As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deleted

2»

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Serpent wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Are you guys pretty cool with just watching all this from the outside and not having a say yourselves?

We're used to it. We do it all the time with american elections.

Move south. It is so much fun living in the goldfish bowl with everyone having an opinion about you.

When is the next round of voting taken for the leadership?

Shinto on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    When is the next round of voting taken for the leadership?

Second ballot happened already:
    Michael Ignatieff
    1,481 31.6%

Bob Rae
    1,132 24.1%

Stéphane Dion
    974 20.8%

Gerard Kennedy
    884 18.8%

Ken Dryden
    219 4.7%

Dryden withdrew, put support behind Rae.
    Kennedy withdrew, put support behind Dion.

So, in theory, Dion is the new front runner

New vote going on now.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Woo, go Dion! He's pretty much going to win now.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Third Ballot:

Dion 37%
    Ignatieff 34.5%
    Rae 28.5%

Looks like Dion will take it (as I had hoped all along).

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It's weird that Rae didn't throw his support behind either. Doesn't seem like the act of a leader to me.

Oh and Ken Dryden's pins are the best: "Ken Dryden garde les buts des Canadiens" :D.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    D-CardD-Card Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    A lot of the Rae delegates seem to be supporting Dion now. This make my heart a-flutter.

D-Card on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    CBC's coverage of this is just painful. They could have used some better reporters on the floor.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zoolander wrote:
    CBC's coverage of this is just painful. They could have used some better reporters on the floor.

Belinda's lookin good though.

:winky:

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Al_wat wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:

That's true

Zoolander on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ignatieff was a supporter of the Iraq war, which pretty thouroughly eliminates him from my book.

edit: and he also supports US missile defence shield. Which further ruins my opinion of the man.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So looks like Dion's it. I watched at the end, where they were showing both his and Ignatieff's faces as the results were read, and MAN did Ignatieff ever look like a smug fucker. Dion looked confident but almost serene, Ignatieff looked like an impatient 6 year old in church or something.

I don't know too much about Dion, but from what little I've read I think he'll do well. He seems focused on environmental issues, which are going to be a major concern in the next election, I think. Harper's days are numbered now that the Liberals have a real leader!

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Speak for yourself. The country doesn't need Harper-lite.
    I don't like the accusation that he's no different than Harper - for one he's not a social conservative at all. I consider Ignatieff to be a pretty solid liberal. Though I did notice last night during his speech that he totally has a strong Dr. Evil-esque twang in his voice. Maybe it's just an Ontario thing (though Myers' family is Scottish and the Ignatieff's are Russian).
    Socially, probably not. But when you're constructing elaborate justifications for indefinite detention and other Bush exercises in insanity, my interpretation is that he'd be little different than Harper in terms of giving Bush the lead in our foreign policy.
    But I'm not really committed anyway. I'm happy with Dion, though apparently plenty of surveys are showing that Ignatieff would fare much better in an election.
    I think Dion's a decent consensus pick (and really, this is why we need a preferential voting system in general elections).

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zoolander wrote:
    Al_wat wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:

That's true
    That traitorous dog?

[spoiler:9ad63d5889]I'd hit it.[/spoiler:9ad63d5889]

Azio on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I only saw a bit of this tonight, but when I did watch a little bit when they had Jean Chretin up there talking. Kinda funny seeing him making remarks against Harper.

"Steven, can I call you Steve like George Bush?"

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    This is only tangentially connected, but speaking of party leadership races and preferential voting, an enormous long-shot just won the Alberta PC leadership and became premier.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    This is only tangentially connected, but speaking of party leadership races and preferential voting, an enormous long-shot just won the Alberta PC leadership and became premier.

Really? It wasn't the Finance Minister?

saggio on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:

From what I heard, it was a three-way race between (I forget names):
    1) Moderate guy endorsed by Klein
    2) Right-wing extremist that makes Klein look like a Liberal
    3) Some other guy that didn't stand a chance on his own but might win if everyone who doesn't like #2 votes for him.

So who won?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GodGod Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/12/03/alta-tories.html
    CBC wrote:
    Albertans woke Sunday to a new premier-designate — Ed Stelmach, a 55-year-old soft-spoken farmer who beat former finance minister Jim Dinning after a second weekend of voting by Progressive Conservative party members.

Dinning and rookie backbencher Ted Morton, a southern Alberta backbencher who was policy director for the Canadian Alliance party, were in first and second place entering Saturday's vote for the provincial Tory leadership.

They were trailed by Stelmach, a former intergovernmental affairs minister from the northern Alberta riding of Fort Saskatchewan-Vegreville.

I really have no idea about this race, but yeah, he does sound like a longshot. Any other commentary?

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    God wrote:
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/12/03/alta-tories.html
    CBC wrote:
    Albertans woke Sunday to a new premier-designate — Ed Stelmach, a 55-year-old soft-spoken farmer who beat former finance minister Jim Dinning after a second weekend of voting by Progressive Conservative party members.

Dinning and rookie backbencher Ted Morton, a southern Alberta backbencher who was policy director for the Canadian Alliance party, were in first and second place entering Saturday's vote for the provincial Tory leadership.

They were trailed by Stelmach, a former intergovernmental affairs minister from the northern Alberta riding of Fort Saskatchewan-Vegreville.

I really have no idea about this race, but yeah, he does sound like a longshot. Any other commentary?

Jim Dinning whom had support from a number of elected ministers sounds like number 1, he had much of his support in the urban area and big business but was lacking in the rural parts of Alberta.
    Ted Morton sounds very pro-Alberta, social conservative and in many ways very similar to Stephen Harper so he's probally the 2nd one.
    Ed Stelmach did sound like the long shot of the three but got enough of the votes to pass Morton. Once Morton was dropped most his supporters switched to Stelmach.

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

From what I heard, it was a three-way race between (I forget names):
    1) Moderate guy endorsed by Klein
    2) Right-wing extremist that makes Klein look like a Liberal
    3) Some other guy that didn't stand a chance on his own but might win if everyone who doesn't like #2 votes for him.

So who won?
    #3.

#2 scared the shit out of a lot of PCers, apparently, because he was well to the right of Klein, and he could well have ended the multi-decade PC hegemony here.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Azio wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    Al_wat wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:

That's true
    That traitorous dog?

[spoiler:cd062fb9a1]I'd hit it.[/spoiler:cd062fb9a1]
    [spoiler:cd062fb9a1]Me too :( [/spoiler:cd062fb9a1]

I'm actually pretty happy with Stephane Dion. What I've read and seen of him I like, and I'm optimistic that he'll continue to impress. He strikes me as very genuine.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    LeeLee Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zoolander wrote:
    It's weird that Rae didn't throw his support behind either. Doesn't seem like the act of a leader to me.

I'd read an article about how and how he said he didn't want to choose the leader, which he'd basically be doing if he supported someone and asked his delegates to follow his lead. They could ignore him, of course, but it still wouldn't have looked good.

Lee on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Progressive Conservative?

You confuse me Canada.

Shinto on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Its ok, they aren't called that anymore. Its now just the plain old Conservative Party.

Though I did like it when at one time their party proposed a name change whose acronym would have been CRAP. :D

On topic: I didn't like Ignatief much at all (someone who hasn't actually lived in the country for a long time sort of disqualifies themself from being a suitable leader for a national political party IMO), so I'm glad to see he didn't win.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    Its ok, they aren't called that anymore. Its now just the plain old Conservative Party.

Though I did like it when at one time their party proposed a name change whose acronym would have been CRAP. :D

On topic: I didn't like Ignatief much at all (someone who hasn't actually lived in the country for a long time sort of disqualifies themself from being a suitable leader for a national political party IMO), so I'm glad to see he didn't win.

Would you kindly not speak if you don't know what's being discussed. In Alberta, and every other province I can think of, it is still the Progressive Conservative Party. The connection is ideological, and jsut because one province has a PC government or Liberal government won't generally affect the provincial-federal relationship. It will slightly, but simply because of ideology. They aren't separate wings of the same party.

You live in VanCity, you should know better.

I'm glad to see the environmental candidate take the Liberal leadership, it means that maybe something will get done on that front once the Liberals get back into government. I'll still be voting Green though.

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Would you kindly take the stick out of your ass?

I was skimming the thread, and saw Shinto's post, which I thought was talking about the old national PC party, which is indeed, not called that anymore. I am well aware that national and provincial parties with same name are more or less independant of each other.

And as for your "you should know better" crack, seriously, fuck off. But I suppose I should expect that sort of thing, we all know only prissy assholes live in Banff. See I can be a complete retard and make fucking lame references to location too! Aren't I witty!

TL, DR: :roll:

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    Would you kindly take the stick out of your ass?

I was skimming the thread, and saw Shinto's post, which I thought was talking about the old national PC party, which is indeed, not called that anymore. I am well aware that national and provincial parties with same name are more or less independant of each other.

And as for your "you should know better" crack, seriously, fuck off. But I suppose I should expect that sort of thing, we all know only prissy assholes live in Banff. See I can be a complete retard and make fucking lame references to location too! Aren't I witty!

TL, DR: :roll:

What are you even talking about?

saggio on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm responding to the post above mine? I thought that was clear.

Corvus on