As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

• Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Hm.

December 12th was the original release date on the EBGames website.

Well it's the 5th now, and it says my order's processing, so...? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Mine started to show "processing" yesterday morning and I was all crossin' my fingers and shit hoping that it was gonna come a day early. Apparently not - still shows "processing" again this morning. Come on, Wednesday!

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Interesting: 4ColorRebellion seems to think Portrait of Ruin was pushed back to next week. Though EB/Gamestop/IGN all still say tomorrow.
    They've updated:
    Looks like Castlevania is actually coming out this week after all, look for it in stores this week

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    dmauro wrote:
    Interesting: 4ColorRebellion seems to think Portrait of Ruin was pushed back to next week. Though EB/Gamestop/IGN all still say tomorrow.
    They've updated:
    Looks like Castlevania is actually coming out this week after all, look for it in stores this week

That's good, I was worried for a minute there.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2699 new trailer out.
    [spoiler:441088db02]OMG screen filling meteor attack![/spoiler:441088db02]
    So I just watched all those trailers at GT...
    I want it even more now! not just the spoiler'd attack, but all the other magic seems really cool too, like[spoiler:441088db02]the icicle spears and the rain of needles[/spoiler:441088db02]At least we can confirm that there will be more than one weapon for those that wanted to know.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So is this shipping today? I have it preordered at EBGames.com with that hefty gift set.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    So is this shipping today? I have it preordered at EBGames.com with that hefty gift set.

Yeppers. Although I still haven't received a shipping notice email yet, it's supposed to hit the road today.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    LCDXX wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Yeppers. Although I still haven't received a shipping notice email yet, it's supposed to hit the road today.

Sweet.

I think they are PST-based and just opened 20 minutes ago, so they probably haven't received them or started shipping yet.

The gift said says "usually ships in 24 hours" though.

Anyone remember what's in it?

Drez on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Yep, sure do.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    so excited to get this game tomorrow.

Gino on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Yep, sure do.

Ahh, cool. I wasn't sure what the hell all that stuff was, but the jpeg with it all opened up is good.

Drez on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    this isn't fair

I just bought a Wii now I have to buy this

and i can't pickup my pre-order bonus til tomorrow when i pick up the game

nintendo is in my wallet
    taking mie dollers

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    this isn't fair

nintendo is in my wallet
    taking mie dollers

And yet despite this, when you see the pre-order bonus in person you'll wish you pre-ordered two copies. :P

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kinda sucks I'm gonna miss out on the preorder bonus. Oh well, at least I'm getting it for basically free from Best Buy tomorrow (gift cards-a-go-go, baby) :^:

Ledneh on
  • Options
    LithiumHoneyLithiumHoney Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    So, uh.. I don't think I saw an answer to this yet.

Any interesting stylus action in this one? I for one thought the Seals in DoS were a great idea, even if it led to mild frustration and occasional pixelated death.

LithiumHoney on
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You can go through the entire game without having to use the stylus anywhere other than the name entry screen. However, if you want to, you can use the stylus to control your inactive character, tapping on the screen to send them to that location.

I've played through the entire game. It's very much a title for the Castlevania storyline scrub, complete with [spoiler:8a0bc4de4d]information on why the Belmonts vanish from the timeline after Symphony[/spoiler:8a0bc4de4d].

I'll tell you now, though, there's a Shield-Rod-esque broken combo in this, and once you get it, the game is damn near over. If something touches the ground at any time, you can now kill it.

Wanderer on
    Thomas Wilde
    For Some Reason, the Head of Public Relations
    DoubleJump Publishing
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wanderer wrote:
    You can go through the entire game without having to use the stylus anywhere other than the name entry screen. However, if you want to, you can use the stylus to control your inactive character, tapping on the screen to send them to that location.

I've played through the entire game. It's very much a title for the Castlevania storyline scrub, complete with [spoiler:83ea840c5d]information on why the Belmonts vanish from the timeline after Symphony[/spoiler:83ea840c5d].

I'll tell you now, though, there's a Shield-Rod-esque broken combo in this, and once you get it, the game is damn near over. If something touches the ground at any time, you can now kill it.

how did you get it already?

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    TelMarine wrote:
    Wanderer wrote:

I've played through the entire game. It's very much a title for the Castlevania storyline scrub, complete with [spoiler:c3ab376ba2]information on why the Belmonts vanish from the timeline after Symphony[/spoiler:c3ab376ba2].

Probably the Japanese version? I think it came out a few weeks back.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    DiscoalucardXDiscoalucardX Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Any interesting stylus action in this one? I for one thought the Seals in DoS were a great idea, even if it led to mild frustration and occasional pixelated death.

Yes.

[spoiler:38c3427181]
    Only in the "Sisters" mode though. They can both fly, so you control them with the d-pad, and attack with the stylus. With one, you point on the screen to attack with ice shards. With the other, you can scribble out enemies to do damage.
    [/spoiler:38c3427181]

I believe Wanderer here writes for Hardcore Gamer mag (and wrote the Dawn of Sorrow strategy guide too, so he deserves scads of applause).

DiscoalucardX on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    this isn't fair

nintendo is in my wallet
    taking mie dollers

And yet despite this, when you see the pre-order bonus in person you'll wish you pre-ordered two copies. :P
    I did. :D
    Well actually Three.. but I'm only keeping two. I pre-ordered 2 online and one in store just as backup in case anything happened.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ledneh wrote:
    Kinda sucks I'm gonna miss out on the preorder bonus. Oh well, at least I'm getting it for basically free from Best Buy tomorrow (gift cards-a-go-go, baby) :^:

arrrrggghh why did i keep putting off preordering until it was too late?!!!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ledneh wrote:

Man am I glad that people are lamenting not pre-ordering so much, it's going to make my DS auction the best thing ever come a few months. Oh man so much swag..

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ledneh wrote:

That's a very good question. I hope hard liquor was involved, heavily, in your procrastination.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    LCDXX wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:

That's a very good question. I hope hard liquor was involved, heavily, in your procrastination.

no, sadly. no liquor. it's just....it's just that the Gamestop is kinda far away, and im so tired from school, and I was gonna use my money for Elite Beat Agents, and there are all these little reasons.

what have I done?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    TelMarine wrote:

Like DiscoalucardX says...
    I believe Wanderer here writes for Hardcore Gamer mag (and wrote the Dawn of Sorrow strategy guide too, so he deserves scads of applause).

Why thank you.

Wanderer on
    Thomas Wilde
    DoubleJump Publishing
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Wanderer wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

Like DiscoalucardX says...

Why thank you.

Did DJ do a Portrait of Ruin guide?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    No, but I assure you, it was not for a lack of trying.

Lynxara and I might do some strategy articles on Portrait once she can get her hands on a copy, though. I'm currently working on a walkthrough for the Nest of Evil, the optional dungeon.

Wanderer on
    Thomas Wilde
    DoubleJump Publishing
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wanderer wrote:

I've played through the entire game. It's very much a title for the Castlevania storyline scrub, complete with [spoiler:ddda4ed4d1]information on why the Belmonts vanish from the timeline after Symphony[/spoiler:ddda4ed4d1].

game-breaking sheild rod thing? tell me more.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So is the game as good or very near the awesome of SOTN?

I'm getting my very first DS (for serious!) with EBA and this game, but I haven't watched over this game very much aside from a few screenshots and gameplay descriptions.

Sanius on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Anyone else order via EBstop.com? Has your order status updated yet? Mine hasn't. Just wondering.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    RenegadeDrizztRenegadeDrizzt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    LCDXX wrote:
    Anyone else order via EBstop.com? Has your order status updated yet? Mine hasn't. Just wondering.
    Still processing.

RenegadeDrizzt on
  • Options
    FlavabeanFlavabean Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Castlevania pretty much owns the sprite based side scrolling world in my life these days.

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This came out today, didn't it?

Goddammit, I just bought Yggdra Union and the Sega Genesis Collection...

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just got the Aeris call.

I also have a half day tomorrow.

8)

Lemming on
  • Options
    cursor101cursor101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Going to stop bey EB tomorrow to pick this up and get that pre-order bonus too. A little worried as they made no mention of it at all when I did reserve it.

cursor101 on
    MK:DS 451051-559978
    Guy1: There's nothing bitchin about the games soundtrack. It's practically all elevator music.

Guy2: That's just hilariously stupid. I can't imagine playing a fighting game with "Girl from Ipanema" playing in the background.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Got the Aeris call. I was thinking, "Man, Aeris calls me more than actual women call me."

But hey, Castlevania.

Renzo on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wait. It comes out... tomorrow?

What a surprise. I'll have to go pick it up. :o

GimeC on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Got the Aeris call. I was thinking, "Man, Aeris calls me more than actual women call me."

But hey, Castlevania.

got it too. And I also picked up the bonus, pretty sweet.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TheHanku6TheHanku6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Flavabean wrote:
    Castlevania pretty much owns the sprite based side scrolling world in my life these days.
    Until Nintendo gives us another Metroid game.
    [spoiler:bab3569e06] not going to happen is it [/spoiler:bab3569e06]

TheHanku6 on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    TheHanku6 wrote:
    Flavabean wrote:
    Until Nintendo gives us another Metroid game.
    [spoiler:030151deff] not going to happen is it [/spoiler:030151deff]
    As cool as the Prime games are, I really really want them to have more side scrollers in the Metroid series.

Hopefully once Corruption comes out they'll go back to side scrollers.

Pooch on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If they don't have the preorder bonuses in for my preorder, I'll probably cancel it and just get this after christmas or something. I mean, I want to play it pretty bad, but without the preorder I could get a Wii game for $10 more, which is slightly more interesting to me right now.

Mai-Kero on