As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OLD THREAD.

Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
star-wars-force-unleashed-banner-2.jpg

You play as the secret apprentice of Darth Vader in the time period between Episode III and Episode IV. After completing your tutelage under Vader, you are sent across the galaxy hunting the enemies of your Dark Lord including a Jedi who has managed to escaped the immediate wrath of Order 66. The game also features the evolution of Darth Vader's character in the aftermath of the death of his wife and serves as a bridge between the prequel and original trilogies.

Well that's all well and good, but what does it play like?

The Force Unleashed is built on a simple concept: what would happen if the Force were to be wielded by someone without any sort of self restraint? The answer is simple: KICK ALL SORTS OF ASS.

-+-

CHARACTERS:

The Secret Apprentice - The player character and savage wielder of the Force.

Juno Eclipse - An exceptional Imperial pilot, she was hand picked by Darth Vader himself to fly the Rogue Shadow, the personal vessel of his apprentice. May serve as a love interest for the young apprentice.

Marris Brood
- A padawan who's master has gone searching for answers, but never returned. Marris and her Jedi Master were in the Outer Rim when the Jedi purge began, but the Jedi Master could feel the great disturbance in the Force. Seeking answers, he left his young padawan. His last transmission revealed that the Jedi had been wiped out by Darth Vader. Marris leaves seeking her master and revenge, but is found by the Jedi Master Shaak Ti.

General Rahm Kota - An old friend of Mace Windu, the General has been in trenches from the age of nine. A gruff Jedi warrior trained by Master Yoda, he would volunteer for the Order's most dangerous missions and never left anyone behind. Respected by his colleges and feared by his enemies, the old soldier barely escaped Order 66 by fleeing the the Outer Rim.

PROXY - A prototype holodroid and the apprentice's constant companion. Advanced holographic technology allow PROXY to assume the appearance of anyone he needs to.

Shaak Ti
- Legendary member of the Jedi Council. Involved in conflicts during the Clone Wars including the epic battle on Geonosis. She has fled the destruction of her people and has found herself on Felucia, where she has trained Marris Brood and the Force-sensitive Felucians in preparation for the conflict with the Dark Lord.

-+-

SCREENS:

(All images stolen from IGN, as if you couldn't tell from the watermark.)
star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20070.jpg
star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20080.jpg
star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20-1.jpg
star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20-2.jpg

Jesus Christ that image screams awesome, or brooding emo, but mostly awesome.

star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20-3.jpg

-+-

VIDEOS:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Trailer

There's an excellent series of videos documenting of the making of the game that is up to it's third installment so far and can be found at the GameTrailers.

The movies below are some really nice vidoes of the game, but I must warn you that there are a few plot spoilers contained within. WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Other videos can also be found on the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed page at GameTrailers here.

-+-

PLATFORMS AND RELEASE DATE:

PS3 and XBOX360 with different versions developed by KROME appearing on the WII, PSP, and PS2. DS and N-GAGE (Nokia's mobile phone gaming service, not the piece of crap "system" they release a few years back) versions are also said to be in the works.

A rail shooter in the vein of Rebel Assault using the Force Unleashed title has also been announced for iPhone.

No PC version has been announced as of yet. Developers claim that the game wouldn't run on enough consumer's machines for the port to be profitable. It would run on many of our (the PA audience machines), yes. But their aim is the mass market, which they would miss.

Release dates are set for:

North America - September 16, 2008
Australia - September 17, 2008
Europe - September 19, 2008

-+-

Anyone looking for a basic outline of what this game is all about can refer to mrflippy's excellent discussion post about the developer's conference from more than a year ago (quoted and spoiler tagged here for your convenience).
mrflippy wrote: »
If you haven't seen the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Pre-Vis video, go see it on YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sbl_pfxvxUw

IGN also has 3 videos: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/823/823667/vids_1.html

New: Starwars.com now has videos up: http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000477.html

Below are my (semi-organized) notes from a panel discussion and meet and greet earlier today at Star Wars Celebration 4. I may get around to writing some more or prettying it up, but I don't know yet. I have tried to only use quotes for actual quotes from the developers or actors. (Or paraphrases that transfer the original meaning)

Panel:
  • Hayden Blackman (Script Director)
  • Matt Omernick (Art Director)
  • Brett Rector (Licensing)
  • Nathalie Cox (Actress: Juno Eclipse) (Was Balian's wife in Kingdom of Heaven)
  • Sam Witwer (Actor: Vader's Secret Apprentice) (Crashdown in Battlestar Galactica)

Release Date: Spring 2008

Core gameplay rule: (quote) "Kicking someone's ass with the force."

Tidbits:
  • Started development on a new Star Wars game in August 2004
  • In 2005, decided on the Vader's Apprentice plot
  • It sounds as though the game's story is going to be Canon.
  • Photo of a fax where Lucas had checked a box allowing "Leia as a tertiary character."
  • Concept art with Jedi (with lightsabers) riding Rancor.
  • Sam is a huge Star Wars fan
  • Concept video of using the force to throw junk at an AT-ST
  • Apparently it is quite fun to just kill enemies with the force. (With the physics engine, no two attacks are exactly the same)

Regarding the story and writing:
  • Hayden Blackman wrote the script
  • Occurs between Episodes 3 and 4. The game itself covers "quite a bit of time" but no definite range or period was quoted.
  • Vader has taken on a secret apprentice. (Unknown to the Emperor? It wasn't clear)
  • Juno Eclipse is the apprentice's love interest. She is a talented imperial pilot. (Rank Captain I believe) She was described as having a hardened outside, but with a soft heart inside.
  • Blackman (I think) said something about the plot being integral to the entire Star Wars canon
  • They wouldn't reveal much else about the plot
  • Sam: The script is fantastic
  • Sam: Cutscenes are not "Next, we go here, then, we do this." or the like -- they are used for character development and story advancement.
  • There is humor in the game

Regarding the Force:
  • "Amped up"
  • New ways to use the force
  • All force users are more powerful than seen in previous games or movies.
  • Inspiration from Clone Wars animated series
  • Superhero Jedi
  • "The Cannonball" force push -- Imagine firing a cannonball into a Stormtrooper's gut and having him fly backwards, crashing through three pillars and then crumpling into a heap against the far wall. That's pretty much what this means.
  • Cutting an AT-ST in half with a lightsaber
  • Blackman, on what he tells the developers: "Take it so far that I have to tell you to pull it back."
  • Matt Omernick, in response to "So is the force all raw destruction in the game or is there finesse?": "There is finesse in the raw destruction."

Sam on his character, Vader's Apprentice:
  • "I would describe him as Vader's attack dog" -- meaning that Vader keeps him locked away until he needs a task done. He is trained to obey, even if he doesn't like what he is doing.
  • "Raised in darkness"
  • "Definitely a dark-sider"
  • No elegant use of force
  • "Force wrecking ball"
  • Can't call him an assassin
  • "Star Wars wouldn't happen without this character."
  • "Photo opposite of Luke Skywalker"
  • Killer, dark-sider, is really innocent (see: trained attack dog), "wide-eyed kid"
  • When encountering hostile opponents (like Stormtroopers), a Jedi might use the mind trick, or use the force to slip quietly by. Vader's Apprentice would be more likely to bring an entire building down on the Stormtroopers.

Regarding the technology used to create the game:
  • Uses actual ILM toolkits that are used for feature movies (modified to run in real time)
  • Facial capture: "allows the actors to give real performances" -- full range facial captures, not just the mouth area
  • AI has self preservation built in.
  • Digital Molecular Matter (DMM): Simulates behavior of real materials

Matt Omernick on Visual Themes and concept art:
  • Evolution in construction (Prequels to Original trilogy)
  • Needed to invent looks for never-before-seen locations (TIE fighter construction facility)
  • Very open-ended task
  • Lucas wanted them to create new characters from scratch

Locations:
  • Raxus Prime
  • TIE Fighter Construction Facility
  • Felucia
  • Concept art showed swamps (possibly Felucia?) and Rancor
  • More that were not revealed

Q/A session:
  • Regarding Jedi Master Koda: New type of Jedi; hard boiled; veteran of Clone Wars, Samurai-inspired, martial arts movements.
  • Regarding length of gameplay: Lots of replayability, should be able to whip through the game, or take many hours if wanted. Catering to different play styles
  • Regarding a PC version: Announced versions are 360, PS3, DS, PS2, PSP. They danced around the question but didn't say no. It sounds as though they want to make it for PC, but aren't allowed to talk about it.
  • Regarding Multiplayer: There will be multiplayer
  • Regarding a Novel: There will be a novel. It will enhance the game, more backstory. Devs are working closely with the author.
  • Regarding controller usability: Working hard on this, want to support multiple play styles, holding many usability test sessions

Meet and greet (just conversing with the devs and actors):
  • Sam: The current playable version is fantastic -- way better than the Pre-Vis video. Photorealistic graphics (regarding his face on the character in game)
  • The office's halls are lined with incredible concept art
  • Facial motion capture is difficult work. Have to act everything out via the face and without many environmental cues.
  • Concept of "fallen" Jedi -- They have been hunted for years and are not always the good, disciplined Jedi that they once were.

Concept Art (I believe you can download these if you are a Star Wars fan club (Hyperspace) member:
  • Force shield
  • Lots of flying Storm Troopers
  • Wookiee
  • (Luminescent) Rancor
  • Super Star Destroyer
  • Storm Trooper thrown through multiple columns
  • Apprentice kneeling before Vader
  • Vader in action -- leading a charge on what looks to be Kashyyyk
  • Vader standing in front of an operating table
  • Jedi jumping and force pushing
  • TIE fighters exploding
  • Forest/swamp with AT-ST
  • Jedi riding Rancor
  • AT-ST hanger
  • Giant purple mushrooms?
  • Rancor cut in half
  • AT-ST cut in half

I think that's all for now. I'm sure I forgot some stuff. (And it was difficult to write stuff down in the dark) After talking with the devs and actors, I am even more excited about this game than I was.

-+-

I WANT THIS SO BAD!

Nothing like a Penny Arcade comic to spruce up an OP, right?
I think the Euphoria stuff is really cool, but stormtroopers holding hands is funny "OH JESUS WE'RE GOING TO DIE" "I know... I... I love you man. I always wanted to say, I, I've always loved you" "I know ...I always knew" *SET CUDDLE PHYSICS TO 1"

20080201.jpg

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
Fig-D on

• Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bought'd.

Cynic Jester on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Day One.

Shit, better than day one. Day zero.

The_Scarab on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is pretty much all I'm excited for right now, and it should be better than Jedi Academy.

thanimations on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is my first OP ever so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to post 'em.

Also, if I could only say one thing in this thread, people need to go watch the third "making of..." video now. It sold me better than the E3 2007 trailer.

Fig-D on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I god I wish the Wii version wasn't going to be awful...

Edit: as soon as I get a 360 this will be mine.

LewieP on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I also wish the Wii version wouldn't be cats balls.

Also, I wish it was coming to PC like every other good Star Wars action game.

HadjiQuest on
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I god I wish the Wii version wasn't going to be awful...

Edit: as soon as I get a 360 this will be mine.

Hey, we don't know that!

Yes we do...

I really wish developers would put some quality time in with the Wii. If games can look (and play) as good as Mario Galaxy, they should. I'm not a graphics guys at all, hell I'm more of a 2D guy if nothing else, but lack of effort sickens me.

Fig-D on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why are they releasing it on every damn system ever thought of...

...and not PC?

Bastards.

Khavall on
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Was 100% happy until I read that there's going to be a novel that will 'enhance the game. More backstory'.

He's an interesting idea: Tell the whole story in the damn game!

I am shocked that Lucas would endorse such a blatantly money-gouging maneuver!

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited January 2008
    Was 100% happy until I read that there's going to be a novel that will 'enhance the game. More backstory'.

Yes he truly is a paragon of quality all the rest of the time.

And it is shocking to consider him sacrificing quality for money-grabbing.

Khavall on
    edited January 2008

Yeah well, there's also a comic series... and a role playing supplement... and action figures...

Fig-D on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The main character's lightsaber style is ridiculous.

YodaTuna on
  • subl1mesubl1me Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Something about a Sith APPRENTICE bringing down a Star Destroyer with the force just doesn`t sit well with me.

Don`t get me wrong, I`m still up for going completely fucking batshit loco with the force on anyone who gets in my way. Especially if it means I get to be properly evil for once.

subl1me on
    subliminate.php
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No PC release?

Bah.

We can but hope they see the light a little while after the mulit-platform release... either that or I'm going to have to find a friend with the appropriate console and hijack their system.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • DiggDigg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's probably very unlikely it'll tie in with the new TV show. Any opinions on this?

I'm no expert on how extended universe stuff is organized, but it seems that whatever Lucas is directly involved in (and I think he's gonna produce the show, right?) doesn't go out of it's way to respect what other authors have developed... and then they have to scramble to make his new input gel with what they've been doing.

Digg on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So how's the Wii version being gimped? One of those 'Same name but entirely different Game' dealies or what?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll pirate on day minus 5 then purchase on day 0.
    Star Wars whore

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am pissed as hell that there's no pc release. For shame, LucasArts... for shame :x

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited January 2008
    Digg wrote: »
    It's probably very unlikely it'll tie in with the new TV show. Any opinions on this?

I'm no expert on how extended universe stuff is organized, but it seems that whatever Lucas is directly involved in (and I think he's gonna produce the show, right?) doesn't go out of it's way to respect what other authors have developed... and then they have to scramble to make his new input gel with what they've been doing.

I'm not touching movie tie-in live action television series' with a ten foot pole. Did you see Sarah Conner Chronicles? Fuck. So bad.

Fig-D on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    subl1me wrote: »
    Something about a Sith APPRENTICE bringing down a Star Destroyer with the force just doesn`t sit well with me.

Don`t get me wrong, I`m still up for going completely fucking batshit loco with the force on anyone who gets in my way. Especially if it means I get to be properly evil for once.

The whole idea is that they are taking their inspiration from the Clone Troopers cartoon, which is over the top and then some. Then they toss it even further over the top with a catapult for good measure. I love it.

Cynic Jester on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So how's the Wii version being gimped? One of those 'Same name but entirely different Game' dealies or what?

They'll just turn the graphics down, because they're not lazy developers.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

I wish. Different developers completely.

Fig-D on
  • DiggDigg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Digg wrote: »

I'm not touching movie tie-in live action television series' with a ten foot pole. Did you see Sarah Conner Chronicles? Fuck. So bad.

My days of defending Lucas came to an end after Episode 3... but (completely contradicting what I just said)... he did work on a good move tie-in series in the past. Young Indiana Jones worked quite well I thought.

Digg on
    edited January 2008

That's exactly it. It's also the same as the PS2 version, but with waggle.

The only upcoming game I can think of where the Wii version and the 360/PS3/PC versions sound equally exciting is the Ghostbusters game, where they actually have an extremely scalable engine and an established Wii-developer working to build a game with the same story, but completely different styles, and controls. Also, I believe the Wii one is the only version with co-op.

HadjiQuest on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Excellent OP.

And I too am pissed off that there isn't a PC release of this coming. That's just criminal. The game looks epic, and hopefully it puts in a healthy dose of greatness to the EU.

Henroid on
    edited January 2008

I don't know, can the Wii run Havok, Euphoria, and the DMM thing?

I love my little white box thing but there needs to be some crazy assed engine shit running.

Aaaand the team that's developing the Wii version I'm fairly sure is the same one as the PS2 team, who are lazy developers.

Khavall on
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

I don't know, can the Wii run Havok, Euphoria, and the DMM thing?

I love my little white box thing but there needs to be some crazy assed engine shit running.

Aaaand the team that's developing the Wii version I'm fairly sure is the same one as the PS2 team, who are lazy developers.

Are you saying you don't trust the team behind the last two Spyro games and the Ty: The Tasmanian Tiger series?!

HadjiQuest on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

It's being made by Krome Studios, of Extremely Goofy Skateboarding, Barbie Sparkling Ice Show, and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3: Night of the Quinkan fame...

LewieP on
    edited January 2008

I'll be honest, the things I'm seeing and hearing about this game, I have no idea how in hell they'll even get it to run on the 360 and PS3 (the way it looks, the physics, the animation, it's all seriously impressive stuff). There was never any way in hell that the Wii, which is less powerful than those two, was ever going to host a version that's identical in all but resolution.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2008

I'll be honest, the things I'm seeing and hearing about this game, I have no idea how in hell they'll even get it to run on the 360 and PS3 (the way it looks, the physics, the animation, it's all seriously impressive stuff). There was never any way in hell that the Wii, which is less powerful than those two, was ever going to host a version that's identical in all but resolution.

Well, it's not that... I mean... you see the other studio... um... just refer to the post above yours, that'll explain my anguish.

Fig-D on
    edited January 2008
    Well, that too.
    I'm sure Major Nelson had an interview with one of the guys from Krome recently.. did they make Viva Pinata: Party Animals?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

easy, make the resolution 64x48 then upscale the shit out of it.
    no one will notice

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited January 2008
    Well, that too.
    I'm sure Major Nelson had an interview with one of the guys from Krome recently.. did they make Viva Pinata: Party Animals?

Yep, they did.

Fig-D on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not-so-reputable studio gets to make a game for a major franchise... maybe this is what they need to buff their image?

Edit - I say "not-so-reputable" because of how you guys seem to be reacting. I haven't played nor heard anything of any of their current games.

Henroid on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So does the main character realize DARTH VADER IS USING HIM then SIDE WITH THE GOOD GUYS?

I sure hope not.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    probably, but does that matter? I want to be, as they say, a force "wrecking ball".

also they should remake republic commando.

tyrannus on
    edited January 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    So does the main character realize DARTH VADER IS USING HIM then SIDE WITH THE GOOD GUYS?

I sure hope not.

Lucas likes his games to end with the good guys winning. We'll see how they go about this.

Henroid on
    edited January 2008
    I do like the idea of having maybe fewer Force powers, but making them more devastating and stuff. That's the impression I've got from this, anyway.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • WildSpoonWildSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    for a first ever OP by you, you fuckin nailed it man.

Anyway, this game has me harder than the first time a boob excited me. I can't wait. I hope they allow a full start to finish journey as an EVIL character for once. Let the fuckin bad guys win for a change damn it lol.

(is it wrong to have a man-crush on Vader? lol)

WildSpoon on
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

PSN ID - WildSpoon
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well all the screen shots have him killing stormtroopers so I'm going to guess that fighting rebels and killing jedi masters is a pretty small part of the game.

:(

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii