As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Love that dare not speak its name...

JeJBJeJB Registered User new member
edited February 2008 in PAX Archive
Just wondering if any PAX goers dabble in the love that dare not speak its name ;-)

Would love to get a group of out of town geeky 'mo's to head out the bars on Capitol Hill with!

JeJB on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Um... what?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thank you wikipedia

"...it is classically interpreted as a euphemism for homosexuality."

Not that I am. Just a trivia buff.

SlickShughes on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thank you wikipedia

"...it is classically interpreted as a euphemism for homosexuality."

Not that I am. Just a trivia buff.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

And yes, there were some planned events for PAXers of said persuasion last year, but I don't recall them being on the PA forums.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I fully support the idea of homosexual PAX goers hanging out and having a good time together, but they should hang out with the rest of us as well. What I am trying to say is, don't segregate yourselves, hang out with all of us!

I am under the impression that a very large portion of heterosexual Penny Arcade fans are not against interacting with homosexuals.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You have no idea how much willpower I had to exert not to conclude my post with that.

SlickShughes on
  • ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh I was really hoping you meant Cthulhu worship... well maybe another group.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aye, I imagine us nerds are the most accepting group a person is likely to find, so don't feel the need to segregate yourselves! We're down with the gay/straight connection.

In fact, I made a nerd-friendly endorsement of gay marriage last year after seeing one of those moronic "Marriage = Man + Woman" bumper stickers... hopefully all you electrical engineers will get a kick out of this one:

marriage_shirts_FromLW-1.png

Also, some more for "logic" nerds:

With translations for the non-logic nerds ;)

gaymarriage_expression_complex_1.png
    (for all marriage, marriage = (man and woman) or (man and man) or (woman and woman))

gaymarriage_back.png
    (a union b, which refers to the other two images)

gaymarriage_expression_simple_1.png
    (for some marriage, marriage does not equal man and woman)

But yeah, I'm sure there are exceptions, but by and large we nerds are very open minded. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited February 2008
    Well when other folks don't accept us by and large we have to accept each other or we're just in a whole ton of trouble.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The worst thing you could do is segregate yourselves and reduce the number of people we have to play games and drinks with. Jerks. :P

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, I kinda got that the second time I read it. Does that say something about me?.....Wait, no. Still love vagina. But I would imagine you could find some great bum fun at PAX. Probably a lot easier than finding a girl to hook up with. I go with the mindset that I am not going for girls at all. That way I can avoid staring at the one that walks by every 30 seconds or so.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
    edited February 2008
    collinc wrote: »
    Wow, I kinda got that the second time I read it. Does that say something about me?.....Wait, no. Still love vagina. But I would imagine you could find some great bum fun at PAX. Probably a lot easier than finding a girl to hook up with. I go with the mindset that I am not going for girls at all. That way I can avoid staring at the one that walks by every 30 seconds or so.

...?

VThornheart on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

...?

What I think he's trying to say is. That PAX is not a place you go to pick up girls. Which is fair to say due to the fact, you go to build on the bond of yr. fellow gamers. And I guess he believe that there is more homosexual men going, and looking to 'meet up'. Then there is heterosexual women going, to do the same. I don't think that's true. Due to a guy, who was gay, and hanging out with us(my friends and me). And he didn't go out of his way to get some ass. He was just there to play games with other people and have fun like anyone gay or not.

But I'm sure there are the few homosexuals that have the same idea as heterosexuals, 'Maybe I'll get lucky.'

Highfire on
  • K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Intentionally segregating ourselves is the worst idea I've heard for PAX yet. Lock this thread. I for one won't be making a thread saying "Any straight people wanna go chill?"

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the original poster just wanted to see if anyone wanted to check out the local Gay Bar scene.

I wanna take you to a GAY BAR GAY BAR GAY BAR...

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited February 2008
    Maybe we should just stop making broad sweeping generalizations and assumptions about folk? Unless they're Cthulhu worshippers that is.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • monkmunkmonkmunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

OH! How i want that on a shirt or bumper sticker, for serious! Have you Cafe Press'd that bad boy yet?

monkmunk on
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    I wanna take you to a GAY BAR GAY BAR GAY BAR...

Electric Six FTW!

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
    edited February 2008
    Well you got most of it right, but I wasn't saying anything about them having a better chance of getting ass because they're looking for it. I was implying there were more gay guys than women.

collinc on
    edited February 2008
    Highfire wrote: »

...?

What I think he's trying to say is. That PAX is not a place you go to pick up girls. Which is fair to say due to the fact, you go to build on the bond of yr. fellow gamers. And I guess he believe that there is more homosexual men going, and looking to 'meet up'. Then there is heterosexual women going, to do the same. I don't think that's true. Due to a guy, who was gay, and hanging out with us(my friends and me). And he didn't go out of his way to get some ass. He was just there to play games with other people and have fun like anyone gay or not.

But I'm sure there are the few homosexuals that have the same idea as heterosexuals, 'Maybe I'll get lucky.'

Ahhh... I think I read it wrong originally. I thought he was talking about how you could use PAX as a way to pick people up, which disturbed me a little. =) But upon re-reading it, I see now that it's not what he was saying. =)

monkmunk wrote: »

OH! How i want that on a shirt or bumper sticker, for serious! Have you Cafe Press'd that bad boy yet?

Shoot... I could if you want! I had thought about it at one point, but never followed up on it... hmm...

Lemme see if I can make a CafePress store for it real quick. Be right back =)

EDIT: NOW I know why i didn't do it... I didn't know at the time how to get the images to size right. I have Paint.NET now which should help with that, it'll take a little bit though to do the resizing and stuff I need. I'll let you know when I get it figured out and post it up. =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2008
    There we go collinc, I finally got off my butt and put them up on CafePress:

http://www.cafepress.com/leftgeek

I should've done it a long time ago, but I got frustrated because I had no idea how to get it the right way. They should hopefully come out good now, I re-made them in super-high resolution and then used that high-res version to scale down to their predefined templates. Hopefully that should do it. =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2008
    I like how they're proud that three of the random shirts are made in the US.

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited February 2008
    There we go collinc, I finally got off my butt and put them up on CafePress:

http://www.cafepress.com/leftgeek

I should've done it a long time ago, but I got frustrated because I had no idea how to get it the right way. They should hopefully come out good now, I re-made them in super-high resolution and then used that high-res version to scale down to their predefined templates. Hopefully that should do it. =)

Sir, I like the way you do things.

KaitouAyashi on
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I don't get why they do that =) (the "Made in the USA" thing =) )

Hopefully you guys find it useful! =) I can't get a "premium store", so I could only put up one of the designs out of the three I had there (they only let you put up one of each kind of item at the most with the "free store")... but if for some unknown reason people buy enough of the stuff there that I can pay for the premium store, that'll be the first thing that I do. I'll get all the designs up there, and give choices between just having it on the front and having it on the front and back... as it was, I had to kind of guess which ones people might want it to have the back on. =(

EDIT: One thing I've been thinking about... should the top part (before the predicate logic) say "x = a U b" like it does now, or should it come right out and say something like "Gay Marriage: It's Only Logical"? I made the license plate frame say that to see how it works, and it looks good... but I thought that a Union b was clever. =) If you guys like one or the other more, let me know. =)

VThornheart on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008

You have no idea how much willpower I had to exert not to conclude my post with that.

How were they organized, then?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • JeJBJeJB Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I wasn't implying trying to segregate or anything ;o)

Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to hit up a gay bar or 2... although ANYONE gay or straight would certainly be welcome! Just not too many straight guy friends go out to the gay bars very often.. which is totally ridiculous... do you have ANY idea how many times my straight brother gets hit on at Gay bars by girls? It's crazy..

JeJB on
    edited February 2008
    Does he dress like a JRPG character when he goes out?

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JeJB wrote: »

Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to hit up a gay bar or 2... although ANYONE gay or straight would certainly be welcome! Just not too many straight guy friends go out to the gay bars very often.. which is totally ridiculous... do you have ANY idea how many times my straight brother gets hit on at Gay bars by girls? It's crazy..

What, may I ask, are the girls doing there? Aren't they technically lesbian if they're at a gay bar? Because if they're bisexual then :winky:

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    A lot of straight girls go to gay bars so they don't have to deal with being hit on by your standard skeezball bar guy.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gay bars are awesome places to meet straight chicks!

I'm from San Francisco originally and my friend and I would hit up this one gay karaoke bar all the time. Singing C&C Music Factory's "Everybody Dance Now" at a gay bar is always a hit ;). I am dead serious.

waffleboi9 on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »

What, may I ask, are the girls doing there? Aren't they technically lesbian if they're at a gay bar? Because if they're bisexual then :winky:

Girls at gay bars are technically lesbians? I thought that was a sexual preference, not a drinking buddy preference. :P

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    Archgarth wrote: »

Girls at gay bars are technically lesbians? I thought that was a sexual preference, not a drinking buddy preference. :P

See, where you're getting mixed up is what dictates sexual orientation. You see, the places where you go is what decides if you're gay or straight. If you go into a gay bar, then if you aren't gay or bi already you automatically become gay, until you go to a football game if you're a guy or the mall if you're a girl.

It's science.

Aydr on
    edited February 2008

*g* The local establishment up here has been the straight hot spot for YEARS. Most heteros I know met their last hookup/bf/gf at the local gay bar. It's also popular because of the strict zero tolerance for harassment policy, diverse music, and unique events - just a kickass place all around.

KaitouAyashi on
    edited February 2008
    It's also popular because of the strict zero tolerance for harassment policy

Hrmm, could you please elaborate on this policy?

waffleboi9 on
    edited February 2008
    Um... basically the club doesn't tolerate any harassment of any kind for any reason at any time. The bouncers aren't overzealous pricks; they listen to people and immediately 86 people from the club who don't follow the rules. Any type of verbal, physical harassment or action that makes people feel unsafe - you're gone.

Basically they've created an environment where anyone and everyone can show up, be themselves, dance, drink, and have a great time without worrying about people being drunken obnoxious jerks or aggressive advances/touching. Hetero, LGBT and everything in between - everyone gets along and the scene is chill. Way better than most places I've been.

For the record, I'm talking about a club in Bellingham named Rumours.

KaitouAyashi on
    edited February 2008
    Interesting...so what's to prevent people from just 86'ing people they don't like and claiming it's harassment?

I'm asking because this is really interesting to me; I've never heard of a place with such a policy. I'd probably get kicked out of way more bars if I had =D.

waffleboi9 on
    edited February 2008
    That's a pretty sweet store Thorn. Amazing how quick you can open a t-shirt store on the internet.

On the gay bar discussion, I've always avoided them. I understand it's a great way to pick up straight girls, but it continues to boggle my mind. Like how girls want guys to treat them like dirt. I've come to terms with that one, and practice it. But I need more time with the gay bar.

collinc on
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So...if gay bars are becoming a good place for single, hetero girls to hang out and, therefore, a place single, hetero guys want to hang out, then won't they sort of defeat what I understood to be one of the original purposes for having a gay bar?? :D And then shouldn't it just be called a bar?

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
    edited February 2008
    waffleboi9 on
    edited February 2008
    waffleboi9 wrote: »
    Interesting...so what's to prevent people from just 86'ing people they don't like and claiming it's harassment?

I'm asking because this is really interesting to me; I've never heard of a place with such a policy. I'd probably get kicked out of way more bars if I had =D.

Technically nothing. I see that you live in LA so the concept might seem a bit foreign to you (I have close friends who live in LA and WeHo), but there is still honor and goodness out there in the world. The owners and staff at Rumours have always been awesome. Most of them have been working there for several years, know the regulars, know the scene, and how to do their jobs with fairness and integrity.

At the end of the day, the goal was a place where those who live or seek an "alternative" lifestyle can feel acknowledged, welcomes, and accepted. You know...kinda like PAX for gamers. The vibe is wholly different from any other hetero place I've been to. Hardly any disrespectful behavior, unwanted groping, violence, etc that I've noticed or heard about. I'm not saying it's a utopia, I'm sure shit goes down now and again - it's a bar and shitheels get in like anyplace else. The difference is how the staff and community react and protect it.

KaitouAyashi on
    edited February 2008
    That's a pretty sweet store Thorn. Amazing how quick you can open a t-shirt store on the internet.

On the gay bar discussion, I've always avoided them. I understand it's a great way to pick up straight girls, but it continues to boggle my mind. Like how girls want guys to treat them like dirt. I've come to terms with that one, and practice it. But I need more time with the gay bar.

=) Aye, I had been planning to for a long time... back in the last election, when there were a lot of jerks talking about how gay marriage shouldn't be allowed. I wanted to open a CafePress store and spread some good cheer... but I got frustrated because I didn't know how to get the image to size right. But I know now! =)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.