As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bonnaroo '08: Lineup Announced! Zeppelin to Play!

astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy...Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Lez Zeppelin that is...

(see it is funny because LED Zeppelin was the rumored headliner)

www.bonnaroo.com

Bonnaroo is a yearly music + arts festival held in Manchester, Tennessee. This year it is June 12th-15th, and features...

!!! - Against Me! - The Allman Brothers Band - Nicole Atkins - The Avett Brothers - Back Door Slam - Battles - The Bluegrass Allstars featuring Luke Bulla, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer - Broken Social Scene - Solomon Burke - Cat Power - Chromeo - The Coup - Dark Star Orchestra - Death Cab For Cutie - The Disco Biscuits - Drive-By Truckers - Jakob Dylan - Newton Faulkner - The Felice Brothers - The Fiery Furnaces - Ben Folds - Donavon Frankenreiter - Pat Green - Levon Helm & The Ramble on the Road - Ghostland Observatory - Gogol Bordello - Jose Gonzalez - Grupo Fantasma - Iron & Wine - Israel Vibration - Mason Jennings - Jack Johnson - Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - B.B. King - Talib Kweli - Ladytron - The Lee Boys - Phil Lesh & Friends - Lez Zeppelin - Little Feat - Lupe Fiasco - MGMT - Aimee Mann - Stephen Marley - Mastodon - Metallica - M.I.A. - Minus The Bear - Money Mark - MSTRKRFT - My Morning Jacket - Willie Nelson - O.A.R. - Orchestra Baobab - Ozomatli - Pearl Jam - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - The Raconteurs - Robert Randolph’s Revival - Rilo Kiley - Rogue Wave - Serena Ryder - Sigur Ros - State Radio - Steel Train - Swell Season - The Sword - Tegan & Sara - Tiesto - Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi’s Soul Stew Revival - Two Gallants - Umphrey’s McGee - Vampire Weekend - Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet featuring Bela Fleck - Kanye West (Glow-in-the-Dark Tour) - Wood Brothers - Yonder Mountain String Band - Zappa Plays Zappa

COMEDY

Mike Birbiglia - Michelle Buteau - David Cross - Zach Galifianakis - Janeane Garofolo - John Mulaney - Jim Norton - Brian Posehn - Chris Rock

So...what does everyone think? I'm sold. I'm guessing PJ and Metallica headline with either Kanye, Jack, or Phil on Sunday. It's not really Kanye's crowd, but I have a hard seeing him sign without headlining.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
astrobstrd on

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the useless OP, insanely long post (did you really need the space between each performer) and stupid title.

Satan. on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's a pretty good line-up. I guess I'd have to wait and see if Led Zeppelin is doing a more extensive tour; I don't have enough vacation time to head Tennessee unless I'm catching red-eyes.

thanimations on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    So, Satan. is an idiot, but you could stand to give the rest of us some more information and maybe tidy that up a bit. Where is this festival at, is there a website, who do I have to kill to get tickets?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Of the above, I'd be interested in seeing:
    -Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
    -B. B. King
    -Lez Zeppelin
    -Metallica
    -My Morning Jacket
    -Ozomatli
    -Pearl Jam
    -Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
    -The Raconteurs
    -Rilo Kiley
    -Sigur Ros
    -Two Gallants
    -Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet featuring Bela Fleck
    -and a few of the comedians

That said, it is in Tennessee and I am not. So a happy day to the folks with enough income to truck out there and see who they want to.

Edit: Although I am looking forward to which artists will be allowing their recordings on livebonnaroo.com.

Gim on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    You all realize it's not Led Zeppelin, right?

Satan. on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fuck, thought that said Led Zeppelin. Well, still pretty good line-up, though now it's looking less like it's enough for me to go to Tennessee.

thanimations on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    You all realize it's not Led Zeppelin, right?

Yes, but I've never seen a good cover act before. And I'm curious to see if they could get Robert Plant to perform with them for a song or two.

Gov't Mule was able to get John Paul Jones to play a couple of songs with them last year. That was cool. I think that was Bonnaroo, anyhow.

Gim on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2008
    This is like the best thing Tennessee has, and my friends are going this year. So I'm going. Wheee!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok, got that tidied up after the copy and paste. I went last year and had a ridiculous amount of fun, and easily plan on returning this year (tax return well spent). The acts I'm really looking forward to are...

Against Me!
    Battles
    Black Kids
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Broken Social Scene
    Drive-by Truckers
    The Fiery Furnaces
    Gogol Bordello
    Iron & Wine
    B.B. King
    Talib Kweli
    Aimee Mann
    Mastodon
    Metallica
    My Morning Jacket
    Willie Nelson
    Pearl Jam
    Rilo Kiley
    Sigur Ros
    The Sword
    Tegan & Sara
    Vampire Weekend
    Kanye West

...so I obviously am going to be making some tough decisions as to which stages I will be at. I just really hope they give Sigur Ros a late show.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, one could have 1/4th of the original Zeppelin band there with Robert Plant performing there already.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I kind of feel bad for them. Against Me! after this last album has hit a serious decline in their performances. The last show I saw them at was seriously a step down from their past performances.

Minus the Bear though, that's pretty awesome. David Cross too. I still have not seen Willie Nelson. This may be worth it. I tend to either go to Bonnaroo or Coachella every year.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Battles
    The Bluegrass Allstars featuring Luke Bulla, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer
    Jose Gonzalez
    Iron & Wine
    B.B. King
    Mastodon
    Metallica
    Pearl Jam
    Sigur Ros
    State Radio
    The Sword
    Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi’s Soul Stew Revival
    Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet featuring Bela Fleck
    Yonder Mountain String Band

All those I'd jump at to see there.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seeing how much Coachella is going to suck this year, I might save up for a summer trip to Tennessee.

I missed out on Radiohead last time. :|

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, Radiohead is such a pain in the ass to get to go see these days. They sell out so quick, and apparently Thom Yorke has a fear of flying. It's just really irritating that they can get away with only playing like 8 shows in the US with San Francisco, LA, Seattle, Houston, New York, Washington DC, Chicago, and Boston always getting played at, leaving me a thousand miles from the nearest one...

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I went last year, and this festival is amazing. You'll never run out of things to do.

This lineup seems OK, but I've only heard of 1/5th of the performers. Go-go Youtube, I guess.

TL DR on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    God, I wish that I could go to this. The closest thing we have to this is Oxygen, which sells out quickly and generally only has one or two big names playing...

Tav on
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Honestly, the line up doesn't strike me as anything spectacular. They're really sort of reaching though with Kanye, Jack Johnson, Pearl Jam, and Metallica as headliners. Funnily enough wide spread panic isnt up there. Though they do have the remants of the band, the grateful dead, the allman brother band and willie nelson, so that should promise to draw the hippies. It's a great festival but its like a thousand degrees the entire day, to the point where its unpleasent to live, the water tastes like eggs because of sulfur deposits in the ground, and everything is hella expensive. though at night its fucking amazing.

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well the water does taste like ass and if you want to buy a gallon it's going to run you $7, but if you come ready you'll have a good time.

Now as for finding a festival that's more hippies, less commercial... Someone let me know.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My biggest advice for anyone going would be:

- Pace yourself. There is a ton to do and see, inside Centeroo and out. Don't beat yourself up over overlapping shows or missing anyone in particular.

- Bring plenty of food, water, and beer. They let you bring it, take advantage. It really isn't THAT expensive otherwise though.

- Bring gear for rain. Also bring a good flashlight, plenty of sunscreen, sunglasses, a handkerchief (for dust), and at least one warm set of clothes (nighttime temperatures can drop fairly low).

tickets on sale Feb. 16th

$220-250 each

or

$1200 for a pair of crazy rich person VIP tickets. (You get a separate campsite, showers, food, bleachers for the first and second stage, and "other amenities")

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Ladytron
    Mastodon
    Sigur Ros
    The Sword

COMEDY

Mike Birbiglia
    Zach Galifianakis
    Jim Norton

So it's a good comedy show in Tennessee with a nice soundtrack. Hm.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd like to go either this or pitchfork's festival in Chicago. Since my roommate may have a job in Chicago this summer, it's more than likely going to be that. Hopefully the line up is good...

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I live in Alabama, so it would be stupid for me to not go to this.

MUSIC

The Bluegrass Allstars featuring Luke Bulla, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer - Ben Folds - Iron & Wine - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Robert Randolph’s Revival - Sigur Ros - Umphrey’s McGee - Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet featuring Bela Fleck

COMEDY

Mike Birbiglia - Zach Galifianakis

75% chance of me going, if I can just get everything worked out.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Somehow, when copy + pasting, I missed !!!, which is act I would really like to see as well.

The rumor heavily circulating now is that we WILL see Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin!) and that they are holding off on this announcement until the first few tiers of tickets sell off. I only give this slight credence because there really is no 3rd night headliner lined up yet. This also would let them get tickets into the hands of people who want to go for the festival rather than aging boomers who would only show up for one night and scalpers. Is it really sad that I am already super pumped and this is 4 months away?...yeah it probably is.

Tickets go on sale Sat. Feb. 16th.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ahhhh, my friend went last year... I wanna go!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    TheApatheticOneTheApatheticOne Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going this year as well.

Bands i definitely plan on hitting up include:

Ben Folds, Jack Johnson, Pearl Jam, O.A.R., The Swell Season, Bluegrass Allstars, Black Kids, BB King, Willie Nelson, Death Cab for Cutie, Donavon Frankenreiter, Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet featuring Bela Fleck, Jakob Dylan, Broken Social Scene, Robert Randolph’s Revival, and Metallica.

TheApatheticOne on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm torn.

It was such a good time last year, and I'd love to do it again.

But... Metallica. D:

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A couple of additions have been announced and one band has been mysteriously vanished off the page.

IN - Cat Power, Chris Rock, Chromeo, Zappa Plays Zappa, The Disco Biscuits, MSTRKRFT

OUT - Black Kids

OP updated.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Cat Power is pretty good.

Anyone know about 10,000 Lakes?

TL DR on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    A couple of additions have been announced and one band has been mysteriously vanished off the page.

IN - Cat Power, Chris Rock, Chromeo, Zappa Plays Zappa, The Disco Biscuits, MSTRKRFT

OUT - Black Kids

OP updated.

Chromeo is awesome, is Zappa Plays Zappa really Dweezil Plays Frank or is it just a name?

yakul on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    yakul wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »

OUT - Black Kids

OP updated.

Chromeo is awesome, is Zappa Plays Zappa really Dweezil Plays Frank or is it just a name?

It's Dweezil plays Frank.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Newest announcements -

Tiësto (late night set)
    Stephen Marley
    Money Mark
    The Coup
    Wood Brothers
    Rogue Wave