As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portable USB hubs?

KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up inthe Undercity.Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking around for portable hubs that add 2-4 extra USB ports out of a single one for use with my laptop. Unfortunately, most of the ones i've seen require an addition external power adapter, which isn't even included in most cases. Are there any hubs that just draw power from the original USB port?

On second thought it doesn't really make any sense that a hub would somehow be able to suck 4 times the normal amount of power through a single USB port... is it just not possible? Do all USB hubs have an external power source?

KalTorak on

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You aren't looking hard enough. Many of these don't need external power, and some of them can work with or without it.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There are 2 kinds of USB hubs, Powered and Unpowered.

Powered USB hubs let you transfer data as well as power, which can be used to say recharge and iPod / phone while it is plugged in. All powered USB hubs require an external plug to get power from, because as you reasoned, they can't magically multiply the original USB ports power by 2 (or 4 or more).

Unpowered USB hubs just let you transfer data. So while you will still be able to sync an iPod, it won't also recharge while plugged in. Some devices require powered USB hubs to operate, but most don't.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png