As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] GMod - Where grown-ass people play with dolls.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Loathing wrote: »
    Steam is version 10. All the versions before 10 were the free ones I believe that the guy released himself until it was bought by Steam/Valve/Whoever.

Nope, in the 'mods' section of.. Free Stuff, I believe it is, there's version 9 available.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I did love this game, though I had a lack of awesome people to play it with. My creations included a huge spaceship with an even huger hammer on top, a chariot driven by roller mines and a weird flying hovercraft thingie driven and steered by jacks (that one was pretty ingenious in my opinion).

Because of my crazy time zone (gmt +1) I doubt I can play with the PA crowd though, if there is one.

Is there one?

Vic on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It links to the website but there's no actual download link available there. Strange.

edit: In reply to Steam having the ver.9 GMOD.

Big Classy on
    edited February 2008
    This is why I should try things out before talking about them as fact. Hmm.. well, there you go, learn something new every day.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SPACEBUILD!

IT HAS FUCKING OUTER SPACE.

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=29356

Also life support, so instead of floating in space forever you freeze to death/run of out oxygen.

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=29357

Best shit ever in spacebuild: me and my friends were having a race to the moon. I finished my spaceship first. So naturally I drop a timed nuke and hightail it the fuck out of there. I'm almost at the moon when it detonates, apparently not far enough from earth though though, and it unwelds my entire spaceship. I was sent careening through space in an airboat chair for a little bit before I ran out of oxygen.

Also this:

EDIT: Portal spoilers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAIl6rqBJg

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Spacebuild can be very fun, if you know what you're doing. Extra points if you know the console commands to change the models of the various devices!

BlueDestiny on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh also, that zombie mod that people used to play a lot (do they still?) is lots of fun. Most maps end up with the people barricading a small room, and then the zombies win by throwing wave after wave of their own men (and headcrabs) at them.

I need to play GMod now.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If anyone wants to throw up a server, I am totally up for a game. I kick the balls off of GMOD.

I played up till version 9 with no mods. From the first beta to version 9 with only basic props. I can build soo much stuff with just boxes and shit.

Wombat!! on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Metal Mallard's structure is mostly done.
    gm_ps_hugeflatconstruct_v20003.jpg

I just need to figure out what type of landing gear I want.
    I went with a bomber instead of a passenger liner. Theres going to be one sittable seat near the bomb bay, for a player to operate the bomb bay doors and ordinance. The rear gondola seat will be for turrets and the like, while the pilot sits atop. That fin mod really helped too. I need to put this into glide testing. I also added a hinged door on the right lower side.

Bearcat on
  • KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I LOVE Gary's mod.

I'm not very good at all, but I've made a few funny things, including a hovercouch that shoots and a death machine (a big wheel with a bench on the side and a turret at the end. It spins around and either hits stuff really hard, shoots stuff, or both)

I still haven't figured out how to put in other mods, except for that space map that was in the video posted earlier (which is a must have by the way).

I downloaded the Pheonix mods, but where do I put all the files? In game I go to where the items should be listed, but all the little pictures that should show what the item is shows "ERROR" in big red letters. HALP.

Kenninator on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    lawl. I just covered a hoverboat in baby dolls. Its the creep-mobile.

Big Classy on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I remade a seen from Silent Hill. Except Pyramid Head became G-Man.

Also, Hover-Tubs are cool.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We should have a competetion to see who can make the coolest looking or most funtional _______.

Like flying machine, or catapult, or seige engine, etc.

Wombat!! on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just get 10, it has a million improvements over 9. Better UI, more tools, full integration of user made stuff, Tf2 models etc etc etc.

Sueve on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Who wants to do a PA server?

Sueve on
  • ANARCHakeANARCHake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ANARCHake wrote: »
    You really have to wonder how many people are taking this game and just making ragdolls touch each other in naughty places.

I touched the Pyro and now it burns when I pee.

If you think that's bad, the Pyro has exactly the opposite problem. That fireproof suit of his fills up pretty fast.

ANARCHake on
    edited February 2008
    I think we should have competitions on who can build the best "what" in multiple categories including, but not limited to, catapults, combustion engines, flying machines, automobiles, boats, and fruit fuckers.

For Gods sake, look at this thing.
    It has an arm cannon, that shoots cargo containers.

Bearcat on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Full Life Consequences video is absolutely amazing.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sacred Cow wrote:
    This was linked on Joystiq a few days ago. Its a reenactment of some fan fiction written by a 9 year old.

My god. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. My roommates woke up because they thought I was choking.

So, naturally, I showed it to them. Not having played HL2, or even heard of Garry's Mod, they had no idea what it was. They called it stupid. D:

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh Dear God, that colossus.

That is awesome.

Rear Admiral Choco on
    edited February 2008
    Im going to be up all night making crap.

But what?

Bearcat on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Loathing wrote: »
    Steam is version 10. All the versions before 10 were the free ones I believe that the guy released himself until it was bought by Steam/Valve/Whoever.

Just a note: It wasn't purchased by Valve. Garry was going to stop working on Gmod after version 9 since it was eating up a huge portion of his time and he wasn't getting paid for it. Eventually Valve convinced him to make a new version to sell on Steam.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bursar wrote: »
    Sacred Cow wrote:
    This was linked on Joystiq a few days ago. Its a reenactment of some fan fiction written by a 9 year old.

My god. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. My roommates woke up because they thought I was choking.

So, naturally, I showed it to them. Not having played HL2, or even heard of Garry's Mod, they had no idea what it was. They called it stupid. D:

I just watched this. You don't have to know what HL2 is to find it funny. Your roomies are retarded. D:

Henroid on
    edited February 2008
    Bearcat wrote: »
    I think we should have competitions on who can build the best "what" in multiple categories including, but not limited to, catapults, combustion engines, flying machines, automobiles, boats, and fruit fuckers.

I've always thought a 'Wacky Races' or Scrapheap Challenge/Junkyard Wars style game would be perfect for this, give people a whole bunch of crap to work with, let them make a vehicle of choice, then race it around some kind of circuit while trying to blow the crap out of each other.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

I've always thought a 'Wacky Races' or Scrapheap Challenge/Junkyard Wars style game would be perfect for this, give people a whole bunch of crap to work with, let them make a vehicle of choice, then race it around some kind of circuit while trying to blow the crap out of each other.

Those are always great. Until someone (usually me >_>) starts attaching explosives to the undersides of all the loose objects and setting them off at random :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • DudeMaYnDudeMaYn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You really have to wonder how many people are taking this game and just making ragdolls touch each other in naughty places.

I touched the Pyro and now it burns when I pee.

If you think that's bad, the Pyro has exactly the opposite problem. That fireproof suit of his fills up pretty fast.

So....

It pees when he burns?

Wouldn't that be the opposite? :)

DudeMaYn on
    steam_sig.png
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sueve wrote: »

god yes

Seta 3000 on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seta 3000 wrote: »

god yes

Sounds like a plan. Or if no one can do that, we could all crash a random server without too many people on it that's already up.

Food on
    edited February 2008
    Food wrote: »
    Seta 3000 wrote: »

god yes

Sounds like a plan. Or if no one can do that, we could all crash a random server without too many people on it that's already up.

DO IT

do it

Bearcat on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorry to be a noob in all this, but do you need HL2 on your computer to download Gmod or can you just get it stand alone?

Xtarath on
    edited February 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Sorry to be a noob in all this, but do you need HL2 on your computer to download Gmod or can you just get it stand alone?

I don't know... but hey... you want Half-Life 2? I still haven't gifted it from when I bought the orange box.

Food on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Somebody make a server immediately. All my friends are dirty mingebags.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »

You'll need HL2 or HL2:DM at least. If you have CSS or DoD:S then you can use their assets in Gmod also.

BlueDestiny on
    edited February 2008
    I think we should start a server and/or all join one.
    Preferably soon.

Bearcat on
    edited February 2008
    I think we should start a server and/or all join one.
    Preferably soon.

Name one. Right now. My rig can't handle hosting my own.

Btw, we should change the title and make this a game on thread. Need more soouuuullsss

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So whenever I spawn a TF2 sentry, I can't move it and it sinks into the ground. I can't even grab it with the PhysGun. Anyone know what's going on?

wobblyheadedbob on
    edited February 2008
    Science!
    gm_flatgrass0003-1.jpg
    What has it done???!

Ill browse around for a good server.

Edit:
    Ill be on 69.12.100.228:27016.
    Low ping and empty.

Edit:
    Ahhh what? When I try and connect online it tells me my Steam validation was rejected?

Bearcat on
    edited February 2008
    I'm seeing a few server's we could use. 'Supe7nova's server is back !!!' looks good... 88 ping and 0/16 players at the moment. Anyone in?

Food on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Food wrote: »
    I'm seeing a few server's we could use. 'Supe7nova's server is back !!!' looks good... 88 ping and 0/16 players at the moment. Anyone in?

In case you didn't get the PM my SteamID is Xtarath(I'm unoriginal.) for the Half-Life 2 gift. Also if anyone wants to add me as a friend, just say your from Pa.

Xtarath on
    edited February 2008
    I will join soon, but I have to finish up an MSPaint first. So maybe 20ish minutes. >.<

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg