As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LewiePs Mummy painting for Penny Arcade forum. NSF56k

LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hello folks,
You may know me from G&T's Secret Santa thread - I painted ICO artwork for LewiePs Santee, and a few people have asked me to paint stuff for them, I've agreed to do so, for donations to Oxfam Unwrapped (plus postage and materials).
I've started the first one, for Jam Warrior, ICO again, and decided to post in progress pics. Feedback very welcome, cos I can always improve!

Here's the pencil outline for ICO

Here's the background started

Penny arcade painting list.

1. Jam warrior Ico, Jan 08 :lol:
2. Centipeed, SOTC, Feb 08 :lol:
3. Zarcath, Larhal, March 08 :lol:
4. Melatonin, FF VIII, April 08 :lol:
5. Bionic Monkey, Cherry blossom, May 08 :lol: Okami 2 Nov 08 :lol:
6. Toxk 02 Ico May 08 :lol:
7. Defrag, The thief, Jun 08 :lol:
8. Pharezon :lol: and Lewisham :lol: August 08
9. Mr Bubbles Bioshock, Happy New Year 1959 Sept 08 :lol:
10. Musiqua Okami - wolf in bamboo forest Oct 08 :lol:
11. Oz Solid Snake Nov 08 :lol:
12. Zeromus, Green Arrow Nov 08 :lol:
13. Joshua Washke, no pic yet Dec 08 - not contacted me.
14. Hylian Bunny, Fable 2, Jan 09 :lol:
15. Ben Jacobs, Terra, Jan 09 :lol:
16. Megaman 001 large Spikey Colossus Feb 09 :lol:
17. Nova_C beyond good and evil March 09 :lol:
18. Tnman no pic April 09
19. Thetheroo May 09 :lol:
20. Regicid3 June 09 - on hold, he's on basic training, but will queue jump as soon as he's finished. :lol:
21. Rehab July 09 :lol:
22. Aethelred August 09 :lol:
23. trueheretix Sept 09.
24. Druhim no, changed his mind.
25. 1ddqd, November 09 , Mirror's Edge :lol: except it got damaged :(
26. Look Out it's Sabs! December 09: Fables :lol:
27. Just_Bri_Thanks January 2010 FFXI :lol:
28. StarGuarded Feb 2010 :lol:
30. Bobcesca April 2010 :lol:
29. Geod May 2010 :lol:
30. Sir Landshark, June 2010. Didn't contact me. Twice.
31. DarkPrimus, July 2010. :lol:
32. Hamju, August 2010 :lol:
33. vegeta_666, September 2010
34. Darian, September 2010 :lol: except it got damaged :(
35. Wibod, October 2010

I've temporarily frozen the list, I'll defrost it in summer 2010, i didn't expect this level of demand at all!!, and don't want to feel overwhelmed by it - i don't currently.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
LewieP's Mummy on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's my job to do complicated links and stuff.

If anyone else is interested in my Mum doing some painting for them, send an email to [email protected],

For people who she is doing stuff for, and you want to buy things from Oxfam Unwrapped, head here.

These are her paintings so far -

ICO artwork
    215576653198bfedfa8cjz2.jpg
    21557673259775fd2e7cig0.jpg

photo0063xf0hd1.jpg

Kid A artwork
    n761619580248253646ct3.jpg

Shadow of the Colossus
    sotcarrivedzy6ts9.jpg

Laharl/Disgaea
    2002666566786267944rsyz4.jpg
    laharl2zj3.jpg

Final Fantasy VII
    2006070928139671691rsttqd9.jpg
    red13je6br3.jpg

Ōkami
    bionicmonkeyfinishedcy9.jpg
    okamiwolffinishedbb5oy7.jpg
    lewishamokamifinishediv9.jpg
    okamibambooforestfinishro4.jpg
    bionicmonkey2finishedevnq4.jpg

Tribute to Resident0
    residentofinished1qs2.jpg

Professor Layton
    proflaytonfinishedta2qd4.jpg

Theif
    defragfinished1fi0.jpg

Bioshock
    bioshockfinishedow1.jpg

Halo 3
    pharezonfinishedbq8.jpg

Braid
    braidfinishedln7.jpg

World of Goo
    worldofgooxn3.jpg

The Green Arrow
    greenarrowfinished2ks8.jpg

Metal Gear Solid
    ozmillspicfinishedbr7.jpg

Fable 2
    hylianbunnyfinished1eo3.jpg

Final Fantasy 6
    benjacobsfinishedne3.jpg

More SOTC
    megaman001finalfinished.jpg

Beyond Good and Evil
    beyondgoodevilfinished.jpg

Even more SOTC
    thetheroofinished1.jpg

More Ōkami
    bionicmonkey3finished2.jpg

I will update this as she does more.

LewieP on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey, but I've just learnt how to do hyperlinks and use control and v to paste ... there's hope for me yet!!!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    That ICO painting is pretty groovy! Do you have any more pics of any of your finished work from a more straight on perspective?

As for the nature of this thread, I don't see a problem with it. As far as I care thread can stick around a bit and live or die by its own merits. ;-)

Also, what is Oxfam Unwrapped?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That ICO painting is pretty groovy! Do you have any more pics of any of your finished work from a more straight on perspective?

As for the nature of this thread, I don't see a problem with it. As far as I care thread can stick around a bit and live or die by its own merits. ;-)

Also, what is Oxfam Unwrapped?

This

Basically, if you do something for this charity, she makes a painting. Consider it akin to the Childs Play Charity Dinner. Getting something nice out of doing something good.

Hmm... maybe someone from Penny Arcade's company should get in contact. A good painting might go for a few bob at the next charity dinner.

...and the image she doesn't know the source of is WoW. It's a picture of my character in front of the Dark Portal.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited January 2008
    I'll update my post with a front on Pic of the ICO painting she did for me.

Ross Mills hit the nail pretty much on the head. Oxfam unwrapped is a gift service Oxfam run, they sell stuff that they need for their Developmental/Aid charity work, like education tools or water supply.

LewieP on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hot dang. Front of the queue and I get to watch it appear before my eyes? T'is my lucky day indeed.

I (and apparently a pair of giraffes) watch on in excitement.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am shocked that no-one has asked for Okami art. I do look forward to watching these paintings come to fruition, though.

area on
    edited January 2008
    OK, I can't ask this without revealing my total n0013-ness, so I'm sorry, very sorry, very, very sorry, but ... what is Okami art?

LewieP's Mummy on

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    OK, I can't ask this without revealing my total n0013-ness, so I'm sorry, very sorry, very, very sorry, but ... what is Okami art?

Okami is a game for the PS2 that was best known for it's fantastic art style. For example: this

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    edited January 2008
    Wow, thanks!

LewieP's Mummy on

• melatoninmelatonin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ooh, cool. I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread; I'm number five on the list, but it'll be fascinating to see the progress shots of the four before me.

For those interested, here's the SOTC shot I picked (one of the non-box art ones):

shadowofthecolossus2005jl2.jpg

Considering I have a few months before (the amazingly talented and lovely) Mrs. LewieP starts on mine, and taking into account she's been given four SOTC artworks to do, would anyone object if I asked for alternative suggestions for my painting? I was initially looking at getting something from FF7 done, but the most appropriate shot I could find was this:

ff7bg08mv4.jpg

...which I wasn't sure would make a good painting or not. Curse my lack of artistic vision. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? I do love that Okami shot, but I'd really like to get something done from... a game I've... actually... played...

I know, I know...

(if anyone finds a Deus Ex shot that would make for a good painting, I'll e-love you forever.)

melatonin on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just wanted to pop in and say this is awesome.

I really look forward to seeing some of the results. Holy crap, I might actually use thread subscription for once!

Also, LewieP's Mom, can I jsut send you a private message instead of infracting Lewie P from now on?

Accualt on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    melatonin wrote: »
    Ooh, cool. I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread; I'm number five on the list, but it'll be fascinating to see the progress shots of the four before me.

For those interested, here's the SOTC shot I picked (one of the non-box art ones):

shadowofthecolossus2005jl2.jpg

Considering I have a few months before (the amazingly talented and lovely) Mrs. LewieP starts on mine, and taking into account she's been given four SOTC artworks to do, would anyone object if I asked for alternative suggestions for my painting? I was initially looking at getting something from FF7 done, but the most appropriate shot I could find was this:
    ff7bg08mv4.jpg

...which I wasn't sure would make a good painting or not. Curse my lack of artistic vision. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? I do love that Okami shot, but I'd really like to get something done from... a game I've... actually... played...

I know, I know...

(if anyone finds a Deus Ex shot that would make for a good painting, I'll e-love you forever.)
    I think the inside of that church could make a good painting. Maybe if Mrs.P could put Aeris in there, standing at the door or something, so it wasn't just an empty church.
    I think a painting of Alexander from FFIX could be cool. Particularly the shot right before he waxes Bahamut. But then, Alexander is my favorite of the summons from the FF series.
    Link
    In particular, 39 seconds (Bahamut and Alexander facing off), 46 seconds (Alexander opening his can of whupass) and 1:06 (alexander relaxing after a hard 20 seconds of whupping ass)

see317 on
    edited January 2008
    A_ccualt wrote: »

I really look forward to seeing some of the results. Holy crap, I might actually use thread subscription for once!

Also, LewieP's Mom, can I jsut send you a private message instead of infracting Lewie P from now on?
    Yep, Lewie has shown me how to do that now - good job he has, as he's off back to Stockton tomorrow.

LewieP's Mummy on

• ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for doing this Mrs.P. I can't wait to see what mine will look like :D

Zarcath on
    edited January 2008

Man, you've infracted me once, you say that as if I am a regular offender.
    please don't tell on me, I'll be your friend.

LewieP on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I also have a painting in the queue, at number 3 I believe. I was both surprised and not surprised at all that so many people have asked for paintings of Shadow of the Colossus, as I did. It's an easy choice, I guess.

Here is the image I chose (Sans words or logos, of course): http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L10023615.jpg

The art style of this piece versus the original ICO piece that got everyone so riled up and eager to request are quite different. SOTC stuff tends to be more busy, so I can imagine it'd be harder to paint. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, because looking at that picture, it's not something I'd like to even attempt to paint.

Centipeed on
    edited January 2008
    You know what is weird.

With ICO, the USA and PAL/Japanese box art was completely different. With SOTC, they had the same artwork, but with a different colour pallette - USA/PAL

LewieP on
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    You know what is weird.

With ICO, the USA and PAL/Japanese box art was completely different. With SOTC, they had the same artwork, but with a different colour pallette - USA/PAL

Ugh. I don't know who suggested that they should use the ICO box art they did in the USA, but that's horrendous compared to the PAL box art.

Centipeed on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Man, you've infracted me once, you say that as if I am a regular offender.
    please don't tell on me, I'll be your friend.

I was just joshin', I didn't even remember that I'd infracted you before.

Friendship and a little name drop about a painting? *wink, nudge, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, winudge, nunk*

Accualt on
    edited January 2008
    it's all good in the hood.

LewieP on
    edited January 2008
    He probably deserves infracting on a regular basis, just to keep him on his toes, so feel free!!!

LewieP's Mummy on

edited January 2008
    Next set of pics of ICO:-

redone sky - wasn't happy with it

1000527eo3.jpg

Arches on right and start of shadow on sand

1000529qm0.jpg

And yes, I do leave the hardest bit to the last!! And yes, its the windmill blades and ICO and Yorda!!!

LewieP's Mummy on

• gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lookin' good, Mrs. P! Thanks for the update!

gilrain on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Blimey, it's coming on quick. And awesome.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2008
    So, in looking at the new Forum that just opened up, they mentioned that this thread is news-worthy because it's interesting and people might want to know about it. Then I hit upon this gem:
    Varega wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    LewieP's mother made a painting for Gabe and Tycho, it looks wicked. She's doing more paintings for Oxfam now. Check it out and maybe get some yourself? http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46666
    (I'm not sure if that's still possible, actually. :? )

LewieP's Mum now has a 6 month backorder worth of work. She's also very particular about what type of paintings she will do, and a good guesstimate of the price is around 300 dollars +. She was taking cash or buying things off of Oxfam Unwrapped as payment as well. Her work is very good, link is here. Most people have honestly been impressed by the quality in G&T, unfortunately I don't know about The Artist's Corner.

Where the hell did this $300+ estimate come from? I never got that impression.

Centipeed on
    edited January 2008
    All I can think of is in the Secret Santa thread, gilrain said he would happily pay $100-400 + costs for a painting. Her response was "Instead, cover my costs, and then spend whatever you would have paid to me on Oxfam Unwrapped."

As far as I am aware, the deal is "Pay costs, and then spend whatever you can afford/want to at Oxfam Unwrapped"

Her exact wording -
    OK, don't really know how to phrase this ... if you've lots of money, buy stuff off oxfam unwrapped, if you've not, I'll paint anyway. We used to be very poor, and now we're not - we have money left at the end of every month, therefore, by my reckoning, we're rich, we don't need more, I'd only buy more chocolate then waste it by going to weight watchers or some such!!

Yes, I think I'll need to filter requests though, maybe I'll do the prettiest ones first, and leave boring ones til later??! And maybe by location as well, so UK first, although I nearly came to Seattle last year with my job, perhaps I'll work on a US trip again.

Unless she has said something else in emails, this should still be the case.

LewieP on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just got directed here from the News Thread. I gotta say, those paintings are impressive! Great job! I'd love to have one in the Okami style. Guess I gotta play the game first though... waiting on the Wii version.

Geod on
    edited January 2008
    Geod wrote: »
    Guess I gotta play the game first though... waiting on the Wii version.

Same here, if the Wii version reviews well I will probably pick it up, if not, I will get the PS2 version on the cheap.

LewieP on
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »
    So, in looking at the new Forum that just opened up, they mentioned that this thread is news-worthy because it's interesting and people might want to know about it. Then I hit upon this gem:
    Varega wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    LewieP's mother made a painting for Gabe and Tycho, it looks wicked. She's doing more paintings for Oxfam now. Check it out and maybe get some yourself? http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46666
    (I'm not sure if that's still possible, actually. :? )

LewieP's Mum now has a 6 month backorder worth of work. She's also very particular about what type of paintings she will do, and a good guesstimate of the price is around 300 dollars +. She was taking cash or buying things off of Oxfam Unwrapped as payment as well. Her work is very good, link is here. Most people have honestly been impressed by the quality in G&T, unfortunately I don't know about The Artist's Corner.

Where the hell did this $300+ estimate come from? I never got that impression.

Ack, sorry guys, I took gilrain's comment as fact. My bad. However, I will be watching this thread, I really do enjoy this.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
    edited January 2008
    Hello guys, just to clarify/confirm LewiePs post, no I don't want to be paid, just meet my costs - materials and postage, nothing else. Instead, go to Oxfam Unwrapped,

Oxfam Unwrapped

(OK, attempt no. 2 to do hyperlink, probably got it wrong)

and buy something from there for someone who needs stuff more than me!!!! Honestly, you should see the amount of stuff we have, its ridiculous.

Each pic will work out at about £10/$20 for materials, postage depends on where you live, I'll check when i've finished each pic.

Thank you for all your appreciative comments, I'm so happy you like what I'm doing, I really enjoy painting. I'm definitely going to have to track down Sue Yarker (my art teacher who said I was no good), just to say yah, boo, sucks, or some such thing.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited January 2008
    Blimey, it's coming on quick. And awesome.
    2 more photos on their way tomorrow

LewieP's Mummy on

• Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Another one sent over from the news thread. Absolutely astounding work. The news thread mentioned that you're six months backlogged and not taking any more commissions at the moment. Is that the case?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Totally totally awesome. You are awesome LP's mummy.

Lave II on
    edited January 2008
    Another one sent over from the news thread. Absolutely astounding work. The news thread mentioned that you're six months backlogged and not taking any more commissions at the moment. Is that the case?
    Hi, I pm'd you, but to let others know, its not a backlog, its a queue, to help me manage it all; I plan to do 1 per month, otherwise I'll spend all my spare time painting, as opposed to reading PA stuff! (and the odd day at work).

Also, I'm finding it impossible to load pics of progress onto imageshack - it keeps timing out, anyone have any sugestions? - that aren't complicated as lewiep is back at uni. Thanks folks.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited January 2008
    Hi, I pm'd you, but to let others know, its not a backlog, its a queue, to help me manage it all; I plan to do 1 per month, otherwise I'll spend all my spare time painting, as opposed to reading PA stuff! (and the odd day at work).

Also, I'm finding it impossible to load pics of progress onto imageshack - it keeps timing out, anyone have any sugestions? - that aren't complicated as lewiep is back at uni. Thanks folks.

It's a bit of a roundabout solution, but to avoid any hassle on your part, you could email them to someone like myself and then I could post them for you. But it'd be nice for you if you could post the images along with some text, I'd imagine, so it's not a perfect solution by any means.

It might just be a temporary problem with Imageshack. Maybe try again later and see if the problem persists.

Centipeed on
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the offer, its really kind of you. I've tried 5 different image loader thingys with no success - I'm too tired now, so I'm giving up for tonight. I'll try again tomorrow, and if I still can't do it, I'll email the pics to you with text, off to bed now, its far too late to be even attempting stuff this hard (at least for me!)

LewieP's Mummy on

edited January 2008
    You're still up at 3.23am?

I only just got in from a nightclub, you should have been in bed for ages.

LewieP on
    edited January 2008
    Woooooooooooow, who's the parent here? Couldn't sleep, couldn't sort out image shack, I note you haven't offered help my boy, and I bet you're zzzzzzing now.
    Still can't sort out image shack, but I have been to bed. I'll try later.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited January 2008
    haha, I was totally joking.

If you want to email me either the images you are struggling to upload, or email me about the problem you are having I'll try and sort it out.

LewieP on