As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited December 2016 in Games and Technology
Latest news - 27th May 2016:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/27/the-last-guardian-the-shocking-truth-about-trico-ign-first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgjvrv47qes

Old op and even older OP in below spoiler for posterity (I can't get rid of 8 years of op!)
Latest info on SOTC and ICO PS3.

The release of the ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, bundling two of the most highly acclaimed video games of all time, is right around the corner. Back in July, we revealed that there will be some exciting bonus video content included on the disc, as well as a dynamic theme for ICO and one for Shadow of the Colossus. Now that the videos are finished, I’m happy to give you a preview of what you’ll be able to look forward to when the collection hits on September 27.

Right from your disc, you’ll be able to enjoy these five exclusive bonus videos and go behind-the-scenes to learn more about these two classics and the visionaries that created them:
Early concept and prototype video montage of ICO
Early concept and prototype video montage of Shadow of the Colossus
Initial concept video for NICO, a game that was never made but turned into Shadow of the Colossus, including an on-camera introduction from creator Fumito Ueda
Candid 20+ minute round-table discussion between Fumito Ueda (creator), Kenji Kaido (producer) and Junichi Hosono (designer)
And last but not least, a 12-minute behind-the-scenes video filmed on location at the SCEI offices in Japan. This video features interviews with key production staff members about the making of ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian, as well as concept art and prototype footage of all the games, and exclusive never-before-seen footage of The Last Guardian

In addition to full 1080p HD and stereoscopic 3D support, and 7.1 surround sound, this re-release also supports a full set of trophies for each game. Here is the full trophy list for both games to give you a taste of the challenges that await you when you set out on your adventure with ICO and Wander this September 27.

New Team Ico Game - The Last Guardian.

Latest news - Ueda interest in bringing ICO and Shadow of the Colossus to the PS3
The last guardian will be at TGS!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-08-ueda-presenting-last-guardian-at-tgs-article

Other news - There's a dreamy interview and some more footage of the game here:
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/09/29/sony-meeting-will-discuss-ico-collection/
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/09/26/fumito-ueda-keen-on-ico-collection/
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-the-last/56493

Older Stuff

Trailer below from E3:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-the-last/50352?type=flv

There's also some information on the game from a Famitsu article (Translated by IGN):
June 3, 2009 - Although it was surrounded by two hours worth of major announcements and unveilings, the trailer for Team Ico's first PS3 project, The Last Guardian was, for many, the highlight of Sony's E3 press conference yesterday. In fact, we're sure many have been watching the trailer over and over non-stop since the conference.

Well hit the pause button! We've got some actual details on the game thanks to a lengthy Famitsu interview with director Fumito Ueda.

First, some naming issues. The game that eventually came to be known as The Last Guardian has been referred to by fans for some time now as "Trico," as it's the third project from the team that gained world attention with ICO on the PS2. You might also start hearing about the game by another name: "Hito Kui no Oowashi Toriko." That's the official Japanese name, as listed in Famitsu. It literally translates to "The Giant Man-Eating Eagle Toriko." More on the word "Toriko" in just a bit.

The "Oowashi," or "Giant Eagle," part of the title is what the development team uses to refer to the bird-like giant, Ueda told the magazine. Since Sony's American offices haven't shared official terminology for the creature, and since referring to it as "creature" is not particularly ideal, we're going to call it "eagle" for the time being.

According to Ueda, having a giant living creature was the first idea to emerge when creating the game. Ueda hoped to make the relationship between the player and Agro, the horse from Shadow of the Colossus, a bit more central to the game design this time.

As you might have guessed, players take control of the little boy from the trailer. The basic game design has the boy being young and thus weak and lacking abilities. The giant eagle makes up for these areas. As a young boy, the main character cannot rely on his strength to get past obstacles. However, perhaps he can overcome some trials by bringing the eagle with him.

The eagle itself has been drawing quite a bit of attention for its unique design. As detailed by Ueda, the current design was arrived at by treading closely the line between things looking natural and things looking unnatural. A big issue is that when recreating elements of dogs and cats, for instance, the unnatural will easily stand out amongst those who actually care for dogs and cats as pets. In addition to this, the eagle's designers had to take into consideration areas relating to game design.

Did you think to yourself "wow, that looks odd" when looking at the eagle? You're not alone. Ueda himself admits that it looks odd to him. But that's the aim. "It's important that it be 'a strange creature,'" explained Ueda. "We made sure and not make it too balanced."

Famitsu noted that the movements of the creature are extremely natural. Ueda explained this by recalling how he took care of not just dogs and cats in his childhood, but a variety of other animals as well, including monkeys and ducks. This gave him a sense for the motions of a variety of animals.

His childhood experience with animals also appears to have influenced his games in another way. You might have noticed how verbally quiet ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are. Ueda feels that this particular type of setting comes from the fact that animals don't speak.

While Ueda wouldn't reveal how the boy comes to meet the eagle, he was a bit (just a bit) more forthcoming with details on what you'll do in the game.

Interacting with the eagle appears to be one of the central aspects to the game. You're free to touch the eagle whenever you like. Its reactions will differ depending on where you touch it.

There's a care aspect for the eagle as well. You can feed the eagle and remove spears and arrows that have pierced it. Ueda feels that the development staff will have to take care to strike a balance and make sure the care aspects do not becoming a chore.

Growth and stage puzzles are major elements to the game. There are platforming aspects as well -- you can climb, grab things and crawl.

The flow of the game is a bit of a mystery right now. Asked if your movement through the stages will be seamless, Uedo said that it's seamless as far as there being no load times as you move about. However, there is an order to the locations that you visit.

The magazine asked Ueda if it's difficult to design stages when having to deal with characters of such vastly differing sizes. His response was that stage design is always difficult.

With Last Guardian, however, one area of the stage design involves how you go about getting the eagle to do stuff for you. You can either order it around, or you can have it cooperate with you. For instance, you could make the eagle move by throwing around something that it likes.

Also something to keep in mind as you work through the levels is that eagle's level of intellect isn't all that high (this is what Uedo said -- don't send nasty e-mails to us). It may not move according to your expectations. As an example, you may be able to clear an area if the eagle would just sit still. However, the eagle ends up moving.

Ueda's comments were even more vague on the onlne possibilities for the game. He would only say there are things they'd like to do with online, but that he could not say if it will be possible to realize them.

For this third project, Team ICO is making use of some advanced technology. Different from their past titles, they're using real physics. As an example of this, Ueda made note of a scene where the creature eats a barrel. This is not done with motion capture, but with actual physical calculations involving the barrel and the creature's mouth.

Uedo also noted the game's pairing of the AI of ICO and the collision schemes of Shadow of the Colossus. This older technology has all been redone at PS3 levels.

The staff is paying great attention to one particular environmental effect: wind. The wind determines how the eagle's feathers sway. Each feather is processed individually.

Just a bit more about the name before we let you get back to the trailer. There's actually more meaning to the Japanese name than the literal "The Giant Man-Eating Eagle Toriko" translation that we provided above. As mentioned by Ueda in the interview, the word "Toriko" can be taken to mean prisoner, a baby bird, and a pairing of bird (tori) and cat (neko).

He did not mention that the word can also be transcribed as "Trico." Yes, it appears that we've known the name of Team ICO's newest project for some time now.

And now for some pretty pictures:
Last_Guardian1.jpg
Last_Guardian2new.jpg
Last_Guardian3.jpg
Last_Guardian4new.jpg

Followed by some more pretty pictures:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090610_280876.html

Below is also the "leaked" earlier version of the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF3fED8EXl4

Original Op, which is now rubbish but may be of some interest, below:

First PS3 screenshot up!

1932.jpg

Thanks to xraydog for the update. The picture has an odd depth perspective to it, at first I thought the chain was hanging vertically, but it appears to be laid down on the floor.

Original Post!

For those not in the know (anyone?) Team Ico created:

ICO
ico009_2.jpg

and

Shadow of the Colossus
Shadow-of-the-Colossus.jpg

I originally picked up ICO because it looked to me, at the time, to be like a 3D Prince of persia, which intrigued me! After playing it I discovered it was so much more and fell in love with the art style and general feel of the game. I was out of the Video Game loop at the time and suddenly came across Shadow of the Colossus in store, a quick look at the box art and screenshots indicated to me that this indeed was by the same people (and, to my mind at the time, may even have been a sequel!). I picked it up immediately.

Since then I've played through the games multiple times and, along with Guitar Hero, they're one of few reasons I cling to my PS2.

So what's known about Team ICO and their PS3 endevours? Not a great deal but we can piece together bits and bobs. It's been confirmed (by 1up on a podcast, so take that as you will) that Team ICO are working on TWO PSN titles. One of these is fairly strongly rumoured to be a PSN title, further, weaker rumours indicated that this would be a remake of Shadow of the Colossus but I can find absolutely NOTHING solid to back this up.

At some point in October, Game Informer claim to have an exclusive feature regarding Fumito Ueda's new game, "The Last Canyon", nothing materialises though.

Finally, in December, Fumito Ueda says:
"In my opinion as a gamer, 2007 turned out to be a year full of great games. Particularly, graphical improvement in Western videogames is incredible. To differentiate ourselves from overseas developers, yet at the same time appeal to players everywhere, will become an even more important aspect of game development than ever before. Personally, I hope that future games will have content with more depth yet concise playtimes with prices arranged accordingly.

We're looking forward to the day we can reveal our current title(s) in production. Hopefully it will be very soon. Goodbye."

So, there we go, it looks like they want to reveal something soon. Speculate on. Does anyone else have anything else to bring to the table? Apologies if this thread got your hopes up and then dashed them with no real information :)

So, following years of uncertainty and reports of cancellation due to trademark expiration the Last Guardian has now been shown for the PS4 and given a release date of 2016. Here's the trailer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zXLZvsSmBIs

And if you've no idea what this game is, here's the gist stolen from wikipedia:
The Last Guardian‍ '​s story follows that of a boy who is trying to escape from a setting resembling the ruins of a large expansive castle.The game will revolve around the developing friendship between the boy and a giant, feathered creature, resembling a griffin, named Trico (トリコ Toriko?). The name of the creature can be taken to mean "prisoner" (虜 toriko?), "baby bird" (鳥の子 tori no ko?), or a portmanteau of "bird" (鳥 tori?) and "cat" (猫 neko?).

Trico has spears and arrows stuck in its back, and is initially bound by a chain. Later, it is freed and is shown attacking an armored soldier. Screenshots, along with the E3 trailer, show the boy attempting to sneak past and attack other soldiers. Trico will at first be hostile toward the boy, but during the course of the game, the two will develop an emotional attachment to each other.

Ueda suggested there may be similar creatures like Trico in the game, but could not confirm this.

In general it seems to be a bit of a mix of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, which can be no bad thing. If you want some background/ramblings on Ico/SOTC, check out the old op.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ico sold me a PS2. It would take great strength of will for an Ico spiritual successor (such as SotC) not to sell me a PS3.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    whatever team ICO makes, I will buy. They have *more* than proven themselves twice, so they get my money. I mean god damn...Shadow of the Colossus...I pull that out and wow my friends with the gameplay and visuals *still*.

I've let people borrow that game so much and have gotten at least 7 of my friends to buy it themselves. That game wins.

DarkSymphony on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MGS4, and Team Ico are my two main reasons i am sad i took a 360 over a PS3. I still love my 360 and do not regret the purchase, but when the new Team Ico game comes out, i am going to be a very very very sad panda.

Or a very poor Panda with two consoles.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    So what's known about Team ICO and their PS3 endevours? Not a great deal but we can piece together bits and bobs. It's been confirmed (by 1up on a podcast, so take that as you will) that Team ICO are working on TWO PSN titles. One of these is fairly strongly rumoured to be a PSN title, further, weaker rumours indicated that this would be a remake of Shadow of the Colossus but I can find absolutely NOTHING solid to back this up.

At this stage, it's still a rumour. A rumour that's been flying around for over a year now and still hasn't gone away, but a rumour none-the-less. Chances are pretty good that it's true though.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It dang well better be. I'm just hoping to hear something, anything from them with regards to what's coming next. I've got plenty to keep me going on my PS3 but I would drop absolutely everything to play the next Team Ico game.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I read something early 2007 about Team Ico working on something on PS3 with a game that has you diving through giant valleys or something. Generated quite a bit of hype and then ended up being false.

Heres hoping something real comes soon. I know they try to make something new everytime but SoTC2 would be fucking awesome.

Waka Laka on
    edited January 2008
    That's kind of what I'm hoping, something new to satisfy that itch and maybe a sequel to SOTC. I loved that game more than is normal and would enjoy playing it with a more steady framerate

Mr_Grinch on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just beat SotC a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved it, although I was a bit confused when people were saying that killing some of the Colossi is a depressing thing.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I just beat SotC a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved it, although I was a bit confused when people were saying that killing some of the Colossi is a depressing thing.

What did they do to you man?! what did they do to you?!?! You gotta go crawling and stabbing these peaceful giants.

That game was something else though. Climbing the tower was fucking sweeeet. Longest climb ever.

DekuStick on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Team Ico are now pretty much the only thing that coudl sell me on the PS3.
    We will see how they do.

I would not, however, like to see SOTC 2. The game was artistically complete. A sequal would be a goddamn crying disgrace, and about as much of a case of missing the point as you could get.

Xagarath on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I agree with a SOTC sequel being a bad idea, but I would like to see a re-release on PSN. Same game, just running at 1080p, with a more stable framerate. Maybe, as a little bonus, they could finish some of the colossi that didn't make the final cut, and include them in the time attack mode (I wouldn't want them in the main game, because I wouldn't want them to redesign the temple to include the extra statues).

Hell, I would even re-purchase ICO on PSN, as long as it was pretty and they included the stuff that didn't make it into the US version of the game.

Having a SOTC2 would take away too much time that could be spent on their next original idea, but a SOTC:HD wouldn't be too much of a hindrance (heck, the porting could be handled by a lesser developer).

Dirty on
    edited January 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    I agree with a SOTC sequel being a bad idea, but I would like to see a re-release on PSN. Same game, just running at 1080p, with a more stable framerate. Maybe, as a little bonus, they could finish some of the colossi that didn't make the final cut, and include them in the time attack mode (I wouldn't want them in the main game, because I wouldn't want them to redesign the temple to include the extra statues).

Hell, I would even re-purchase ICO on PSN, as long as it was pretty and they included the stuff that didn't make it into the US version of the game.

Having a SOTC2 would take away too much time that could be spent on their next original idea, but a SOTC:HD wouldn't be too much of a hindrance (heck, the porting could be handled by a lesser developer).

They should cram the extra collosi statues in the secret garden. Make you work for it :twisted: I would suck 40 dicks for a SOTC with a steady 60 fps and HD.

DekuStick on
    edited January 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Team Ico are now pretty much the only thing that coudl sell me on the PS3.
    We will see how they do.

I would not, however, like to see SOTC 2. The game was artistically complete. A sequal would be a goddamn crying disgrace, and about as much of a case of missing the point as you could get.

I agree with that actually, but I would love a remake (as was loosely rumoured), same game, just the frame rate sorted out and a higher resolution (without losing the art style though).

I'm really curious to see what the next game brings though, the last two have been similar in style only really.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DekuStick wrote: »

What did they do to you man?! what did they do to you?!?! You gotta go crawling and stabbing these peaceful giants.

That game was something else though. Climbing the tower was fucking sweeeet. Longest climb ever.

I don't know - maybe I get bloodlust or something. Peaceful though? Fuck that. The guy was hurling fireballs. And he didn't exactly have a rainbow over him. But that tower climb was really, really fun.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
    edited January 2008

I don't know - maybe I get bloodlust or something. Peaceful though? Fuck that. The guy was hurling fireballs. And he didn't exactly have a rainbow over him. But that tower climb was really, really fun.

By and large they wait for you to attack them though, you're the one firing arrows in to their flesh, if I was a giant hulking monster and someone started doing that to me, I'd be a bit pissed!

Mr_Grinch on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

By and large they wait for you to attack them though, you're the one firing arrows in to their flesh, if I was a giant hulking monster and someone started doing that to me, I'd be a bit pissed!

Almost all of them go on the attack first.

Renzo on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Team ICO making a PS3 game means that at some point I will have to own/have the service of a PS3.

They pretty much make beautiful, perfect, wonderful games.

LewieP on
  • ZuorZuor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I seriously don't get what's so good in SotC, I bought immidaetly after I got a ps2 myself (yes, bought it quite late) and what do I get? A big disappointment. Sure the fights are epic but the game is so boring and wow, the graphics, just terrible. I don't know if I'm just "too used" to the next gen graphics but the low fps is just terrible. It ruins the gaming expirience. If team ICO would do a new version of SotC to ps3, I'm sure it would be epic and maybe then, I'd actually play the game for more than a couple of hours.

Zuor on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think much of this hype but SOTC was pretty much just a game about giant boss battles which makes it a great game. ICO can suck tortoise penis.

RichardTauber on
    edited January 2008
    Zuor wrote: »
    I seriously don't get what's so good in SotC, I bought immidaetly after I got a ps2 myself (yes, bought it quite late) and what do I get? A big disappointment. Sure the fights are epic but the game is so boring and wow, the graphics, just terrible. I don't know if I'm just "too used" to the next gen graphics but the low fps is just terrible. It ruins the gaming expirience. If team ICO would do a new version of SotC to ps3, I'm sure it would be epic and maybe then, I'd actually play the game for more than a couple of hours.

That's alright. It's just not for you.

DekuStick on
    edited January 2008
    The frame rate isn't -that- bad. It's not game breakingly bad and the game has a beautiful style, it's not about how many polygons it's throwing around but it looks utterly stunning. The game is meant to invoke a feeling of isolation. There's absolutely nothing about, only you and these giant lumbering creatures (and a couple of birds and a turtle!).

Clearly it's just not your type of game.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The ending of SOTC pisses me off like none other. I swear I did the end fight sequence a billion times, hoping there's a different ending.

SOTC ending made me shed manly tears of sadness.

Casually Hardcore on
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ugh. A SotC remake on the PS3 would completely break down my inhibitions. My resistance would falter! I just think of SotC, even more beautiful, with a steadier framerate, and all my... yeah.

Noray on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    SotC on a 60gb PS3 fixes the framerate issues...

Renzo on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I never played Ico, although it looked cool. However, I did give Shadow of the Colossus a run. It didn't do much for me. I was really disappointed in returning it, but killing the Colossi really didn't do anything for me, and that's all you really do from start to finish. So I guess it's not the game for me.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited January 2008
    It runs better on a 60gb PS3? Curse my cheapness!

Anyone want to swap a 40gb for a 60gb? I'll erm...throw in something special.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited January 2008
    naughty pictures?

Goatmon on

edited January 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    naughty pictures?

Sure, why not!

Mr_Grinch on
    edited January 2008
    Fantastic!

Can they be of an attractive person?

Goatmon on

• AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really should try and finish ICO... It was just... I got SO SCARED that something would happen to Yorda that I quit playing. Yeah, it was for my health.

However I absolutely love SotC. It's in my top 10 of best games ever. Some part of me actually doesn't want team ICO releasing a game because then I'll have to buy a PS3.

I have no moneyz!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shit.

I knew it was coming, but shit. I won't get to play this until the PS4 comes out and I can grab a PS3 for dirt cheap. And that makes me sad, because SotC is one of my three or four favorite games ever.

JihadJesus on
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fumito Ueda, the lead designer of team ICO used to have an old website where you could see various stills and brainstorm concepts from the time before he started working for Sony. The interesting thing is that you can see how these concepts inspired the art of Ico and SotC. The website is currently offline unfortunately.

The wayback machine has only preserved a few of his works, like this shot of a large castle, distantly reminiscent of the Ico one, or this image of a small man climbing something while fighting a giant, futuristic men fighting a giant monster, another giant monster with an arrow in his head, a spaceship, two scary monsters and various references to motors and a scooter he seemingly drove himself.

I wonder what we can speculate based on these interests. He obviously is not afraid of futuristic concepts, with all the techy things he drew, so we might see a game in a more modern setting. Another thing that I thought interesting was how the horse in SotC was an obvious translation of this man's love for motorcycles and the freedom they permit, he seems quite the traveler from that scooter picture.

If I may fantasize further, I think how you could hang onto the hawks and pigeons in SotC and let them fly you around a bit was a really neat easter egg. My dream game from team ICO would be something like a Nausicaa (seriously see this amazing movie some time) game, where you can fly around and board/pirate large airships. They could use all the climbing mechanics from SotC to climb around the airship until you found a way in.
    Or just any game where you can fly around and unboard to walk around in a free environment.

EDIT: If anyone finds a more complete copy of his old website, let us know so we may speculate wildly further.

peterdevore on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Ico sold me a PS2. It would take great strength of will for an Ico spiritual successor (such as SotC) not to sell me a PS3.

I've said from day one, a Team ICO game will sell me a PS3. If they'd had it out at launch, yes, I would have paid $600 for it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Ico sold me a PS2.

Same here.

Was the only PS2 game I had for the longest time. I played it on a demo station at Wal Mart and was completely blown away. One of those games I didn't mind dying because I wanted to check out what would happen if I did something.

Got similar vibes from Tomb Raider.

"Imma dive off this here cliff and see what happens."

*Splat*

Sweet.

EDIT

peterdevore, if you're a big fan of his work, and just want to check it out to be a completionist, see if you can track down a copy of Enemy Zero if you own a Saturn. Pretty good game. Incredibly fucking creepy. Very isolated. Pretty much his starting point.

Sheep on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The frame rate isn't -that- bad. It's not game breakingly bad and the game has a beautiful style, it's not about how many polygons it's throwing around but it looks utterly stunning. The game is meant to invoke a feeling of isolation. There's absolutely nothing about, only you and these giant lumbering creatures (and a couple of birds and a turtle!).

Clearly it's just not your type of game.

Actually, I did find the frame rate & the camera to be game breaking for me. I list Ico in my top 5 games ever. However, I bought SOTC and tried night after night to actually like the game, but I just got more and more frustrated. I SHOULD love it - the storyline, the graphic style, everything was aimed exactly at my likes - but to me the technical issues got in the way too much and I gave up and moved onto another game.

If we rebuy the PS2 I may try again, but I have a feeling I'll have a similar experience.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

Almost all of them go on the attack first.

Well you're in a forbidden place. You aren't supposed to be there!

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I recently watched a documentary on the early years of Hitchcock's British films. The way it gave an overview of his use of the medium, themes he employed that showed up in his later work, and visual techniques that became a part of his style, made me really want a documentary on Fumito Ueda, with analysis of his visual style, story themes, and most importantly, his use of gameplay to instill story-context instincts in the player.

If you've played both games, you know what I mean:
    THEME --> action repeatedly performed --> moment where instinct is played on
    TRUST --> catching Yorda's hand repeatedly --> jumping after Yorda as the bridge splits/trusting her
    UNWILLINGNESS TO LET GO OF THE PAST --> physically holding on to environment and colossi --> holding on to the steps while being pulled towards the vortex/having to let go

I can't wait to see what new way he uses story, theme, and games-as-art gameplay to force a player into building emotional connections. Because that's what he's GOOD at.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Good god. I had almost forgotten about Team ICO. I just bought a 360 to supplement my Wii. I figured now nothing in this world would make me drop the cash on a PS3 as well. Not Drake, not Ratchet, nothing. Then I read this.

Ugh.

SotC was hands-down my game of the year when in came out. It's right up there alongside Beyond Good & Evil, and (of course) ICO, but better.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Good god. I had almost forgotten about Team ICO. I just bought a 360 to supplement my Wii. I figured now nothing in this world would make me drop the cash on a PS3 as well. Not Drake, not Ratchet, nothing. Then I read this.

Nah.

As much as I dislike Sony, and never really cared for the PS2 (though I loved the PSX), I always knew I'd have to get a PS3 for something. Eventually.

Sheep on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sleep wrote: »

Nah.

As much as I dislike Sony, and never really cared for the PS2 (though I loved the PSX), I always knew I'd have to get a PS3 for something. Eventually.

I figured as much as well, although I thought it'd be another couple years down the road. Maybe for Kingdom Hearts 3, or maybe Metal Gear. I've just been jazzed that most of the "great" games so far have either been multi-platform, or 360 exclusives. Aside from the 4 amazing Wii games, of course.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust