As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free Money!

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    shut up, you're getting paid for it

Abracadaniel on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I plan to retire at 32.

edit - Sheri we still good or did you forget about me? Or do I have to find an alternate means of paying you.

M.D. on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dumb Hero wrote: »
    shut up, you're getting paid for it

Hence job

Sheri on
    edited January 2008
    If I'd stayed working for UPS I woulda been retired by 45, 40 if I planned it right.

Abracadaniel on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    At least you have a skill to fall back on -- and know a bunch of people with cold necks

Javen on
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    but then you would have been working at UPS for 20 years

potatoe on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    At least you have a skill to fall back on -- and know a bunch of people with cold necks

i usually wear a scarf if that happens.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • skinny87skinny87 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm looking at a second job as security for some wierd place. It pays 17 dollars an hour though. Not that I need it I just want some extra fun money.

Is it a mysterious mansion, with a reclusive owner, and mysterious noises and flashing lights can be seen and heard at night?

Have there been reports of a Mystery Machine harrassing the owner?

skinny87 on
    edited January 2008
    potatoe wrote: »
    but then you would have been working at UPS for 20 years

It's not a bad life

if you luck out and have a decent route where you're just bringing old ladies their Home Shopping Network shit.

some of the routes I loaded had nothing but fucking heavy shit, including parts of a WWII jeep

Abracadaniel on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I feel sorry for the people in real estate and banking right now. Places are folding up like a dollar bill.

FreddyD on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I quit four jobs, got fired from two.

tardcore on
  • BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I walked out of one job and never came back once, it was phone support so I say it was entirely justified. I just put in a resume at a local ISP/Computer repair place.

Borommakot on
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    photo.matthew_lesko.gif
    ?

Fabricate on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Let's see...

Hollywood Video, my first job, I was caught doing something stupid. And I was the assistant manager. Fired.

Kroger... Wasn't too bad until everyone stuck me on a register and left to go do other shit, leaving me with a line of pissed off people who yelled at me for not having other employees at other registers. I started not showing up for shifts until one day I just decided not to go back.

Target, overnight stock. This was a 2 to 10 job. On the second or third week, one day I slept in til 5 by accident. Fired.

UPS, where I was a package handler (make your jokes). It was an okay job. No customers. Just measuring and weighing packages. Shitty hours and shitty pay, but the people were alright. I ended up leaving because the hours were a god damn mess.

My next job was a receptionist position at some stupid company. I was their office bitch. "Clean this, go do that, fold these diagrams, etc etc." The bitch I worked for was a real stickler and if I was slightly off with anything, my ass would be handed to me verbally. I was intentionally late for several days until they were about to fire me and right before they could tell me to GTFO I told them to shove it.

My next job lasted a week. I was one of the customer helping assholes at Office Depot. I didn't really like anyone there, and they treated me like shit. They put me in a room to watch like 10 something 15 minute training videos. I fell asleep during the third one. Anyway, I just stopped showing up and told them to eat shit when they called.

My last job was for Batteries Plus. It was a good job. I got to sit on my ass for half of my shifts, browsing the intarwebs. The thing that pissed me off the most was my two bosses were husband and wife. They thought it'd be a swell idea to own a business together. This turned out to be a crock of shit as they were fighting back and forth whenever they were both in a room. I was usually in the middle. It'd be an empty, small little store, with me sitting there in the midst of two spouses fighting. I decided to leave and look for something better.

tardcore on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    tardcore wrote: »
    Let's see...
    Target, overnight stock. This was a 2 to 10 job. On the second or third week, one day I slept in til 5 by accident. Fired.

You would think a night shift employer would expect this to happen at least once.

jackal on
  • monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just got back from quitting my serving job at ihop.

First of all, I got a better job.

Second of all, they sent me home after a two hour shift for drinking a soda for less than 2 minutes in the break room when I had no tables. My boss tried telling me I needed to pay for it, so I pointed out that the company takes 10 cents an hour out of my pay (Which was only 2.13) for all the soda I want. After that, he blew up and sent me home.

Fuck that guy.

monsterror on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    koshian do you have a job yet
    my back get off onto it

faggit

Defender on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fabricate wrote: »
    photo.matthew_lesko.gif
    ?

that guy used to come into the cell phone store I worked at all the time

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • DakalDakal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just passed a training course for a security company I applied to. I dont find out if I got the job or not until Tuesday though.

Dakal on
  • ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have left on good terms from all my jobs.
    So yay me.

Zombot on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zombot wrote: »
    I have left on good terms from all my jobs.
    So yay me.
    Me too. H5

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've just upped and left from two kitchen jobs, for no reason other than I really didn't need the money at that time, and the managers/head chefs/bar staff were absolute dicks to work with. I'm currently working in Blockbusters for some extra cash until my student loan comes through, but the money's not bad and I actually like everyone I work with, so I'll probably stay for a while.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • FlavabeanFlavabean Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm in an indie rock band. No one can ever fire me, no one!

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Flavabean wrote: »

They can set fire to you. I hear that happens alot in the industry.

Bad-Beat on
    edited January 2008
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

The Arcade Fire!

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    monsterror wrote: »
    I just got back from quitting my serving job at ihop.

First of all, I got a better job.

Second of all, they sent me home after a two hour shift for drinking a soda for less than 2 minutes in the break room when I had no tables. My boss tried telling me I needed to pay for it, so I pointed out that the company takes 10 cents an hour out of my pay (Which was only 2.13) for all the soda I want. After that, he blew up and sent me home.

Fuck that guy.

That guy's a cunt.

Is it koser to eat there and conspire with former employees to make his life worse?

Seriously on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

The Arcade Fire!

you

Bad-Beat on
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    That's a good band name

Fabricate on
    edited January 2008
    Fabricate wrote: »
    That's a good band name

My band is called 'Caesar has Seizures'. We thrash the metal till it becomes real rusty and dangerous and then we thrash it some more.

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    May get fired tommorow! YEY!

Saturday the register was $270 under... (a register shared between 3 of us)

But I'm pretty sure someone (cough, new kid, cough) just hit the "00" button instead of the "0" on something. It's pretty stupid that we have a button to do 2 0's instead of just pushing 0 twice, but w/e.

Anyway, I wont get fired unless the higher uppers of the university get annoyed (my boss is pretty relaxed and wouldn't)

Wezoin on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wezoin wrote: »
    May get fired tommorow! YEY!

Saturday the register was $270 under... (a register shared between 3 of us)

But I'm pretty sure someone (cough, new kid, cough) just hit the "00" button instead of the "0" on something. It's pretty stupid that we have a button to do 2 0's instead of just pushing 0 twice, but w/e.

Anyway, I wont get fired unless the higher uppers of the university get annoyed (my boss is pretty relaxed and wouldn't)
    Sharing registers is stupid for that very reason.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    I used to work at FYE a few years ago. I had it good for a while, I was head of the games section, and got like 35 hours a week. Then they closed one of the stores in another mall about 8 miles away, and transferred all the employees to our store. The problem, they didn't increase the total number of allotted work-hours for our store. So everybody who wasn't a manager got their hours cut. The result, I was down to 10 hours a week. After 2 weeks of that garbage, I'm taking care of the game stock, and the person who was supposed to relieve the cashier didn't go in to work that day, so I'm doing that too. Actually, it turned out that nobody on second shift showed up that day except me, the manager and his sniveling little sidekick (neither of which wanted to do any real work). So I'm basically doing everything at the same time. Then this woman comes up to buy this game and it's the last one. So, I'm explaining to her how the whole gutting process works, and she keeps bitching about the sticker that says "This box is empty". After about 20 minutes of arguing with this woman (and a like of about 30 people forming behind her), I just tell her to fuck off, walk in the back, change my close, tell the fatass manager who had been hiding back there exactly what I thought of him and left.

Instead of running the store for 4 more hours or trying to call in one of the 15 fucking employees not at work that day, he just closed the store for the day right after I left.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm currently working a okay job at Gamestop part-time.

Waiting to be interviewed by the university I graduated from for an IT manager-ish job that pays roughly 32k a year. Low for what I'd be doing typically, but you have to remember that where I live, you can get a three-bedroom apartment for $350 a month plus utilities. I would basically be a millionaire by rural PA standards.

Current plan is to get this job (I am pretty much a lock for the job, based on the retard graduates that have been hired in the past, having two of my former university bosses backing me up with references, and being that awesome), split rent on an entire house with someone, do whatever the fuck I want for two or three years, pay off debts, build a nest egg, then move back to NJ with lots of experience.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
    edited January 2008
    classy

Abracadaniel on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i have had my hours reduced to 12 - 18 hours a week if that

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    TxdoHawk wrote: »
    I'm currently working a okay job at Gamestop part-time.

Waiting to be interviewed by the university I graduated from for an IT manager-ish job that pays roughly 32k a year. Low for what I'd be doing typically, but you have to remember that where I live, you can get a three-bedroom apartment for $350 a month plus utilities. I would basically be a millionaire by rural PA standards.

Current plan is to get this job (I am pretty much a lock for the job, based on the retard graduates that have been hired in the past, having two of my former university bosses backing me up with references, and being that awesome), split rent on an entire house with someone, do whatever the fuck I want for two or three years, pay off debts, build a nest egg, then move back to NJ with lots of experience.
    What's your degree in? And why work at Gamestop instead of Game Crazy? I've seen people in Game Crazy literally play video games all day because of the lack of customers. I usually go to one every weekend just to shoot the breeze.

FreddyD on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've never been fired, In fact, I've currently got two places fighting over me.

It's mostly because I'm so good at things.

#pipe on
  • TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    What's your degree in?

Business Information Systems. It's basically the computing major for people who hate programming. Very generic catch-all business and computing major that looks nice and has a lot of job options, but gives you no real skills. Now that my fake education is over with, I am working on catching up with my real one...at the moment I am trying to learn the basics of SQL.
    And why work at Gamestop instead of Game Crazy?

Closest one to me is about an hour and a half away. This particular Gamestop is staffed by a very laid-back manager, and we're in a slowly dying mall that has terrible foot traffic...so things are much better than at your average Gamestop.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Never got fired from a job, but I quit my first job because I had to move. Now Im making about $25 an hour being a commission salesperson at the local Future Shop.

It probably actually adds up to more than that because I save so much with my employee discount. For example yesterday I bought an open box (used) laptop that was fairly decent for $150.

Shurakai on
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heh, wow. let me attempt to recall all the jobs i had.

Sonic (fast food)- Boss was a guy i knew in high school. total dick. Made me juice limes for HOURS, the damned machine was so rickety that it vibrated like mad, and made my arms numb. Also, he knew that i got rides (i was 16) and would terminate my shift 15-20 minutes in. Just long enough so that they were gone, but not long enough that i'd get anything on my check. mind you, this is before cellphones were even mildly popular. i quit when i moved to nebraska

Bakers (food store) - was a register monkey. not bad, but they had this stupid fucking thing where they wanted you to memorize fruit, and then they tested you. that and the fact that i had 4 - 6 bosses. one of them a man hating bulldog lesbian. God she would suck up to all the girls/ladies there, but if you were a guy, you were enemy #1. Other guys, not so bad, but i got yelled at for say "dude no!" when one was going to press "cash" on a check-based action. I quit after a 14 hour day, i was promised a bonus, and never received one, not major, but the straw that broke the camels back.

Golf LLC (country club) - This rickety, rotting barn, across from my street had been renovated ad made into a country club to go with the golf course that surrounded my neighborhood. Working there was okay i guess, i brought people the food and took the crap away, and sent the dishes to washers. Worst story - there was bbq chicken in the fridge, but the wedding party wanted sweet and sour or something. so what did they do? they took the chicken, and *put it through the dishwasher* and put sweet and sour on it. **UUUGH** needless to say after my co-workers got their 4th smoke break, and I had been yelled at for having a roll, i quit that joint.

More to come later

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty