As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conservative Political Action Committee

NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Social Entropy++
Currently, here in D.C., CPAC is having their annual meeting.

So far, lots of talk about how God is awesome and liberals want the terrorists to win and, oh yeah, Romney has dropped out of the election.

This topic is just to talk about CPAC.

You can view a live feed on the CNN video site:
http://www.cnn.com/video/?iref=videoglobal

by clicking on LIVE VIDEO and selecting it from the right hand menu.

NotASenator on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    The current speaker just referred to the English language as "the language of opportunity".

NotASenator on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    The current speaker just referred to the English language as "the language of opportunity".

What the hell does that even mean?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I watched that for a bit to hear Romney.

The rest of it is just... ugh.

Not that Romney had a lot of brilliant things to say, mind you.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Know thy enemy or something, I guess.

The Geek wrote: »

He continued by suggesting that dirty immigrants come here and say that they are here for freedom, and if they want freedom, they should speak English because that's what binds us together in Godly Freedom.

I think.

It was hard to follow.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    rushkiss1-728846.jpg
    PH2006062301808.jpg

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Geek wrote: »

It means that English is the primary trade language in the world and also the primary language spoken in the United States and so knowing English is a useful thing if you live in the US

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ollie North.

Yes

NotASenator on
  • Options
    QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hate to agree with conservatives but if you come to America and expect to be financially secure, you should probably speak English. I mean it would REALLY help. If you go to Japan and you expect to get a decent job, you should probably speak Japanese. If you go to France and expect to get a decent job, you should probably speak French and so on and so forth.

Quadrophenia on
    I'm so tired of partying.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys I am going to go to Spain and I don't speak Spanish or anything and I'm going to sneak in also but they totally shouldn't deport me or anything because who the hell do they think they are?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys I am going to go to Spain and I don't speak Spanish or anything and I'm going to sneak in also but they totally shouldn't deport me or anything because who the hell do they think they are?

you're dumber than a sack of hammers.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008

you're dumber than a sack of hammers.

Aw George, not the livestock.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I guess you'll just ignore the major companies who hire illegal immigrants and pay them less than minimum wage because hey it's their fault for trying to make a better life for themselves

land of opportunity my ass

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    why would I ignore that?

companies that hire illegal immigrants need to be investigated and fined

that ain't kosher

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    or the immigration process should be easier

or maybe we should help mexico the fuck out

or anything like that there

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dammit, I thought my baby thread was going to die.

Yes, they should deport you if they catch you coming in.

Do you think if Spain was 10x larger than it is that they would have the funds, resources and ability to find and deport 12 million of you, and if the alternative is to devise ways to get money out of at least some you in regards to back taxes and fines, don't you think that's a better solution?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's gonna take a lot to turn Mexico into not-a-shithole.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd rather they get legalized and paid properly, and that we stop toying around with joke solutions like the almighty fence. Hell, I got a 28/100 on my citizenship test the first time- it's stupid for me to expect foreigners to know ~3 times more about my country than I do, just to be a citizen.

And I'm still more concerned with illegal immigrants not getting jobs, and companies that outsource like tomorrow's the rapture and we're all invited.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

these are also good ideas

although I don't know what would need to be done to help Mexico

it's pretty screwed up

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    freedom isn't free

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    there is no point in trying to change immigration policies when people can still come and go as they please

the idea is to make legal immigration easier, get them documented and paying taxes, and then make available all the state services they should have available to them.

right now the healthcare system in southern california is in a deep, mired shithole because of illegal immigrants unable to pay for care, and not paying taxes are sucking the money right out of the public hospitals

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I hope you live in the southwest.

I hope you realize how hard it is to even function in some areas of Los Angeles or Long Beach because everything except the road signs is done in spanish.

You know how hard it is for a kid getting out of high school to get work around here? You want to work construction over the summer to pay for college? Too bad. No work for you.

Immigration? Fine. Illegal immigration? Fuck that. There are plenty of people who go through the fucking proccess and I welcome all of them, but the people just skirting the system ... fuck them. They pay no taxes and they collect benefits.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, yeah, we should probably base our national immigration plan on some areas of Los Angeles or Long Beach

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, yeah, we should probably base our national immigration plan on some areas of Los Angeles or Long Beach

Can any of you guys argue a point without resorting to semantics or sarcasm?

California, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico are some of the area most affected by illegal immgration. Los Angeles is like the fucking capital of illegal immigration. I think we should just cede east Los Angeles to Mexico.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love how emails like this one imply that disagreeing with the viewpoint presented is a result of your own ignorance and closed mind. "You must be actively refusing to open your eyes to the obvious truth of this perspective if you don't agree after reading this statement."
    Interesting, and this is only one State...............

If this doesn't open your eyes nothing will!

From the L. A. Times

1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County ( L. A. County has 10.2 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.
    2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
    3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.
    4. Over 2/ 3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal , whose births were paid for by taxpayers. These babies are now (automatically) United States citizens.
    5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.
    6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.
    7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.
    8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
    9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.
    10.. In L. A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish.

(There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County. )

(All 10 of the above are from the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare.

Over 70% of the United States' annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida , and New York) results from immigration.

29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

We are a bunch of fools for letting this continue.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

Send copies of this letter to at least two other people . 100 would be even better.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Can any of you guys argue a point without resorting to ... sarcasm?

California, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico are some of the area most affected by illegal immgration. Los Angeles is like the fucking capital of illegal immigration. I think we should just cede east Los Angeles to Mexico.

Defender on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm probably going to vote for McCain?

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Defender wrote: »

OH NOES YOU GOT ME!

Oh wait... I didnt use sarcasm to respond to him. Did you ignore everything I said before that?

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    immigration will become McCain's great white whale. I dont know if he can make the changes that need to be made.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Defender wrote: »

OH NOES YOU GOT ME!

Oh wait... I didnt use sarcasm to respond to him. Did you ignore everything I said before that?

So...no sarcasm...that means...you sincerely believe that we should cede east LA to Mexico?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Nobody can. Its an impossible situation made worse by the fact that once they have a child (and they inevitably will) its an American citizen. Thats where the whole "breaking up families" bullshit comes from. How can two non citizens make a citizen? Its like dividing by zero.

EDIT: This is in response to Zerofill.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Helping Mexico out without violating the country's sovereignty is pretty tough.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

I hope you realize how hard it is to even function in some areas of Los Angeles or Long Beach because everything except the road signs is done in spanish.

You know how hard it is for a kid getting out of high school to get work around here? You want to work construction over the summer to pay for college? Too bad. No work for you.

Immigration? Fine. Illegal immigration? Fuck that. There are plenty of people who go through the fucking proccess and I welcome all of them, but the people just skirting the system ... fuck them. They pay no taxes and they collect benefits.

Every time I hear someone say the immigrants just need to "stand in line" and "go through the process" I want to defenestrate them.

There is no line to get into. The sheer magnitude of the advantages of living in the US is so great that our half assed immigration policies can't possibly deal with the flood of people. I have friends who immigrated from Europe, and it took them over a decade to get citizenship. When you're unemployed in fucking Mexico, you can't wait that long.

Also, the idea behind making illegal immigrants legal is that they will then pay taxes.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fire Truck wrote: »

Every time I hear someone say the immigrants just need to "stand in line" and "go through the process" I want to defenestrate them.

There is no line to get into. The sheer magnitude of the advantages of living in the US is so great that our half assed immigration policies can't possibly deal with the flood of people. I have friends who immigrated from Europe, and it took them over a decade to get citizenship. When you're unemployed in fucking Mexico, you can't wait that long.

Also, the idea behind making illegal immigrants legal is that they will then pay taxes.

So if you want to get on the most awesome roller coaster ever but the line is really long, its okay to cut in front of everyone just because the line is long?

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

So if you want to get on the most awesome roller coaster ever but the line is really long, its okay to cut in front of everyone just because the line is long?

I think I missed the part where the small legal quotas for Mexican immigration and the massive bureaucracy was actually a result of illegal immigration and not racism and governmental stupidity.

Silly me :oops:

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I think I missed the part where the small legal quotas for Mexican immigration and the massive bureaucracy was actually a result of illegal immigration and not racism and governmental stupidity.

Ahh the race card appears in its usual slimy form.

C'mon man... think hard on this. Do you know why illegal immigrants often try to fit like 12 people in a small house? The infustructure cannot support such a large crowd of immigrants at once, which is why we have those controls. When they skirt them it defeats the purpose of immigration control in the first place, and makes it harder for immigrants trying to enter the country legally.

You know what would happen if I snuck into Mexico or Canada? They would arrest and deport me. If we do it here, its racism. Amazing.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Ahh the race card appears in its usual slimy form.

C'mon man... think hard on this. Do you know why illegal immigrants often try to fit like 12 people in a small house? The infustructure cannot support such a large crowd of immigrants at once, which is why we have those controls. When they skirt them it defeats the purpose of immigration control in the first place, and makes it harder for immigrants trying to enter the country legally.

You know what would happen if I snuck into Mexico or Canada? They would arrest and deport me. If we do it here, its racism. Amazing.

Or, possibly, just bear with me here, they live twelve to a house because they are poor? The infrastructure grows as more people move in, as illegal immigrants need fast food joint workers and grocery stores to cater to them as well. Amount of housing available might be an issue, but they obviously don't mind it enough to stop coming here.

I also don't think the deportation of illegal immigrants is what is racist, it's just not a solution that will, well, solve anything. I do think racism is part of what makes it difficult to immigrate legally, even if it's not direct and obvious.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The biggest problem with unchecked illegal immigration is that a title wave of people leaving Mexico doesn't help Mexico improve itself.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    The biggest problem with unchecked illegal immigration is that a title wave of people leaving Mexico doesn't help Mexico improve itself.

This.

I only support the road to citizenship option as much as I do because the above takes time.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Butters wrote: »

This.

I only support the road to citizenship option as much as I do because the above takes time.

Sure it does but without taking a stance against illegal immigration that time will take forever. Right now almost anyone that wants to can get in here. That has to stop or there's no motive for Mexico's citizens to work towards solving their own problems. The grass will always look greener on the other pasture if the door is left wide open.

My problem with all this is I don't know how to help Mexico without violating the country's sovereignty by toppling their incredibly corrupt government. I suppose we could threaten to cut off their foreign aid but our country is run by pussies and that will never happen.

Butters on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yeah, Canada should help Mexico out.

also Tidal

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png