As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scosdump (NSFW)

ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Artist's Corner
'Cause posting links in the doodle thread is bullshit.

Anyway, I've been a lazy bastard lately, so I've resolved to complete at least a minimum of a sketchbook page a day plus whatever else I can manage now that I have some time on my hands.

Make way for the graphite. Okay, a little wacom too.

bmillerstudy.jpg
sketchpage.jpg
animoo-1.jpg

Scosglen on

• MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really like the figure drawings. How long were the poses/were they ref'd?
    They look great, I especially like the second one the separation of the musculature in the torso is very crisp and clean.
    Very nice.

MufasaJoe on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Reffed from photographs unfortunately. About an hour each.

Scosglen on
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    These are all great...i especially like the third one down, the faces. They've just got a real clean, finished look, a point that few people try to reach with their pencils, especially now that everything's gone all digital. I've inked some terrible and messy pencils from a lot of people in my day, it's always great to see stuff like this.

Scumdogg on
  • MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It'd be nice to see the photos those were ref'd from, that is if you still have them.

Edit: Whoa, deja vu.

MufasaJoe on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    love the way you've been coming along scos, its really amazing.

I think you should try some new face types, if you know what I mean. There are many different kinds of eyes and noses, I'd like to see how you'd tackle them.

Iruka on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man you've improved shitloads compared to the first drawings I've seen from you.
    But, like Iruka, I too would like to see you try some different noses and faces now and then.
    I'm sure that if you can keep up the pace you set for yourself you'll go an even longer way than you have already :)

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I'm so freaking envious of your pencil skills you have no idea. How large are the life drawings?

bombardier on
    edited September 2007
    Bombs: All these pages are from a 9x12 strathmore

You guys are definitely right about my faces, I am pretty formulaic about them usually and this is something I mean to remedy along with general facial proportion wonkiness in time.

I've done some face studies and more body studies.

faces9-14.jpg
    anatomy9-15.jpg

Scosglen on
  • CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Your figures remind me of Wakkawa's style.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Some mostly imagined character faces today. Guess which one was reffed :P

faces9-16.jpg

Scosglen on
  • vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love the way you draw the body more than the faces. It look so natural.
    Maybe you can work on the face part. The shading looks nice.

One page of sketch per day? That really makes me jealous, Scosglen....

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
    edited September 2007
    Rise from your grave, thread!

I've been a total bastard and haven't drawn anything in a week since TF2 came out D: .Hopefully I'll be able to get back on schedule again starting today.

Haven't done any fine ladies in a while, so I made a few torso studies for today's page.

sep26femalestudy.jpg

Scosglen on
    edited October 2007
    I bet you guys thought I'd fallen off the horse eh?

This first one is important to me because it marks the first time I think since I started my quest to master drawing women that I've done a simple full body figure from imagination in order to gauge my progress. I still have definite trouble with a few areas but I feel like I've made a lot of progress since the monstrosities I was making before I began this endeavor. Note that only the figure on the left is from imagination :S
    figure.jpg

faces.jpg

characters.jpg

body.jpg

valuestudy.jpg

And the current state of a WIP digi paint, since I haven't done much painting in a while.

marauder3.jpg

Scosglen on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Some mostly imagined character faces today. Guess which one was reffed :P

faces9-16.jpg

the top left looks like Uwe Boll, lol

Man scos, all of this stuff is fucking fantastic. You've inspired me to kick it up a notch in my daily drawings.

XAL on
    edited November 2007
    So I've been crunching along on portfolio material finally. I'm biting the bullet and doing the long life-observation type pieces first before I bust into figure studies/gesture or any kind of imaginative work.

My first two 'completed' things: Frog done in pencil and the SP is worked from a mirror using vine charcoal.

froglord3.jpg
    charcoalsp.jpg

And here's the next piece I'm almost finished with, a simple hand study:

handstudy.jpg

And I recently did a little speedpaint to break up the life-drawing grind:

spoct29.jpg

Scosglen on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ehhehehe, I just had to find an art thread by you after you critiqued me so well. You seemed like someone taking college level classes. Looks like some pretty cool stuff. In general your faces seem to be the biggest issue, in particular the eyes, which alway seems a little close together.

I like the graphite shading a lot. I'm willing to bet those are quick, 30 minute-45 minute studies, right? For those life drawings at the top. I really like the face in your most recent post. The one ear is a little higher than the other, though, and the right eye is a little bigger and looks slightly moved to the left of where it should be. Though if that's a really quick sketch, good job.

I also like your Wacom stuff. You've got some cool concept design feel going on with them even though they're sloppy. I would love to see some cleaned up, refined work from you.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Your faces all have noses that are cuter than buttons! Can't criticise any of this, it's out of my league.

desperaterobots on
    edited February 2008
    Well it's been a while since I posted in here. I guess I may as well utilize my thread again since its bones have suddenly sprung to life with action.

Robots: Thanks! I think! Honestly I think my noses are pretty formulaic, I should do some studies.

Radar: I appreciate the critiques, I'm always working on my faces and constantly reworking and updating how I tackle them. Symmetry is often a challenge for me, which often manifests in the eyes. Something I'll improve on as I practice no doubt. I'm not in school actually, although I want to be maybe in the fall or next year. I don't "finish" my work much--I often feel I have so much to study that sitting down and spending a dozen hours on one piece is a waste of time, but I have been trying to produce more polished work lately.

Speaking of finishing work! I just finished this goddamn painting for my portfolio. This is probably the longest I have ever worked on one painting, It feels soooo good to have it done. I will gladly listen to comments and critique but there is a fat chance I'll actually make any modifications, unless they are gob-smackingly bad. I'll throw in some recent studies and a glorified speedpainting to accompany it.

maidenf.jpg

devspeed.jpg

sketch2.jpg

sketch1.jpg

handiagram.jpg

Scosglen on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Looks like I came back to the boards just in time!

The values in the first are friggn great. Specifically the forearms and the hands of the gentleman. The girls hand looks weird though. I think it's that with the palm being in perspective away from the camera, the fingers don't look like they are actually connected at the knuckles. Im not quite sure what. Also, the silhouette looks like he has no fee. Thats a quick fix, though. Of course, this is all nit picky. :P

Love the texture on the speed paint. I think one of the best parts of the pic is the top fang that is closer to the camera. Everything inside of there is working out beautifully.

And nice studies! Im about to up my studies regiment too. Its clearly paying off for you!

Sublimus on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scos!

You're amazing!

BUT!

On the first, i don't think that the values are pushed far enough. Everything is farily grey. One thing in particular that could be pushed darker is the silhouette, he should be almost black.

That hallway/corridor/alleyway just seems almost too pristine. A few textures, some trash, or some graffiti might break up the space.

I love love love the hands. How long did you take to finish it?

Everything else looks really good...but i guess i should expect that from you :P

DeeLock on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Keep it up Scos. This stuff is impressive and so is the improvement in the last post! I love the first one, althouth the silhouettes raised arm looks a bit off..

Lly on
  • The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Really amazing stuff. I like the way you're handling line and value to really bring clarity to your studies - very tight work. The only thing I can see that's slightly jarring is your feet, which are consistently smaller than proportion. It's not that big a deal, especially since very few of your drawings or paintings have feet in them, but especially in the black and white painting in the hallway, it sort of jumped out at me.

Anyway the colors on your monster cave are really sublime. Keep it up!

The Cow on
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for all the comments guys. I would love to have added some extra detail to the admittedly lame hallway, but I just needed to move on and start a new project. Maybe in the future I will revisit it and make some tweaks, although since it took like 2 minutes I have gone back in and made the feet a little larger.

Here's a sketch from today. I'm still trying to perfect my chalk and pencil technique, but I'm learning a lot from each try. "less is more" seems to be the adage of the day, especially given that scanners pick up the bright white chalk extremely well and make it look extra vivid.

lawficer.jpg

Scosglen on