As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

360 is freezing. Requesting knowledge.

temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
I woke up this morning, wanting to play the DMC4 demo. Turned it on, got into the game, and the first time I fired the gun my 360 locked up. No error message, no rings. I restart the system, and start up undertow. Same thing happens. Now when I restart, it freezes on the startup screen. I went to the xbox support page, did all the troubleshooting, and still it freezes. it's done this about 7 times already.

So now I'm here, asking for your advice. I know a lot of you have dealt with this problem, and had to deal with horrible customer service, so I'm wondering if there is anything I can do before contacting customer service. Also, should I start out by emailing them, or just jump straight to calling. Thanks in advance.

XBL - Temperature_MD
PSN - CardboardNine
temperature! on

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My 360 froze up often before it red ringed. whenever the game loaded, sometimes when starting the console up. anytime it would do such things it would lock up. no crash, no rings, just a frozen screen, sometimes with music still playing before eventually cutting out.

be prepared to start mourning.

The_Scarab on
  • zerocountzerocount Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You are describing what has led to the majority of my 360s failing. I suspect it has to do with the video card overheating (as it only really locks up in-game, and not on the dash, and if you let it cool for a bit, it lasts a little bit longer). Although I am on my 5th 360 now, 3 of them have failed this way, and I never received the RRoD.

The repair/replace with refurb route seems to be running smoothly these days, so you shouldn't be without it for too long.

zerocount on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Funny this thread was just started. I had two hard locks last night starting up COD4 right in a row. My machine (which is a launch 360) never hard-locks. I don't want it to happen, of course, but I'm expecting it to die soon and to have to replace it. I'm really NOT looking forward to the endless replace-with-a-refurb grind that so many others have gone through. Never envied those poor saps.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My odd problem with my 360 is that if I leave a game in the CD-ROM overnight and come back and turn my 360 on... It will give me a "Disk is unreadable" error. But if I turn my 360 on, and eject the CD-ROM and put it back in... It won't ever give me that error. Weird.

But OP: That's what my 360 was doing before it Red Ringed too. :( I'm sorry to say.

urahonky on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Last night, Assassin's Creed froze at the main menu.

:(

UnbreakableVow on
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, sorry to those who have gone through countless 360's, hopefully I don't join your ranks. The thing is with my 360 is that I haven't had a disk in all morning, so it's definitely a hardware issue. And I haven't had it not freeze up all morning, so it's pretty, much unplayable.

Should I just wait until the red ring hits, or should I call them now? Also, if I get a refurb, will I lose my XBLA games and my gamerscore and things like that?

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
    edited January 2008
    I'd call them up now. The sooner you send it in, the sooner you get it back.

urahonky on
  • bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    My odd problem with my 360 is that if I leave a game in the CD-ROM overnight and come back and turn my 360 on... It will give me a "Disk is unreadable" error. But if I turn my 360 on, and eject the CD-ROM and put it back in... It won't ever give me that error. Weird.

But OP: That's what my 360 was doing before it Red Ringed too. :( I'm sorry to say.

That happened with my OXbox... I ended up replacing the cd drive and never had problems after that.

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
    edited January 2008
    I was just about to call, when I decided to check it one last time. Turned it on, and got the dreaded red ring. Now that is all it is doing. It's a sad, sad day. Thanks for your help.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was just about to call, when I decided to check it one last time. Turned it on, and got the dreaded red ring. Now that is all it is doing. It's a sad, sad day. Thanks for your help.

If it is any consolation my 360 has red ringed twice with the 3 red lights and still works.

the first two times were when the power shorted out due to lightning and the last time was when there was a power surge and the console flatlined.

all three times the console has failed to start due to the 3RR being displayed and all three times I simply powered it off and powered it on again seconds later for success.

my 360 is like lazarus.

The_Scarab on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I feel for ya, bud having to RMA a console sucks... That is, unless you were one of those assholes that said "I've never had a problem with my launch console, you must all be treating your console badly." Then I laugh at you.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I unplugged it and everything, it just keeps red ringing. I called, and it's getting repaired. I just hope everything goes smooth, and my repair stays repaired. Luckily, No games will be coming out that I want, until GTAIV, and thats in april.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I unplugged it and everything, it just keeps red ringing. I called, and it's getting repaired. I just hope everything goes smooth, and my repair stays repaired. Luckily, No games will be coming out that I want, until GTAIV, and thats in april.

My replacement was pretty easy ---- my new x360 lasted less than half a year.. my replacement has lasted something like 8 months now, and is still running fine. Good luck!

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not really sure, but my 360 freezes when I save or load games. I'm a huge button clicker and I try clicking through stuff quick. Been freezing for over 2 months, only like once a week or so, and it hasn't RROD'd on me yet.

I have the extended warranty from Best Buy so I don't really care if it craters, but it seems like 360s can hardlock and it doesn't really mean that it's going to die. It just means that you should be patient and stop clicking through menus before they load.

KimFidler on
  • frisko54frisko54 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd start out with calling them, be prepared to speak to offshore reps who fake texan accents

frisko54 on
    edited January 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    I feel for ya, bud having to RMA a console sucks... That is, unless you were one of those assholes that said "I've never had a problem with my launch console, you must all be treating your console badly." Then I laugh at you.

I'm not one of those people, but my roommate is. I got mine last Feb. so it almost lasted a year. The guy that talked to me when I called microsoft was obviously Spanish, and really didn't know what he was talking about. Once I told him I had the red ring though, he told me the only way I can get that fixed is if I sent it in, so that's what I'm doing. The only good part of the experience was the waiting music.

The worst part about it is, I own 2 "next-gen" consoles, the 360 and wii, and I had to send them both back. At least the 360 lasted more than a day, and I didn't wait 17 hours in the cold to get it.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The worst part about it is, I own 2 "next-gen" consoles, the 360 and wii, and I had to send them both back. At least the 360 lasted more than a day, and I didn't wait 17 hours in the cold to get it.

Why not buy a ps3 and try for the hat trick. D: Seriously though you seem to have bad luck with consoles.

If it makes you feel any better If I stand my ps3 vertical it can't read disks. (My 2 year old son put a coin in the slot loading drive and I can't get it out. Seems to work fine horizontally, been working this way for 2 months now, but doesn't work vertically.)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • kerinkerin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My 360 froze a few times during the last week, and now I've just got home, popped in my fresh copy of Burnout, and instantly got three red lights. So that's my third dead shitbox.

What's extra annoying is that I originally ordered Burnout for the PS3, but cancelled it in a fit of pique after a bad PSN experience.

kerin on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    greeble wrote: »

Why not buy a ps3 and try for the hat trick. D: Seriously though you seem to have bad luck with consoles.

If it makes you feel any better If I stand my ps3 vertical it can't read disks. (My 2 year old son put a coin in the slot loading drive and I can't get it out. Seems to work fine horizontally, been working this way for 2 months now, but doesn't work vertically.)

Was he dissapointed when nothing came out?

I turned on my dads table saw just as my dad reached for the blades, i was hoping candy would come out.

He didnt get hurt

The Black Hunter on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a shitty older 360 that feels like it runs at about 750 degrees farenheit. Its only a matter of time for me.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Do the Elite's red ring often?

Rizzi on
  • PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's most likely going to red ring soon. Mine did the exact same thing for a few days, then one day turned it on and boom! Red Ring. Now I'm waiting for my 360 to be repaired.

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Plan for a month without it. Just got mine back and it's an 06' refurb. The DVD drive is smoother and quieter and the variable fans certainly act differently than my previous one.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My 360 red ringed yesterday, just put in the call for a repair. It sucks but I got it in early 06 so I was expecting it for a while. I'm happy I got Mass Effect and Bioshock done and finished otherwise I'd really be pissed.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »

Yes, they use the same internals as the others. The only difference is the case is black.

But yes this is what happened to my 360. I finally took it in after I couldn't play more than a few minutes without a freeze and then it fragged all my saves during a freeze. I used my gamestop warranty. Now I have a new un-opened Zephyr model in the corner. I would have been pissed when I realized it was a Zephyr, but it was an upgrade from my Xenen model. I'm sticking with my PS3 now, not a single problem from it.

Dark Shroud on
    edited February 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    My 360 red ringed yesterday, just put in the call for a repair. It sucks but I got it in early 06 so I was expecting it for a while. I'm happy I got Mass Effect and Bioshock done and finished otherwise I'd really be pissed.

Unfortunately for me, I own both, and haven't finished either of them. Mass Effect was my most anticipated game this year, and is the reason I got my 360, but I got Assassins creed and it just took over. I also just realized that I will in fact be missing out on a game while my 360 is gone, DMC4.

Also, how will I know if they repaired mine, or gave me a refurb? I don't really like the idea of a refurb, because I paid full price for mine and want to keep mine, not someone's used 360.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »

Yes, they use the same internals as the others. The only difference is the case is black.

But yes this is what happened to my 360. I finally took it in after I couldn't play more than a few minutes without a freeze and then it fragged all my saves during a freeze. I used my gamestop warranty. Now I have a new un-opened Zephyr model in the corner. I would have been pissed when I realized it was a Zephyr, but it was an upgrade from my Xenen model. I'm sticking with my PS3 now, not a single problem from it.

D:
    That sucks.

Rizzi on
  • ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Funny, every time one of these threads pops up, my 360 shits the bed. I was enjoying some CoD4 multiplayer when black boxes starting moving all over the screen. I finished the match anyway (getting a nice 18 kills) and then restarted my console to be great by "E74 System Error: Contact Customer Support" and one red light this time. Since this is my third repair in 6 months I'm being escalated to the "your 360 console really, really sucks" division which is faster or something. Sucks cause all I wanna do is enjoy the system and I'm just not allowed to.

Rei on
  • ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Also, how will I know if they repaired mine, or gave me a refurb? I don't really like the idea of a refurb, because I paid full price for mine and want to keep mine, not someone's used 360.

The serial numbers will be different. Also I think within the returned box they have a letter saying they sent you a different console. You could also try using XBLA games when offline and they shouldn't work if I understand all the DRM stuff that's talked about here.

Be prepared to be without a 360 for probably 2-3 weeks depending on the service level of shipping they give you. There repair center is in Texas so Ground shipping to Pittsburgh is probably 3-4 days. My first red ring they gave me 3 day select which is a bit faster, but my last repair they only gave me Ground. Sadly I'm becoming an expert in this stuff.

Rei on
    edited February 2008
    Kinda why I'm glad I bought my 360 at Best Buy and got the warranty (sorta). I got the dreaded 3 rings, and went in... Swapped machines (and hard drives) and was out in under a day.

The reason I say sorta, is because I've been having issues with my 360 recently. So I decided to swap it out with a new on in store, but they're out of 360 Pros. So I'll have to wait until they get a new one in before I get the chance to swap it out.

urahonky on
    edited February 2008
    I got my 360 back las night, which is nice, but I have a problem. I got a letter with it saying they replaced my system. Now, all of my XBLA games don't work. Is there any way around this? I read a few stories where people just get screwed and MS just says they can't do anything about it. Isn't that stealing? I mean, you pay money for these games, they take your money, and then you get no games.

help.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
    edited February 2008
    Unfortunately that's another phone call to MS.

urahonky on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Call the support line and explain the situation with console being replaced and failure to access Live content. They should have you try a few things that may work, and if not, they should escalate the call to a proper CSR (you wait for a callback) who should refund your points so you can repurchase the content.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    they don't point refund anymore

they have an engineer manually (prolly an in-house tool) change the IDs on all your purchased content

but ya... you have to call them now to get them to do it

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, during Crackdown last night I was getting some major slowdown and stuttering during a gunfight. It hasn't happened before, and I'm right near the end. Is this something that happens commonly in the game or should I be worried about my console? It was only purchased in November.

EDIT: Also resurrected the Crackdown thread to ask this.
    EDIT 2: Thanks Nailbunny. I feel better now.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, during Crackdown last night I was getting some major slowdown and stuttering during a gunfight. It hasn't happened before, and I'm right near the end. Is this something that happens commonly in the game or should I be worried about my console? It was only purchased in November.

I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't been able to play Crackdown in almost a year due to a damaged disc when my 360 failed, but if I recall, there is some slowdown towards the end.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I've had mine crap out this week too. Prior to that my xbox spent a whole 2 months DRE'ing on Rock Band with an annoying frequency. This is my second time around the old coffin trick. And I did it about this time last year. At least now I can try the Endless Setlist without fear of the machine freezing on me some point near the end.

If I didn't love the 360 so much, I'd hate it.

Also, I hope the foreign guy that was taking my address for my coffin remembered to send it to Fourth Street, not Fort Street like he kept trying to tell me I was saying

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mine has started freezing and am wondering if I take advantage of the Best Buy warrenty would I still be able to get the xbla stuff refunded or reactivated on the new console. Or is that soley the refurb thing?

Psychotic One on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just bought a second 360 for another room at Best Buy. Still undecided about the two year replacement plan, although it's almost a given at $59 for two years.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but make sure when any of you buy a new 360 that you get the 175W, "Team FDOU" ones. You can find this this info on the white sticker on the side of the box. This will ensure you're getting the latest round of internal modifications - Falcon CPU, etc. The Walmart guy looked really confused when I told him I wanted to buy a 360 but then looked at the sticker and said "Nah, no thanks..." ;)

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My 360 at the moment is red ringin' but the error is E68...read up about it and it's pretty much an error to do with the hard drive....so I have to take my hard drive out now and push it back in to make my 360 work now.

Coreo on