As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do gamers read?

Mr. WittMr. Witt Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
http://kotaku.com/343554/do-gamers-read
Once again, further proof that mainstream press shouldn't let just anyone cover games! National Public Radio's Chana Joffe-Walt has an interview with Halo: Contact Harvest author Joseph Staten. The book was a New York Times best seller, but Joffe-Walt couldn't care less. Not only is she ignorant about gaming, she's brings her own ill-informed prejudices to the the interview. There are exchanges like this:

Joffe-Walt: "Yes, my fellow non-gaming Luddites, there is a story to Halo. I know, I thought the same thing. Isn't gaming all just shoot'em up? Why do you need story?"
Staten: "I think to understand why stories are important in games, you need to actually play them."

But wait, there's more! That, after the jump.

Joffe-Walt: "Which brings me to another frank and ridiculous question, 'Do gamers read?'" (Keep in mind, she's asking a NY Times best selling author this.)

And lastly...

Staten: "You're dealing with an internet connection, high savvy audience." Joffe-Walt: "Geeks, you're dealing with geeks."

And we're dealing with a hack journo. We're not asking you to be an expert, just respectful.

I was pretty disappointed with this, so I gave Chana a call *COUGH ###-###-####* to let her know.

Mr. Witt on

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    TLDR

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    :'(

Mr. Witt on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I read but only on the crapper.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mr. Witt wrote: »
    :'(

Nah Im kidding.

I never knew the Halo novel was a NYT best seller. Thats pretty impressive.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I always like it when someone plays off knowing about technology as a BAD things. It will be awesome in the future when these people are utterly incapable of doing any job. I already see this somewhat now at my work, there are people who refuse to learn about any new technology and take 5 to 6 times as long to do their job as someone whos moderately familiar with computers.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    While she is being dumb there is this warning on the harvey birdman game: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/11/warning-youve-got-to-read-to-play-harvey-birdman/
    Wich is pretty rediculious.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zeon wrote: »
    I always like it when someone plays off knowing about technology as a BAD things. It will be awesome in the future when these people are utterly incapable of doing any job. I already see this somewhat now at my work, there are people who refuse to learn about any new technology and take 5 to 6 times as long to do their job as someone whos moderately familiar with computers.

fortunately people who aren't good at anything will still become hack journalists

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    to be fair i think this is just a classic case of a journalist being assigned a topic they don't particularly care for, and doing a half arsed job till they get put onto something 'better', instead of being an actually journalist and researching the topic and trying to give a fair, unbiased view of the subject.

hardly surprising, and not really anything to get all that upset about.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah I heard this interview, she was completely bewildered that game systems are capable of displaying text on the screen and not only that but forming complete sentences.

Also she seemed surprised that the average gamer could follow a storyline without their brain numbing over and promptly going into a coma.

yakul on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zeon wrote: »

Well I don't know a lot about this technical stuff BECAUSE I'M NOT A GEEK YOU KNOW

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was so disappointed in this when I heard it last week.

I read all the damn time! But I don''t usually read books about videogames because they're usually not very good. Are the Halo books any good?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Are the Halo books any good?

cheap, pulp sci-fi, much like the games. not that thats a bad thing. they do a great job of fleshing out the Halo universe, and provide a more in-depth back story.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    davincie wrote: »
    While she is being dumb there is this warning on the harvey birdman game: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/11/warning-youve-got-to-read-to-play-harvey-birdman/

I'm pretty sure that's something called humor.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Manga counts as reading. >.>

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

This warning has been on other games before supposedly.

Like Pokemon Red/Blue.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    *COUGH ###-###-####*

Mr. Witt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Like Pokemon Red/Blue.

Okay, then the general populace is just getting dumber as time goes on and developers felt the need to tell people that basic literacy is still something they might find useful.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was going to come in here all fire and fury, then I counted and the last book I read that wasn't

A Halo tie-in novel
    Based on the Warhammer 40,00 license
    Compulsory for my course
    Published by Marvel or DC

would be about 6 months ago. Oh dear.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You're not helping the cause. Also, I can understand why they'd do that, seeing the type of game it is.
    *COUGH ###-###-####*

Stop that. PA is not your personal Army.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mr. Witt, I've reported both of your posts. I think urging the forum to raid is against the rules here. The rule is directed to raiding forums, but I think it's implied for phone numbers as well.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    *COUGH*

Calling to harass her is stupid and makes you look like a crazy jackass. Writing an eloquent letter on paper and mailing it to her would have a far greater effect.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Like Pokemon Red/Blue.

Okay, then the general populace is just getting dumber as time goes on and developers felt the need to tell people that basic literacy is still something they might find useful.

Actually for Pokemon it made sense since the game appealed to young kids as young as three and reading ability is obviously hit or miss in that age demographic.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm not too concerned about getting banned... I've only made maybe 5 posts here throughout the course of history

Mr. Witt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Like Pokemon Red/Blue.

only problem is, the warning are written. D: kinda defeats the purpose if the dumb fucks can't read in the first place.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    And I never harassed her, but told her assistant in a professional manner that I was disappointed, and he said he'd pass the message along.

Mr. Witt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm not too concerned about getting banned... I've only made maybe 5 posts here throughout the course of history

Well it's a good thing you've told us you came here to bitch and command us to complain to some person I've never even heard of

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone who's played Halo online knows that most other players aren't exactly intellectuals.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think Halo fans and Gamers need to stop getting lumped together.

thanks.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh for fucks sake.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Going by the state of writing in games at this point (save for Tim Schafer and very few others), it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of gamers, hell, even the majority of the games industry hasn't touched a piece of literature since high school.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Like Pokemon Red/Blue.

only problem is, the warning are written. D: kinda defeats the purpose if the dumb fucks can't read in the first place.

It's for parents, obviously. There's nothing wrong with writing that, considering many parents buy games for kids that don't have basic reading capabilities. Stop making a big deal out of it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Anyone who's played Halo online knows that most other players aren't exactly intellectuals.

Internet fuckwad theory.
    Nalouto wrote: »

thanks.

This isn't a story about Halo. It just happened to have the story guru of Halo defending the fact that Gamers have the ability to read. It could have been any person who had written any media for any other game. So your ragging on Halo in this case is uncalled for.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    further_reading.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

thanks.

I think elitism in a hobby that has a history of being dogged by elitists is hysterical.

Kagera on
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i think that people are stupid for categorizing gamers at all

it's like categorizing people that watch tv or people that go on the internet

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Internauts!

ben0207 on
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

thanks.

I think elitism in a hobby that has a history of being dogged by elitists is hysterical.

Haha. Very good point. :lol:

phamtq on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    Going by the state of writing in games at this point (save for Tim Schafer and very few others), it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of gamers, hell, even the majority of the games industry hasn't touched a piece of literature since high school.

reading is one thing, writing is something else entirely. they could all be literate and well read, but when it comes to creating a story, getting the plot, pacing and characters right, they're still going to struggle unless they understand the craft, its even harder when writing for games since the player has as much(if not more) control over the stories progression as the writer does.

writing in games has come alone way in a fairly short period of time, and with a greater focus being put on it now than ever, i think we'll see the improvement continue.
    cherrn wrote:
    It's for parents, obviously. There's nothing wrong with writing that, considering many parents buy games for kids that don't have basic reading capabilities. Stop making a big deal out of it.

i know, i was just trying to be funny and failing miserably. par for the course really.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cunty wrote: »

The Nielsen Company would like to show you the massive pile of cash they've made over the years.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cunty wrote: »

Well, sort of. Also, pretty sure society in general is not as well-read as, say, 30 years ago.

Noray on