As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warmachine and Hordes: Steam, Blood, & Magic

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Different Warcasters have different abilities that lend themselves to different strategies. Some have stuff that boosts 'jacks, others have stuff that improve your infantry and so on.

Ok cool, so then I could use this gun toting maniac (or his none epic version) in every game?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2006
    Caine is an offensive-type 'caster, with a few buff spells for his troops.

Echo on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    What is the deal with picking a warcaster though. Is a warcaster just a class of "Warcaster" and there are a bunch of Warcaster named models? Or, is each warcaster an individual unique character with different abilities (a la the specific generals in 40k?)

If they are different, at what point do you get to choose a name Warcaster?

All armies will have at least one Warcaster. It's basically a individual character who's sorta the general for your battle group. They have a pool of what's known as "focus", which they can use for various effects. Think of it like their "attention" for a round. They can focus on casting spells, augmenting their own attacks, or manipulating the warjacks under their control to do things that they normally couldn't on their own. (Run, charge, hit more effectively, put a enemy jack in a headlock, grab a enemy 'jack and throw them into a infantry line, headbutt the enemy 'jack sending them to their knees, etc.)

If you havn't read the rules yet, you might want to.

The URL for the quick-start rules is here:
    http://privateerpress.com/docs/warmachine/WMQS1_3.pdf

If you want to know more specifics on how a Warcaster is played, you need to check out the Battle College.

The article on Caine is here:
    http://www.battlecollege.com/content/view/90/46/

Caine's frickin' badass. Especially when he triggers his feat (Maelstrom, each warcaster has a once-per-game ability that they can use), where he can put a bullet in every enemy he has Line-of-Sight on within 12".

Anything that denies ranged attacks (Menoth :x ) may give him a bit of trouble, though.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I love Menoth, if you think Caine's feat to good, look at Krieoss's.

Any enemies within 14" of him get kocked the fuck down.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2006
    So I just bought: Lt and Capt. Allister Caine, the starter box, 10 long gunners, a mess of gun mages, journeyman warcaster, an extra Defender jack, and some Stormsmiths.

Who wants to talk about how awesome this game is and how much better it is than warhammer40k?

MegaMan001 on
  • Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I finally got my damn Trolls. Painting them in kind of a sickly set of greens (Reaper paints Ghoul Grey and Cornflower Blue make a fucking amazing color). I bought both other Troll warlocks, but I'll always have a soft spot for Madrak and a couple impalers. I need to play more Warmachine players.

Last game I played against a warmachine guy was my trolls (Two impalers, an axer, trollkin champs and Hoarluk Goddamn Doomshaper) vs Cygnar with two light warjacks, one heavy, some trenchers, and Stryker as their warcaster.

I won really good. It was a lot of fun. A lot of people tend to discount the impalers, but not a whole lot is cooler than a spear getting thrown one goddamned foot into your opponent, knocking him off the hill he was one.

Then I played against Krueger and I lost. Fucking Krueger the stormwrath.

In short, coolest goddamn game ever.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Hahaha!

Eat 4" melee range, Troll hobo! I love Lightning Tendrills. :D

Iskander on
    edited December 2006
    Iskander wrote:

Hahaha!

Eat 4" melee range, Troll hobo! I love Lightning Tendrills. :D

It was okay. Right before I lost I figured out that a 12 inch thrown spear with knockback on a critical is a good way to mess up his groove. We didn't actually get a chance to finish, but I declared it a loss on my part because the player was probably going to win. And I was playing with Madrak, who is really the weakest support 'lock in the game.

On the upside, Hoarluk Doomshaper is fully painted, and so is my axer. The impalers, the trollkin champs, Alten Ashley, the swamp gobbers, and my shiny new PYRE troll all need a coat or two, but it won't be that bad. Just... time consuming.

PROTIP: You can use the Troll Impaler's animus on Alten Ashley, giving him an 18 inch range which automatically knocks out one branch of a Warbeast's health spiral.

Anyone want to talk tactics?

Anthrax! Please. on
    edited December 2006
    This game is so unbelievably good. I just got my Cygnar box and a bunch of other crap.

This game provides the player with so much stuff to do every turn that it's mind boggling. I feel a lot more interactive with the game than I do in 40k when you just roll a bunch of dice once you finally get within range.

So, Stryker = Bad ass for Cygnar for real. His focus is crappy, but my god - cast snipe at 6 focus first turn and have your long gunners take down a warjack every turn? I do believe so. Being able to *throw* a jack is the utmost in morale boosters. I don't know about anyone else - but it is my express wish to throw a warjack every game.

MegaMan001 on
  • Eela6Eela6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've been looking into Warmachine ever since I saw a demonstration over at ComiCon International.

How much does it cost to get started, and what do I need to know? [I haven't played any miniature-based Wargames.]

I'm looking into the Cygnar or Russian factions. Any advice?

Eela6 on
    I took three ranks in Craft - Technobabble last level.

DP Code - 3050 4223 5906
    edited December 2006
    Eela6 wrote:
    I've been looking into Warmachine ever since I saw a demonstration over at ComiCon International.

How much does it cost to get started, and what do I need to know? [I haven't played any miniature-based Wargames.]

I'm looking into the Cygnar or Russian factions. Any advice?

http://www.warpath-games.com sells all Warmachine stuff at 46% off.

To begin, you basically need the starter box (20 bucks off of warpath), which contains all the quick start rules to begin playing.

Cygnar = The more maneuverable rangy sort of army.
    Khador = Up in your face huge armored army.

EDIT: I highly reccomend picking up a starter box then having a friend pick one up to - you can get a lot of mileage out of that.

MegaMan001 on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I decided that I want to get into this game, and while I'm reasonably certain that I'd rather play Hordes than Warmachine, I'm still deciding between the Circle and Skorne, as the Trollbloods and Everblight don't really appeal to me that much aesthetically. Can anyone who's played either say what each army is like in terms of playstyle?

Jebu on
    edited December 2006
    I have played both.

With Skorne, prepare to take a lot of ranged hits before you get to your foe. Don't worry too much, you have a lot of armor and health. Then, when you get close, you stab them to death mercilessly and fuck up their fury-mechanics. They do have some ranged, like the Cataphract Arcuarii, the Titan Canoneer (coolest), and the guys with needler guns, but the warpack you'll get is a very melee oriented army.

With Orboros, you are light and fast. Move in the trees, hide, teleport, charge, knockdown, annihilate, retreat. They do not do well when they don't get the first hits off. Also, their light warbeasts really aren't the greatest.

However, Both Krueger the Stormwrath and Baldur stonecleaver are stupidly good. Krueger flies around, and makes lightning storms, and Baldur, instead of moving reguarly, can teleport to a different forest from the one he's in. Whenever he wants.

Anthrax! Please. on
    edited December 2006
    Small Troll Pygs with Gatlings mounted on the backs of Dire Trolls for awesome and great justice:

product_34019.jpg

Also, to the left here you see a normal Dire Troll Mauler, already one of the most badass models in Hordes. To the right you see the alternate sculpt the sculptor created because he felt like it... Sweet mother of God:

extreme_compared.jpg

Iskander on
    edited December 2006
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm kinda interested in Skorne purely for the looks, but they seem a bit too similar to Khador in their style - melee and heavy armor.

Echo on
    edited December 2006
    The Skorne really are awesome and share some similarities with Khador. They've got some very unique and interesting play mechanics, though, that make them very different from every other faction. Of all Hordes factions I think I like them most, even though I play Circle.

Also: Man-O-War on a motherfucking Warhorse, how amazingly cool is that:

lrg-307-33045_mow_drakhun_box_set.jpg

Iskander on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    :shock:

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't see it has being mentioned here, but someone should.
    Due to increasing cost of metal, PP is increasing it's prices.
    Over the past four years that Privateer Press has produced miniatures, the price of our metal materials has nearly doubled, including a 50% increase in the last 12 months. While we diligently monitor the cost of the metal and price our new products appropriately, the miniatures we released in the first couple of years cost so much in metal that we can no longer afford to continue producing them at their original price. We’ve gone to great lengths to not raise prices. We have purchased more efficient equipment, bought metal in bulk, and continually train our staff in an effort to create a more efficient production process. With the drastic rise in tin prices over the last year, such efforts are simply not enough to keep producing products priced at 2003 prices. In order to continue the production of certain items we must adjust their MSRP to reflect the current materials prices, which constitutes the largest portion of their manufacturing cost. Below you can see a graph from the London Metal Exchange displaying the rise in tin prices since January of 2003. (http://www.lme.co.uk/) In 2003, the price of tin was $2.87 per pound. Our most recent order of metal cost $5.67 per pound, a 98% increase in four years.

As of January 1, 2007, a significant number of the models found in the WARMACHINE: Prime and WARMACHINE: Escalation product releases, as well as a select few models post-dating Escalation, will receive an increase to their MSRP. No HORDES models will be adjusted. Here is a complete list of the affected models.

We hope that the necessity of this adjustment is understandable and look forward to the continued support of the many WARMACHINE players, retailers, and distributors who have helped WARMACHINE grow over the past four years. You may send your questions to frontdesk@privateerpress.com
    Starter boxes are going up to 50, on par with the Hordes boxes. A shame, but one price increase in something like 4 years isn't that bad. I just hope it doesn't become a habit.

Also, that alternate sculpt...sweet Jesus' colon...
    I hope it sticks around to hit the table as a warbeast of renown, or a unique beast it's too cool to stay limited edition.

see317 on
    edited December 2006
    That alternate Mauler is not exactly limited per se. They're going to see how well it is received by the fanbase and keep it available for as long as it is viable. Apparently it would cost close to 100 bucks in retail, which is why they're only offering it online.

As for the price hike, yeah it irks me quite a bit, too :? But hey, at least it's only concerning Prime and Escalation models which were underpriced to begin with.

Iskander on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, I broke down and bought a Orboros warpack. Those bastards sure do have a lot of gaps to fill in. I didn't have any green stuff, so I went to the hardware store and bought some two part epoxy putty used to seal drains and whatnot. I don't think it's the same quality as epoxy sculpting putty though, as it was very granular once I got it into small pieces. It was only 5 bucks though, so I guess it's no big deal. It filled the waist gap on the warpwolf and the bigger middle gaps on the arguses.

Kaya's right arm was also a bitch. My Zap-a-Gap just didn't want to stick there. Looking forward to getting these primed and painted.

zenpotato on
    edited December 2006
    I should really get back to work on my Khador stuff. Sorscha is nearing completion, and the Juggernaut just needs a few minor touchups. The Destroyer has the red layers done.

Thinking a bit about what my next purchases will be. Definitely a Widowmaker box for the pure awesomeness of those models. Maybe a mortar + crew as well.

Echo on
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, I bought a Seraph over the weekend and have been strategizing how to assemble it. I'm sort of new to assembling metal minis (I think I did a pretty decent job putting the Legion box together, but that's really it so far), and I'm not quite sure how to put the Seraph together. In short, the wings are making we nervous. They are screaming to be pinned, but there isn't enough metal on the base to do so.

I guess I could fit a pin all the way through the base, effectively pinning the wings to each other, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. Any suggestions on how I can put this cute little fella together without having to fix his wings every time I move him?

Thanks in advance!

Karilmat on
    edited December 2006
    I'm going to start work on my Guardian's paint job, these are the colors I'm planning to use.

I have P3 Menoth White Base/Highlight to use for white stuff.

I Also have P3 Menoth Sanguine Red Base/Highlight to use for the red stuff. and for the goldish bits, I'll use Citadel colours, Shining gold base with Brazen Brass Inkwash.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2006
    I'm going to start work on my Guardian's paint job, these are the colors I'm planning to use.

I have P3 Menoth White Base/Highlight to use for white stuff.

I Also have P3 Menoth Sanguine Red Base/Highlight to use for the red stuff. and for the goldish bits, I'll use Citadel colours, Shining gold base with Brazen Brass Inkwash.

How are Privateer Press's paints? I was going to buy the Cygnar Box just because I love that shade of blue and I don't want to mix it on my own.

MegaMan001 on
    edited December 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    How are Privateer Press's paints? I was going to buy the Cygnar Box just because I love that shade of blue and I don't want to mix it on my own.

Actually, I think the "old" official Cygnar colors used Citadel paints.

Echo on
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:

Actually, I think the "old" official Cygnar colors used Citadel paints.

I don't know if it was Citadel or another brand, but they used the Citadel names. Some of the mixes they used for the official studio colors were pretty intense though, and not something a casual painter was likely to reproduce. The P3 line takes care of that problem. I haven't seen them in a store yet, but I'm interested to see what people think of them. My paint collection is pretty small at the moment, and I'd like to supplement it with a P3 Mercs sets I think.

zenpotato on
    edited December 2006
    All the reviews of the P3 paints that I've read have been quite positive.
    However, most of these reviews have been on the PP Forums, so some bias is to be expected.

see317 on
    edited January 2007
    These scratch-built Machine Wraiths are full of awesomesauce.

P1010450.jpg

Machine_Wraith.jpg

Echo on
    edited January 2007
    see317 wrote:
    All the reviews of the P3 paints that I've read have been quite positive.
    However, most of these reviews have been on the PP Forums, so some bias is to be expected.

I'll say this, I've had a difficult time trying to recreate MEnoth White and menoth deep red, witht he P3 paints is solved the problem very easy. I'd say the Menoth paint box is a must buy for paintin g menoth, because it's worth it to not go through the hassle to try to create that difficult to make shade of red.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited January 2007
    April releases:

* Privateer Press Catalog 2007 $11.99
    * Cygnar Long Gunner Unit Attachement $11.99
    * Cygnar Journeyman Warcaster Alternate Version $8.99
    * Protectorate Covenant of Menoth $16.99
    * Protectorate Paladin of the Order of the Wall Alternate Version $9.99
    * Khador Winter Guard Field Gun Crew $19.99
    * Khador Manhunter Alternate Version $8.99
    * Cryx Black Orgun Boarding Party Unit $35.99
    * Cryx Black Ogrun Boarding Party Pirate (1) $11.99
    * Cryx Pistol Wraith Alternate Version $9.99

Echo on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Two part rules question: The Skorne Warlock Morghoul has a spell called Unrelenting which allows a targeted friendly model to move its full movement range every time it gets damaged without provoking any free attacks from the enemy.

First question - does this include damage transferred to the model?

Second question - if the target model was the "victim" of a multiple attack, such as a model using two clawed weapons or something, would it move after the first damaging attack hit, or do all of the attacks happen "simultaneously" and damage is accumulated at the end of the activation?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited January 2007
    The privateer press forums have official guys who do the rulings there. Meaning, if you look it up there, then they should have an official answer. As far as I understand it, each attack from multiple attacks is done sequentially, attack resolved, damage resolved, then attack and damage. So that would mean you get to ignore the second attack. Yes, it is pretty sweet. As for transfer damage? I bet you could get away with it. It sounds pretty darn legal to me.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's between buying this and Mordheim. The thing about Mordheim is that with the box set, I can convince my roommate to play. Anything else and I think I'll be on my own. Decisions, decisions!

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited January 2007
    defrag wrote:
    It's between buying this and Mordheim. The thing about Mordheim is that with the box set, I can convince my roommate to play. Anything else and I think I'll be on my own. Decisions, decisions!

How much does a Mordheim boxset cost? If it's even close to the price of two boxed sets of Warmachine/Hordes, then that's the clear answer. Mordheim isn't supported anymore, and WM/Hordes is awesome. Cool minis, cool game system, and IME, somewhat more mature gamers as well.

zenpotato on
    edited January 2007
    The privateer press forums have official guys who do the rulings there. Meaning, if you look it up there, then they should have an official answer. As far as I understand it, each attack from multiple attacks is done sequentially, attack resolved, damage resolved, then attack and damage. So that would mean you get to ignore the second attack. Yes, it is pretty sweet. As for transfer damage? I bet you could get away with it. It sounds pretty darn legal to me.

I ended up asking there and got an answer pretty quickly. Turns out that yes, you can move away after the first attack as long as it doesn't immobilize you, but you cannot use transfer damage to provoke movement, as the spell specifically says "damage from an enemy", which it technically is, but isn't directly. Otherwise, I'd be able to transfer damage to my Titan and force him to move right into combat or march him forward at an insane pace.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited January 2007
    Mordheim doesn't have rules for having your warjack grab another warjack by the head and throwing it through a wall. :winky:

Echo on
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    Mordheim doesn't have rules for having your warjack grab another warjack by the head and throwing it through a wall. :winky:

Not only that, but those rules are even simple to understand! :)

zenpotato on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:

To: Echo

Mordheim's only $75 for the box set, and I was under the impression that they're reprinting stuff. I guess I'll go take a look at this tomorrow. How much am I looking at for a decent-sized force?

edit: NM: Found so much useful info in this thread.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited January 2007
    defrag wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Mordheim's only $75 for the box set, and I was under the impression that they're reprinting stuff. I guess I'll go take a look at this tomorrow. How much am I looking at for a decent-sized force?

Heck, for 5 dollars more you could buy yourself a second faction box. Then you'd have an easier time convincing the roomie to try it out. Plus you'd have a second faction already started.

see317 on
    edited January 2007
    see317 wrote:
    defrag wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Heck, for 5 dollars more you could buy yourself a second faction box. Then you'd have an easier time convincing the roomie to try it out. Plus you'd have a second faction already started.

FUCK. TO THE YES. Seriously. Since you aren't local I don't have to pimp the local game store, and I can tell you that you should get two faction battle boxes from a site like warpath games.

Cheap. Cheap as heck. Two armies. Lots of fun. Expandable, but doesn't need to be. The quick start rules that come with the box cover almost everything, so you don't really even need to buy the full rulebook. Unless you want to. It is pretty fun.

Game = love. You = should skip Mordheim.

Anthrax! Please. on
This discussion has been closed.