As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TIE Fighter - The Last Straw

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You get the lightsaber because the pilot is actually force sensitive, and gets the emperor's attention with the whole secret order stuff

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I always laughed when I saw z-95s show up.

StormyWaters on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The game doesn't actually get ridiculous with the new TIEs until the expansion missions kick in. Heck if I remember correctly the last regular mission in the original game is the one where you and Vader save the Emperor.

Even still the expansion is awesome with the mini coup and the eventual destruction of most of the Missile Gunboats and TIE Defenders. You fly the last mission entirely in the TIE Advance.

Also, the whole beginning bit where you fly TIEs and TIE Bombers makes you a better pilot for when you actually fly the advanced craft. I remember the first Interceptor mission well. It makes it a better game.

You actually spend most of the game fighting pirates and imperial betrayers. This is a good thing because killing A wings is no fun.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Ergandar wrote: »

YOU...THE EMPEROR'S STOOL PIDGEON-TIME TO DIE! (paraphrased)

Greatest mission of all time.

I usually eliminated my wingmen in the initial few seconds, then dogfighted (dogfaught?) with those irritating advanced fighters and bombers which had shields, where my interceptor merely had speed.

I never called in reinforcements, I assumed that they would not arrive. D:

Well you made an ass of you and...well just you really.

Well, I managed to win.

Am I that hardcore?

Yes, yes I am

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tie Fighter is the best space sim ever because you got to fly the motherfuckin Tie Interceptor, which is only the coolest fighter craft in the infinity of space and time, except the Tie Advanced which is also the most motherfuckin awesome fighter craft in the infinity of space and time, except for the Tie Defender which is ALSO the most motherfuckin ninja pumped badass pwnage-bringing fighter craft in the infinity of space and time.

I think I need a kleenex.

Rigor Mortis on
  • EngelNULEngelNUL Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    EngelNUL wrote: »
    :words:

Everything you said is absolutely true.

And thanks to you, you asshat, I now have 5.5 agonizing hours of being at work before I can go play Tie Fighter.

Way to go.

At least you still HAVE the game.

Hell, I even have my original Tie95 disc. It, Mechwarrior 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic II/III will NEVER be out of sight for long....

EngelNUL on
    Pokemanz Soul Silverz: 2837 2607 9912

"How pathetic, they must really want to die flying those Z-95 Headhunters"

"Historians exercise great power and some of them know it. They recreate the past, changing it to fit their own interpretations. Thus, they change the future as well." - Leto II
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also, the whole beginning bit where you fly TIEs and TIE Bombers makes you a better pilot for when you actually fly the advanced craft. I remember the first Interceptor mission well. It makes it a better game.

It makes for a weird, but funny skill level curve. You spend the first few missions scared to death because you're just a flying steel capsule where one shot will kill you. Then, at the end when they start giving you ships with shields, you're purposefully dumping your shields so you can have max speed and lasers.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think flying missions for the secret order pretty much made TIE fighter. That, and the fact that you weren't "olol EVILZ", it was just potrayed as another side to the conflict which you never see in the fiction.

Plus, it was awesome when after the final Mission the Emperor is like "We are here to HONOUR one who has served the empire." Sweet, eat THAT Luke Skywalker, at least I didn't have to wear a crappy jacket to MY medallion ceremony!

Plus I really loved the story in the manual detailing the pilot's back history and how he comes to be an Imperial pilot. It's a shame I never got the strategy guide, apparently they continued the story further in there. What was it called, "The Steele Chronicles" or something?

subedii on
  • ArceleborArcelebor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thank you, Parkingtigers.

I'd much rather fight huge waves of shieldless enemies than nip away at B-Wings. The only reason that could suck would be if there was a player in the TIEs getting vaped every 3 seconds, but ignoring that there's no question it's more fun to be in the cooler fighter against overwhelming numbers. I believe I recall the later missions in X-Wing expansions holding back a few T/As so it was almost like a boss battle, take out the hordes of minions and then face the real challenge.

Granted, ISDs in the original game were nearly defenseless once you removed their fighter cover. They'd just sit and let you take out their preposterously-vulnerable shield generators, firing slowly in easily-dodged bursts. But Alliance took care of that, giving you hordes of enemies and capital ships that would make you crap your pants when you got too close. (Wh-where'd my shields go?)

TIE Fighter was at least respectable when they would do the appropriate missions, launching you with waves of your vulnerable comrades into immediate battle. But the moment they gave me the uber-fighter (TIE-Defender) or the absolutely silly missile boat, I completely lost any sense of being in epic battles.

(Let it be said that Alliance managed to recapture that early TIE feel in several missions by having your home ship under attack.)

I've got a game design document I've cobbled together out of pure frustration with no longer being able to find a good space sim. It's part X-Wing: Alliance, part Jumpgate (custom parts, sign me up), part Descent, and part Battlestar Galactica. Imagining a cool game without the ability to make it doesn't quite fulfill the same desire for space sim fun, though.

~Mark

Arcelebor on
    edited February 2008
    ^I'm surprised you didn't put Freespace in there somewhere.

subedii on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    subedii wrote: »

He doesn't like TIE Fighter, there's obviously something wrong with him.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the problem with TIE fighters is they're apparently made out of glue and cardboard

I mean, seriously, did you ever try to play Rogue Leader with the TIE fighter

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the problem with TIE fighters is they're apparently made out of glue and cardboard

I mean, seriously, did you ever try to play Rogue Leader with the TIE fighter

That's the whole charm of them. I think one of the briefings came out and said it, "You are now a TIE fighter pilot. You have a life expectancy of 3 minutes. ...Well, off on your first mission now!"

And also why seasoned pilots are so respected. If you've lived that long inside nothing but a tin can, you must be packing some serious skill. I'd hate to meet the imperial version of Wedge Antillies.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Plus I really loved the story in the manual detailing the pilot's back history and how he comes to be an Imperial pilot. It's a shame I never got the strategy guide, apparently they continued the story further in there. What was it called, "The Steele Chronicles" or something?

/me glances over at bookshelf, between "Masters of Doom" and "Birds Are Weird."

It's "The Stele Chronicles." And yes, it's awesome.

The iMuse system was amazing...it's a shame that a new version hasn't been incorporated in later games. Seriously, that really added to the atmosphere in a way that a scripted soundtrack can never hope to. It drew you into the game, and into the Star Wars universe.

Flying for the Empire was great, and the story took you very much behinds the scenes, showing you what you never saw in the movies. And the Inner Circle was a brilliant story-telling technique as well. There were so many awesome parts of the story...flying as Vader's wingman, the aforementioned "call for reinforcements" mission, etc. Betrayal was par for the course, and you always felt like you were just a small part of a much larger universe.

And Vader saying, "Abort mission...mission a failure" will haunt me for the rest of my natural life.

AnakinOU on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I played the demo of tie fighter. I played it again and again and again. I killed everything living on the screen and was fighting off waves of a-wings until finally the game just started spawning ones with homing missiles that fired more than one at a time and I was in a lone tie fighter without any shields.

But I'd try again...and again.... I actually really enjoyed the random deaths in that demo, doing a big strafing run on the rebels and dodging in between their fire like a crazy mofo, or being side swiped by a guy you didn't even see. Ah...to be 13 again. Pew pew.
    Never played the full game though. Didn't have control of my own finances at that point. :(

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

He doesn't like TIE Fighter, there's obviously something wrong with him.

Tie Fighter is the only game that can beat freespace 2 for awesomeness.

You get to fly with Darth Vader as your wingman. I dare any game to top that.

Also, as many people have already mentioned, the way you're portrayed makes the game so enjoyable. You're just keeping the peace and protecting the empire from terrorists etc. One of the campaigns involved stopping a civil war if i remember correctly. And you restored the peace....by shooting the shit out of both sides. It was there fault for flying lots of Y-Wings to be fair.

Karl on
  • ofthefountainofthefountain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Arcelebor wrote: »
    I've got a game design document I've cobbled together out of pure frustration with no longer being able to find a good space sim. It's part X-Wing: Alliance, part Jumpgate (custom parts, sign me up), part Descent, and part Battlestar Galactica. Imagining a cool game without the ability to make it doesn't quite fulfill the same desire for space sim fun, though.

~Mark

Ever try Independence War 2? That was an beautifully done game that never caught on.

ofthefountain on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The fantastic voice acting and overall storytelling never made up for the fact that the game stopped feeling like Star Wars to me. Long dogfights grinding down the shields of ships, missiles filling the sky, this is not the nippy "two hits your are dead" combat we see in the movies. So, failure.

So I guess you won't be looking forward to The Force Unleashed eh?

And when did Rebel fighters have shields in the movie? I do not remember this at all.

They mention them a few times in Star Wars, in the Death Star attack.

Well, checking on the Internet, they actually say "deflectors", but same thing. It's not like you see any of the Rebel fighters take more than 2 hits before going up in a fireball, though.

Orogogus on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well the falcon did come with it's own planetary deflector bubble. That ship took so many hits during the course of the movies, all the people shooting at it must have had lasers at minimum.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2008
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Well, checking on the Internet, they actually say "deflectors", but same thing. It's not like you see any of the Rebel fighters take more than 2 hits before going up in a fireball, though.

Maybe they diverted shields to lasers.

Tube on
    edited February 2008
    It makes sense though. It's a deflector not a shield. If you get hit direct on, it probably just goes straight through. I think this was referenced many times by solo. "We can't survive a direct hit" etc etc.

In the end though the rebels went boom because booms are pretty and it adds DRAMA ooooh.

Morninglord on
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tie Fighter was interesting but X-Wing was always the more enjoyable experience for me. Some of the missions were diabolical in how they made you squeeze every last ounce of power from your fighter. ie: sprint to one section of the level, then dump all shield and laser power into your engines to get to the other side of the map in time to recharge and continue the fight. Just awesome.

And I remember that A-Wing recon mission that was mentioned above. I was so annoyed when I managed to wipe out much of the opposition and then come home to an ass chewing. Still... it was great stuff.

Alliance was good. Too many family missions...but not enough in a stupid sort of way. Cliffhanger endings suck when there isn't a sequel coming.

Error on
    edited February 2008
    It makes sense though. It's a deflector not a shield. If you get hit direct on, it probably just goes straight through. I think this was referenced many times by solo. "We can't survive a direct hit" etc etc.

In the end though the rebels went boom because booms are pretty and it adds DRAMA ooooh.

That does make sense, the only time an Imperial scored a direct hit on anything it was an accident. :lol:

Kagera on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Oh, I just remembered that mission in X-Wing. D:

Cover a medical frigate until it can jump away or something.

STD jumps in, drops a bunch of TIE Bombers, jumps out. You haul ass over there.

STD jumps in again on the other side of the frigate, drops more bombers. You hope you finish the first bombers fast enough and then haul ass over there.

Repeat a few times. God damn was that mission hard to do without losing the frigate.

Echo on
  • HybridzergHybridzerg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Echo wrote: »

STD jumps in again on the other side of the frigate, drops more bombers. You hope you finish the first bombers fast enough and then haul ass over there.

Repeat a few times. God damn was that mission hard to do without losing the frigate.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think I played the original X-Wing waay back in the day on a really old mac. I have vague memories of star destroyers and some weird level where you had to navigate a maze of huge crystals.
    Anyways, a game I have been enjoying for quite a while now is Star Wars: Battlefront II for xbox (it's BC). It has some really fun infantry combat, but my favorite part is the space battle mode. Each side has 2 main capital ships, in which spawn pilots, fighters, bombers, shuttles, etc. and one some levels there are supporting ships such as an Interdictor or a Corellian frigate. You can choose between 4 ship classes to fly in: Light fighters (A-Wing, TIE Interceptor, etc.), Medium fighters (X-Wing, TIE Fighter), Bombers (TIE Bomber, Y-Wing), or a shuttle (Lambda for the Empire), which can carry several passengers to the enemy's docking bay to sabotage their ship. There are 3 main roles you can take to earn the points to win the battle: Bomber (destroy structures on the main enemy capital ship such as sensors, destroy support ships), Dogfighter (Take down enemy bombers, shuttles, or fighters), or Ship Boarder (take a shuttle and destroy enemy support systems from the inside, kill their pilots, destroy their docked fighters).
    Even though there is very little variation in the mission setups, I find there is still plenty to keep it interesting. Different arena sizes, fighting on different sides, different roles in combat, and a variety of fighters to fly make it my current favorite flying combat game. I tend to play Dogfighter, I like to zip around dodging capitol fire, taking out bombers, and occasionally enjoy a tense duel with an enemy fighter.

Hybridzerg on
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I remember TIE Fighter being a lot more fun. I never beat X-Wing or X-Wing vs. TIE fighter, but I played the shit out of TIE Fighter, I beat it like 3 times. The variety of ships and missiles you could use were awesome, and the storyline was much better.

Boutros on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tie Fighter + xpac
    X-wing + xpac
    Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing
    X-Wing Alliance

omg, loved all these so much

and yeah, TIE Fighter was way fucking cooler.

and the TIE Defender was way too OP.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited February 2008
    Hybridzerg wrote: »

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think I played the original X-Wing waay back in the day on a really old mac. I have vague memories of star destroyers and some weird level where you had to navigate a maze of huge crystals.

That was Rebel Alliance, a railed shooter (at the best of times).

EngelNUL on

"Historians exercise great power and some of them know it. They recreate the past, changing it to fit their own interpretations. Thus, they change the future as well." - Leto II
    edited February 2008
    I used to love the mission record feature as well. I used to spend ages in that thing getting views on large battles from different areas, seeing what was going on. Was a pain to navigate at times, but I guess that's understandable given that nobody had really done something quite like it at the time.

subedii on
    edited February 2008
    Somewhere around here I have an original in game video recording (another amazing feature, you can record your flight camera footage....I miss the old days) of an absolutely amazing series of events:

Its one of the missions later in the game (hunting Adm. Zarrin I think) where there is the ISD Garret, an INT, a Light Mon Cal cruiser Warhawk and I think I just got done taking care of a Modified Frigate.

Flying back to the ISD for recovery, I notice that the INT and the ISD are on the same course, nose to tail, and fairly close to each other, so I turnt he camera on to use for a scale comparison later (always cool to see how big the ISDs are...)

As I get closer I notice the INT is firing on the ISD (both are on the same side in this mission). The INT only has 2 or 3 guns facing forward, so its barely touching the ISD. The ISD is firing its forward missile every few seconds, but it doesn't have much to take on the INT with. Suddenly the ISD gets to a way point and turns around 180 degrees. Its now nose to nose with the INT.

The ISD unleashes with all its forward guns, and more or less rips the INT to shreds. They are almost hitting each other, but the INT's hull hits 0% and starts its death spin, missing hitting the ISD by a few meters.

I'm speechless, excited and pleased I got it on camera and am about to end the mission.....but

...The Mon Cal light Warhawk. I notice its heading at the Garret. More fun? YES!

I fire on the Garret (to get its guns to track me) and head to the Warhawk. They hit each other and the firefight starts. The Mon Cal ship wouldn't stand a chance normally, but the ISD is really low on shields, so I think its gonna be an interesting fight.

The Warhawk and Garret go at it and they are heading right at eachother, and the Warhawk's shields and hull fail while its on more or less a collision course for the Garret's bridge. The Warhawk starts its deathspin and the moment it hits the bridge, the ISD's hull finally hits 0% and it too does the big boom.

I sat there, confused for about 30 seconds, then promptly saved the flight record, exited the game and proceeded to make back ups.

It was 10-11 years ago at best, but I think some of the 3.5"ers with it are still around. I even sent one off to PCGamer hoping they'd put it on their CD or something.

Sometimes the best parts of that game were the ridiculous unscripted accidents...

EngelNUL on

• KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And also why seasoned pilots are so respected. If you've lived that long inside nothing but a tin can, you must be packing some serious skill. I'd hate to meet the imperial version of Wedge Antillies.

That would be his brother-in-law, Baron Soontir Fel. /Star Wars nerd

This thread and Gabe's newspost serves to remind me of two points.

1. I have TIE Fighter installed on my PC right now.

2. I can't play TIE Fighter because my cat somehow managed to snap the Collector's CD nearly in half while it was in the sleeve.
    EngelNUL wrote:
    That was Rebel Alliance, a railed shooter (at the best of times).

I think you meant Rebel Assault.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited February 2008
    Rebel Cat scum.

subedii on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

And to make it worse, in those stupidly poor written X-Wing books, those walking talking hard-on "charecters" tha the author created all sit there talking about how awsome they are for completing that mission without breaking a sweat.

Man, I tell you that mission pissed me off so bad. And then fictional charecters telling me how I sucked for not being able to do it first time? Made it worse. :)

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008

And to make it worse, in those stupidly poor written X-Wing books, those walking talking hard-on "charecters" tha the author created all sit there talking about how awsome they are for completing that mission without breaking a sweat.

Man, I tell you that mission pissed me off so bad. And then fictional charecters telling me how I sucked for not being able to do it first time? Made it worse. :)

Are you talking about the strat guide because I got the collector's edition and it came with a guide written like that.

Kagera on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Was the mission frigate called either the Redemption or the Requiem? Because they actually wrote about it being used as a training mission in a Rogue Squad book.

Bloods End on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

Was the mission frigate called either the Redemption or the Requiem? Because they actually wrote about it being used as a training mission in a Rogue Squad book.

I believe it was the Redemption you had to save.

Also, TIE Fighter's "The EMPEROR has been kidnapped! Save the muthaf*ckin EMPEROR!" got me all giddy inside.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I never played this game. How did it control? Was it as arcadey as the more modern Rogue Squadron games, or was it more sim-like?

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • CorranCorran VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

The frigate's name was the Redemption, Requiem was the slang name for the mission in the Rogue Squadron books.

Corran on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I never played this game. How did it control? Was it as arcadey as the more modern Rogue Squadron games, or was it more sim-like?

All the old LucasArts sim games, those being the X-Wings and TIE Fighter, were far more simy. They weren't hugely complex affairs like Falcon 4.0, but they were a far cry from arcade flight sims and even farther from the super arcadey Rogue Squadrons.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I never played this game. How did it control? Was it as arcadey as the more modern Rogue Squadron games, or was it more sim-like?[/QUOTE!]

Sim-like. Do you enjoy setting and resetting your lasers to engines power ratio while your making a bombing run on a mon cal cruiser, while a squad of x-wings are gunning for your sorry, no sheild tin can flying ass. The best star wars games ever made, and the fact that there isnt a new one with the prequels and the EU in it is a crime.

Spacehog85 on