just that myself and most fans hope they do. I think you are reading too much into what I say.

Anyway I have a launch US 60gig. If anyone has a US 80gig or EU 60gig here is one search link:

I would look for EU users, but I have no idea how to use your site I just went to it for the first time.

Dark Shroud on
    edited January 2008
    Unco, didn't you just comment to me about being pedantic. Anyway the white PS3 is Japan only right now. The black one is pretty much the same world wide. I don't know about the white PS3 but before reading up I guess that it has a smaller RSX chip.

Sony has been working on the PS2 backwards compatibilty and it's working quite well, I know a few people with the 80 and they don't have complaints.

If you read in my above post I say that Sony has never confirmed that; and I never said they will, just that myself and most fans hope they do. I think you are reading too much into what I say.

Anyway I have a launch US 60gig. If anyone has a US 80gig or EU 60gig here is one search link:

I would look for EU users, but I have no idea how to use your site I just went to it for the first time.

Oh, so because a few people you know have no complaints about it, that must mean the US 80GB/PAL 60GB has 90-95% PS2 compatibility? :| According to the US BC site, around 42 of my PS2 games will work perfectly and 20 will run but have some problems (which range from insignificant to making the game completely unplayable). It may be anecdotal but when you've got games like Jak & Daxter, God of War and the Ratchet series having problems, I somehow doubt it's anywhere near 95% (especially seeing as the PS2 library is fucking enormous). I should point out that the PAL BC site is even worse, since the lazy bastards at SCEE haven't updated it since around June last year.

And yeah, there have been improvements made in their firmware updates, but they haven't really been very significant. A couple of games fixed here and there but nothing really major.

As for your other argument, saying it's 'believed to be happening' indicates that there are at least rumours floating around that point to it. There wasn't.

Btw, I was being pedantic. It just seemed like you phrased that part weirdly.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

40 Gig won't get BC at all. The 80 gig and 60 gigs running on the software emulation, they don't have the emotion engine (fuck sony and their stupid names for things) but they do still have the PS2 graphics synthisizer so it runs on a hardware/software combo.

40 Gigs lack the graphics synthisizer so it can never get the BC Sony is aiming for in the new 60 and 80 gig models.Sony can update the list with firmware as it goes along.

Waka Laka on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

40 Gig won't get BC at all. The 80 gig and 60 gigs running on the software emulation, they don't have the emotion engine (fuck sony and their stupid names for things) but they do still have the PS2 graphics synthisizer so it runs on a hardware/software combo.

40 Gigs lack the graphics synthisizer so it can never get the BC Sony is aiming for in the new 60 and 80 gig models.Sony can update the list with firmware as it goes along.

They might be working on pure software emulation that would work on the 40 GB though. I imagine though, given their recent statements about BC, that it would be extremely low priority.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478