As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is science badass? The data is positive.

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGYZSGTQ3c not as cool as that awesome science food restaurant, but also a hi-tech sort of food affair place.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    but there's no sense crying over every mistake
    you just keep on trying till you run out of cake
    and the science gets done
    and you make a neat gun
    for the people who are still alive

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bill-nye.jpg

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bill! Bill! BILL! BILL!

Bill Nye the Science Guy!

Fuck I miss that show.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Put stuff in the OP so all the science is right up there and not scattered around.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God I was going to do something similar with the Youtards thread... but there are sooo many videos...

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

God fucking damn Science is awesome.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Awesome.... Awesome and tasty.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    God I was going to do something similar with the Youtards thread... but there are sooo many videos...

Ha ha, yea, that would be.... insane to do. You'd need a dedicated team of data sorters to get it done.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Davoid wrote: »

Ha ha, yea, that would be.... insane to do. You'd need a dedicated team of data sorters to get it done.

Help us Science!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPFoDkGFrU Bill Nye lays the fucking smackdown on Astrology.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPFoDkGFrU Bill Nye lays the fucking smackdown on Astrology.

Never heard of him untill now... and now I must find more of him. There goes my sleep

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjpVQbNpGKo

This is a television show opening many of us grew up on. I know I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnTCyf5s9B8

talking about abiogenesis on the old Bill Nye the Science Guy show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAHxNJnUf0s

Cloning, on Eyes of Nye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmpLGGET6Qg&feature=related

Bill Nye - Evolution

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2008
    for anyone in the UK, there's a really interesting Horizon on BBC iPlayer at the moment about gravity

bongi on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ah science. I love you and find you very interesting, but I am bad at you and cannot study you. Therefore I study business.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    for anyone in the UK, there's a really interesting Horizon on BBC iPlayer at the moment about gravity

man this programme is totally insane

a bunch of NASA dudes have been measuring the orbit of the moon using reflectors put there by the apollo missions

they've ascertained that newton's prediction of where the moon should be is actually wrong by about ten metres

and as such they've decided that Newton got it wrong

ten metres, over a quarter of a million miles

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I want to see it, but, I am in Canada.

And yea, Newton was -insane-, Principia is like, a cornerstone of physical sciences.

Before Newton, though, Hipparchus came pretty close, comparing the size of the moon during solar eclipes, and the earths shadow during lunar eclipses, he figured it to be about 63 Earth radius' away. It's a little over 60, so he was pretty close too. But Newton was alot closer.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thank you all for your wonderful praise.

We deserve it.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    When did the church pardon Gallileo?

It took them a long time, I know that.

The Church is consistently about 500 years behind.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2008
    another thing that someone pointed out to me the other day, which i'd never really considered before, which is that at places like CERN where they're doing weird stuff with supercolliders, unless there is another lab on another planet where aliens are doing the same thing, it's probably the only place in the universe that that event is happening

like those dudes who created an einstein-bose condensate by cooling something to very close to absolute 0

unless there's aliens doing the same thing, it was the coldest object in the universe

that's mental

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

man this programme is totally insane

a bunch of NASA dudes have been measuring the orbit of the moon using reflectors put there by the apollo missions

they've ascertained that newton's prediction of where the moon should be is actually wrong by about ten metres

and as such they've decided that Newton got it wrong

ten metres, over a quarter of a million miles

Newton probably made his observations from the third story or something, forgot to factor it in.

Also Bill Nye is Ed Begley Jr's neighbor. He appeared on an episode of Begley's reality TV show, Living With Ed, where it was revealed that Begley and Nye have constant neighborly competition between them as to who can have the "Greenest" house.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone else read the first line in the OP as "Large Hardon Collider"?

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I read it that way -every time-

Also, imagining the 10th Dimension:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Whew, glad i'm not alone on that.

Cerrius on
  • Options
    Sword_of_LightSword_of_Light Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    And you can do science.

High end science. Thanks to the fact that we're living in the future, you can do coolass shit like download remotely sensed information from Mars. Want a surface point map of Mars? Can do - you can download the data from the Mars Orbital Laser Altimeter. You want that in shapefile or e00? What resolution would you like it in? If you got the bandwidth, NASA got the data. I mean think about it - an object in orbit around Mars --> NASA --> your desktop.

Sword_of_Light on
    "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. "
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Science is pretty badass except when you have to stay up to 0200 working on your classical mechanics homework and then have to wake up in four hours.

Yeah, that's not so badass.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    We should start some OpenSource science projects. Use our collective genius for good, rather than this advanced cockdickery.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I usually have to do some extra studies for bio and that, 'cause they ask me to give little presentations and lectures to the class all the time, so I'm usually up late too. I haven't slept since yesterday morning, it's 10:30 am now, but, I'm off school, so I'm just studying all night in my own time.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    And you can do science.

High end science. Thanks to the fact that we're living in the future, you can do coolass shit like download remotely sensed information from Mars. Want a surface point map of Mars? Can do - you can download the data from the Mars Orbital Laser Altimeter. You want that in shapefile or e00? What resolution would you like it in? If you got the bandwidth, NASA got the data. I mean think about it - an object in orbit around Mars --> NASA --> your desktop.

When can we pilot Battlemechs is what I want to know.

Cerrius on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cerrius wrote: »
    And you can do science.

Well, they got a monkey to make a robot walk remotely, and a Neuro-Interface of similar type is what Battlemechs use to maintain their balance, with the help of a gyroscope, of course.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I put up a video somewhere here, in the OP I think, of a robot being controlled by a human brain. Just put some guns on it.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ruckus wrote: »
    And you can do science.

Well, they got a monkey to make a robot walk remotely, and a Neuro-Interface of similar type is what Battlemechs use to maintain their balance, with the help of a gyroscope, of course.

I asked him 'cause his name is a Battletech reference, but I find your battle monkey mechs
    intriguing and would like to subscribe to your ideas and/or newsletter.

Cerrius on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    When are we gonna find a graviton, it's taking for agggeesss

FAQ on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Around the same time we find the luminiferous aether.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ruckus wrote: »
    And you can do science.

I asked him 'cause his name is a Battletech reference, but I find your battle monkey mechs
    intriguing and would like to subscribe to your ideas and/or newsletter.

How is Sword of Light a battletech reference?

Please keep in mind I'm familiar with Inner Sphere history from the Betrayal up to about 3066.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    aether? That is one hell of an out dated concept

FAQ on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2008
    FAQ wrote: »
    When are we gonna find a graviton, it's taking for agggeesss

the programme i mentioned about gravity basically seemed to say 'no-one's really sure'

like, they expected to find it at fermilab but they didn't

and they expect to find it at CERN, but there are no guarantees

it's to do with the fact that they can't actually detect gravitons because they're hypothesised to lie outside of the three spatial dimenions or something stupid

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    A great page I used to frequent when I was much younger on unusual zoology

"Think the real world isn't as exciting as fantasy? Well you're stupid and you're wrong! The daily grind of human society may feel bland and tedious, but there's a whole universe of bizarre, even disturbing lifeforms battling for survival day and night, all around us...and sometimes inside of us. From shape-shifting molluscs to ants that explode, the following pages will fill you in on a variety of creatures you may have never even realized you share a world with."

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I hate gravity

It makes me angry to think that future generations will be all "oh yeah this is what gravity is" and everyone one will know it won't even be a big deal, even the little kiddies will know,

and then I'm gonna look like an idiot.

FAQ on