As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anonymous stages worldwide protest against Scientology

AzioAzio Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
You are all probably aware of the feud between Scientology and the channers. Today, Anonymous is holding protests against the Church of Scientology in cities across the world. Hundreds of people have already turned out in Australia.

http://img.waffleimages.com/ae6dc3352d281e5ceaa5ab52a4faeb86c14062f1/sc06.jpg
http://img.waffleimages.com/cd4a8f5d455dd1e007146dac7bad6d9d7d4fb04d/Brisbane%20Co$%20Protest%204.jpg
http://img.waffleimages.com/921cab771a0a0d6d4f70e4c59fb936f0baff1c59/200802101356_MG_4937.jpg
http://img.waffleimages.com/83abdf21a1634fd8bc630dcdcf42d9d2844dc571/small2.jpg

The protests are currently the top story on News.com.au.

Video of the story from Channel 7 news.
Video of the Melbourne and Sydney protests.
Live video feed from London.

2 months ago, if someone had told me Anonymous was going to actually do some real good I would have laughed in their face. This all looks incredibly promising and fills me with joy. I hope every city sees this kind of turnout.

I think this could be history in the making. Epic win.

Azio on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    None of the images you've linked to are showing up. Just an FYI.

Should be interesting to watch, but I doubt it'll have any effect. Scientology is too well supported and too well defended (legally) for a bunch of internet trolls to have much of an effect on, no matter how skilled they are at trolling.

see317 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ultimate proof that 4chan is just a bunch of teenagers without a clue. I suppose this is the first time they found something to kick against that we can agree on is stupid. Unfortunately, 150 angry internet nerds in silly costumes are not going to get anything done.

It's nice that they're focusing their retard-o-rays on a worthy cause, though.

Aldo on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    None of the images you've linked to are showing up. Just an FYI.
    I know, there's a firewall. Copy url > paste to address bar

Azio on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The 'protest' will be 90% no-shows and everyone will laugh about it then 4chan will go back to posting loli pics.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    hundreds eh

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    melbourne rally
    thats a LOT of fricken people

supposedly the head count for sydney was 150 and melbourne was 200-230

from the sydney rally:
    ay4qbm.jpg
    2253549795_bdf100c0fd.jpg?v=0
    2253502781_3c2e1f3f92.jpg?v=0
    set-72157603882379333

delphinus on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Apparently false news articles saying the protests turned violent have been put up, and subsequently taken down when people started noticing the pictures were from a different protest that happened back in 2005.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2008
    yeah, guess who leaked em.

if you dont care about all this, i do suggest keeping an eye out for the clearwater protest. that one might have the fireworks people are looking for since theyre throwing 2 counter protests.

delphinus on
    edited February 2008
    230 is not 'a lot of frickin' people'. Have you ever been to a protest?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    delphinus wrote: »
    ay4qbm.jpg

That's... ah... real impressive. I guess there's nothing left for Miscaviage to do but disband the organization.

Nartwak on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

Hell, there was almost ten times more of people who participated in "No Pants 2k8" for crying out loud. This thing only is getting attention because it's Scientology + 4chan.

DarkPrimus on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

For what this is*, I'd say it's probably not bad.

Somewhat legitimate cause turned SA? and 4chan wankfest/forum meet

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    report from the london guys is that there are over 700 people at the protest right now.

HOLY SHIT.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited February 2008
    tell me you're being sarcastic please

seriously anyone who thinks this will make more waves than that bit at the end of the evening news where they talk about lost kittens and people who enter pie-eating competitions is kidding themselves

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited February 2008

seriously anyone who thinks this will make more waves than that bit at the end of the evening news where they talk about lost kittens and people who enter pie-eating competitions is kidding themselves

meh, it's not like they're out there doing this to personally prove anything to you.

EDIT: Apparently BBC news is at the London protest.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited February 2008
    what kind of a stupid thing is that to say? My point is that they're not going to meet their goals. They're going to have a fun party in the park and go home feeling like big men because a couple of coppers eyeballed them. Acting like they're going to take down the scientologists is fucking retarded.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    what kind of a stupid thing is that to say? My point is that they're not going to meet their goals. They're going to have a fun party in the park and go home feeling like big men because a couple of coppers eyeballed them. Acting like they're going to take down the scientologists is fucking retarded.

Their goal is media attention. They're the top news story on www.news.com.au, and the BBC News is at the london protest. Read their manifesto, they spell out what they're planning on doing very clearly. And they've thus far accomplished, especially considering that the big protest (i.e. the one in clearwater) hasn't even begun yet.

What you're seeing is the auxiliary effects.

TheSonicRetard on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It is my belief that these people are working outwith of Anonymous as individuals with the same common goal; Anonymous being the catalyst for them.

A Stand Alone Complex. Yes!

*taps cyberbrain*

WMain00 on
  • PillsAreNicePillsAreNice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This probably won't make big waves in the news, but it will probably start bringing more attention to how screwed up Scientology is. Which is good enough.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my game reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=strangegamer
    edited February 2008
    I'm looking forward to the Scientologists pointing out how screwed up 4chan is. :P

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    but everybody already knows scientology is crazy!

and aldo makes a highly relevant point, because even Tom Cruise looks sane next to a thread full of the shit that gets posted on 4chan.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • PillsAreNicePillsAreNice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

and aldo makes a highly relevant point, because even Tom Cruise looks sane next to a thread full of the shit that gets posted on 4chan.

Not everybody knows about the evil shit they've pulled.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my game reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=strangegamer
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm just amazed that this even working. Sure, 230 people may not be many, but they are still achieving their goal, media attention.

Hopefully the rest of the protests around the world get this much attention.

noobert on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd like to go to the Dublin one, just to see what your average Irish chantard looks like, although this probably won't do much, overall it's causing quite a bit of spectacle.

Tav on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Sitting on a bus was retarded too. She just wanted to feel like a man. Or wait.

RichardTauber on
    edited February 2008

Are you comparing a few hundred kids yelling at Tom Cruise to Rosa Parks? D:

Aldo on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wonder how many of the reporters will end up going to the hentai/alternative section of 4chan.

Couscous on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The point of a protest is attention. They're getting it. Go them.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    edited February 2008

That's a great attitude you have there.

Don't try to change things.

I mean 4chan is a shithole of fucks but if they want to play activist together and actually follow through with it then more power to them.

But I guess it's easier sitting back and mocking them then doing anything proactive.

Kagera on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

Why not?

Today, Rosa Parks is held up as a champion of equality.
    Back in the day, she was a tired woman whose feet hurt. I've never read any account of Rosa Parks that said she had wanted or planned to become an icon for a movement. But by standing up (or more accurately not standing up) she helped set in motion drastic change that needed to happen.

If the Channers can bring real media attention to the unpleasent side of scientology, more power to them.
    If they just wanted to get together with internet buddies and wear masks while waving signs, again more power to them.

see317 on
    edited February 2008
    At the very least they are socializing and getting fresh air, probably not the most common thing for them.

Kagera on
    edited February 2008
    thanks cat,
    no ive never been to a protest before. i didnt realize there was a standard number on how these things were graded.
    next time people say something about something else, ill make sure to crunch the numbers before theyre allowed to.

some feel they get away from corrupting cops, murder, slander, breaking up families, emotional and physical abuse of its members. so how about you just let them stand in front of a building that is VERY far away from where you are? is that okay?

in other news:
    -the UK protest has become the IRL version of meme chanting (400 people)
    -Aussies had a turn out of 400-1000 people
    -New Zealand had a turn out of 5 people
    -Japan had a turn out of 1
    -1 Scio arrest for assault trying to unmask a protestor so far

delphinus on
    edited February 2008
    see317 wrote: »

Why not?

Today, Rosa Parks is held up as a champion of equality.
    Back in the day, she was a tired woman whose feet hurt. I've never read any account of Rosa Parks that said she had wanted or planned to become an icon for a movement. But by standing up (or more accurately not standing up) she helped set in motion drastic change that needed to happen.

If the Channers can bring real media attention to the unpleasent side of scientology, more power to them.
    If they just wanted to get together with internet buddies and wear masks while waving signs, again more power to them.

I am not saying that what these kids are doing is stupid, but I consider it rather disheartening to compare their get-together with the brave deed of Rosa Parks. These are just some kids standing outside with picket signs, Rosa Parks stood up against a racist regime.

In short: Rosa Parks was a brave hero, these 4channers are just protesting. People protest against horrible things every day, there's nothing brave about it.

Aldo on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey, folks, let's just chalk this up as a win, alright? The video I saw was pretty entertaining (my immediate reaction: "Holy shit they have Stephen Hawking doing the voiceover!"), and there's nothing wrong with attacking Scientology because it's a cult led by scam artists.

Better that than all the horrible trouble that bored technokids could be getting into.

Dracomicron on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yet nobody is doing anything about, but these people are.

When this was first announced, everyone just scoffed at this. Hell, Cat, you locked the original thread on this, dismissing the entire topic out of hand even though people wanted to discuss it. And now that it turns out that 4chaners actually are getting out of the house to protest, you still just come in here to criticize. Chill the fuck out a bit, this isn't a bad accomplishment for a bunch of nameless internet geeks to pull off, and the cause is worthy.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey, folks, let's just chalk this up as a win, alright? The video I saw was pretty entertaining (my immediate reaction: "Holy shit they have Stephen Hawking doing the voiceover!"), and there's nothing wrong with attacking Scientology because it's a cult led by scam artists.

Better that than all the horrible trouble that bored technokids could be getting into.

Yeah, I don't see what all the hate is about. The 4channers get to feel like they're doing something important (and they go outside to do it), the high-level Scientologists get something to laugh at while they sip champagne and bathe in a hot tub filled with $100 bills, and we get to ignore it thanks to the wonders of the internet, if we so choose. The world, nay, America wins.

One Thousand Cables on
    edited February 2008
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

When this was first announced, everyone just scoffed at this. Hell, Cat, you locked the original thread on this, dismissing the entire topic out of hand even though people wanted to discuss it. And now that it turns out that 4chaners actually are getting out of the house to protest, you still just come in here to criticize. Chill the fuck out a bit, this isn't a bad accomplishment for a bunch of nameless internet geeks to pull off, and the cause is worthy.

No, the original thread didn't have an appropriate OP for this subforum. I believe it got locked with the specific message to try again with a decent OP.

Aldo on
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm heading over to the Philadelphia protest right now (though I'm late). Frankly I just see this as a bit of fun. There are other stuff going on around this (if you checked the message boards they have set up, you'd see some pretty interesting things). Lots of people have labeled things stupid and a waste of time that have shown not to be when it came to writing history books and such. Not saying that this will be the outcome, but to not knock it, especially if you only get the "shallow" aspect of the entire thing.

Some people are actually putting their heart and soul into this, you know.

Mim on
  • CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've been following this since the beginning it really is interesting and for a good cause. Anon doesn't think its going to get the church shut down. They are trying to educate people on why and how its a dangerous cult by garnering attention. I mean, I know I learned a lot about Scientology and how it kills people and such like by me looking up Project Chanology. Its a worthy cause and I think its pretty fucking awesome that this was started and kept momentum on the internet, with no leader and only a set of guidelines agreed upon by Anon.

Go them.

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/PROJECT_CHANOLOGY
    http://www.partyvan.info/index.php/Project_Chanology
    http://forums.enturbulation.org/
    http://www.whyaretheydead.net/

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

No, the original thread didn't have an appropriate OP for this subforum. I believe it got locked with the specific message to try again with a decent OP.

Yeah, thats not the one I'm talking about though:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=48483

The Cat's reason for locking:
    This is getting locked because nothing's going to happen in here besides us all confirming our impression of 4chan as a haven of idiots and circlejerking over that. Entertaining idiots, to be sure, but still.

I sent a PM asking that the thread be re-opened, that it was a valid topic and worthy of discussion. I received no reply.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.