As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blue Dragon: 37/40 from famitsu?

syndalissyndalis Getting ClassyOn the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
bdtv3.jpg
Thats right, Famitsu has spoken, and they spoke VERY positively. 37/40 on an xbox exclusive title is unheard of... and especially in a genre that is so Japan-centric.

I wonder what this means for the underdog of the rising sun? Will this game move units above and beyond what has happened thus far? Can the promise of a dedicated, historied JRPG team bring japan over to the dark side, for at least a respectable minority as opposed to nonexistent?

discuss.

edit: For the record: it's 9/9/9/10

SW-4158-3990-6116
Let's play Mario Kart or something...
syndalis on

• ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    nevermind their reviewing process.

"The scores of famitsu, how it works :

1) Famitsu is a weekly magazine. Thus there are 4 teams making one magazine per month, with one chief editor each.

2) Before starting testing a game, the chief editor and the reviewers have a meeting and discuss about the game. If the chief editor got special orders from the publisher (don't be to harsh or so) he tells them there.

3) The 4 reviewers play the game.

4) They go back to the chief editor the day the magazine is finished and discuss again. They each agree on the score they will give to the game.

5) The chief editor sends the scores to the publishers so they can comment about them.

6) If the publicher is not happy with the scores, he negotiates. For example : "All right, you are harsh on that one, but the next one you give me a free ad, ok ?"

There it is, it's not that difficult. I say "Famitsu" because I know it from the inside, but in Japan it works like that everywhere. The magazine get the images and infos MONTHS before the official press release, but wait for the publishers before doing anything with them. There is absolutely no research from them.

All the pages about a game are sent and verified by each publisher. If they do a feature about Devil May Cry, it will be checked by Capcom who will send back the page saying them to change a title or some texts...

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, Famitsu scores haven't meant dick for a while. Okami got, what, 39/40? Didn't exactly sell very well.

I think the most amazing thing was that PS3 Gundam game, despite being hilariously bad, getting a 32/40 or so.

Anyway, I guess we'll see how Blue Dragon does. I'm guessing 200,000 lifetime sales in Japan.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
  • AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Famitsu has been giving out some seriously terrible reviews lately but I've been looking forward to Blue Dragon so I'll buy it.

Also I really doubt this will do anything for the Xbox in Japan.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zephos wrote:

??? They're the Japanese equivalent of Gamepro, whatever they give a great review to typically will have some major mass market appeal.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    edited my post to show

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Well, Famitsu scores haven't meant dick for a while. Okami got, what, 39/40? Didn't exactly sell very well.

I think the most amazing thing was that PS3 Gundam game, despite being hilariously bad, getting a 32/40 or so.

Anyway, I guess we'll see how Blue Dragon does. I'm guessing 200,000 lifetime sales in Japan.

I think they were the site that gave Dri3ver the equivalent of a 90%.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I look forward to this game, if just for the pretty graphics. It does look very nice, even though JRPGs really aren't my thing.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I saw a trailer for this somewhere. Maybe in a Gamestop, and I have to say its the first game on the MS platform that I thought, I kinda want to play that.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    :o Yay! Can't wait for this to hit North America.

bruin on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2006
    I saw a trailer for this somewhere. Maybe in a Gamestop, and I have to say its the first game on the MS platform that I thought, I kinda want to play that.
    I've said this many times, but whenever someone says that, the only thing that comes to mind is that they must not be paying attention.

Have you seen anything on Eternal Sonata / Trusty Bell? Or Lost Odyssey? Or Cry On?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • KyouKyou Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Trusty Bell and Blue Dragon are dragging me towards a 360, with me screaming "NO! I WONT HAVE THE MONEY UNTILL NEXT YEAR. STOOOOOP."

Kyou on
    chatbanie5.jpgnowplayingwiiiiiyy2.gif
    Note: I dont have wireless set up yet so I wont be able to add you just yet.
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    syndalis wrote:
    I've said this many times, but whenever someone says that, the only thing that comes to mind is that they must not be paying attention.

Have you seen anything on Eternal Sonata / Trusty Bell? Or Lost Odyssey? Or Cry On?

Or True Fantasy? Or Fable? Or Sudeki?

Enchanted Arms was pretty neato though.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    syndalis wrote:

I play plenty attention. Blue Dragon screens didnt interest me, but seeing it in motion was different, which is what they've got on Trusty Bell for the time being. I generally dont do cel shading or photorealism. I think I like shitty graphics.

I also dont do action rpgs.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    syndalis wrote:

Wait wait wait..... True Fantasy as in True Fantasy Live Online??? The game that made me crying every night ever since it got cancel???

I actually will prefer it on the orginal xbox.... the market place thing kinda scare me on console MMORPG.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Great reviews /= sales, especially in America.

Again, just look at Okami.

And it's no secret that there's pressure on the Japanese market to push as many JRPGs to the 360 as they can, because that's what'll sell the system to that market more than anything else.
    (Even Super Robot Taisen's getting a 360 version released right about now.)
    At least, that's how I see it.

No complaints here. If developers can do good with that system and give me even more reason to want one, more power to them. I just hope they're doing it of their own volition and not at proverbial gunpoint.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2006
    Mistwalker and Microsoft Japan have a very fluid and organic relationship, as the head of Microsoft Games Studio Japan is a former Square bigwig, and is close friends with Sakaguchi.

As for all the others, I dunno.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't think the score from Famitsu is going to get people in Japan to buy Blue Dragon.

I think the fact it's designed by Sakaguchi and Toriyama will.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wait, I'm sorry, did someone just try to offer Sudeki as a reason to buy an Xbox?

aeolist on
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I want this game. I really do. I just refuse to pay over $300 for a fucking game console.

I'm sorry.

I just can't do it.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    Wait, I'm sorry, did someone just try to offer Sudeki as a reason to buy an Xbox?
    I think that was sarcasm. Like Sudeki, Fable and TFO were shitty RPGs. Which is only true of Sudeki, since TFO didn't come out and Fable, despite Molyneux's classic overselling, still turned out to be pretty good.

Conditional_Axe on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    syndalis wrote:

Or Sudeki?
    :lol:
    Seriously, Sudeki. Didn't pretty much all of the reviews say that it was an average RPG?

Couscous on
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    syndalis wrote:

I play plenty attention. Blue Dragon screens didnt interest me, but seeing it in motion was different, which is what they've got on Trusty Bell for the time being. I generally dont do cel shading or photorealism. I think I like shitty graphics.

You hate cel shading? What the hell kind of communist are you?

Sanius on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sanius wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

A little bit of Jet Grind Radio'll fix that problem real fast.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Sanius wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

A little bit of Jet Grind Radio'll fix that problem real fast.
    And celda.

Couscous on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:

I thought he was trying to be sarcastic, seeing as how True Fantasy got cancelled, Fable dissapointed tons of people, and from what I hear Sudeki sucked.

Kyougu on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'd be way more excited for this if Rogue Galaxy was not about 600 times more interesting.

deadonthestreet on
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    syndalis wrote:

I remember a man who said he was buying a 360 whenever SF2 came out.

This man is a liar.
    This man is Eliot Dubois.

NeuralFizz on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zephos wrote:

"The scores of famitsu, how it works :

1) Famitsu is a weekly magazine. Thus there are 4 teams making one magazine per month, with one chief editor each.

2) Before starting testing a game, the chief editor and the reviewers have a meeting and discuss about the game. If the chief editor got special orders from the publisher (don't be to harsh or so) he tells them there.

3) The 4 reviewers play the game.

4) They go back to the chief editor the day the magazine is finished and discuss again. They each agree on the score they will give to the game.

5) The chief editor sends the scores to the publishers so they can comment about them.

6) If the publicher is not happy with the scores, he negotiates. For example : "All right, you are harsh on that one, but the next one you give me a free ad, ok ?"

There it is, it's not that difficult. I say "Famitsu" because I know it from the inside, but in Japan it works like that everywhere. The magazine get the images and infos MONTHS before the official press release, but wait for the publishers before doing anything with them. There is absolutely no research from them.

All the pages about a game are sent and verified by each publisher. If they do a feature about Devil May Cry, it will be checked by Capcom who will send back the page saying them to change a title or some texts...

Care to substantiate these claims? I'm genuinely curious as to your source.

Inquisitor on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

This man is a liar.
    This man is also pretty smart.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited November 2006
    SirToons wrote:
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

This man is a liar.
    OHSHIT MY WORDS

NeuralFizz on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    SirToons wrote:
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

This man is a liar.
    OHSHIT MY WORDS
    I can't believe you said that, Neural!

Back on topic, though, regardless of Famitsu's ethics, it still serves as a decent barometer, as long as you know that few games will get truly bad scores. Fuck, that's just like Western reviewing.

I think Blue Dragon will move some 360s, but it's not going to be some crazy rush to get the console before there are no more of them. If people are going to be buying Final Fantasy/Meta Gear boxes once they become plentiful some time in the distant future, I can see consumers dropping less cheddar for a Sakaguchi box.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited November 2006
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    SirToons wrote:
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

This man is a liar.
    OHSHIT MY WORDS
    I sure am an asshole sometimes!

NeuralFizz on
    edited December 2006
    So I heard somewhere (don't remember where) that this game is on 3 DVDs.

edit - Here we go: http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/11/blue_dragon_on_.html

bruin on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm just glad this game doesn't suck, because honestly, this is exactly the sort of game I look for on a system and microsoft NEEDS more of them. Not just to get into the Japanese market but just to have wider appeal than "FPS GAMES AND NOTHING ELSE LAWL".

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    SirToons wrote:
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

This man is a liar.
    OHSHIT MY WORDS
    I sure am an asshole sometimes!

Wow, that's a lot like any normal person saying "I sure do breathe air sometimes!". :D
    bruin wrote:

Yup. Um... ?

Aoi on
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Now if they'd drop the fucking price I'd actually consider this game.

$299 Premium PLZ!

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
    edited December 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Yup. Um... ?
    I don't really care, but it's worth mentioning. Maybe Sony's onto something with the Blu-Ray thing? I dunno.

bruin on
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

This man is a liar.

I ended up having to put about two grand in my car, and then promptly lost my job. The new 360 plan is sometime in May. Man I missed you, fizz!

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Eteric wrote:
    Now if they'd drop the fucking price I'd actually consider this game.

$299 Premium PLZ!
    That's the price at Microcenter right now if you have any around you.

bruin on