As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scientology is a crazy cult, but how crazy?

Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Alright so ever since Scientology became the new Hollywood fad it's gotten all kinds of press and discussion about its nature. South Park did a fairly popular satire on the subject which ridiculed its theology. Recently its gotten more hubub as this video of Tom Cruise has been leaked. Tom says some pretty creepy shit that pretty obviously shows that neither him nor Scientology is exactly normal. But I think the general public pretty much sees it as "lol that crazy Tom Cruise alien religion" and not for the seriously dangerous cult that it is.

Case in point, this recruitment video that was also recently leaked. Frankly the overcomplicated bureaucracy and the idolization of L. Ron Hubbard creep the fuck out of me. I mean seriously each Scientology building has a ceremonial office set up for the guy, what the fuck? Furthermore they're making up shit about how the government and all of psychology and psychiatry are part of a conspiracy to take them down in order to hide the truth, it all sounds like the rantings of a depraved lunatic.

And these fuckers are dangerous too. Take Lisa McPherson for example. A member of the church of Scientology, she was hospitalized for a minor car accident when the hospital noticed that she was mentally unstable and determined to get care for her. Members of the "church" checked her out of the hospital, and basically kidnapped her and held her while she went through and "Introspection Rundown" until she died of a Pulmonary embolism brought on by severe dehydration.

So I'm not expecting to get many people on these boards to support Scientology, but this is still an interesting topic that some discussion can be had from. How dangerous is Scientology to society at large, and for that matter cults in general? Why has it attracted such a large following, especially with celebrities (Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Issac Heyes, Beck, etc.) How has Scientology suckered in so many members? Is there anyway to defeat Scientology? Does this recent exposure help or hurt Scientology?

Ninja Bot on

• Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Crazy enough to kill Heath Ledger?

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It'll be a religion in another 300 years. Thatan Science will be a big deal that should be taught alongside Germ theory.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It'll be a religion in another 300 years. Thatan Science will be a big deal that should be taught alongside Germ theory.

And there will be the orthodox scientologists getting all bitchy about the new cyberpunk scientologists.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How crazy? Pretty fucking crazy, man.

I'd say it wouldn't be as crazy if you never, perhaps, had a passing acquaintance with either logic or any form of religion. Yes, both of them. I have no idea how it suckered in so many (famous) people. Maybe it's for the money? It hurts society very much because it's a mockery of a "religion" and it diminishes the purpose of established religions for devout believers.

It's a fucking science fiction novel for god sake. Are you kidding me?

/end Lewis Black rant

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Personally I think the increased exposure is helping. While most people think it's ridiculous, very few view it as something malicious. However there will be those who are exposed to Scientology who are gullible enough to be fooled into it. Due to its increased exposure, Scientology has the opportunity to recruit a much larger number of stupid people. Mind you I have no recruitment numbers to support this claim, but I think the CoS keeps a pretty tight grip on those statistics anyway.

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think it's any crazier than say.. Orthodox Judaism or Christian Scientists, pound for pound, they're all pretty out there. They're pretty hellbent on spreading their tentacles though, and their suing trigger finger must be getting awfully tired at this point.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »
    I don't think it's any crazier than say.. Orthodox Judaism or Christian Scientists, pound for pound, they're all pretty out there. They're pretty hellbent on spreading their tentacles though, and their suing trigger finger must be getting awfully tired at this point.

I'll give you that Christian Science is pretty fucked up, but I've never heard of it being as malicious as Scientology.
    A Suppressive Person or Group becomes fair game. By FAIR GAME is meant, may not be further protected by the codes and disciplines or the rights of a Scientologist....

ENEMY — SP Order. Fair game. May be deprived of property or injured by any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed

While Christian Scientists and other groups might hold pretty strange beliefs, I don't think any of them advocate killing someone deemed to be a "supressive person."

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm not sure how to defeat how to defeat it, but the war the Chans are waging probably isn't the way to go, although that's funnier.

I think Scientology attracts the rich people because the rich/celebrities usually have lots of personal problems, and it essentially promises that you can buy happiness.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I saw a documentary on some kid who was a Scientologist...he went a bit psychotic and the church wouldn't let his mother get him put into an institution.

He killed her and like 2 other people before committing suicide.

It was sad.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The money they rake in is what worries me.

As for how they could convince so many celebs how to get on board? That's arguable. Scientology is supposed to show you the "way" to being happy. Lot's of celebs are unhappy and have lot's of money, so they're perfect targets. Also, unfortunately there's plenty of rich people who are stupid and easily snookered into this con game. Then there's the rumors that they can "teach" you not to be gay which is supposedly why Travolta and Cruise signed on. Then there could be things like appeals to vanity so on and so forth.

The trick for them is they don't tell you about Xenu and that shit all at once, if they did they'd get laughed at.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    http://lexownshubbard.ytmnd.com/

Pretty much sums it up, eh?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's crazy. But then again, it is a religion, were you expecting level-headedness?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    hurf durf scientology is just as crazy as other religions I AM SO FUCKING EDGY

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So crazy.

What really gets me is the demonization of psychologists & psychiatrists. I mean -- really?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Waiting for Xenu to get kicked off a space-airplane for having Tom Cruise on a leash.

--

Mahn: You realize that's a specific tactic because shrinks are the exact people who could help people here?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jinnigan wrote: »

Edgy or uncontroversially accurate?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    L. Ron Hubbard graduated from my high school. The library is named after him.

No it isn't.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah guys Christianity and Islam and Buddhism and all the other religions in the world as just as malicious and selfish as scientology

What's Martin Luther ever done for me anyways

This kind of overgeneralizing and total refusal to examine people is not at all a bad thing

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

See, the thing about Scientology, it's philosophies aren't so extremly different from CHristianity. That's not what really sets it apart. What makes it stand out so much are it's practices.

Example; Every new member, if they wish to become a full-fledged Scientologist, must confess all of their lives' sins to a priest. Not that big a deal, right ? Except part of the ritual involves having a tape deck on hand recording everything you say. How quickly are you going to be willing to turn and betray the church, when they have a recording of you admitting to everything bad you've ever done?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pretty much. Why take the correct path and work through your problems (which takes WORK) or throw money at a bunch of people who promise an easier way?

Now why would the people behind the scenes view psychologist as a threat to their scam.

The entire "religion" was a scam by Hubbard to not die a Pauper. I wonder if he realized, or cared, about the damage he was going to cause.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah guys Christianity and Islam and Buddhism and all the other religions in the world as just as malicious and selfish as scientology

This kind of overgeneralizing and total refusal to examine people is not at all a bad thing

Man, you would never expect the Spanish Inquisition.

--

The only difference between Scientology and older religions is that it has learned from the past.

The Quran is like 5000x better than the Bible for getting its ideas in, and Scientology has a really great marketing method that allows them to gain power without dealing with normalcy.

It's also working really hard to get that old time Mystery sensation back that Christianity lost when it became mainstream.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Scientology is just as crazy as other crazy religions. Sabbath elevators and the E-Meter are equally ridiculous devices.

I'm saying that their beliefs are equal, not their accomplishments, so settle down spaz.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »

See, the thing about Scientology, it's philosophies aren't so extremly different from CHristianity.

yeah what

Scientology is just as crazy as other crazy religions. Sabbath elevators and the E-Meter are equally ridiculous devices.

oh hey there are some fucking nuts out there that happen to be religious

surely, without religion people will no longer be fucking retarded, also we will stop waging wars, also we will no longer kill people

stalin_color555.jpg

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

The funny thing is the Church of Scientology is the only religious organization in Canada to be charged and convicted of breaching the public trust (or anything else, for that matter).

James on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Ok so, my boyfriend has been hearing this stuff about being able to procure secret Scientology docs online.

He made a gmail account, went on a Scientology usenet thingy and posted asking about the docs.

2 hours later, his gmail account was shut down.

These people are fucked up. Just watch the videos/stories linked in this thread if you don't believe me. This ain't no religion, it's a cult and it's SCARY.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hay guys the fact that people are assholes no matter what means that religion is not stupid.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

See, the thing about Scientology, it's philosophies aren't so extremly different from CHristianity. That's not what really sets it apart. What makes it stand out so much are it's practices.

Example; Every new member, if they wish to become a full-fledged Scientologist, must confess all of their lives' sins to a priest. Not that big a deal, right ? Except part of the ritual involves having a tape deck on hand recording everything you say. How quickly are you going to be willing to turn and betray the church, when they have a recording of you admitting to everything bad you've ever done?

Dude the Church of Scientology is not a Christian organization just because they have the word "Church" in there.

James on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

What are you trying to say about Martin Luther exactly?

And what the hell are you on about with your over-generalising nonsense? There are plenty of scientologists who are not crazy, are perfectly nice and you wouldn't even know were scientologists until they started declaring things "up-stat" or something. Not every scientologist is some mouth frothing kidnap monkey - for many scientology is just another religion and anyone who grew up within the church will tell you as much, even if they've since left it.

The fact is that makes fundamentally crazy claims and that some people do ridiculous and horrible things because of their allegiance to it. Just like any other religion you care to name.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

See, the thing about Scientology, it's philosophies aren't so extremly different from CHristianity.

yeah what

It's relative. I'm not talking about how either religion got started, I'm speaking of the sort of things they preach in how people should live their lives. There are a few very big differences, but the majority of it isn't all that different from other mainstream faiths.

It's the practices of the church as a whole that really make them so obviously sinister and much more untrustworthy than other faiths.

Christ offers salvation freely, and the Christian Church (in pretty much all it's forms) emphasize this. Scientologists offer help for a price.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I still think those two Scientology books were written as a joke by Hubbard. Did he ever 'lead' Scientology? Or did he die before people started taking it seriously. I mean, he wrote Mission: Earth and published Dianetics in a freakin' sci-fi magazine.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008

yeah what

surely, without religion people will no longer be fucking retarded, also we will stop waging wars, also we will no longer kill people

http://clapso.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/stalin_color555.jpg

Yes, because replacing religion with another blind ideology and state worship is considered a huge step forward by everyone you're attempting to critique.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The kind of thinking that refuses to see both sides of a coin - in this case, religion - and insists on only seeing bad is the same kind of intolerance that led to racism. The refusal to see the benefits that religion provides is reminiscent of the kind of tunnel vision that one encounters when dealing with modern day "I'm not a racist but..." racists.

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

yeah what

Way to just take what I said, make some shit up, mix it together and run with it. All I said is that lots of people believe lots of crazy shit. Surely my next step was the eradication of all religious people.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's the practices of the church as a whole that really make them so obviously sinister and much more untrustworthy than other faiths.

Christ offers salvation freely, and the Christian Church (in pretty much all it's forms) emphasize this. Scientologists offer help for a price.

I strongly agree with this, actually. Most major religions are more or less the same in terms of philosophy, but the acts of the Church of Scientology themselves are suspect. One example would be the advent of independent scientologists, and how the Church has reacted to them.

James on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The kind of thinking that refuses to see both sides of a coin - in this case, religion - and insists on only seeing bad is the same kind of intolerance that led to racism. The refusal to see the benefits that religion provides is reminiscent of the kind of tunnel vision that one encounters when dealing with modern day "I'm not a racist but..." racists.

Wait. What?

A) Who said anything about benefits? We started out talking about how the beliefs and actions of scientologists were not qualitatively distinct from any other religion.

B) You're complaining about "not seeing both sides of the coin" while you just issued a blanket statement about the maliciousness and sinister nature of the Church of Scientology.

C) I'm curious as to how you're going to defend the analogy between deciding that religion, on the whole is not well founded and on the balance a harmful force with racism, modern or otherwise. Please, elucidate, make clear exactly the steps involved in that argument. I am agog.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Way to just take what I said, make some shit up, mix it together and run with it. All I said is that lots of people believe lots of crazy shit. Surely my next step was the eradication of all religious people.

Actually, the key fact here is that stalin was an atheist

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

The missing link in this puzzle is the fact that Stalin was in no way motivated by nor justified his actions through his atheism. You'll find that it was his totalitarian ideology that he relied upon. They are not the same things.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

You realize that Scientologists are also atheist, right?

And that the key is not that they believe in a deity, but that they believe in batshit insane things?

Batshit insane doesn't need pixie dust.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know religion isn't unique in purporting belief without evidence or logic, just the worlds largest purveyor and most accepted justification.

electricitylikesme on
This discussion has been closed.