As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ampix wrote: »
    I really should try and finish ICO... It was just... I got SO SCARED that something would happen to Yorda that I quit playing. Yeah, it was for my health.

However I absolutely love SotC. It's in my top 10 of best games ever. Some part of me actually doesn't want team ICO releasing a game because then I'll have to buy a PS3.

I have no moneyz!
    I never finished either if it makes you feel any better. I think they're both pretty games, but I've never really understood their acclaim amongst gamers. They were fun for about the first 5-10 hours, but the story never really drew me in to wanting to complete it.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    All of this talk is making me angry that I disliked the game. It had all of the elements of amazing gameplay in it, presented in a way that , to me, killed the experience. It's like looking through some amazing life-changing book that's written in a language I don't understand.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Ampix wrote: »
    I really should try and finish ICO... It was just... I got SO SCARED that something would happen to Yorda that I quit playing. Yeah, it was for my health.

However I absolutely love SotC. It's in my top 10 of best games ever. Some part of me actually doesn't want team ICO releasing a game because then I'll have to buy a PS3.

I have no moneyz!
    I never finished either if it makes you feel any better. I think they're both pretty games, but I've never really understood their acclaim amongst gamers. They were fun for about the first 5-10 hours, but the story never really drew me in to wanting to complete it.

How anyone can finish, or even get well into, Shadow of the Colossus without having a huge epiphany of "...What the hell have I done?" followed by a feeling of absolute horror, is just beyond me.

Any game that can evoke an emotion like that is doing something right.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How anyone can finish, or even get well into, Shadow of the Colossus without having a huge epiphany of "...What the hell have I done? DEAR GOD I JUST KILLED IT D:" followed by a feeling of absolute horror, is just beyond me.

Any game that can evoke an emotion like that is doing something right.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, about SOTC running better on a 60GB PS3, ... are we talking the EU model that uses software and hardware emulation? Or the US model with just hardware?

Dirty on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Everyone always talks about the art design of these games, which is awesome, but I've always been just as impressed with their philosophy of game design. Two main things:

• No bullshit. Ico and SoTC have no filler. There are no mindless enemies to swat with repeated button mashing in SoTC, and in Ico the shadow creatures acted more as a time-constraint to puzzle-solving than a physical threat. There are no fetch quests, no townspeople. The plot is minimal and concise, and the experience of playing the game tells the story much more than any cut scenes. This results in some of the most "pure" gaming I've ever had.

• You're not a complete badass. Jumping and climbing is hard in these games. In the animations, your character stumbles, holds his sword awkardly, loses his grip. So many games—even so called "realistic" games—have effortless control where you merely have to press a few timed buttons to make your avatar do a double-cartwheel off of the heads of a dozen monsters, impaling them all as he falls. The difficulty of controlling Ico and SoTC is the polar opposite, and rather than detract from the experience it adds realism—it makes you feel like this magical world could really exist and you could be there.

I really wish more games took their cues from this team's game design philosophy. I'm looking at you, Next Zelda Game.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ^ yep

I love how the control always feels spot on.

In ICO you feel like a small boy, with no combat training. In SOTC, you feel like a true badass, willing to put everything on the line.

LewieP on
  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Ico is a wonderful, magical game experience. Except for the excruciating fighting system, which is almost game breaking it's so horrible. Still have fond memories of the game though.

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I bought Ico TWICE. Both times it was stolen BOTH FUCKING TIMES. I went to order a copy today after seeing this thread and it's up to around 40 for a mint copy. Shit. I paid full price for the original and around 15 for my second copy.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Know what I want? The game we got a trailer of back in the day with the colossus walking through the barren wasteland, and then FOUR Wanders riding up and taking it down together. I want that. I want a multiplayer experience like that.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing about, only you and these giant lumbering creatures (and a couple of birds and a turtle!).

How did you forget about the lizards? Two type, no less.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing about, only you and these giant lumbering creatures (and a couple of birds and a turtle!).

I could go on for paragraphs about the clever juxtaposition of going from hunting tiny lizards that are almost invisible to the naked eye to bringing down massive behemoths so large that their girth affects the weather.

Clever, especially in that the lizards are more of a challenge than some of the giant lumbering beasts.

minor incident on
  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    I bought Ico TWICE. Both times it was stolen BOTH FUCKING TIMES. I went to order a copy today after seeing this thread and it's up to around 40 for a mint copy. Shit. I paid full price for the original and around 15 for my second copy.

Too bad you aren't European. There are piles and piles of the game there (still sealed!), because they did a reprint right around the time SotC was released.

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I never got to play ICO because I didn't get a PS2 until extremely late in its life. Now Amazon and eBay show that new copies are like $100 and used copies are $35 and up. That makes Gim a saaaaad panda.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Illyria wrote: »

Too bad you aren't European. There are piles and piles of the game there (still sealed!), because they did a reprint right around the time SotC was released.

Dammit! Well that's awesome for you guys though. I'm glad the game has the fanbase it deserves in some territories atleast. Has anyone seen The Mega64 Ico skits? They're pretty classy.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    Good god. I had almost forgotten about Team ICO. I just bought a 360 to supplement my Wii. I figured now nothing in this world would make me drop the cash on a PS3 as well. Not Drake, not Ratchet, nothing. Then I read this.

Nah.

As much as I dislike Sony, and never really cared for the PS2 (though I loved the PSX), I always knew I'd have to get a PS3 for something. Eventually.

I figured as much as well, although I thought it'd be another couple years down the road. Maybe for Kingdom Hearts 3, or maybe Metal Gear. I've just been jazzed that most of the "great" games so far have either been multi-platform, or 360 exclusives. Aside from the 4 amazing Wii games, of course.

This is our secret motive for we Nintendo fans wanting Sony to die.

jothki on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    man

That SotC screenie in the OP is horribly ruined by the terrible texturing on that rock.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Has anyone seen The Mega64 Ico skits? They're pretty classy.

I may be in the minority, but I HATE most of the Mega64 skits. All they do is run around and annoy the fuck out of people. Every video is pretty much exactly the same, just based on a different game.

The only exception I've seen so far is the Shenmue one, since a lot of people just thought he was a random retarded kid, so it resulted in a wider variety of reactions.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dirty wrote: »

I may be in the minority, but I HATE most of the Mega64 skits. All they do is run around and annoy the fuck out of people. Every video is pretty much exactly the same, just based on a different game.

The only exception I've seen so far is the Shenmue one, since a lot of people just thought he was a random retarded kid, so it resulted in a wider variety of reactions.

You have obviously not seen the NSMB one.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I forgot about that one, but other than that moment, it was the same old, annoying Mega 64 bullshit.

Dirty on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Illyria wrote: »

Some of us went and bought it rare before the rerelease.
    I was not terribly happy.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll echo the notion that a game by Team ICO will sell me a PS3. Both games are such subtle emotional manipulations that I can't help but be in awe of the game design. Actively jumping off the bridge after Yorda or crawling in desperation towards Momo are two of the most powerful scenes in video games made even more so by the fact that the player is the one emotionally motivated to do such an irrational act.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Damn you for reminding me of this genius and his team of genius programmers!

I never got the play ICO, but SotC is one of my favorite games, and not only was it very emotional and very fun (at times), but they did many things that shouldn't be possible on the PS2. There's a reason it has a crappy framerate!

I would love a remake on the PS3 in HD, though I would also hate it for making me buy a PS3. I hope he waits until late into the PS3's lifetime to make a new game so I don't have to buy one until the next price-drop.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

I never got the play ICO, but SotC is one of my favorite games, and not only was it very emotional and very fun (at times), but they did many things that shouldn't be possible on the PS2. There's a reason it has a crappy framerate!

I would love a remake on the PS3 in HD, though I would also hate it for making me buy a PS3. I hope he waits until late into the PS3's lifetime to make a new game so I don't have to buy one until the next price-drop.

SotC certainly did wring some impossible feats out of the PS2. The depth of field blur, the film grain, and the draw distance were all pretty impressive looking on a system like that, even if the framerate took a nosedive occasionally.

And the animations! The horse, especially. Twilight Princess was nice, but Epona's animation wasn't in the same league.

minor incident on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

And the fish.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

And the fish.

And the horse!

And a dead chick.

Edited.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    nice spoilers jerkface

LewieP on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

SotC certainly did wring some impossible feats out of the PS2. The depth of field blur, the film grain, and the draw distance were all pretty impressive looking on a system like that, even if the framerate took a nosedive occasionally.

And the animations! The horse, especially. Twilight Princess was nice, but Epona's animation wasn't in the same league.

Not to mention the fact that Agro controlled like a real horse! It didn't just blindly go where you pushed the analog stick, you had to kind of guide it in the right general direction. Made it seem like the horse was a real character rather than a mere means of transportation. And the way Wander would desperately yell "Agro!" in the middle of a boss fight was perfect.

And the music! It's so goddamn amazing. I'm listening to it right now, and you can just picture the colossus fights that each song corresponds to.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Not to mention the fact that Agro controlled like a real horse! It didn't just blindly go where you pushed the analog stick, you had to kind of guide it in the right general direction. Made it seem like the horse was a real character rather than a mere means of transportation. And the way Wander would desperately yell "Agro!" in the middle of a boss fight was perfect.

And the music! It's so goddamn amazing. I'm listening to it right now, and you can just picture the colossus fights that each song corresponds to.

After playing SotC, I just can't stand using horses in any other games. They all just end up feeling like freaking robots. Even the ones in Assassin's Creed, which mimicked a fair bit from SotC, they just didn't have the personality Agro did.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I bought SotC a while back, played it for a bit, loved it, then stopped playing. I came back recently, got up to the giant eel thing that's piddling about underwater, and was nearly snapping the controller in rage with the way it shocks you if you're anywhere near its tendrils when it goes underwater. I guarantee every time I got up to the head to stab the weak-spot, whether I took my time to save health, or rushed there as fast as I could, it would dive under and get me shocked/killed, instantly.
    SO pissed off.

That said, I absolutely love the atmosphere and scale, and would love to see what the guys can do with the PS3. It'd be another tipping-point towards getting one.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I bought SotC a while back, played it for a bit, loved it, then stopped playing. I came back recently, got up to the giant eel thing that's piddling about underwater, and was nearly snapping the controller in rage with the way it shocks you if you're anywhere near its tendrils when it goes underwater. I guarantee every time I got up to the head to stab the weak-spot, whether I took my time to save health, or rushed there as fast as I could, it would dive under and get me shocked/killed, instantly.
    SO pissed off.
    There's a weak spot behind each shocking thing that you can stab to "turn it off" for the entire battle. Once you've gotten them all disabled all you have to do is work your way up to the colossus' head and stab him repeatedly.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why the hell did I never notice that, or beat my brother until he remembered.
    DAMMIT ALL TO HELL thanks.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Why the hell did I never notice that, or beat my brother until he remembered.
    DAMMIT ALL TO HELL thanks.

The best part about the gameplay are those revelations you have when you suddenly figure it out.

Like on the
    one where you shoot the underside of his feet, which you don't notice until he's stomping all over you.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I remember when I got to the last Colossus. I fought my way to the very top.

I fell to the very bottom.

That was a trying period.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dirty wrote: »

Well. I have all their DVDs, and I will say that the weakest part of Mega64 is the videogame skits. The episodes and the characters are fan-fucking-tastic in my personal opinion. I don't think the skits are bad, but like I said, weakest link.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some pretty sweet colossus tricks from time-attack here: http://bgr44.cool.ne.jp/wanda/movie/movie.html

Spoilers, obviously.

Beating the last colossus in under three minutes is an amazing feeling.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was talking about the American 60gb. Can't speak on the UK situation.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Zsetrek wrote: »
    Some pretty sweet colossus tricks from time-attack here: http://bgr44.cool.ne.jp/wanda/movie/movie.html

Spoilers, obviously.

Beating the last colossus in under three minutes is an amazing feeling.

My favorite trick is with the sword wielder. I tried for hours to perfect the trick where you catapult off his sword as he raises it and land on his collar. When you actually nail it, you feel like a god. Time Attack mode is so much fun. This thread is making me wish I still had a PS2.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Two things will sell me on a PS3:

1) A Final Fantasy VII Remake

2) Anything by Team ICO.

Seriously... it sucks because I know that I'm going to have no choice but to buy Sony's crappy hardware, these games are irresistible. Hopefully another price drop will head our way before these games hit the market.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I havent played it but how do you pronounce Ico? I've always called it "eye see oh" but my friend says its "eak-oh"

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png