As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Collectable Card Games for DS (Or GBA I suppose)

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
The experience of youth and dabblings with 'Magic the Gathering' have taught me that I like the gameplay and mechanics of Collectable Card Games but I don't like the silly money they can cost combined with the efforts involved in convincing someone I know to also indulge in such an odd hobby so I have someone to play against.

As such I'm looking to find games that can fulfill my wants without all the bother involved in physical pieces of card and human interaction. Portable seems to be the way these games would play best and DS is the portable I have.

Now given the lack of a 'Tragic DS' that I am aware of, I was thinking of looking into 'Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship 2008'. Reasoning being that, as far as I can tell, it's the entire card library in game form, it contains a full and extensive tutorial and I figure that at least one of the reasons the brand is so big must be a decent game somewhere behind all the Anime (I am guessing, I may be wrong).

Is this an excellent/horrible choice?

Are there any other games I'm overlooking?

Advise me, oh Great Collective Knowledge of G&T.

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is a Marvel Trading Card game available for the DS, but all reviews I've seen of it make it seem not too good.

The DS is practicaly built to have a Magic: The Gathering licensed game, if they can get over the idea of microtransactions to buy more cards, just make them unlockable, or earnable in game, and the make the main point of the game focusing on the customization of your decks.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The GBC pokémon card game was ace. I don't think GBC games work on DS's though...

LewieP on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is a kingdom hearts game with a card mechanic for the GBA that's supposed to be pretty good. The story plays in the period between KH1 and KH2, so if you care about that thing, you might want to play KH1 first.

I've played some of the YugiOh gba games. The game has some ridiculously powerful cheeze cards, and i liked exploiting all the unbalanced cards, but it did get old after a while. Maybe the newest version has more cards, the old versions were a bit lacking in that department. You could not easily collect the cards you want, since you could only buy booster packs in the game or something stupid like that, but maybe they fixed that.

The story and characters are pretty idiotic (see YugiOh the abridged series for a hilarious take on this), but the card game is okay for a 2nd hand price i guess.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    The GBC pokémon card game was ace. I don't think GBC games work on DS's though...

You're right. That game was good and GBC games don't work on the DS. It'd be nice if they made a new one for DS.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    There is a Marvel Trading Card game available for the DS, but all reviews I've seen of it make it seem not too good.

The DS is practicaly built to have a Magic: The Gathering licensed game, if they can get over the idea of microtransactions to buy more cards, just make them unlockable, or earnable in game, and the make the main point of the game focusing on the customization of your decks.

Most of the Marvel TCG reviews I looked at tended to say it wasn't bad for Marvel/TCG fans who were willing to deal with the learning curve.

I picked it up with my DS yesterday, mostly because Best Buy had one in stock, I had an interest in it, and I think it will be hard to find later. Still dealing with the learning curve but doesn't seem too bad.

I would KILL for a video game version of Decipher's Star Wars CCG, but that'll never happen :(.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is a kingdom hearts game with a card mechanic for the GBA that's supposed to be pretty good.

It's not.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    There is a kingdom hearts game with a card mechanic for the GBA that's supposed to be pretty good.

It's not.

It's fine.

So are all the Yu-gi-Oh DS games, and every one after Nightmare Troubador has the added bonus of online play.

Apparently Int Sys, Nintendo's famous in house developers of such games as Advance Wars, Paper Mario, and Fire Emblem made a card game that came out in Japan. Apparently, it is the best thing ever made ever. No status on its release to parts where moon language isn't the norm, but I'm sure interested.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It's not.

It's fine.

I made it through the entire game just mashing the A button. It's crap.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It's not.

It's fine.

So are all the Yu-gi-Oh DS games, and every one after Nightmare Troubador has the added bonus of online play.

Apparently Int Sys, Nintendo's famous in house developers of such games as Advance Wars, Paper Mario, and Fire Emblem made a card game that came out in Japan. Apparently, it is the best thing ever made ever. No status on its release to parts where moon language isn't the norm, but I'm sure interested.

:(

Intelligent Systems games are the best games.

LewieP on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It's not.

It's fine.

So you think it's crap because you, apparently, made a concentrated effort to not have fun by doing nothing but mash A?

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It's not.

It's fine.

So you think it's crap because you, apparently, made a concentrated effort to not have fun by doing nothing but mash A?

"This game is absurdly easy" is probably a valid criticism. :|

Is the Fullmetal Alchemist TCG on the DS any good? For someone who hasn't seen, and doesn't desire to see, the TV show?

I can't think of any others. Chocobo Tales comes close, but though it is one of my favorite DS games, it really doesn't count.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    You're right. That game was good and GBC games don't work on the DS. It'd be nice if they made a new one for DS.
    I would love one with an extended deck.

It'd be a nostalgasm, I'd be able to relive all the old glory days of being... 12.

Senshi on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Senshi wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    I would love one with an extended deck.

It'd be a nostalgasm, I'd be able to relive all the old glory days of being... 12.

I don't know if it'd be that nostalgic as they'd probably use new cards instead of the old ones. As far as I understand the old cards aren't even tounament legal.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you are going for a Yu-Gi-Oh! game on the DS, I would actually recommend going with Dual Spirit over either of the World Championship games.

It takes FOREVER to get cards in the WC games, which kind of lessened my enjoyment of it. Dual Spirit... well, there is a pack buying glitch in the game that allows you to buy entire BOXES of packs for the price of a single pack. Basically allows you to make decks out of whatever you want, instead of being limited to a bunch of really shitty cards for the majority of the game.

Dual Spirit also has the very nice advantage of having a full story mode in it, which actually makes the game flow a bit better, which the WC games do not. and, yes, It does use the actual game rules, like the WC games, which alot of the older YGO games did not (they made their own rules and shit).

The Marvel TCG game is alright... nothing great though. I did not like the controls at all for it though. Dont know why.

Fullmetal Alchemist is decent. It has a good mechanic behind the TCG itself, but I didnt get alot of play in on the DS version, so Im not sure on it overall.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you are going for a Yu-Gi-Oh! game on the DS, I would actually recommend going with Dual Spirit over either of the World Championship games.

This is truth. I played one of the WC games, and the problem of getting new cards really spoiled my long time enjoyment. You are stuck with using the same unbalanced mechanics over and over again to make up for your shitty other cards. When you can get many cards, you can actually make the game interesting by making minimal decks and complicated combos. There are some stupid monster type specific card effects in the game that you will never be able to use effectively unless you buy a gigantic amount of booster cards to get the proper monsters for example.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It's not.

It's fine.

It struck me as not quite a card game and not quite an action game. A bastard son that combines the worst of both worlds. You're not really putting together a "deck" so much as queuing up a set of actions without knowing which actions you'll need and then having to deal with the fact that at any moment your "attack" button might suddenly change into a "use potion" button.

I recall hearing that there was a PS2 version of the game remade in Japan. It probably uses the cards, but I can't help but wonder how this game would feel if they dropped the stupid card thing and just let me hit enemies like in KH 1 or 2.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think they made a game based on the Dragon Ball Z TCG on the GBA. No idea how it is.

And the Pokémon TCG on the GBC is indeed ace. Opening those shiny boosters is like a crack addiction. I don't think it'll be easy to find a used copy though.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png