As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Turok: Dinosaurs, and How to Stab Them

2»

• Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So they replaced fun with space marines?

Nice.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jebral wrote: »
    So they replaced fun with space marines?

Nice.

Except they didn't

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    I dont think this has been answered yet.

Are there awesome fucking weapons that do more than just shoot a variety of lead bullets? Do some turn people to stone? Do they disintegrate everything? I mean, stabbing sure, but I want some devastation.

Nah, the devs were saying they wanted to get away from the over-the-top craziness of the Turok series.

*facepalm*

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Turok was always a series I loved to hate. I bought both 1 and 2 for the N64 and couldn't stand their gameplay - the first was foggy and required awkward jumping way too much, while the second had far better graphics (Ram Expansion FTW!) but the objectives blew since they seemed less focused than the ones in Goldeneye they were trying to emulate. Still, I played that first city level over and over from the beginning because the act of shooting dinosaurs and dinosaur-human love-children was pretty fun, especially with the all guns cheat on (the guns were awesome, even by today's standards).

It seems that this is still the best dinosaur murder simulator to date:
    screenshot_178722.jpg

And yes, I played and loved that game, so honestly, what the fuck do I know?!

When I was eight, Trespasser was my favorite game in the world.

On topic, I'm really interested in the co-op/ multiplayer in this game. I could care less about the single player, as the demo was a complete departure from what I loved about the original Turok.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mattie wrote: »
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    I dont think this has been answered yet.

Are there awesome fucking weapons that do more than just shoot a variety of lead bullets? Do some turn people to stone? Do they disintegrate everything? I mean, stabbing sure, but I want some devastation.

Nah, the devs were saying they wanted to get away from the over-the-top craziness of the Turok series.

*facepalm*

Well what's the point? If I want to fight soldiers I play COD4 and if I want to fight aliens I play Halo. Take out the cowboys riding raptors while shooting cerebral bores and I can't think of a reason to play Turok over the previously mentioned titles.

Seriously it's like making a movie about DC super-villians ruling the world and cutting out the super-villians.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The multiplayer is kind of fun. The games are fast paced and hectic. The dinos on the maps add some fun, because if an enemy is getting attacked by a dino you can stand there and shot them while they are getting attacked. I find it fun when it turns in to a giant knife fight.

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay, some quick impressions of multiplayer.

FFA seems pretty shity... Its basically a game of who can stab who first. So you'll see 3 guys running circles around each other trying to land a stab.

Team was alright, the fact that you playing with lives vs a score is interesting. To elaborate, your team has 25 lives. If someone dies, they take away from that pool of lives. However, each person has an individual life count as well, so you'll never see one person lose all 25 lives. I think 10 is the most deaths you'll get before being a permanent spectator.

Co-op, this shit is hard. I'm not sure if its predetermined or what, but me and my friend only had 4 lives between us most of the time. However, it seemed like if we ever cleared a room or area of enemies, we were awarded with one extra respawn.

The co-op has nothing to do with the single player really, they're just 3 preconstructed levels intended specifically for co-op.

In regards to Sci-fi weapons, other than the sticky grenade gun, the most sci-fi thing I found was a plasma rifle, which basically comes off like a minigun that'll overheat if you hold it down too long.

I do think its pretty cool that if a grenade or RPG round goes off close enough to you, you basically become deaf for a few seconds.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    Okay, some quick impressions of multiplayer.

FFA seems pretty shity... Its basically a game of who can stab who first. So you'll see 3 guys running circles around each other trying to land a stab.

Team was alright, the fact that you playing with lives vs a score is interesting. To elaborate, your team has 25 lives. If someone dies, they take away from that pool of lives. However, each person has an individual life count as well, so you'll never see one person lose all 25 lives. I think 10 is the most deaths you'll get before being a permanent spectator.

Co-op, this shit is hard. I'm not sure if its predetermined or what, but me and my friend only had 4 lives between us most of the time. However, it seemed like if we ever cleared a room or area of enemies, we were awarded with one extra respawn.

The co-op has nothing to do with the single player really, they're just 3 preconstructed levels intended specifically for co-op.

In regards to Sci-fi weapons, other than the sticky grenade gun, the most sci-fi thing I found was a plasma rifle, which basically comes off like a minigun that'll overheat if you hold it down too long.

I do think its pretty cool that if a grenade or RPG round goes off close enough to you, you basically become deaf for a few seconds.

Wow.
    They REALLY phoned in co-op.

Like, extra hard.
    You have to put forth a LOT of effort to phone it in this hard.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The co-op is like a side story, they are built around the story line, and story wise link into each other (you will notice in one co-op you have to steal the helicopter to rescue the infiltration team that you play in another one of the co-ops)

and the co-op missions are IMO the best part of the game, very tactical, and if you can deal with a tough game very fun.

and when you hit a checkpoint your team life pool goes back to max(4), so if you have no lives left and on player remaining, if he makes the checkpoint you go back to full and spawn your team back in.

as far as FFA knife fights, just look for those three wankers man dancing and grenade em ;)

Wyked on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    007 the Space Secret Agent, Lara Croft the Space Tomb Raider, Prince of Space Persia etc.

I would buy the hell out of all three of those.
    Especially Prince of Space Persia. My brain is salivating over the concept art I'm only imagining at this very moment.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Sheep Have WoolSheep Have Wool Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would buy the hell out of all three of those.
    Especially Prince of Space Persia. My brain is salivating over the concept art I'm only imagining at this very moment.

I agree completely. Lara Croft sans gravity?

Sheep Have Wool on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just finished the single player today.

The ending was alright.
    Atleast it wasn't a shitty: "Don't kill that guy we need room for a sequal" situation.

Honestly though, the only thing this game has really done, is spike the hell out of my nostalgia to play turok 2.

Kor on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    When I think back on the first Turok, the first image that comes to mind is of this one time I was walking past a little building and a guy on top started shooting at me. I shot him in the knee a few times and then he clutched his neck with one hand as blood started spraying out of it till he stumbled off the roof and died.

Remington on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Remington wrote: »
    When I think back on the first Turok, the first image that comes to mind is of this one time I was walking past a little building and a guy on top started shooting at me. I shot him in the knee a few times and then he clutched his neck with one hand as blood started spraying out of it till he stumbled off the roof and died.

I never liked the first Turok, so all my fond memories are of the second one.

Watching something fall over backwards with an arrow between the eyes. Seeing something know its going to die, charge you in hopes of taking you out with it.

Taking the talon and removing every limb possible, even after death.

Man, I remember how big of a deal it was when you got a new weapon. It was like, uh oh, shits gonna die now.

And honestly, I kinda miss health in FPSs... it makes things so much more strategical.

I can't tell you how many times I just blew thru this Turok far enough to get to the next check point.

Oh, I just remembered.

Biggest downfall for this game: Infinite spawns.

Oh don't stand in that corner! Baby T-rexs are going to be coming out of that wall unless you leave.

Kor on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    Man I played the demo and it seemed like an incredibly average shooter. It sucks so much since I loved Turok 1 & 2.

Damn I hope those come out on VC. Turok 2 was like my favorite game for a long, long time.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Turok was always a series I loved to hate. I bought both 1 and 2 for the N64 and couldn't stand their gameplay - the first was foggy and required awkward jumping way too much, while the second had far better graphics (Ram Expansion FTW!) but the objectives blew since they seemed less focused than the ones in Goldeneye they were trying to emulate. Still, I played that first city level over and over from the beginning because the act of shooting dinosaurs and dinosaur-human love-children was pretty fun, especially with the all guns cheat on (the guns were awesome, even by today's standards).

It seems that this is still the best dinosaur murder simulator to date:
    screenshot_178722.jpg

And yes, I played and loved that game, so honestly, what the fuck do I know?!

Is that really how Trespasser looked? I remember playing that game and feeling I was finally in the future.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, that was such a horrible game. I actually played through it a couple weeks ago (CD stills works, amazingly) and it's just so BAD. Have fun making that bitch jump when you want her to.

Remington on
  • Options
    Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If anyone wants to play, I'm totally up for it.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.