As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gaming podcasts

13»

• TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Please. No Mielke. He's an overgrown troll. Nothing more.

Shawn Elliott would work though.

TwistedJester on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I forgot to mention Broken Pixels. Seanbaby ragging on old games more than makes up for having to include Shane and that other keyboard biscuit in the show.

Broken Pixels is maybe my least favorite thing on 1UP podcasts. It's like, sometimes the old games themselves are pretty funny, but Seanbaby is just immature and annoying.

bruin on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Please. No Mielke. He's an overgrown troll. Nothing more.

jesus, thank you. I thought I was the only one.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Yeah, our tastes are rather different. :)

I actually think Hsu/Shoe's interest in Halo 3 is a normal, or even good, thing. The "in-thing" for gamers and critics seems to be to hate on Halo, just because it's so popular and mainstream. It's like you aren't taken seriously on forums if you like that game. Sure, forget the fact that millions of gamers do like it and couldn't care less about what the gaming "elitists" think about it.

Sometimes it seems like Dan Hsu is the only guy that likes the game, which is odd considering just how popular the game is with the masses. A 20-minute conversation about it's DLC seems absolutely normal and expected, seeing how popular the game is. Heck, they've spent just as much time talking about Bioshock, Portal, and other notable/popular titles too, and I don't see people complaining.

I should point out that while I enjoyed Halo 3, I'm not a huge fan of it either (I did campaign mode and that's it). Nor did I really care about the DLC. But Hsu's interest in that title seems completely expected to me. After all, I can't expect them to only cover titles that I'm 100% interested in, and naturally they're going to focus a lot of attention on popular games.

Bull. I have no problem with him liking Halo but that doesn't mean he needs to talk about it every single podcast he's on. Plus when it comes to describing games, he's basically the polar opposite of Shawn Elliot. Whereas Shawn can make a bloody Submarine sim sound completely awesome, Shoe makes an online shooter sound ridiculously boring.

As for the talk about Bioshock and Portal, I found the discussion about them a lot different. First off, the discussions didn't get really into the details, so even if you hadn't played the game you'd still be pretty interested in the discussion. And secondly, they still didn't talk about those two games as much as they did with Halo 3.

Oh and there's a lot of Halo fanatics at EGM , it's just that a lot of them don't appear on the podcasts. There's a bunch of interns they call up when they have the competitions.

Anyway, Mielke's cool in small portions on the 1UP Show but yeah, he does get pretty tiresome on the podcasts. He's the worst when he's on a podcast with Shane because Mielke will spend the entire podcast baiting him.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • nickystixxnickystixx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still enjoy listening to The HotSpot, gamespot's weekly podcast.

nickystixx on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Yeah, our tastes are rather different. :)

I actually think Hsu/Shoe's interest in Halo 3 is a normal, or even good, thing. The "in-thing" for gamers and critics seems to be to hate on Halo, just because it's so popular and mainstream. It's like you aren't taken seriously on forums if you like that game. Sure, forget the fact that millions of gamers do like it and couldn't care less about what the gaming "elitists" think about it.

Sometimes it seems like Dan Hsu is the only guy that likes the game, which is odd considering just how popular the game is with the masses. A 20-minute conversation about it's DLC seems absolutely normal and expected, seeing how popular the game is. Heck, they've spent just as much time talking about Bioshock, Portal, and other notable/popular titles too, and I don't see people complaining.

I should point out that while I enjoyed Halo 3, I'm not a huge fan of it either (I did campaign mode and that's it). Nor did I really care about the DLC. But Hsu's interest in that title seems completely expected to me. After all, I can't expect them to only cover titles that I'm 100% interested in, and naturally they're going to focus a lot of attention on popular games.

Bull. I have no problem with him liking Halo but that doesn't mean he needs to talk about it every single podcast he's on. Plus when it comes to describing games, he's basically the polar opposite of Shawn Elliot. Whereas Shawn can make a bloody Submarine sim sound completely awesome, Shoe makes an online shooter sound ridiculously boring.

As for the talk about Bioshock and Portal, I found the discussion about them a lot different. First off, the discussions didn't get really into the details, so even if you hadn't played the game you'd still be pretty interested in the discussion. And secondly, they still didn't talk about those two games as much as they did with Halo 3.

Oh and there's a lot of Halo fanatics at EGM , it's just that a lot of them don't appear on the podcasts. There's a bunch of interns they call up when they have the competitions.

Anyway, Mielke's cool in small portions on the 1UP Show but yeah, he does get pretty tiresome on the podcasts. He's the worst when he's on a podcast with Shane because Mielke will spend the entire podcast baiting him.

Mielke did a pretty awesome job on the Starcraft 2 coverage though. He knows his shit.

Shoe though, I mean I like Halo as much as the next man but it is silly to talk about it every fucking day and compare it to every fucking game.

The_Scarab on
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    nickystixx wrote: »
    I still enjoy listening to The HotSpot, gamespot's weekly podcast.
    I used to really enjoy the HotSpot before Gertsmann was fired. I hate most of their opinions, but it was a pretty entertaining podcast regardless.

TwistedJester on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I liked Luke, but the show didn't suffer like I thought it would after he left. It was when John took off that the show started falling apart.

This.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know this is an old thread but I'm new here so forgive :P

Anyway podcasts of choice for me are (in order of preference):

GFW Radio
    OneLifeLeft
    Video Game Show (from Gamercast Network)
    Evil Avatar Radio

Then of course there is my own! Yes foul cheap plug incoming! I've been doing a couple of podcasts since 2005 with 'Kropotkin's UK Gaming News' being a weekly round up of what's been happening over the past week in the UK and Europe. My other podcast is called The Superhappyfuntimeshow and is a half hour show that covers all things gaming related and is co-hosted by Hendrix. The unique point to the show is that I'm in the UK whilst Hendrix is from the US so all the views are covered for both sides of the Atlantic.

Feel free to check the shows out.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• BbajBbaj Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GFW radio is so good. 1up yours is my second favorite.

Bbaj on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scarab, I know you've been campaigning for Jeff for 4th chair one 1upYours, a choice I wouldn't mind seeing myself, but it looks as though Shawn "not cut out for 1upYours" Elliott has scored it :

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234723

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1up Yours may be on the upswing now!

Shawn Elliot is my hero.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Smarmy LechSmarmy Lech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    polaris314 wrote: »
    Scarab, I know you've been campaigning for Jeff for 4th chair one 1upYours, a choice I wouldn't mind seeing myself, but it looks as though Shawn "not cut out for 1upYours" Elliott has scored it :

This is awesome news.

1up yours is saved.

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's cool. I honestly think he's a better fit than Jeff, since he's more aggressive and argumentative, which is probably what's needed in the presence of Shane and Garnett. Looking forward to next week!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

<3<3<3<3<3

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I listen to two gaming podcasts:

Sarcastic Gamer Podcast

http://www.videogameshow.org/

Both are "general video game news" shows, but they do a good job reporting the big stuff in the gaming community. I really like that they take the short format and keep their shows around 30 minutes in length. Both shows have great casts and I find myself laughing out loud to the things they say.

Plus, the Video Game Show does a "This Week In Video Game Deaths" segment; nothing beats hearing about how some Chinese kid murdered his grandma because she wouldn't let him play WoW.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So Play Digital is a nice video podcast. Well organized video game reviews and a voice you can actually listen to.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure how I feel about Shawn Elliot being on 1up yours. I mean he's far and away the most interesting guy when you get him started on a subject, and he genuinely comes up with stuff that ought to be listened too at times. But a lot of 1up yours is just a console wars pissing match, and I think with Garnett and Shane and John they managed to keep that going to quite a sensible level, where it was at least enjoyable. With the absense of John and then some very dubious 3rd and 4th chairs it really got insanely out of hand with Garnett practically losing the plot each week. I just can't help think that Shawn's going to end up a bit diluted by the time he does the brodeo.

Rook on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Shawn is an acceptable alternative.

Especially as we actually get Black Dragon himself on todays show.

I could not be more pleased
    I could, but that would require Jeff for chair 05 and Ryan for chair 06

The_Scarab on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jeff was pretty cool on today's podcast

also shane calling out the smash nitpickers was pretty good

I think that was shane

shane and garnett sound pretty similar to me

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I think that was shane

If the person in question peppers their speech with "Sony" an awful lot, it's probably Shane. If they describe something as sooooooooooooooooooooooooo <insert adjective>, it's Garnett.

EDIT : No offense meant to either of them; just pointing out their mannerisms. ;-)

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shane also starts every sentence with "wul". As in, "Wul the PS3 is selling very well," or "Wul the PSP is doing well in Japan since the slim," or "Wul Monster Hunter 2 is a phenomonon".

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Shawn Elliot?

1UP Yours is saaaaaaved

bruin on
    edited February 2008

I think that was shane

If the person in question peppers their speech with "Sony" an awful lot, it's probably Shane. If they describe something as sooooooooooooooooooooooooo <insert adjective>, it's Garnett.

:| I don't get why people still run around calling Shane a Sony fanboy when he named Mario Galaxy as his 2007 GOTY. He's a massive Nintendo fan as well and if you don't know that, then you've obviously not listened to 1UP Yours much.

Anyway, I like Shawn but he's already on a podcast I listen to every week, so I would've preferred Andrew or Simon. I really enjoyed the couple of times they were on 1UP Yours. Plus, Simon's british.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited February 2008
    Andrew's busy producing the show

bruin on
    edited February 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    Andrew's busy producing the show

Hasn't Garnett hosted and produced the show at the same time before?

Unco-ordinated on