As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic 1/21/2008 - Prehistoric Mexico

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pretty far.

No need for 'I told you so's

Still waitin' for a rad game

Abracadaniel on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish to god I could find something to hold my interest on the wii

smash bros is the only thing keeping me from selling the fucker

Seriously?

I would buy your Wii from you, Shoe.

really

I mean I'd have to charge you more than I paid for it

you know

so it didn't feel like a total waste of a year of my life

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dumb Hero wrote: »
    Pretty far.

I do get bitched at by fifty people at a time when I say "I dunno, might just be a gimmicky fad," though. How many times have I been accused of "hating fun" in the name of the Wii specifically?

Defender on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I heard there was penguins in this game

Dadouw on
    edited January 2008
    prinnybig.jpg

DOOD!

Defender on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    well defender some of us thought it had potential

I still do, but I think it's gonna get pidgeonholed into this casual games bullshit for old people and myspace kids who think Sonic 1 is "too hard"

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Might have something to do with the fact that your opinion on the Wii is expressed in every alternate post.

TheySlashThem on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    Dumb Hero wrote: »
    Pretty far.

I do get bitched at by fifty people at a time when I say "I dunno, might just be a gimmicky fad," though. How many times have I been accused of "hating fun" in the name of the Wii specifically?

Yeah, alright, I suppose you do have a few 'I told you so's to dole out.

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2008

I still do, but I think it's gonna get pidgeonholed into this casual games bullshit for old people and myspace kids who think Sonic 1 is "too hard"

I thought that it had potential as well, but I said "hey, let's see where it actually goes, cause this could be anywhere from super-awesome to complete shitpile." Then I got bitched at for a full year. And now, oh hey, it's bullshit.

The reason it sold so many units wasn't because it was good, or had good games, it's because it was marketed well. That's kind of the reality for almost any console's first year. The marketing was aimed at non-gamers. It's not too hard to figure out that non-gamers don't buy games, and, of course, if you're making games for non-gamers, there's no benefit to making GOOD games because they don't know the difference. This sets up a scenario where shovelware is the best move, and where console owners aren't even going to buy very much anyway, so third-party devs get left in the cold. That's precisely the pidgeonholing you're describing, and it's the same marketing that got the huge install base that has created it. That and the fact that the system itself sucks, so it can't even play games like Bioshock or Uncharted or whatever.

Defender on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Since I got a 360, my Wii has been collecting dust, and I only have The Orange Box.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    I'm looking forward to this game, and have added it to my gamyfly "q"

my fiancee will fucking play the hell out of a game like this

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish to god I could find something to hold my interest on the wii

smash bros is the only thing keeping me from selling the fucker

That's how I felt after completing Galaxies, but then I picked up Fire Emblem yesterday. Good shit.

The Sneak! on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've bought and sold like 6 wii games, including zelda, and seem to be in the same boat. After loving puzzle quest on the ds, i got it for the wii. Big mistake. for one, the stylus is the best interface tool for that game. (ha, tool)

Also, they put in cooldowns of 2 turns for spells like stun, which is utter bullshit. Chaining stuns and such is what made late game puzzle quest fun against dudes with a billion hps.

Yeah, I'm waiting for smash, as I have been since like forever ago.

VC is a kinda fun, but as i don't know shit about sega/tg16 games, i've just picked up my snes favs and a couple nes games.

Meanwhile, i'd love to play dead rising, crackdown, ninja gaiden, gears, mass effect, bioshock, etc etc, but i can't afford another systems.

piss.

As for the comic, the art style is awesome, but it seems like they just kinda threw a bunch of words together for it.

redfenix on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    nerf jellyfish man wtf poison is bullshti

wait..
    "the sharks pose no threat"? wtf kind of pansy ass game is this.

we want sharks with fricken lasers and ableone that'll suck your face off and backstabbing ninja sea monkeys that steal your gold damn it.

jwalk on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't see whats so bad about Endless Ocean ....

So you swim around and look at fish right?

Sounds cool I guess.

I mean in FPSs you wander around pulling a trigger and in X game you wander around doing X right?

It's just a different thing to do on the Wii.

Xaquin on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I kinda want no more heroes

but I don't have a wii

oh well

PiptheFair on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

I thought that it had potential as well, but I said "hey, let's see where it actually goes, cause this could be anywhere from super-awesome to complete shitpile." Then I got bitched at for a full year. And now, oh hey, it's bullshit.

The reason it sold so many units wasn't because it was good, or had good games, it's because it was marketed well. That's kind of the reality for almost any console's first year. The marketing was aimed at non-gamers. It's not too hard to figure out that non-gamers don't buy games, and, of course, if you're making games for non-gamers, there's no benefit to making GOOD games because they don't know the difference. This sets up a scenario where shovelware is the best move, and where console owners aren't even going to buy very much anyway, so third-party devs get left in the cold. That's precisely the pidgeonholing you're describing, and it's the same marketing that got the huge install base that has created it. That and the fact that the system itself sucks, so it can't even play games like Bioshock or Uncharted or whatever.

Maybe its just me, but I've throughly enjoyed my Wii (well my Girl Friends Wii anyway) I played the shit out of Zelda, Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil UC, Ghost Squad, and we have Mario Party and Wii Sports parties every few weeks. I think the Wii has some really great games on it. Plus I have SSBB and No More Heroes to look forward to.

Oh also I enjoy going to my buddies house and showing everyone my mad Bonk's Adventure skills.

Bucketman on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ghost Squad is so fun.

How is Resident Evil UC?

Xaquin on
  • D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A Nazi joke on Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday?
    'PENNY ARCADE': WEB COMIC NOT SENSITIVE ABOUT 1/21

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • PusciferPuscifer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The only game I haver ever played on the Wii was that bowling game and after sucking at that shit, I promptly told my cousin to take his Wii and go fuck himself with that "Japanese casual gamer bullshit, cause fuck you, faggot".

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If I had a Wii I'd get Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Zack and Wiki, WarioWare, No More Heroes, Battalion Wars, Trauma Center, and Smash Bros when it comes out

at least those are the games that look the best to me

Centipede Damascus on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    And then you booted up CS 1.5, because everything else is pussy casual fagtendo shit.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited January 2008
    No, I booted up Mass Effect, since games that don't suck are awesome.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    I laughed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Puscifer wrote: »
    The only game I haver ever played on the Wii was that bowling game and after sucking at that shit, I promptly told my cousin to take his Wii and go fuck himself with that "Japanese casual gamer bullshit, cause fuck you, faggot".

How edgy you are.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have enjoyed every game I've bought for my Wii quite a bit but it does lack in the multiplayer department at the moment.

This will all change when Smash comes out and I can imagine playing it almost exclusively for months.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited January 2008
    Hahaha HOLY SHIT WHAT

Also I thought it was "kidtendo," when did the kids who played Nintendo grow up and turn out to be faggots?

Oh shit wait. That's...that's me.

Defender on
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish I could just rent a Wii for a month and then steal all of my friend's games.

Also I'm lookin forward to the PA game.

FrylockHolmes on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Comic needs more dagger-wielding seahorse.

MKR on
    edited January 2008
    Nintendo consoles pretty much live from the first party titles.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i made arsenic get the box down to show me yesterday
    i would be lying if i said i didn't want to play it

i really want to play it

i love the ocean

mully on
  • MatatatMatatat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was close to selling my Wii, but then I got Galaxy and became glad to own it, because damn that was a fun game.

Matatat on
    edited January 2008
    PotU wrote: »

Yeah, that's kind of the problem. There are a few really good games, although lately they've been fairly rinse-and-repeat, which is not always bad. But there just aren't enough games.

Defender on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wait, so this game isn't really an RPG? The concept of an RPG set underwater looking for Nazi secrets got me more excited than 90% of the actual RPGs out there ever have. Oh well, back to Mass Effect.

Defender, I sung a song about you in the SE++ band thread (somebody else wrote it), nobody has commented on it yet so I guess it doesn't suck or rock too hard

Ten on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nintendo hasn't been the same since they had to stop extorting game companies into censoring their titles and then selling them the distribution rights in order to manufacture the cartridges.

While I will never own a Nintendo Wii, I sure do wish I had a friend who owned one so I can play the new Super Smash Bros. I loved Melee.

TankHammer on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love my Wii and would never sell it
    I love the games I have for it and don't consider any part of it a disappointment
    Except
    I distinctly remember Nintendo saying they were going to try to have better relations with third party developers this go around
    Meanwhile they still seem to act as if they have an actual hatred for them
    They want be loved
    But it has to be on their terms
    Actually I wouldn't even mind that if it didn't mean I can't find any decent games for less than $50

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited January 2008

Yeah, that's kind of the problem. There are a few really good games, although lately they've been fairly rinse-and-repeat, which is not always bad. But there just aren't enough games.

Good games.

There aren't enough good games.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Puscifer wrote: »

How edgy you are.

Because you should certainly take what I said seriously.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you say so

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Ten0101 wrote: »
    Wait, so this game isn't really an RPG? The concept of an RPG set underwater looking for Nazi secrets got me more excited than 90% of the actual RPGs out there ever have. Oh well, back to Mass Effect.

Defender, I sung a song about you in the SE++ band thread (somebody else wrote it), nobody has commented on it yet so I guess it doesn't suck or rock too hard

Link? I have not been in there.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.