As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Comics News Thread - Thread Title Updated for DouglasDanger!

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    you're right, I missed the solicit somehow

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The one-shots sounds a lot more likely.

Also, to get back to this being a general news thread and not just Iron Fist-wank: Fraction said the TPB for Seven Capital Cities of Heaven is going to be huge: IIF 8-14 (which is 34pgs), plus both Orson one-shots.

That's a lot of bang for your buck right there.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The one-shots sounds a lot more likely.

Also, to get back to this being a general news thread and not just Iron Fist-wank: Fraction said the TPB for Seven Capital Cities of Heaven is going to be huge: IIF 8-14 (which is 34pgs), plus both Orson one-shots.

Sweet. I did not realize this arc was going to be so long. I am glad. :)

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2008
    Millar and McNiven reunite for an 8-issue run on Wolverine later this year.

Details are here

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2008
    Oh. Oh, I...I'm not sure what to think about this development. I guess I'm just gonna stick around for Jason Aaron's run, and then I'm done with Wolverine. I'm really tired of "in the future, shit is fucked up" stories, especially since they all stand to be contradicted so easily.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited January 2008
    I don't think this story is in any way meant to be future continuity

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Millar and McNiven doing Wolverine, UNFORGIVEN-style? Yes, I will buy that book.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey, I think that Wolverine thing is related to this post by Millar last year:

Millar / McNiven '08 Project Hints
    ""Civil War was Marvel's biggest selling series since the early 90s. So how do we follow that? What character or group or regular book do you feel we're doing now for next April? I don't think it'll be named for another month or two yet, but curious as to what you think we'd work well on.

I'll tell you this much... I'm having a great time. I stopped writing War Heroes at number 3 and FF at our tenth issue as I'm so far ahead. Started the McNiv project a couple of months back and just finishing issue seven now. I'll have the first big arc (eight issues) done by the time the thing's announced and then I can jump back onto Kick-Ass. I've never been this far ahead before (using my time out wisely towards the end), but it's a bloody great feeling. The book's worked out really well too. Steve is itching to get started.

Some clues:

It involves a symbiote at one stage in the story, the death of the greatest Marvel hero, a new President, a blind superhero driving a car 3000 miles and The Hulk as you've never seen them (yes them) before. It's a lot of fun and I have a feeling this is going to be MASSIVE.

Start saving now.

Retailers, you can build that extension you've been thinking about. As of January I'm back, my friends!!!

MM""

KVW on
    edited January 2008
    yeah thats clearly it, since the interview confirms that a gang of redneck hulks and a blind hawkeye both feature prominently.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So Marvel is doing some tie-ins with Lost Link

smokmnky on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So that explains the Oceanic logo on the backpack in She-Hulk 25.

Crimsondude on
    edited January 2008
    Marvel has entered a partnership with Soleil, a French comic publisher, to publish translated French comics here in the USA. http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=144451 Dunno how this will work out for them financially, but from the preview art alone I'd say that this is a pretty good thing.

wwtMask on
    edited January 2008
    Some of that art is pretty swell. Bendis keeps making a big deal about how some of their books are released only once a year, but sell millions of copies. That has to make this good for someone.

Crimsondude on
    edited January 2008
    Those images of the pink headed wind up doll girl thing look hilarious. If only French people didn't speak in big white empty text bubbles, I could tell what's going on.

KVW on
    edited January 2008
    Man, the news keeps rolling in. Millar says that his eight issue run on Wolverine and his 16 issue run on FF will crossover with each other, and they'll both tie into his '1985' series: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12820

wwtMask on
    edited January 2008
    I hate future-forward stories.

Crimsondude on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Playing Whatever Happened To? with 13 DC characters.

Will Jack Knight make his triumphant return in 2008? Maybe...just maybe.

Plus, another poster...this time...Oppression.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited January 2008
    I'd like to read another espionage book. But I just realized during WWH that Iron Man has been one. So... I'll see if it takes next time I see a copy.

About that Millar/McNiven project:
    But I do have this stupid thing where I like to fire myself at the end of every year and it�s because Frank Miller�s my hero and I love the fact that Frank Miller came on and did four issues of �Batman� and made it the best ever and then he came on and did eight issues of �Daredevil� with �Born Again� and it was the best ever and I just try to copy that.
    I actually like Millar, but he ain't no Frank-Miller-in-his-prime.

The F4 thing is interesting. I like that he knows that the Indians used guns.

Crimsondude on
    edited January 2008
    That Wolverine arc sounds rad to me, I'll buy it. I love Eastwood movies.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited January 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, the news keeps rolling in. Millar says that his eight issue run on Wolverine and his 16 issue run on FF will crossover with each other, and they'll both tie into his '1985' series: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12820

I read that as a joke and he just wants people to buy all his books. He mentions Kick ass ties in as well if I recall correctly.

KVW on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »

Some of those were bad picks. Brainiac's a staple in Superman, he won't go anywhere. Chloe from Smallville? Who cares?

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Some of those were bad picks. Brainiac's a staple in Superman, he won't go anywhere. Chloe from Smallville? Who cares?

Smallville fans apparently.

Bad Karma on
    edited January 2008
    KVW wrote: »

I read that as a joke and he just wants people to buy all his books. He mentions Kick ass ties in as well if I recall correctly.

He could mean they tie together thematically or something. What is 1985 even going to be about?

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2008
    Top Cow released the full issue of Madame Mirage #1 on Newsarama. Link
    The original solicitation for the series first issue read:

Madame Mirage #1

(W) Paul Dini (A) Kenneth Rocafort (Cov) Greg Horn, Rocafort

Superstar writer Paul Dini (52, Lost) makes an explosive return to Top Cow in 2007 when he brings brand new character Madame Mirage to the Top Cow!

But who is this beautiful woman who appears out of the mist? As deadly as she is beautiful, she is cutting a bloody path through the city's villains, who now wear suits and have "legitimate" businesses. But who is her ultimate prey? And how does this Mirage take form? And why is her destiny and that of her sidekick Harper so irrevocably entwined? These and many other questions will be asked along with the most pivotal question of all – Who is Madame Mirage?

Dini weaves a tale of murder, intrigue and revenge in a world of high-tech espionage and treachery. Joining Dini is rising artistic star, Kenneth Rocafort (Hunter-Killer) with his atmospheric and kinetic style. The first issue features two covers by sensual cover artist Greg Horn (Superman Returns, She-Hulk) as well as a stunning cover by series artist Rocafort. Madame Mirage – you'll never forget her… if you can make her acquaintance and live to tell the tale…

wwtMask and I have been reading this series, and it's actually very cool--especially once you understand the "design" of Madame Mirage herself and the whole story behind it that is explained in issue 3. I suggest you check this out, and check out 2, 3, and when it comes out, 4.

Crimsondude on
    edited January 2008
    KVW wrote: »

He could mean they tie together thematically or something. What is 1985 even going to be about?

1985 is very ambiguous. It started out as some merger of photo realism with comics in a Marvels style real world setting (or something, it's very vague) and as of the last Comic-con, there's not much else known about it except the photo stuff was dropped. IGN has a preview here.

Here's a couple of the newest images.
    198520070810112347004sv5.jpg

198520070810112348770bn6.jpg

And here's some of the old 'photo' images.
    19852gh0.jpg

19853fw7.jpg

Note the difference in the Hulk shots in the old and new. I believe those are the same images in different styles.

So, what's it about? It's about the year 1985, Marvels-style perspective (man on the street) and may or may not deal with the Marvel Universe. Some images make it look like it's comic creators (one preview image has guys working at a drawing board). So it could be about people in that time and the affect of super heroes and comic books or it could just be a random image and its actually about the 1985 time period of the Marvel Universe. I honestly don't know at this point.

KVW on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2008
    It's supposed to be a Secret War thing where when the villains on that segment of Denver who were floating back to Earth end up on our Earth circa 1985. Or that's what I heard at least.

DJ Eebs on
    edited January 2008
    Tommy Lee Edwards is awesome. He did Bullet Points, right?

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2008
    Right.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited January 2008
    The Bug is back. Long live the Bug.

Bad Karma on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    i still need to read the Son of Ambush bug series

i've had it sitting here since summer

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Bug is back. Long live the Bug.

My hopes are sky-fucking-high. I'm confident that Giffen will rip the piss out of Identity Crisis and Infinite Crisis, and I can't wait.

Munch on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It will end with Ambush Bug leaving whatever Earth he is on for New Earth, and then turning into a plain old mindless bug.

Lux on
    edited February 2008
    Well, apparently Sean McKeever can't write two books at once, so he's leaving Birds of Prey.

Oh well, hopefully they'll put Tony Bedard back on, his fill ins were just as enjoyable as Gail's work. I'm sure Gail is still out of the question, as she has the yet unanounced project to work on.

Bad Karma on
    edited February 2008
    Well, apparently Sean McKeever can't write two books at once, so he's leaving Birds of Prey.

Oh well, hopefully they'll put Tony Bedard back on, his fill ins were just as enjoyable as Gail's work. I'm sure Gail is still out of the question, as she has the yet unanounced project to work on.

What the heck

His Birds issues weren't bad. His Titans issues are awful.

Garlic Bread on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Keith wrote: »

What the heck

His Birds issues weren't bad. His Titans issues are awful.
    Agreed. Probably would've been better the other way.

Fencingsax on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maybe Dixon can go back to writing it. For me, his BoP stories are still the definitive ones.

Munch on
    edited February 2008
    And finally, a look at Bagley's first art piece under his new contract with DC.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=145543

:^:

Bad Karma on
    edited February 2008
    batman's muscles show through his gloves

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2008
    That's nothing new in comic art.

Bad Karma on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And finally, a look at Bagley's first art piece under his new contract with DC.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=145543

:^:

Love it, but it is a little weird to see WW looking like MJ from Ultimate Spider-man

smokmnky on
This discussion has been closed.